Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
No consumer? Well, I can't speak for the billions of other consumers out there but the 55" 4K Sony TV I saw was stunningly sharper than any HDTV I've every seen. But here is the rub -- I didn't know it was 4K when I saw it. It captured my attention in the store, but I thought it was just a top of the line set. A salesperson came up to me and told me it was 4K.

Is 4K delivery necessary? Probably not. HD wasn't necessary either. Heck how many people are still happily watching DVDs on their HD set! If color TV was never invented we'd likely still be satisfied with B&W. And if B&W TV never came to fruition we'd all be listening to radio shows like in the 1920s-40s. Such is the nature of technology and human adaptation.

Honestly, most TV is cr@p regardless of resolution. But I sure would love to see sports in 4K.

Oh boy. Someone had too many snob pills this A.M. Do you remember how massive tube TVs use to be, and then rear projections were even bigger. 70" flat screens are miniature by comparison. People have room for them and will by them if price is right and there is sports content in 4K.

BTW I live just outside DC and homes near DC are a lot smaller than ones in the burbs. Land is expensive close in so homes get smaller.

Unless you were standing less than 6 feet away there is no way you were noticing the pixels.

The average viewing distance is 7-10 feet.

At average viewing distances there is no perceptible difference between HD and 4k on a TV under 70 inches.

themcfly

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
What the article missed...this is a 4K display....you plug it in to your Mac Pro, and it displays everything at 4K resolution...it works.

It is not a Retina display, nor does it do Retina scaling, NOR was it even meant to.

It displays a 4K resolution picture, and workspace.

The display at this resolution may have tiny text and UI elements, but it was not meant to operate at any other resolution (as of now). You must learn to deal with this. I think that is what they are complaining about here...people have gotten extremely spoiled by Retina scaling, and this display is flat out HIRES, so the UI elements are small.

It does everything its advertised to do.

I think the article missed this.

This is the only sensible comment i read in the whole topic.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
The PSU is important if you want to run things off of the computer rather than having external plug-ins with extension cords running all over the place, like you will need to have with the new Mac Pro. Before, everything was nicely concealed within and powered by the box. Now, no.

Thunderbolt is bleeding slow when compared to PCIe speeds. It's not that the new Mac Pro doesn't have PCIe, it's just that it is not accessible for the majority of peripherals. Everything needs to be run through Thunderbolt now, and it's about only PCIe 2 4x speed. No, thanks.

MacVidCards may be moaning because he had a business selling PC cards for the Mac, but that does not negate the fact that he still made some very valid points about the limitation of this new machine.

What do you want to have hanging off it? The max is 4x 5watt usb or 6x10 watt Thunderbolt. It's fully capable of that.

A PCIe port shares a machines bandwidth so while you may be ables to say copy some files at faster speed it will slow the machine down. Thunderbolt is on a separate controller.

Also while it's only 4x PCie over thunderbolt. In actual real world cases Cards such as the Red rocket only operate at 5% less speed in a Thunderbolt Chassis, Such is the overhead... and the fact your computer is doing other things at the same time. PCIe3 is a different matter of course, but even that at the moment that doesn't seem make much difference compared to PCIe2.

Of course it's not for everyone. But for small studios it's fantastic. Very powerful, possibility of having shared TB2 storage and PCie cards, no need to buy one for each machine. But what PCIe cards do you want to use?

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
This is just not true.

Right now in front of me are TB display (thick, circa 2011) and iMac 27" (thin, circa 2012) - panels are completely different. iMac has image ghosting and slightly warmer backlight color temp, TB display is just perfect.

Even more, even in same-generation iMacs and MacBooks Apple uses panels from different vendors.

So, despite the fact that you know that Apple will use panels from different suppliers for the same product, you conclude from your one sample of TB display and one sample of iMac that the iMac panels are clearly inferior? If there is panel variation within one product line, concluding anything from a very small sample is just rather meaningless. In particular since we have reports in this thread that say their iMac displays are fine. The only thing you can conclude is that there are variations but attributing that to the product lines based on your personal sample of at most a few devices while ignoring reports that tell the opposite is just cherry-picking the results that support your bias.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Unless you were standing less than 6 feet away there is no way you were noticing the pixels.

The average viewing distance is 7-10 feet.

At average viewing distances there is no perceptible difference between HD and 4k on a TV under 70 inches.

Of course I was standing less than 6 ft away in a big box store. But even still the clarity was stunning w/ 4K material vs 1080p sets. It was the most lifelike TV picture I've ever seen.

