Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think is the source of the graphics issues on Mac Pro (Late 2013) ?

• Hardware

Votes: 68 52.7%
  • Software

Votes: 28 21.7%
  • Hardware & Software

Votes: 32 24.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

macfelon

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2022
Ok, the latest beta, 12.4 - 3? It's been really solid. I've been able to play warthunder (7dtd crashes but that's probably their games issue honestly) use chrome, photos, etc. Even in dark/sleep it's staying up.

Last edited:

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
So which versions of betas do iclude the 430.100.120 firmware? The latest from this month supposedly does? Is 430.120 confirmed to sleep well with Big Sur too, not just Monterey. Anyone tried?
I am beginning to feel too tired waiting for Apple anymore.

Last edited:

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
Never mind, I took the second latest and bootrom is now 430.120.6.0.0
First I'll run it with beta and test the sleep. Then after a while, I'll go for Big Sur and test that too.

macfelon

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2022
So which versions of betas do iclude the 430.100.120 firmware? The latest from this month supposedly does? Is 430.120 confirmed to sleep well with Big Sur too, not just Monterey. Anyone tried?
I am beginning to feel too tired waiting for Apple anymore.
12.4 beta 3 is where it seems to have applied in the stack. I think we're at beta 4 or 5 now.

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
For anyone interested, I started the Big Sur / 430.120.6.0.0 tests today.
Monterey 430.120 Beta firmware + Big Sur

ps. the thing is, I need Big Sur for now, because of full compatibility and error + crash free performance with Graphisoft ArchiCAD. Maybe there are some other things and programs too, but that's my main prog for everyday and every hour use. Can't do without it.

Reactions: dabotsonline

beerstine

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Wondering if anyone else is having random restart issues with Big Sur and the 430.120.6.0.0 firmware. Have had 3 restarts in the last week doing normal video work and once doing simple web browsing, not necessarily heavy CPU/GPU loads. Have bumped up fan levels some, but it seem strangely reminiscent of the issues that led to my original 6,1 being replaced under AppleCare years ago. They never disclosed the reason for replacing the computer but I always suspected thermal issues, probably video card related.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Wondering if anyone else is having random restart issues with Big Sur and the 430.120.6.0.0 firmware. Have had 3 restarts in the last week doing normal video work and once doing simple web browsing, not necessarily heavy CPU/GPU loads. Have bumped up fan levels some, but it seem strangely reminiscent of the issues that led to my original 6,1 being replaced under AppleCare years ago. They never disclosed the reason for replacing the computer but I always suspected thermal issues, probably video card related.
Have you updated to the most recent Big Sur 11.6.8 because then you should be on 430.140.2.0.0 (released 20th July 2022).
No issues whatsoever on my D300 and D500 machines. Sleep/wake works perfectly. No thermal issues even with +30°C ambient temperatures (although only high CPU tasks, not GPU).

Reactions: ikir and macfelon

macfelon

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2022
I gotta say since I went into the Monterrey Beta program? I haven't had **** for issues. My late 2013 D300 mac pro has been super solid, running two 27" cinema displays.

Reactions: ikir

macfelon

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2022
Have you updated to the most recent Big Sur 11.6.8 because then you should be on 430.140.2.0.0.
No issues whatsoever on my D300 and D500 machine. Sleep/wake works perfectly. No thermal issues even witch +30°C ambient temperatures.
I agree with Arw, that firmware version is really good. Now once in a while like after a few weeks or so, sometimes I will get a graphics freakout, but it used to be daily. This is such an improvement I don't even hardly notice an issue ever.

Recovers from sleep, runs for weeks, plays hard pounding graphics games, I'm seriously impressed.

beerstine

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Have you updated to the most recent Big Sur 11.6.8 because then you should be on 430.140.2.0.0 (released 20th July 2022).
No issues whatsoever on my D300 and D500 machines. Sleep/wake works perfectly. No thermal issues even with +30°C ambient temperatures (although only high CPU tasks, not GPU).
I am on 11.6.7 currently, avoided doing updates during the middle of an large editing project. I should have time in the next 24 hours to get that installed.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
Interesting discovery here:
Still need 32bit stuff on Mac as well as Bootcamp, so I decided to replace my MacPro 4 Core 16GB D300 with a 6 Core 64GB D700 and a Crucial SSD 1TB.

I got it with the most recent version of Monterey. Erased everything and restored my old configuration Mojave 10.14.6 and Bootcamp Windows 10.

2 Weeks now. No crash. Nothing. Just running everything as on the old machine. I even run "critital" things like some online-videos, which caused crashes 100%. Not a single problem.

Last edited:

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Interesting discovery here:
Still need 32bit stuff on Mac as well as Bootcamp, so I decided to replace my MacPro 4 Core 16GB D300 with a 6 Core 64GB D700 and a Crucial SSD 1TB.

I got it with the most recent version of Monterey. Erased everything and restored my old configuration Mojave 10.14.6 and Bootcamp Windows 10.

