Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think is the source of the graphics issues on Mac Pro (Late 2013) ?

• Hardware

Votes: 68 52.7%
  • Software

Votes: 28 21.7%
  • Hardware & Software

Votes: 32 24.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

boli

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
I replaced my last Mac Pro with a Mac Studio in March 2022.

It was a 6-core model, the 2nd warranty replacement of a 4-core Mac Pro bought in June 2014. While it had worked flawlessly for longer than any previous ones, it started having occasional kernel panics toward the end of its use as well.

1. The first one I had from from June 2014 to December 2016 (a little over 2 years).
  2. The second one from December 2016 to September 2018 (close to 2 years).
  3. And the third one was in use until March 2022 (~3.5 years).
So at least in my experience the problem was never really solved, and it was only a matter of time until it manifested itself. To be fair, with the 2 warranty replacements its total lifespan of 7.5 years was kind of fine. If I hadn't been waiting for an Apple Silicon Mac suiting my needs, I'd have replaced it earlier.

PS: my Mac Pros were usually running the most recent supported version of macOS.

eepyikes

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2011
This thread isn't seeing any action. Does that mean the issue has been resolved in the latest macOS?

Echoing @eepyikes ... can anybody please clarify what is the latest working firmware/macOS?

As in 100% does not 'freeze'...

If there is no 100% solution, what is the nearest we've got?

My problem prior to Mojave was the freezes.. hence I've stuck with Mojave as it's 100% rock solid.. but software is beginning to be unsupported

Thanks 🙏
Sorry, haven't been back here in a while. Still using my D300 mac via VNC and haven't had any more crashes. Again, this is no longer plugged into any monitor and it's running Monterey 12.6.5

Seems the battle is lost for some of us who hoped to use the machine for the extent it was bought for. Def feel ripped off, but there you have it. Going to try to get as much value out of it as I can as a remote desktop.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.