Mechanic

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2011
Another much ado about nothing filler article. I read the anandtech article and when taken out of context it appears apples fault. The fault really lies in the fact like Anand La Shimpi said the 4k standard is in its infancy and not completed. Therefore things are not done. Anyone heared of firmware updates? This is what there for to bring devices in computers up to the finished standard once there released.
Articles like this are complete rubbish. And are click bait at best.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The problem with these comparisons is that people always compare to cheaper PC offerings or default product offerings from other brands. What you suggest was not the case if you compared within a similar price range. Apple was not always the best value, and I'm familiar with all of their displays back to the late CRTs. In case you meant the imacs, those started with IPS during the G4 era, went to larger TNs with the G5s, then slowly migrated back to IPS starting with the 24" displays. These were still cheaper LG IPS panels, back when LG wasn't the only thing available, and they had other flaws. The ones I used (used not owned) always ended up with edge discoloration, and many of the pre-aluminum types had short lifespans.

Further in the article actually mentions some points which aren't standardized.

Not really sure if you understood what I wrote. The poster I was responding to said Apple didn't know anything about making displays. I tried to refute him. I made no comparison of Mac to PC so not sure why you threw that in. Also I stated Cinema Display monitors, not iMacs. Again, not sure why you added that to the mix. Apple in the early LCD days had a reputation of making great displays and does have some experience in the area, even if they are not the leader anymore. That was my point.

----------

I am responding to the hyperbole that is "Where is Apple monitor that is better?"...

Apple introduced those IPS panels made by Hitachi or Sharp or Anyone. They just assumed that people will pay the premium and people did. While others like Dell did not take that leap. How does that make Apple a leader of displays?

Because that is what leaders do... they don't do what is easy, but what pushes XYZ forward. In Apple's case technology. Of course they used 3rd party panels. I didn't suggest otherwise. Apple also uses 3rd party CPU and GPUs in its Macs. Point is Apple could have sold a ton more TN panels at a lower price point just like every other monitor company, but knew they were junk and pushed IPS panels into the consumer/prosumer market. Now they are far more commonplace than when Cinema Displays first came on the market in the late 90s.

But I did not say Apple IS a leader of displays, I said they were a leader at one time. Big difference.

Also your quoted hyperbole isn't mine. I think it's a bit disingenuous to use quotes as if I wrote it or anything to that position.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Also I stated Cinema Display monitors, not iMacs. Again, not sure why you added that to the mix. Apple in the early LCD days had a reputation of making great displays and does have some experience in the area, even if they are not the leader anymore. That was my point.

I did get the disambiguation there, and I had a fair amount of experience with those and others. They were popular, but nothing in that price range used a TN panel, which was why I commented on it. If you recall from that era, Apple's aluminum cinema displays started above $1000. The 20" started at $1300. They were probably one of the better ones in that price range, but not by much. Predominantly I had wanted to point out that few displays above $1000 used TN panels. I won't say none, because I'm not sure of that, especially in larger sizes. It's not really practical to compare Apple to the low end ones that cost half as much.

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2013
Heart of Mordor
So, despite the fact that you know that Apple will use panels from different suppliers for the same product, you conclude from your one sample of TB display and one sample of iMac that the iMac panels are clearly inferior? If there is panel variation within one product line, concluding anything from a very small sample is just rather meaningless. In particular since we have reports in this thread that say their iMac displays are fine. The only thing you can conclude is that there are variations but attributing that to the product lines based on your personal sample of at most a few devices while ignoring reports that tell the opposite is just cherry-picking the results that support your bias.

I'm just trying to say, that one expects consistent quality from products, marketed as being "premium" (with quite "premium" price too). Not the "if you're lucky to get Samsung panel in there" kind of quality.

If I'm buying Porsche, I don't expect windshield to crack the next day, because they've "had issues with the supplier, and we don't consider this an issue, you can still drive, right? so piss off" - there's quality control for that.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Mouse and Keyboards are never included with Workstations. They have always ben an add on. Even with Dell etc.

Hm, you don't say. The original NeXT Computer and the NeXTstation both came with a keyboard and mouse. In fact, they even came with a display.

Whether someone prefers to use another keyboard or mouse with the MP is irrelevant. A Mac should be always be usable out of the box, aside from the display. I don't think cost was the issue here; this is just some guy in marketing thinking the packaging should be tiny.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
I disagree ....

Even if this were completely accurate, it really has nothing to do with this Mac Pro 4K monitor compatibility problem -- which is all about OS X not allowing users to select the native resolution of the display (combined possibly with that happening on purpose, because of limitations of bandwidth over the current cable connections they attach with?).