2 Weeks now. No crash. Nothing. Just running everything as on the old machine. I even run "critital" things like some online-videos, which caused crashes 100%. Not a single problem.
Nice, so the fix is really in a firmware, not macos software.
However windows11 was running solid even before this fw update.

Reactions: dabotsonline

Malbone

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2009
I have a late 2013 trashcan with a D300 GPU that is still running Catalina. I had been getting these GPU crashes once every other day or so, sometimes twice in one day.

I disabled "power nap" in Energy settings and installed Macs Fan Control, which helped somewhat, but the crashes continued.

Then I went through my software to get rid of stuff I don't use. I uninstalled the free version of a video streamer/splitter app called "alfacast screen mirror app" (obtained from the Mac App Store). That was several months ago, and the machine has not crashed once in that time.

Reactions: vddobrev

eepyikes

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2011
Has anyone tried Ventura yet? (I didn't check yet to see if it can even be installed, though I've heard of previous version being forced to install somehow on older cpus)

Last edited:

Strangely Brown

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2020
I thought the Mac Pro was unsupported. Someone may produce a hacked installer but not sure how much ongoing effort would be required to stay up-to-date.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Ventura is already running on the MP6,1. It's still in beta, so not yet 100% functional or stable (crashes in Maps and my mouse hangs).
But regarding this thread, I deem any new revelations unlikely as the MP6,1 is unsupported, so there is no new firmware and the GPU drivers are backported (if I understood correctly).
(Not that I have any problems on my D300 and D500 machine on 11.7.1 with the not-most-recent 430.140.2.0.0)

Last edited:

eepyikes

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2011
So what is the latest MacOS anyone has had running 100% no crashes regarding this error?

As far as I know, Mojave is the latest that actually works 100%--specifically because I somehow worked my way through Apple Support to a senior tech who took mercy on us, and pushed a fix into Mojave. But it broke with Catalina.

I see loose comments about getting it working with a later version though. If anyone has done this, can you confirm/explain the process? Again, only looking for 100% here. "Only crashes every 3 weeks" is not 100%, that's exactly the bug we have lol.

Reactions: FilthyMcNasty

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
So what is the latest MacOS anyone has had running 100% no crashes regarding this error?
I'm still on Big Sur (11.7.1) with the latest 470.0.0.0.0 and regarding sleep/freeze issues this is 100% stable on my 12-core D300 and D500 machine.
..IF it boots correctly! Since 430.120.6.0.0 both machines occasionally boot with no video out or don't boot at all.
Unfortunately I forgot to block the firmware update as I never had this problem with 429.60.3.0.0 or earlier.

Last edited:

Cryptosmasher

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2016
Greetings fellow sufferers - I had two trashcans in storage (meant for sale I never got around to) and fired em up, I know they were always rock solid on Mojave - wondering what people's experiences were on Monterey (which seems to be the last supported OS) or Apple forbid Ventura via open boot ? both have d300 one was manually upgraded to a 12 core.

thanks and happy new year

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
With latest firmware it is very stable on Monterey. it is possibile to install venture with OpenCore.

Cryptosmasher

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2016
With latest firmware it is very stable on Monterey. it is possibile to install venture with OpenCore.
Scrolling back I saw a lot of discussion re specific firmware versions ? has been this resolved if I just straight upgrade to Monterey ?

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Scrolling back I saw a lot of discussion re specific firmware versions ? has been this resolved if I just straight upgrade to Monterey ?
Last firmware is stable, you need usually original SSD to make the installer update your firmware.

eepyikes

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2011
I moved on to a Mac Studio for my main machine, but still running the trashcan for Lightroom, etc via VNC. Bit the bullet and updated to 12.6.1 Monterey and I did get one freeze, so far. It just got a solid red screen via VNC after the usual freezing mouse. So I guess this isn't solved in this version. Maybe I missed something in the above posts about which version is working. It was def stable before updating to Monterey. Surprised it's even freezing via VNC without a monitor plugged in, but there you have it.

Reactions: filmak

julik_tar

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2017
Recording for posterity: after that replacement I've been using my MP6.1 for years (including through all the Covid lockdown), no GPU issues. I believe the replacement fixed it. I did discover that there is some damage on the copper coldplate of the GPU B and decided to replace the thermal core of the machine, but the GPU itself seems to be doing fine.

FilthyMcNasty

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2014

As far as I know, Mojave is the latest that actually works 100%--specifically because I somehow worked my way through Apple Support to a senior tech who took mercy on us, and pushed a fix into Mojave. But it broke with Catalina.

I see loose comments about getting it working with a later version though. If anyone has done this, can you confirm/explain the process? Again, only looking for 100% here. "Only crashes every 3 weeks" is not 100%, that's exactly the bug we have lol.

This thread isn't seeing any action. Does that mean the issue has been resolved in the latest macOS?

Echoing @eepyikes ... can anybody please clarify what is the latest working firmware/macOS?

As in 100% does not 'freeze'...

If there is no 100% solution, what is the nearest we've got?

My problem prior to Mojave was the freezes.. hence I've stuck with Mojave as it's 100% rock solid.. but software is beginning to be unsupported

Thanks 🙏

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.