Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrobat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2006
I just want to extend a big thank you to terrabit and a extra special thank you to waremaster and badrambo. (insert hand claping and tear in right eye) for making a guide and reference picts I can only figure things out with pictures. I havent tried it yet but now with the pictures it looks like a no brainer. Now all thats left is someone to make a install cd and make a torrent so people can just dl it. Hmmmmm I think thats legal because you just use your own license key.

PS. Terrabit
I noticed in your instructions you mention dl some other stuff but didnt mention installing them on the cd like the RVM XP hot fix also I didnt see the RVM hot fix on the link or I am not sure which one to use

peas

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
ive got a working iso that is rocking the kashbah right now.
if anyone doesnt have it done but does have an ftp of sort,
pm me and i'll send it over

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
peas said:
ive got a working iso that is rocking the kashbah right now.
if anyone doesnt have it done but does have an ftp of sort,
pm me and i'll send it over

What you are offering is very nice but keep in mind you need to have an OEM disk if you have an OEM key and same applys for Retail Retail requires a Retail Key just wanted to remind you guys of that.

macrobat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2006
waremaster said:
What you are offering is very nice but keep in mind you need to have an OEM disk if you have an OEM key and same applys for Retail Retail requires a Retail Key just wanted to remind you guys of that.

But cant you use your own key with it? :confused:

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
macrobat said:
But cant you use your own key with it? :confused:

I made that comment based on peas offer to upload his created image. But if his image was a retail image and all you have is a oem key the key will be invalid and if his image is a oem image and you have a retail key again it won't work.

macrobat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2006
waremaster said:
I made that comment based on peas offer to upload his created image. But if his image was a retail image and all you have is a oem key the key will be invalid and if his image is a oem image and you have a retail key again it won't work.
Crap your right:p I didnt think of that. Well I made mine already and it worked like a charm again thank you

jgoodm

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2006
I have tried making this disk 5 times now and every one of them causes my system to stall at the "install devices" part of installation (34 mins). I have to pull the plug and start over every time. Anyone have any idea what the problem is? (I was able to successfully make a slipstreamed disk for my Dell in my downtime so I probably am doing most of it right).

Thanks,

J.

P.S. Did that FTP site ever go up? ;-)

cajuncheese

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
Washington, DC
A Thought for Apple

I re-installed Windows according to Terrabit's instructions and with help from BadRambo and it worked perfectly! Read rates at 60 MB/s and Battlefield 2 runs smoother than the game designers ever intended!

It seems to me like a logical improvement to Apple's Bootcamp would be to have it actually produce a slipstreamed version of Windows XP (user supplies a valid Win XP CD). In essence, Bootcamp would be like an automated version of nLite which runs on OS X.

This circumvents the MacPro issue and allows for Bootcamp to include all of the Apple drivers on the new Win XP CD.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
cajuncheese said:
It seems to me like a logical improvement to Apple's Bootcamp would be to have it actually produce a slipstreamed version of Windows XP (user supplies a valid Win XP CD). In essence, Bootcamp would be like an automated version of nLite which runs on OS X.

There might be some legal problems with apple modifying a windows xp install disk. It's fine for a user to do it themselves though. I'm not an expert and i know dell does it but... i dunno.

Also it's quicker to make a small cd than a full one. Other than that all the boot camp drivers + windows might be bigger than the cd itself. A Problem i had before when i tried to make a cd with drivers on it. Lastly since they update the drivers so much you have to go burn a whole new cd. Theoretically apple could re-write to the bootcamp cd, hiding the first session and adding a new one.

It is a good idea though. (apologies if i made it seem like it wasn't)

jgoodm

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2006
Follow up:

I was able to create other working slipstreamed CDs for both my Dell and for my MacPro (custom settings with no SATA drivers) and it worked like a charm. There is something about the way that I am installing the SATA drivers that is the problem.

The only thing I can think of is that I am importing the 32 and 64 bit drivers. But the directions just say select all, so that is what I have done everytime. Am I doing something wrong there?

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
jgoodm said:
Follow up:

I was able to create other working slipstreamed CDs for both my Dell and for my MacPro (custom settings with no SATA drivers) and it worked like a charm. There is something about the way that I am installing the SATA drivers that is the problem.

The only thing I can think of is that I am importing the 32 and 64 bit drivers. But the directions just say select all, so that is what I have done everytime. Am I doing something wrong there?

Try going here and follow the guide step for step

jgoodm

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2006
waremaster said:
I am guessing you missed the cancel on the 64bit driver part. First image page 8 of my guide.

Ugh, I followed the original directions perfectly. I just didn't see the button for the guide on the bottom which I now embarassingly see.

However, I did excatly as it appears in your guide and I still had the 34 minute issue.

J.

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
jgoodm said:
Ugh, I followed the original directions perfectly. I just didn't see the button for the guide on the bottom which I now embarassingly see.

However, I did excatly as it appears in your guide and I still had the 34 minute issue.

J.

What happens if you just wait a bit? I didnt have any issues using exactly as the screenshots showed. I am just curious what the 34minute issue is. What is your systems config?

jgoodm

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2006
waremaster said:
What happens if you just wait a bit? I didnt have any issues using exactly as the screenshots showed. I am just curious what the 34minute issue is. What is your systems config?

45 minutes is the longest I left it going. It just stops doing anything. It doesn't freeze, but it stops moving forward, no sound, no spinning drives, nothing. The Windows hints keep changing but no further progress occurs.

My config is a standard 2.66 with 2GB Ram and 2 Super Drives. No airport.

Very frustrated. :-(

J.

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
jgoodm said:
45 minutes is the longest I left it going. It just stops doing anything. It doesn't freeze, but it stops moving forward, no sound, no spinning drives, nothing. The Windows hints keep changing but no further progress occurs.

J.

Well that’s an interesting problem. Are you using the same XP cd every time to create your custom image? By any chance can you get a different XP cd to generate the image? Is your XP disk a retail or oem? Also do you have any external peripherals attached too the system? I have the same system as you and it installed without a hitch.

The only other time I have seen this sort of thing happen was of course on a PC and that PC had a firewire drive attached at the time and that was holding things up.

jgoodm

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2006
No drives attached.

Cinema Display, iSight.

Tried a generic oem CD and my old Dell XpSp2 CD. Both had the same problem.

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
jgoodm said:
No drives attached.

Cinema Display, iSight.

Tried a generic oem CD and my old Dell XpSp2 CD. Both had the same problem.

Please try it without the isight.

Hook up the isight after it's installed.

cajuncheese

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
Washington, DC
jgoodm said:

J.

Windows often freezes during driver installation. If it happens, just restart from your Windows hard drive and installation will continue where it left off. Usually it will skip over the problematic driver.

fiermanm

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
SATA fix worked perfectly but...

now i have no sound device in windows. i had it before i did the slipstreamed XP (which by the way worked perfectly) and yes i have upgraded the bootcamp drivers to 1.1.1
anyone have any ideas?
mike

mus0r

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2005
Can someone FTP a slipstreamed retail disc or perhaps make a torrent? I have a keycode and everything from an original (pre-SP1) XP disc, but every attempt to make a slipstreamed disc has thus far failed.

demenas

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
Los Angeles, CA, USA
mus0r said:
Can someone FTP a slipstreamed retail disc or perhaps make a torrent? I have a keycode and everything from an original (pre-SP1) XP disc, but every attempt to make a slipstreamed disc has thus far failed.

The 9/19 Apple Mac Pro Firmware update fixes the SATA performance problem in Windows XP.

Slipstreamed install discs are no longer required.

Steve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.