Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Sharp eye! 👀

The 2x3 grid for F4 was also a feature of all 2011 MBPs — both early and late editions. I remember the change when I replaced my mid-2009 with the early 2011. So this, indeed, ends up being the question of “is this unibody MBP from 2009–10 or 2011–12”? How the F4 key appears and the presence of a Thunderbolt icon (in lieu of a Mini DisplayPort icon) are, I think, the only two superficial tells between these two model cohorts.

Interesting, as my early 2011 has the F4 key dashboard icon.

Reactions: B S Magnet
As does mine. Maybe it was changed after Lion‘s and Launchpad‘s release.

That is interesting.

My old, early 2011 MBP was purchased August 2011, and Apple shipped it with 10.7.0 on the hard drive. That was the first time I saw the amended key, unaware initially why and how the grid varied from the dashboard icon. (Frankly, I never gave the dashboard icon much thought, as I never used Dashboard or, later, Launchpad. I still don’t use that key unless it’s assigned in an application.) Since then, that keyboard was replaced twice — once by Apple (the whole top case, that is) and once by me (just the keyboard). Both times, it featured the later keys.

What intrigues me is when I bought the second replacement from, I think, ebay, I don’t remember it mentioning it was the later type — only that it was compatible with the 2008–2012 unibody 13-inch models. I kind of wonder whether there are many aftermarket keyboards with the older Dashboard key for F4, given how models with the Launchpad key were sold over the span of almost six years, compared with just under three for the Dashboard models.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
Take the Chipmunk reports with a pinch of salt. I checked two of my late 2011 MBPs and this is what the site reported back:
Production year : 2011
Production week : 43 (October)
Model introduced: 2011
Production year : 2011
Production week : 53 (January)
Model introduced: 2011
See how the week 53 that came after week 43 is listed as January of the same year? ;)

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
All the late 2011 models had the launchpad key. The early ones I’ve had seem about half and half. Lion was released in July, and the late 2011 MacBooks weren’t introduced until October. My theory has always been that been that the “early 2011” models sold between July and October of 2011 likely had the launchpad key.

See how the week 53 that came after week 43 is listed as January of the same year? ;)

Week 53 is possible.

To wit: my A1138 DLSD PowerBook G4, the “mule” I used for testing all of the Clouded Leopard/SL-PPC stuff, had its board replaced with a “week 53” unit, built sometime between 25–31 December of 2005.

Indeed, a “week 53” was possible for 2005 because “week 01” of that year began on a Saturday (Jan 1), and thus “week 01” product, if any was made, would be confined to 1 January 2005. Carry that forward, and the final week of 2005 would count as a seven-day “week 53”. Even if starting calendar weeks on a Monday, this would still mean 2005 had a “two-day week” of “week 01” (1–2 Jan) and a “six-day week” of “week 53” (26-31 Dec).

That length is also why chances are higher that one could receive/find a product serialized on “week 53” of that year versus, say, the following year, 2006, when “week 01” began on Sunday, meaning “week 53“ of that year was only one day long (Sunday, 31 December 2006) — which is to say: those holding a “week 53” serial for 2006 would be a rare group.

For 2011, the exact same calendar layout as 2005 was why there are probably, statistically speaking a fairly high number of “week 53” serials for boards, Macs, etc.

Now, that all said, y’all need to stop looking at me like I’m a nerd. No, I mean it… stop that.!

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
My early 2011 15" MBP (Manufactured 21 March 2011) has the Dashboard key as well :)

IMG_3299 2.jpg

Welp, here’s an unexpected cameo of a Mac seen in a problematic setting, as portrayed in an independent Oz film from the early ’90s. It’s a parable on how hate, in a comprehensive way, rots and destroys everything from within. Below is a scene from 1992’s Romper Stomper, starring Russell Crowe.

View attachment 2343311

I saw this once, in cinema, back in 1992. I re-watched it this evening for the first time since, to map what I remembered to a 2024 context and 32 years of leavening borne by getting older and experiencing more stuff.

It’s no less grim than what I remembered of it. Maybe even more so.

The above scene features a well-to-do creep who owns a spendy, gated loft somewhere in near-suburban Melbourne, Victoria. He also owns some kind of Mac setup, with what looks like the bog-standard M0297 12-inch colour CRT sold by Apple from 1990, as well as the M0331 mouse (sold from 1986) and M0487 Apple Keyboard II (also from 1990). As the M0487 was sold with either the Macintosh Classic or the LC, the above prop was probably an LC (but also, possibly, a IIsi). In the background are Mac-related product boxes, but they‘re not clear enough to make out which model is running the After Dark fish tank screen saver (which, in 1991, was pretty swanky to have running in colour).

The whole film demands the viewer to steel themselves.

