Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think is the source of the graphics issues on Mac Pro (Late 2013) ?

• Hardware

Votes: 68 52.7%
  • Software

Votes: 28 21.7%
  • Hardware & Software

Votes: 32 24.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
If they're running this under sustained load for days, could that not shorten the lifespan of the machine?

Whether or not that is the case, the user still ends up with a refurb but without getting the refurb discount.

I think, for a newish machine (up to say 6 months or so), they should replace it without hesitation. These things should work right out of the box.

If they actually did stress test the machine for days, then I'd agree with you. My experience was that the diagnostic tests didn't replicate the problems because it was clear they didn't run them for that long. It was only when the display errors happened right in front of them while I was there that I got a GPU replacement. Subsequent to that, when the coil whine problem developed, it was having a recording of the noise that did the trick in getting them to replace the whole machine since they couldn't reproduce it themselves either.

The point is that Apple in fact does do the right thing once the problem is identified (replaced hardware, replaced machines), but the diagnostic processes at the Genius bar don't work well, particularly for the nMP. Also nMP users are too quick to blame software bugs for intermittent hardware issues and because they're using these professionally, there's a legitimate concern about being without one's machine for a week.

bax2003

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
First, about getting new machine from Apple:

- You have 14 days to return machine if you have problems or you are not satisfied, but only if you bought machine from Apple Retail or if you bought it from Apple Online store. That is guaranteed. After 14 days, machine goes to Genius for solution or directly to service depending on problem.

- If you bought machine from Apple Authorized Reseller, that is completely different story.
https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/sales-policies/reseller.html
As you can read here, every reseller can have their own policy.

Anyhow, I bought machine in another country (cca 400km away from me now), and when problems started....try this and that, wait for 10.10.3....time passed. So I do not have any other solutions other than Authorized Service, and they all have the same policy...they must fix your machine.

To provoke this problem, you do not have to do anything special....and guys from Authorized Service offered me to test machine myself for a few days when they change first GPU. So my machine will not be turtured.

Last edited:

damezumari

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2014
My system with dual 4K monitors would KP often on 10.10.2 and has been back to normal on 10.10.3 beta.

Seems to be fixed in 10.10.3 for me as well - so far only about 4? resumes as I have been traveling but usually it did some sort of ****up half the time if not more.

Oh well, at least I got the nMP's fan fixed when I had it sit 3 weeks being 'repaired' ('no issues found except whiny fan').

damezumari

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2014
Seems to be fixed in 10.10.3 for me as well - so far only about 4? resumes as I have been traveling but usually it did some sort of ****up half the time if not more.

False alarm here, unfortunately. After few (perhaps week's worth?) of daily resumes, I got GPU reset loop this morning. At least no kernel panic, but sigh..

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
False alarm here, unfortunately. After few (perhaps week's worth?) of daily resumes, I got GPU reset loop this morning. At least no kernel panic, but sigh..

Unfortunately, this can be such an occasional/intermittent issue that one must allow a long time to elapse before tentatively concluding it has be cured. Even then, you will never know for sure: if everything is fine at day N there is always a chance that the machine will misbehave at day N+1. Randomly trying things and waiting is a weak diagnostic approach, but unfortunately there does not seem to be a better one that I am aware of.

I had offered to let Apple remotely log onto the machine when the fault was occurring, to catch it in the act so to speak and perhaps diagnose what was happening. I had found that during these lockups ssh access is still possible. Apple were not inclined to do that. They do have a diagnostic tool they can use, but, alas, it has a GUI interface - not helpful if it's the GUI that is frozen!

Regarding my own situation:

After a lengthy process of trying to eliminate software issues, there remained nothing obvious left to try that could plausibly eliminate the fault. I had tried various things, such as removing 3rd party software, using different OS versions and finally I resorted to a complete reinstall without any extra software and contented myself with just using Safari. Things were fine for a few days and then the machine locked up.

Fortunately - and I had to be persistent - the retailer offered to replace the machine and I am grateful for that. I do hope the problem will not reoccur with this new machine. I have used it for a few hours and no problems thus far, but it is early days yet so I don't want to raise my hopes too far.

At some point I may try comparing the saved copy of the logs from my old machine with the logs from the new one, to see if there are any interesting differences between the two.

I will keep you updated on how things go. To those that still have the issue, I wish you the best of luck (hopefully not too much luck needed!) and, please, let us know how you are getting on. The more information we collectively have, the greater the chance of identifying any shared factors linked to a possible fault.

Thanks.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
I've been fighting with this issue for the last few weeks and wow is it frustrating. It is currently with Apple getting the second graphics card replacement but I'm not optimistic. AppleCare had no idea on the phone and when I took it to the Apple store the way the kids eyes glazed over when explaining the problem and then looking at the logs I have 0 confidence that they have any clue what they are doing.

bax2003

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
I've been fighting with this issue for the last few weeks and wow is it frustrating. It is currently with Apple getting the second graphics card replacement but I'm not optimistic. AppleCare had no idea on the phone and when I took it to the Apple store the way the kids eyes glazed over when explaining the problem and then looking at the logs I have 0 confidence that they have any clue what they are doing.

