Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think is the source of the graphics issues on Mac Pro (Late 2013) ?

• Hardware

Votes: 68 52.7%
  • Software

Votes: 28 21.7%
  • Hardware & Software

Votes: 32 24.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Updated to Monterey 12.3 so far so good! Fast and no freeze, finally updated firmware!

FilthyMcNasty

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2014
Base D300 MP6,1 on Mojave here.. no 4K screens, but am running 2x 1080p plus 1x 720p projector simultaneously. It's been ROCK solid, not frozen once (it was a regular occurrence on prior MacOS).

Is there a clear risk-free upgrade route?? I'm enthused by your post @ikir

But if doing same here doesn't result in a stable system, I presume firmware cannot be restored?

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Base D300 MP6,1 on Mojave here.. no 4K screens, but am running 2x 1080p plus 1x 720p projector simultaneously. It's been ROCK solid, not frozen once (it was a regular occurrence on prior MacOS).

Is there a clear risk-free upgrade route?? I'm enthused by your post @ikir

But if doing same here doesn't result in a stable system, I presume firmware cannot be restored?
I suggest you to wait for macOS 12.4 to see if a new firmware comes out to fix sleep issue. There is a new sleep crash reboot, macOS 12.4 should come with firmware 430.x with this fix. I had no more D300 crash anyway.

Reactions: FilthyMcNasty

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
Regarding my earlier positive results with manually sleeping 6,1 D300 for a night, I tried a longer sleep of two whole days, and it crashed.

Last edited:

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Regarding my earlier positive results with manually sleeping 6,1 D300 for a night, I tried a longer sleep of two hole days, and it crashed.
Crash happens with firmware 429.x we need 430.x which was pulled in beta probably for other bugs. Lets hope in macOS 12.4

eepyikes

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2011
Crash happens with firmware 429.x we need 430.x which was pulled in beta probably for other bugs. Lets hope in macOS 12.4
Are you still crash-free at this point on 12.3?

Some of my software has hit a wall with Mojave and it's a shame this machine can't go beyond that...

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Are you still crash-free at this point on 12.3?

Some of my software has hit a wall with Mojave and it's a shame this machine can't go beyond that...
Other than sleep issue hopefully fixed in 12.4 I had no more GPU crashes. thermals are ok anyway since I've cleaned and changed thermal paste before the upgrade.

eepyikes

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2011
So do we know if it is a hardware or software issue? Those D300 are curse! I’m still on old firmware because third party SSD, I’ve ordered an original one so I can update to Monterey (and update firmware).

Does it happens on Mojave too?
It's sort of a combo of hardware/software issue. My posts on this are pretty far back in this thread, but I relentlessly hassled Apple until I somehow got to a senior tech. He fiddled with the issue a few days and found it could be fixed with software, so he sent it to the OS update crew to put a fix in Mojave...this is why it works perfect in Mojave. Catalina broke it again.

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
Ok that's good to know. I just starting testing this myself. Maybe I don't need to anymore.
It's hard to find and read everything that has happened with this D300 catastrophe by Apple. I am an owner of 6,1 for couple of years only, was not there at 2015 when the thread started. Now it's over 2000 posts long.

And the rant for today:
?
How on earth are they able to present the same faults again and again. No quality control between release versions? These yearly OS releases have become just ridiculous in my opinion. They seem to be a broken beta software for first few months, everyone of them nowadays. And some glitches are not fixed ever, like this one.
?
(hope it helps me emotionally to spat ithat out loud)

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
A D300 6,1, external Samsung T5 with Mojave, bootrom 429.60.3.0.0. Uptime 12 days.
First I let it be without sleeping. Then short sleeps, one night sleeps, and a longer little over 3 days sleep. No crashes. So I seem to have confirmed one more time what others allready knew.

I think the question is now, how on earth can we get Apple to fix this bug, at least for Big Sur and Monterey.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
D300 owner since early 2014 here.
I thought I had no problems due to only non-4K screens.
Although I have now switched to a 5K screen, it remains crash free (maybe because it‘s dual DP and not actually 4K over a single connector).
Still running the (apparently golden) 428.x firmware but now on the latest Big Sur 11.6.5 on the stock SSD.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Damn I got a freeze while screensaver was running. I think this issue was fixed with macOS 12.3 and the only one remaining was the sleep issue which is fixed by firmware 430.x that was pre-released in macOS 12.3 beta5. I had this freeze with HDMI which was always problematic, I had no freeze in weeks with mini display port. If you get screensaver freeze can you try to connect your display with Mini Display Port instead of HDMI (at least if you are on Monterey).

Attachments

• Kernel_2022-04-06-151236_Mac-Pro-2013.gpuRestart.zip
    6.6 KB · Views: 94

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
BTW I've install macOS 12.3 beta 5 (then opted out and updated to standard 12.3.1) which came with 430.x firmware, I will update you.

macfelon

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2022
I installed 12.3 on a mac pro 6,1, D300 AMD's, it still is doing the freeze, then a spin, then panic, then restart.

On System Firmware 429, and 2.20f18 SMC

Last edited:

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
I'm testing 430.x now with 12.3.1. BTW 12.4 public bet is out who wants to try? Friday Apple will call me about the issue

macfelon

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2022
Well, the things that seemed to cause it without fail, like graphics in chrome (aka, candy crush) and blowing up my machine on War Thunder, after the update have not done so, so far. Now for the long term test on 12.4 :).