Back to actual Mac Spotting, sorta:

Screen Shot 2024-02-17 at 23.10.07.png

An incidental, slow-pan shot from the 1991 film, Grand Canyon, in which what appears to be another M0297 12-inch colour CRT display and a 1986-era M0116 Apple ADB keyboard, but no Mac appears in scene. It’s possible there was no Mac on set and just the two peripherals (note how there’s not even a mouse!) were put there to connote the… comfortable station of this household.

Last edited:
So this might be a bit much, but I think I’ve found an exception to the rule on Mac Spotting — that is, when Macs and other Apple gear show up in a film or TV episode, but probably shouldn’t be showcased here:

When the series episode or film comes from Apple’s own streaming productions.

I’ve just watched a couple of episodes of an “Apple Original Series” which wasn’t For All Mankind (something on which I posted a while back in their portrayal of extremely advanced Newton messengers which, although creatively executed, never existed in reality).

What I found on this unnamed Apple series was gratuitous, predictable insertions of contemporary Apple products a multiple of times within each episode: Macs, iPads, slow shots of iPadOS and macOS, iPhones, and Apple Watches. At this point, I won’t be shocked to see a Vision Pro pop up later in the series, just because. :p

So yah: I‘m thinking the Mac Spotting thread ought to nix “Apple Original Series” productions from inclusion here. It may be the only stipulating rule for Mac Spotting. Of course, maybe y’all can persuade me otherwise. :)

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
So this might be a bit much, but I think I’ve found an exception to the rule on Mac Spotting — that is, when Macs and other Apple gear show up in a film or TV episode, but probably shouldn’t be showcased here:

When the series episode or film comes from Apple’s own streaming productions.

Do we really have such a rule? :)

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
We don’t. I’m thinking we ought to have that as the one prohibitory rule, as Apple products appearing gratuitously on such productions amount to embedded advertising and sort of obviates the point of, well, Mac spotting. :)

That's understandable but then it means that a large swathe of our existing posts - particularly mine - would need to be removed because they'd fall into the category of embedded advertising because they were promotional considerations.

We could share the Apple media stuff with a caveat as to the context...

That's understandable but then it means that a large swathe of our existing posts - particularly mine - would need to be removed because they'd fall into the category of embedded advertising because they were promotional considerations.

We could share the Apple media stuff with a caveat as to the context...

Nah. If Apple paid to, say, have their Macs show up in a production by 20th Century Fox or Universal or Paramount or whatever, that’s one thing. But stacking the game by having multiple Apple products embedded within an Apple Original Series streaming on Apple TV+ is just beneath the low, low bar of qualifying as incidental appearances or enough to fulfil a third-party contract of embedded advertising.

Like, Macs showing up in episodes of Fringe because Apple paid for promotional consideration is fine, as Warner Brothers produced it, and FOX aired it.

Then, have a look at the pilot of the new series, Constellation, featuring Noomi Rapace, and find yourself running out of fingers on your hands for the number and variety of Apple products to appear gratuitously throughout. It was tedious enough that I’m struggling with deciding whether I’ll set aside time to continue watching subsequent episodes.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
This may be a basic question.....🤪
But what is your method of capturing your screen shots...?
They always look crisp.

• Love

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
This may be a basic question.....🤪

No question is ever too basic. :D

But what is your method of capturing your screen shots...?
They always look crisp.

Awww, thanks so much! :)

I nearly always use VLC. It's a godsend taking snapshots from video files. As you can see, from the menu you just select Snapshot - or hold down CMD-Option-S...

5BRsEJI.png

...and a PNG file is immediately created and stored in your preferred folder. ;)

lSgVhba.png

Behold, a crisp snapshot!

aDVAJWc.png

Unbelievably easy!

It's high time that I sent the the Videolan people a donation considering that I've used VLC across various platforms for almost 20 years now. :oops:

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
After reading your posts, I noticed on an episode of 'How I met your Mother' Ted with a 12" PowerBook....(sorry no pic, it was live TV). But I noticed it even had the pulsing sleep light.....😁

For reference it was the 'but erm' (Robin drinking game) episode.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
After reading your posts, I noticed on an episode of 'How I met your Mother' Ted with a 12" PowerBook....(sorry no pic, it was live TV). But I noticed it even had the pulsing sleep light.....😁

Thanks for the extra info, I was about to ask for the episode title. :D

Was this on E4/E4 Extra? I'll keep an eye out for a repeat - or see if I can track it down elsewhere... :)

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK

Well spotted!

From the episode, S5E13 "Jenkins" of How I Met Your Mother:

YXyyKWO.png

The sleep light is visible in this frame:

cOEOyRt.png

An enjoyable 21 minutes and 35 seconds of viewing. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.