Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BadRambo

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2006
waremaster said:
Out of curiosity did you check the drivers before you did the bootcamp drivers or after?

Sorry I misread your previous msg. if you have msn or icq PM me with your info and once we figure out what went wrong we will post your solution to the forum so others will benefit

Private msg sent....;)

uelef

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Germany, Wuerzburg
waremaster said:
When you integrate the drivers you will select multiple foldes at the bottom of nlite then it will bring up a list. Select all then choose the intel 631 raid driver in the text mode driver make sure that HDC Intel 631 Raid is listed and if you scroll over you will see it should have already have selected the 32bit driver for you.
I cannot finde a HDC Intel 631 Raid driver inside the SATA driver zip file... Can you give me again the hyperlink to download the driver I need for the Mac Pro?

BadRambo

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2006
uelef said:
I cannot finde a HDC Intel 631 Raid driver inside the SATA driver zip file... Can you give me again the hyperlink to download the driver I need for the Mac Pro?
====
Hello Uelef ----
I am expecting to hear from Waremaster shortly. We are working on this exact issue so I can get a proper install disk built. Once we clean it all up, he is going to write up a procedure here, with details, to clean up the confusion.

Stand by --- Regards, Bob ;)

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
uelef said:

Lets start by putting the text from Terrabit's site up here I hope it does not offend Terrabit as that is not my intent I just feel that since his site is experiencing some trouble this might help aleviate some problems. I did edit some of it. I took out the WPA stuff as that could be construed as hacking/piracy

XP, MAC PRO SATA

Simple Fix!

As you may or may not be aware, there exists a small compatibility problem between the Mac Pro and the recommended installation procedure for XP service pack 2 using Apple’s BETA boot camp application. The problem degrades a single modern SATA hard drive performance from 60-80 Gigabyte/s throughput down to a steady 3792 Kilobytes/s. If you are currently running XP on your Mac Pro, you will most likely have this problem.

The problem is that currently Intel’s XP SATA drivers (for the Intel 631xESB chipset found on the Mac Pro) MUST be included as part of the Windows XP installation disk and installed as part of a new installation, and not as an after-thought. (Don’t ask me why, I don’t know!)

Luckily for us Mac users, the windows community has been busy building automated tools that allow us to install device drivers and windows fix-packs directly onto installation disks to perform clean installations. The ability to install fix-packs means that your Windows XP Service-Pack 1 installation disc can be updated and used to build a Windows XP Service-Pack 2 disc as required by the latest Intel chipsets.

Requirements
* Any Windows XP Home or Professional (full installation disk)
* Download Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package (if required)
* Download nLite for free (and make a small donation)
* Download .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package
* Download Intel’s 5000X chipset drivers Currently the 4th file in the Chipset List
* Download Intel’s 631xESB chipset SATA drivers (version 15/05/2006 7.4.0.1005)
* Download ImgBurn bootable CD burning tool
* Download SiSoftware Sandra

Building your custom XP boot disk
The first step is to download all the files into an installation directory (lets say C:\MacXP) on a working Windows box. This might be your currently booting XP on the Mac Pro, or any other modern windows box.

Second step is to make a unique directory for each of the Intel device drivers (e.g, C:\MacXP\IntelDriverA), copy the drivers into the respective folders and expand the contents. I recommend

Third step is to install the .NET framework required by nLite.

Fourth step is to install ImgBurn if you don’t already have a CD burning tool installed. (I selected ImgBurn because it was free, and it worked for me, even on the crippled SATA drive on my MacPro).

We will use the nLite tool to build the custom bootable cdrom. By following the steps above you have all the modules ready to pass into nLite when it requests it. The nLite installation process is very well described here and I recommend you follow its instructions.

When you come up to Integrating the device drivers you MUST install the Intel Drivers you have downloaded. Select the “Insert” tab, followed by the “Multiple Driver Folder”. If you followed my suggested directory naming structure, select the “C:\MacXP” folder, and click okay. A window will display all the Intel Drivers. Select All, then Okay. A second window will appear listing driver names in the “Text mode integration options”. Select the ESB2 SATA RAID Controller (Server ESB2) entry, and press okay. The window will reappear, click cancel. Confirm that the “Intel, TXT-iaStore_ESB2, HDC, 5.6.2.1002, 01/16/2006” item is present in the list. Click next, and continue following the nLite instructions.