But yes, I've connected several different displays to the retina MBPro 15" and they've all looked just fine. Sometimes you need to take the time to do an advanced calibration on the display -- but that's nothing new.

OS X has horrid monitor support. Almost anything I connect via HDMI to my rMBP looks like **** until I search for a workaround. Fix it Apple.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
so I was considering getting a Seiki 39" 4K TV from Amazon to connect to my rMBP.

should I just wait until Apple gives proper support in OS X??

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Yes, other companies _make_ the monitors, but Apple has defined very high sets of specifications that panels have needed to meet before they can be called an "Apple monitor". Apple is defining the standard, ensuring that the product being delivered to their customer is on par with the Mac the monitor gets connected to. That process is contrary to many monitors you can buy that are of varying qualities. That's what makes Apple products better... the attention to detail. It's not just a matter of slapping their logo on a third-party panel and charging a premium.

Don't you dare tell me about "Apple Monitor".

I am typing this on an 27" iMac that has flickering screen and yellow tint and uneven lighting. Had to buy Apple Care just for this. Apple store says if they see screen flicker then they will replace it. So it happens randomly and can't reproduce the issue when needed. Waiting for a day when I can record it using my iPhone as proof and take it to them!

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
How about just waiting?

You're obviously not a pro user. Would you suggest I delay my business launch plans and lay people off while I wait for Tim Cook to pull his thumb out of his butt and do something? Yeah right. Go back to your iPad.

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2012
North East US
I'd have to see what it looks like but I personally suspect that I would like the native resolution and the screen real estate benefit much better.

I don't like for instance how retina displays look at their intended resolution. There is less space available than on the old hi res laptops. Most things in OS X look too big in my opinion. So 4K at native unscaled resolution may just be the thing for me.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
I'm just trying to say, that one expects consistent quality from products, marketed as being "premium" (with quite "premium" price too). Not the "if you're lucky to get Samsung panel in there" kind of quality.

If I'm buying Porsche, I don't expect windshield to crack the next day, because they've "had issues with the supplier, and we don't consider this an issue, you can still drive, right? so piss off" - there's quality control for that.

And if you buy that one Porsche with the windshield cracking, do you go around and say that BMW's have better windshields?

If a product shows faults at delivery or doing the warranty period, you take that up with the vendor and don't go around blasting the vendor as 'only' selling sub-par products. I don't know why people keep making conclusions from a sample of one or two. Probably because it is in the human nature to find patterns and the prevailing sentiment of instant gratification means whenever there is slightest possibility of feeling good for having found a pattern, we find one. The other explanation is naturally the gratification we get by pissing on somebody's lawn, if they have pissed on ours.

----------

Whether someone prefers to use another keyboard or mouse with the MP is irrelevant. A Mac should be always be usable out of the box, aside from the display. I don't think cost was the issue here; this is just some guy in marketing thinking the packaging should be tiny.

Why aside from the display but not aside of the keyboard? Either a Mac is usable out of the box or it isn't. Do you think it is likelier that people already have a monitor but not a keyboard and mouse?

I have enough keyboards in my cupboard already that I don't need another one. I also don't need another mouse. It's wasteful to include something that a lot of people don't need.

But I guess, if you had your say, the Mac mini would come in package twice the size it currently comes in.

----------

Even if this were completely accurate, it really has nothing to do with this Mac Pro 4K monitor compatibility problem -- which is all about OS X not allowing users to select the native resolution of the display (combined possibly with that happening on purpose, because of limitations of bandwidth over the current cable connections they attach with?).
I think you mixed something up here. The complaints here are that Apple only allows you to select the native resolution but not one scaled using the double-res trick to make things look better.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
This is exactly what I needed to know about the display support in the new Mac Pro. Good info. I'm hoping a new Apple display will come soon and support high PPI modes, or that Apple supports these in current 4K displays. I don't want tiny GUI objects and text, nor do I want them blurry.

George Zip

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2011
Apple & Displays

I'm so stunningly pissed off at Apple regarding their attitude toward the Mac side of their coin, and how they are letting it all but languish, I hardly know how to put it into words.

The Thunderbolt Display -- their only branded display offering -- is well over 800 days old. There's zero excuse for that. Their should have been a refresh when the product line started going USB3 well over a year ago, and then again in late 2012 (IIRC) when the redesigned iMacs took their first bow.

Feeling bitter, but can't say I'm too surprised; the money is in iDevices and that's where the focus of the company is. Good on them for that, I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.