Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jumme_Cph

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2018
Hi all, first post here.

I've read a few pages of the thread, I'd like to upgrade my MBA 2017. The procedure and the adapter to use is clear to me, but I'd like a suggestion on the SSD.
I was looking at a Crucial P2, although I read conflicting opinions. The 970 evo is no longer available, only the PLUS.

Do you have any suggestions? Other options? The goal was 1TB. Thank you all, Mario
You DONT wanna get the Samsung EVO, as described here!

Monterey is not compatible and everyone is experiencing very slow boot times as soon as TRIM kicks in, including myself.

djsick2000

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2015
Just to let you know that I put a Samsung Evo990 pro in a Macbook Air 2017 and it runs great. I know I won't get the full speed of that SSD but... for your info. it is compatible. I tested two Macbook Air 2017, one with a Evo 970 and the other one with the 990Pro on Geekbench (same exact config with time machine, same OS, etc)... The macbook with the 990pro was significantly faster on every aspects.

Jumme_Cph

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2018
Just to let you know that I put a Samsung Evo990 pro in a Macbook Air 2017 and it runs great. I know I won't get the full speed of that SSD but... for your info. it is compatible. I tested two Macbook Air 2017, one with a Evo 970 and the other one with the 990Pro on Geekbench (same exact config with time machine, same OS, etc)... The macbook with the 990pro was significantly faster on every aspects.
Please confirm TRIM is activated as described here.

When confirmed, please let the SSD run normally for some weeks (I suggest 4), then return to this forum and confirm the boot time has not extended dramatically. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.