Fifth Step is burn the .ISO image file generated by nLITE.

Sixth Step is to perform a re-install of Windows XP using your custom boot disk.

Seventh Step is to run SiSoftware Sandra software to confirm that you have reasonable hard drive performance that reflects the drives installed in your system.

uelef

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Germany, Wuerzburg
BTW: I got one more question... Could it make a difference if you use a NTFS instead of a FAT32 partition for XP? Just a suggestion...

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
uelef said:
BTW: I got one more question... Could it make a difference if you use a NTFS instead of a FAT32 partition for XP? Just a suggestion...

NTFS is the preffered method for NT/XP but if you want to be able to read and write to that partition with OSX by all means use Fat32.

uelef

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Germany, Wuerzburg
"* Download Intel’s 5000X chipset drivers Currently the 4th file in the Chipset List"

-> can you explain that exactly? I don't know which list is meant. Maybe you have the direct hyperlink?

Ulf

uelef

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Germany, Wuerzburg
waremaster said:
Here you go
But in post #30 (where all was explained) there was an other version of the SATA file mentioned: "Download Intel’s 631xESB chipset SATA drivers (version 15/05/2006 7.4.0.1005)"
And in post #20 I could read: "Select all then choose the intel 631 raid driver in the text mode driver make sure that HDC Intel 631 Raid is listed."
But when I tried to select the driver in nLite no HDC Intel 631 Raid is listed...

That's why I am confused...

Ulf

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
uelef said:
But in post #30 (where all was explained) there was an other version of the SATA file mentioned: "Download Intel’s 631xESB chipset SATA drivers (version 15/05/2006 7.4.0.1005)"
And in post #20 I could read: "Select all then choose the intel 631 raid driver in the text mode driver make sure that HDC Intel 631 Raid is listed."
But when I tried to select the driver in nLite no HDC Intel 631 Raid is listed...

That's why I am confused...

Ulf

Version #'s I cant accty for but mine are imsm_windows_x86-x64_v.5.6.2.1002.zip

uelef

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Germany, Wuerzburg
Ok, guys, I'm following the instructions above - in one hour I can tell you if I've finally succeeded or not. But reading the instructions I learned that my ealier tries had a wrong way to integrate the drivers with nLite. And I hope that it now works...
I'll tell you...

Ulf

uelef

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Germany, Wuerzburg
nLite works and works... takes quite a long time on my iMac CoreDuo to build the new ISO image... I guess it will take another hour until I'm done with installing XP on my Mac Pro (I hope with higher hard drive speed!)...

peas

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
ok this is the noob of noob questions but i've been following this thread along with the massive 'sata is slow' thread thats around here.

when you folks are trying to install xp and have it working up to speed,
are you putting xp and osx on one hd? are both os's on seperate hard drives?
are you trying to use that boot camp or parallels thing?

sorry to sound like such a freakin doof but i've got a 30"acd in the delivery truck arriving tomorrow and i'm heading to get a macpro this weekend so i want to make sure ive got my bases covered

thanks guys/girls

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
peas said:
ok this is the noob of noob questions but i've been following this thread along with the massive 'sata is slow' thread thats around here.

when you folks are trying to install xp and have it working up to speed,
are you putting xp and osx on one hd? are both os's on seperate hard drives?
are you trying to use that boot camp or parallels thing?

sorry to sound like such a freakin doof but i've got a 30"acd in the delivery truck arriving tomorrow and i'm heading to get a macpro this weekend so i want to make sure ive got my bases covered

thanks guys/girls

I have done my install on a dedicated drive. The installs this is reffering to is for Bootcamp. You can install on a partition with the same results. I say again this is for Bootcamp.

BadRambo

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2006
Well, gentlemen, after some collaboration with waremaster, and using the perviously outlined procedure to install the drivers via a slipstreamed CD, we both have functional systems with hard drives clocking in at about 60MB data rates. It does work and nicely.