Reactions: ikir

macfelon

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2022
Ok, well, it didn't take long, only a few hours for a massive series of GPU restarts still, and then a timeout spin, then a kernel panic. Information being sent to Apple.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Ok, well, it didn't take long, only a few hours for a massive series of GPU restarts still, and then a timeout spin, then a kernel panic. Information being sent to Apple.
So you are still on 429.xxx? Mine is pretty stable now thanks to 430.xxx

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Yes, I am on 429.xx. Where can I find 430.xx? I don't seem to have access to 12.3 b5.
Disclaimer: I wouldn‘t install a beta firmware that Apple withdrew and seems to bring along other unforseeable behaviour. I would wait (hope) for a GM firmware as downgrading back to 429.x is impossible.
But if you‘re feeling adventurous:
Code:
https://mrmacintosh.com/macos-12-monterey-full-installer-database-download-directly-from-apple/

Last edited:

macfelon

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2022
Disclaimer: I wouldn‘t install a beta firmware that Apple withdrew and seems to bring along other unforseeable behaviour. I would disable sleep and wait (hope) for a GM firmware.
But if you‘re feeling adventurous:
Code:
https://mrmacintosh.com/macos-12-monterey-full-installer-database-download-directly-from-apple/
It's mostly stable while I am actively using the system now, but... I still see GPU restarts during the day and sleep mode is turned off. Certain games just crash because the graphics goes offline.

I guess we'll have to wait longer...

macfelon

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2022
Ok, I have to refine my answer. It seems anything that triggers a Metal graphics call (certain games, Chrome browser), can fire a GPU restart. Games using OpenGL (like 7 days to die) run for hours and hours.

That's been my experience. I'm still getting frequent freezup restarts with 12.4 and Firmware 429.

RandomConstant

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2022
Pacific Northwest of the US
Greetings fellow freeze/crash sufferers!!

Just wanted to add my voice to this thread. Purchased a used 6,1 D300 machine around Feb. 2022 and it was humming right along until five days *after* the return period! I was not aware of this GPU issue and none of these topics came up on my pre-purchase research, so stinks to be me (and us), eh?? The Mac Pro is now back at the vendor, where they are essentially saying "We've tested it and have found nothing wrong". :rolleyes:

Data Points
Anyway, I too was having the .gpuRestart events. It really didn't seem to matter which apps were running and I *never* sleep my Mac -- I only sleep the screen using a hot corner. I use a low-ish resolution screen (1920x1200) connected to my 6,1 with a mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable (I don't use HDMI). Crashes/freezes started one day about thirty-six days after starting use of the machine. Running latest Monterey macOS 12.2.1 and firmware 429.60.3.0.

Crashes/freezes would happen with no apps running, while the monitor was sleeping, during a normal workday with Firefox, Thunderbird, Adium and Geany running, another time the issue happened while viewing a low-complexity 4K YouTube video in FF.

I don't get too crazy with installing a bunch of apps as I try to be as minimalist as possible. I do, however, need some stuff on here because I'm a developer and require certain tools for coding and testing in virtual machines. The major apps I've installed are Xcode, iLife stuff (Pages, etc), Lazarus IDE, MacPorts, Geany, Firefox, Thunderbird, Adium, LibreOffice, VirtualBox and Keka.

The 6,1 I'm using has an OWC Aura Pro SSD and no other hardware modifications.

Anyway, I haven't had the time to read this complete thread, but do hope this gets resolved someday -- otherwise I have a very expensive paperweight!

Last edited:

macfelon

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2022
Greetings fellow freeze/crash sufferers!!

Just wanted to add my voice to this thread. Purchased a used 6,1 D300 machine around Feb. 2022 and it was humming right along until five days *after* the return period! I was not aware of this GPU issue and none of these topics came up on my pre-purchase research, so stinks to be me (and us), eh?? The Mac Pro is now back at the vendor, where they are essentially saying "We've tested it and have found nothing wrong". :rolleyes:

Data Points
Anyway, I too was having the .gpuRestart events. It really didn't seem to matter which apps were running and I *never* sleep my Mac -- I only sleep the screen using a hot corner. I use a low-ish resolution screen (1920x1200) connected to my 6,1 with a mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable (I don't use HDMI). Crashes/freezes started one day about thirty-six days after starting use of the machine. Running latest Monterey macOS 12.2.1 and firmware 429.60.3.0.

Crashes/freezes would happen with no apps running, while the monitor was sleeping, during a normal workday with Firefox, Thunderbird, Adium and Geany running, another time the issue happened while viewing a low-complexity 4K YouTube video in FF.

I don't get too crazy with installing a bunch of apps as I try to be as minimalist as possible. I do, however, need some stuff on here because I'm a developer and require certain tools for coding and testing in virtual machines. The major apps I've installed are Xcode, iLife stuff (Pages, etc), Lazarus IDE, MacPorts, Geany, Firefox, Thunderbird, Adium, LibreOffice, VirtualBox and Keka.

The 6,1 I'm using has an OWC Aura Pro SSD and no other hardware modifications.

Anyway, I haven't had the time to read this complete thread, but do hope this gets resolved someday -- otherwise I have a very expensive paperweight!
I shut my down at night now when I'm not using it. I've switched to Firefox also. It's... lessened my occurrences, and the machine is useable, but I will still get a crash here and there. It's like learning how to live with a new cat...

Reactions: RandomConstant
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.