Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I mean, maybe eventually before I die I might, but it has never once been a theme/franchise/genre to resonate with me.

Fair enough.

Jurassic Park, much the same.

Despite owning the DVD for the first entry, I've yet to watch the film in its entirety.

As for Harry Potter, I never cared much for the books and I especially don’t care for the author.

You and I appear to be in a minority because even with invites to watch them in the cinema and the regular airings on TV, I've not watched any of them and have no inclination to do so. I'm also not enamoured with Rowling either (and certainly not for reactionary reasons) but I won't elaborate here to avoid this becoming a political discussion.

Completely agree on endless remakes, reboots and sequels. Better stick to originals.

I'm not completely opposed to the concept - there are remakes which surpass the originals, likewise with sequels but more often than not they're merely commissioned because Hollywood executives are unable to consider green-lighting new material in preference to the myopic rationale that recycling past glories is a cash generator because it was a hit before and thus will be a hit again.

I even kept the Star Wars trilogy box set on LaserDisc, because it has no added SGI animation.

LaserDiscs! :D

I have a modest collection: it's shocking just how many titles have never received a digital release in their director's cut version and remain exclusively on LaserDisc - and the same applies with countless extras, especially on the Criterion Collection LDs. The Pioneer release of Basic Instinct contains an audio commentary track with Paul Verhoeven that has never been reissued for DVD/Blu-ray.

As I've mentioned in previous exchanges, I own two LD players: a European model which was the best machine available in the PAL market and plays both NTSC and PAL discs and switches disc sides without the need for a manual swap. I also have an industrial NTSC machine which I imported from the U.S. (I use it with a step down transformer for 110v to 220/240v) and although it lacks frills such as TOSLink, the picture quality is vastly superior to that of my Euro consumer player but I find that they compliment each other quite nicely for different purposes.

Of course, I have the Star Wars films among my collection. I've got the NTSC CBS/Fox widescreen set with digital audio and was lucky enough to meet the cinematographer of The Empire Strikes Back some years back and got him to sign and dedicate the gatefold cover for me. I also own the 1997 PAL widescreen THX box set with Vader on the front and the Japanese only release of the theatrical version of The Phantom Menace which includes the OBI strip. I bought it from a LaserDisc trader in the States and we ended up having a lengthy email conversation about our mutual appreciation of cinema.

The unaltered trilogy is the only version I will look at. I went to the cinema in early 1997 to see the digitally embellished trainwreck and that was far more than enough for me. (Curiously, I sort of like how Lucas digitally enhanced THX 1138, but that’s another discussion).

I only bothered with TESB for the 1997 re-release and when I later discovered what Lucas done to ANH with the Han shoots last travesty, I was glad to have spared myself that nonsense. The pace of the escape from Cloud City is ruined by the insertion of ROTJ outtake footage (just because it seems some fans couldn't use their imagination with Vader returning to the Star Destroyer) during what was originally a perfectly directed sequence by Irvin Kershner.

There used to be a 4K raw digital transfer of the original 35mm print of A New Hope (i.e., the version sent to cinema houses, not the original archive stock) floating about on the nethernet a few years back. I have that in my archives. It’s not retouched, and the colours are also left as-is, but fortunately, the print doesn’t show traces of emulsion hue-shift. It does, however, reveal the occasional scratches and artefacts on that source print.

Yes, I acquired this too and attempted to watch it on my 2011 MBP during the Thunderbolt eGPU testing but even with support from a GTX 770, the 2.3 Ghz i5 CPU just couldn't cope with the strain. Poor thing, I expected too much. 😳

Reactions: B S Magnet

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
Last edited:
Reactions: B S Magnet

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
EDIT. I'll take that back, there is a d/l. Both films. By those who also steal washing machines

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
@B S Magnet +1 for mentioning Big Blue Marble - along with Catch Kandy, shows I'd believed to have been a figment of my imagination until the internet turned up.
-10 for dissing Planet Of The Apes - a magnificent film - if only I hadn't seen it so young when I couldn't comprehend the ending.