We will get a clean procedure written up for those that want to go through the process. It has certainly been an education, for me, being new to slipstreaming and enjoying the nLite software package (recommend to all who want to do this) as a permanent resident on your XP partition.

Now my next challenge is to do the same thing with the more "ancient" Windows 2000 Pro and its SP4 plus drivers.

Hang in there all --- more to come. Regards, Bob ;) :D ;)

peas

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
waremaster said:
I have done my install on a dedicated drive. The installs this is reffering to is for Bootcamp. You can install on a partition with the same results. I say again this is for Bootcamp.

roger that.
i'll be doing as you did and put both osx and winxp on dedicated drives so i wont have to download and install and slipstream half the google dictionary just to get it functioning

over and out charlie

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
peas said:
roger that.
i'll be doing as you did and put both osx and winxp on dedicated drives so i wont have to download and install and slipstream half the google dictionary just to get it functioning

over and out charlie

What do you mean?

You will want to do the slipstream... You want 40 - 60 mbs vs 3.7

cajuncheese

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
Washington, DC
Web site closed due to bandwidth restrictions

Terrabit said:
Hi.,

The problem appears to be that you need to have the appropriate Intel SATA drivers installed on the CD Installation disc used to install XP. Don't ask me why, i don't know. But i know that i have full speed SATA on my system when following the steps described here:

http://web.mac.com/terrabit/iWeb/macpro/

Please let me know if it works for you.
Terrabit!

p.s. This also fixes the problem of users only having Windows XP Service Pack 1 installation discs.

The link is now defunct due to bandwidth restrictions.

cajuncheese

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
Washington, DC
FAT32 is generally faster than NTFS

waremaster said:
NTFS is the preffered method for NT/XP but if you want to be able to read and write to that partition with OSX by all means use Fat32.

I use FAT32 because I want to run games, and as long as it's not fragmented it's a notch faster than NTFS

Terrabit

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2006
Updated Website Address

Terrabit said:
Hi.,

The problem appears to be that you need to have the appropriate Intel SATA drivers installed on the CD Installation disc used to install XP. Don't ask me why, i don't know. But i know that i have full speed SATA on my system when following the steps described here:

http://web.mac.com/terrabit/iWeb/macpro/

Please let me know if it works for you.
Terrabit!

p.s. This also fixes the problem of users only having Windows XP Service Pack 1 installation discs.

Due to bandwidth restrictions on the Dot Mac account, I have purchased a new webserver. The new address for the website is:

http://www.macprojournal.com/

or:

http://71.18.168.229 (if the above DNS entries haven't updated yet).

:) Terrabit!

cajuncheese

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
Washington, DC
I have two questions about Terrabit's instructions

(a) Do I download the .exe or the .zip version of the drivers?
(b) Do I still install the Apple Bootcamp drivers after completing the Win XP installation with the slipstreamed drivers?

I hate to ask noobish questions. On the other hand, I also hate installing Windows and don't want to have to re-do it more than once!

As an afterthought:

(c) Could the Apple Bootcamp drivers also be slipstreamed into the Win XP installation making the whole thing a one-CD show?

BadRambo

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2006
cajuncheese said:
I have two questions about Terrabit's instructions

(a) Do I download the .exe or the .zip version of the drivers?
(b) Do I still install the Apple Bootcamp drivers after completing the Win XP installation with the slipstreamed drivers?

I hate to ask noobish questions. On the other hand, I also hate installing Windows and don't want to have to re-do it more than once!

As an afterthought:

(c) Could the Apple Bootcamp drivers also be slipstreamed into the Win XP installation making the whole thing a one-CD show?
====
Hiya Cajun ---
No problem with the questions. We have all gone through the same learning curve. I used the zip versions because it was easy to unzip these into the directories they need to be put in. Works great.
In terms of the BootCamp Apple drivers, yes, you do install them after you install the slipstreamed version of XP-SP2. They do not interfere with the new drivers installed by XP.

Hope that helps -- Bob -- :D

getastro

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2006
Thank you

I just finished installing XP the second time and it works now. Thank you....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.