It looks just like that, they have no idea:
1 - Change GPU-B
2 - Change GPU-A
3 - Change both GPUs
4 - PSU
5 - Other electronics

So this is either some kind of hardware incompatibility (between GPUs and GPUs and logic board) or some kind of hardware imperfection which manifests itself in this manner: random freezing. I just do not know, but unfortunately Apple does not either.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
It looks just like that, they have no idea:
1 - Change GPU-B
2 - Change GPU-A
3 - Change both GPUs
4 - PSU
5 - Other electronics

So this is either some kind of hardware incompatibility (between GPUs and GPUs and logic board) or some kind of hardware imperfection which manifests itself in this manner: random freezing. I just do not know, but unfortunately Apple does not either.

Has anyone actually had this problem fixed yet? Obviously I don't expect it to come back to me fixed but will anything fix it short of a replacement?

bax2003

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Has anyone actually had this problem fixed yet? Obviously I don't expect it to come back to me fixed but will anything fix it short of a replacement?

One by one Apple will change all components inside Mac Pro and that will be fix. I just hope that they will eventually find out what the problems is, so that this never happens in future hardware revisions.

There is one case from my Authorized Service Provider which is resolved at the end by changing both GPUs and logic board.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
One by one Apple will change all components inside Mac Pro and that will be fix. I just hope that they will eventually find out what the problems is, so that this never happens in future hardware revisions.

There is one case from my Authorized Service Provider which is resolved at the end by changing both GPUs and logic board.

Alright well I've spent 500 miles and 10 hours driving back and for waiting for days only to have the same problem. I might just buy something that actually works.

bax2003

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Alright well I've spent 500 miles and 10 hours driving back and for waiting for days only to have the same problem. I might just buy something that actually works.

If you reported issue to Apple within 14 days after purchase, they should give you new machine. Unfortunately I lost too much time diagnosing this myself.

There is nowhere on the internet topic like this, where this much people have gathered around this issue. Why did I have to be topic creator :( ;)

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
If you reported issue to Apple within 14 days after purchase, they should give you new machine. Unfortunately I lost too much time diagnosing this myself.

There is nowhere on the internet topic like this, where this much people have gathered around this issue. Why did I have to be topic creator ;)

Tell me about it, I spent about a month figuring out exactly what was up. I never found any more info either, this is the first thread I've stumbled across that is the exact issue I've had.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
Mac Pro (Late 2013) GPU (Driver) Issues

Tell me about it, I spent about a month figuring out exactly what was up. I never found any more info either, this is the first thread I've stumbled across that is the exact issue I've had.

I think are one or two small threads over at Apple's discussion forums, but I have to say not very many people affected posting there. E.g.:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6439490

The replacement here has not frozen yet, so a few molecules of hope are circulating in the air. Still too early to be confident, though.

bax2003

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
I just got word from Authorised Service. They changed GPU-B, so I am going to pick i t up and test it. They change GPU-B firstly because it has PCIe Flash storage connector on one side. Apple's procedure.

I'll keep you posted...

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
Just got mine back today with the second card replaced, so I have 2 brand new GPUs. We shall see how it goes but I'm not terribly hopeful.

Anyone with multiple monitors, has anyone gotten monitors to register to different graphics cards? I can only get my monitors to register to the GPU in Slot 2, nothing I do gets anything registered to slot 1.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Just got mine back today with the second card replaced, so I have 2 brand new GPUs. We shall see how it goes but I'm not terribly hopeful.

Anyone with multiple monitors, has anyone gotten monitors to register to different graphics cards? I can only get my monitors to register to the GPU in Slot 2, nothing I do gets anything registered to slot 1.

All displays are physically connected to the GPU in slot 2. The other GPU is reserved exclusively for compute tasks.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Good info, thanks. I couldn't seem to find that anywhere.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1859534/

I am currently testing my Mac Pro with replaced GPU-B (2)....fingers crossed.

EDIT: No problems after 6 hours...

ItIqxDY.png

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
From "System Information" on the replacement machine:

AMD FirePro D300:

Chipset Model: AMD FirePro D300
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 2048 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6810
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C4012F-687
gMux Version: 4.0.11 [3.2.8]
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.687

The other card has the same details, apart from slot number.

bax2003

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
AMD FirePro D300: (changed GPU)

Chipset Model: AMD FirePro D300
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-2
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 2048 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6810
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C4012F-687
gMux Version: 4.0.11 [3.2.8]
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.687

EDIT: No problems after 24 hours...

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
So far so good for me as well. My problems came up primarily when I had some sort of video playing, youtube or something like that. I've had videos playing non-stop since I got it back to verify.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.