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
I still can recall the feeling when I saw the ending for the first time.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Completely agree on endless remakes, reboots and sequels. Better stick to originals.
I even kept the Star Wars trilogy box set on LaserDisc, because it has no added SGI animation.
Me too.....;)
I have the original (and best) trilogy on VHS, LaserDisc and iTunes.

Reactions: TheShortTimer
@B S Magnet +1 for mentioning Big Blue Marble - along with Catch Kandy, shows I'd believed to have been a figment of my imagination until the internet turned up.
-10 for dissing Planet Of The Apes - a magnificent film - if only I hadn't seen it so young when I couldn't comprehend the ending.

Apologies. It wasn’t a dissing. It’s just that it was off-putting for me. I’m sure it’s a fantastic story. 🤷‍♀️

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I spotted this image whilst watching the documentary Stephen King on Screen showing him working on a PowerBook of some sort. Maybe others can identify the model? I wonder which masterpiece he was in the process of creating... :)

sequence-showing-stephen-king-typing-on-his-laptop-at-his-home-in-bangor-maine.jpg

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Nice spotting @TheShortTimer

Based on the little curves on rear of the lid, and the position of the ethernet port and the serial printer(?) port I would say it is the PowerBook 3400c. Either that or the PowerBook G3 "Kanga" which shared the same form factor I believe.

• Love

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK

Thanks. :)

Based on the little curves on rear of the lid, and the position of the ethernet port and the serial printer(?) port I would say it is the PowerBook 3400c. Either that or the PowerBook G3 "Kanga" which shared the same form factor I believe.

Very nice identification! :D @AphoticD

You are correct: the 3400c is cosmetically identical to the Kanga (hardly surprising given that it's also called the 3500) as this video featuring a videographer swapping parts from one to the other demonstrates.

Here's some relevant close up shots of the 3400c which confirm your suspicions:

fullsizeoutput_a9f.jpeg

Note the combined Ethernet and modem port on the rear that matches with that of King's machine. It would seem that he definitely had either the 3400c or the Kanga.

fullsizeoutput_aa2.jpeg

An interesting read about the 3400 series and the Kanga for those who are curious.

Thanks again. :)

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
G4, iMac G3 and Macintosh 128, 512 or Plus in German movie "Bullyparade" from 2017. Maybe some Mac portables, but it's difficult to tell, because they're in the out of focus area.

bullyparade-1.png

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
If I'm not mistaken, you're British.

Yes, I am indeed a Brit. :)

How do you know them? Were they aired in UK?

No, they were not but since I was old enough to sit in front of the TV, I've frequently watched non-English language TV and film content from other countries, especially Europe (I particularly enjoy German films) and periodically, friends from the EU will mention stuff to me.

Thanks, I'll have to see if there are versions available with English subtitles. :)

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
A return to Casualty for further Mac sightings. This time it appears to be LC II's. These stills are from the penultimate episode plus the finale of series 8 during which the LC II's are not only shown within the A&E department but one of them is also used as a pivotal prop in the storyline of a lead character's dilemma over their future at the hospital.

uHLN563.png

YJOgEqF.png

You might notice that the Apple logo has been removed from the front bezel. The model name appears to have been obscured as well.

R4BIPvU.png

TjlGWCG.png

As an extra, we also have some software spotting. The packaging for FileMaker Pro can be seen on the desk - with Claris Resolve nearby. A pity that the latter didn't stay on the market for long due to Microsoft overshadowing it with Excel.

Reactions: B S Magnet and ojfd

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Another long running British TV drama featuring a Mac - but with an unfortunate outcome. Taken from an episode of EastEnders that was originally broadcast during mid September 2004. What appears to be a Lombard suffers liquid damage early on in the episode, courtesy of a purported accident.

fzl63lx.png

DeSIWrj.png

P1cEonV.png

2UKZruY.png

Accidents do happen, after all! Oh dear, the poor PowerBook. Worse is in store: it's completely destroyed later on in a fit of pique by the milk wielding antagonist. Definitely not an accident this time around...

NSioER9.png
G3JHVf8.png

"Maybe he's got Applecare?"

sfBL6nc.png

#RIP PowerBook G3. :(

VJAMHQZ.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.