Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
Have you performed a benchmark to see if you hit the cards specification?

If you look at post #33 you will see the benchmark I ran comparing my Samsung 950PRO drive to the Apple SSD drive I had been using with my 2015 MBA. The actual specs for the Samsung 950PRO drive are 2,500 MB/s read and 1,500 MB/s write. Compared to the factory specs and what I am actually seeing on my MBA the speeds are slower but compared to the Apple SSD the Samsung M.2 NVMe drive performs more than twice, maybe close to 3x faster than the Apple drive. I'm okay with the speed improvements I'm actually seeing.

Reactions: Audit13

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State

uehithneu

Suspended
May 19, 2018
Macdctr, thank you for this reply and thank you for so much other helpful comments about NVMe! I 'took the plunge' last week and so far so good. This thread motivated me to attempt the upgrade and it helped me do planning for each stage of the upgrade.

In case this might be helpful here's my account:

I have Y2013 11-inch MacBook Air (model number A1465). Upgraded from Sandisk (128GB) product to Samsung SM951 (512GB) product...

Paid c. $180 for SM951, which had been listed on eBay as 'lightly used'. After installing my SM951 drive I saw in smartctl output c. 250 GB read, c. 250 GB written, 148 error-information log entries. I found a link that says SM951 endurance rated at 150TBW and so the 250+250 numbers do indeed some consistent with 'lightly used'. The high number of error-information log entries is alarming for me though, for what it's worth, I did find a site where someone says error-info data are just informational (i.e., high number is not indicative of failure)... During this past week (week one of my own use of my refurb product) I've tracked EI entries and I've tracked power-on hours. During my use of my SM951 refurb, power-on hours have nearly doubled (moving from 66 to 128) and there's zero new EI entries (i.e., 148 entries -- all accrued before I bought my drive off eBay!)

My experience of adapters has been annoying lol. I purchased on eBay one unit of the small green adapter that Mactdctr recommends (not the adapter that Macdctr bought for self). eBay says transit time will be one month though and so a few days later I purchased a different adapter on Amazon... Whereas the eBay adapter is small + green the Amazon adapter is long + black. [I think my Amazon buy is the 'C' model]. Helpful site: <www.pc-adapter.net> N.B.: The small+green adapter from eBay comes with P5+T5 screwdrivers but the long+black adapter from Amazon does not come with screwdrivers.

Installation was easy but not quite smooth. I'm bad with my hands and so, going in, I felt intimidated... My one occasion of difficulty occurred towards the end. First I placed in the laptop the long+black adapter and then I placed in the adapter the SM951 storage unit... Had to push firmly when attaching each piece... The drive, however, would not stay flat once attached to the adapter. Kept popping up, kinda like a plank. Plus: Height of SM951-drive-atop-long+black-adapter is too much for the small T5 screws that I had on hand. [One of those screws being the one that came with my laptop and the other screw being the one that came with the long+black adapter.] Finally I decided to cut off a portion of the long+black adapter (making it closer in length to the short+green adapter) and sure enough this works well! I worried perhaps the long part contains circuitry but indeed it seems to be just cardboard! [N.B. I don't have kapton tape. I don't know much about kapton tape. Seems relevant to this paragraph though.]

On the software side things have been smooth except for one thing: I did indeed have trouble after putting the laptop to sleep. Sometimes I saw black screen. Sometimes I saw reboot screen. Not immediately after the start of a sleep phase but rather after several hours' sleeping... Based on what other folks have said 'standby' is the important thing here. The following command works well for me: `sudo pmset -a standby 0 hibernatemode [0|3|25] autopoweroff 0`. For testing variations of the prior command, the following command, which serves to active sleep immediately, seems handy: `pmset sleepnow`. These links have been helpful for me: <https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/260578/difference-between-sleep-hibernate-etc> <https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ssd-to-m-2-nvme.2034976/page-54#post-26101551> <https://www.lifewire.com/change-mac-sleep-settings-2260804>

Hope this helps!

Questions:

(a) Macdctr, your posts in this thread contain links to more than one eBay page... One link points to the small green adapter that you bought. One other link points to a different small green adapter, which is the product you recommend in response to someone's questions... The description for **your recommended** adapter states the product is compatible with Samsung 950 Pro. However the description for **your own** adapter does not assert compatibility with Samsung 950 Pro -- and yet that's the setup you've gotten to work. The page for your adapter makes no claims of 950Pro compatibility even though it is indeed compatible with 950Pro. Do you any opinions/interpretations?

(b) Ya think Apple would refuse to replace a MBA battery if the MBA contains NVMe storage?

Last edited:

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have an Intel 600p in an early 2015 air but I did get a firmware error when I updated to the latest version of high Sierra. By putting back the original drive, my air was able to have it's firmware updated.

Reactions: uehithneu

Pugly

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2016
I can add another successful anecdote to the list. I upgraded an Air 11" 2015 to a 512 WD Black drive. I used the long black sintech adapter.

It's been so far so good with a time machine restore. I'm a bit worried about the heat. The keyboard seems hot to me, but that may just be in my head. I get 300mb/s writes and 1400mb/s reads.

I'll have to see how battery life is. I never seem to get amazing battery life out of this anyways, I think I run it heavier than battery tests...

Jackie Butcher

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2018
617a34ad734c754dbbe716b9682ac980.jpg

I put this in my MacBook Air, formatted it in the APFS format then installed High Sierra and did all the updates. So far I haven’t experienced any issues.
[doublepost=1528039831][/doublepost]I have a MacBook Air 2017 MA1466. I bought the Samsung EVO 960 and the Sintech adapter. I did the clean install from a USB Boot disk. Everything works fine except when the laptop goes into deep sleep or I do a restart. I end up with the blinking file with the question mark in it. The background screen is grey. The SSD is seen by my computer but it still will not restart or awaken from deep sleep. I have reset the PRAM SMC, selected it as the startup drive, numerous things. Does anyone have any ideas?

Jackie Butcher

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2018
Did you install the latest release of High Sierra before installing the Samsung 960?
I had the current High Sierra before I swapped drives. I installed the new drive, booted from a bootable usb with the High Sierra on it (not sure which version, i think it was older), reformatted, then did clean install. I have been updated to the current High Sierra.

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
Jackie, there is an indepth discussion over at the MacBook Pro side on use of the Samsung960 PRO. It is in this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ssd-to-m-2-nvme.2034976/page-52#post-26067118

I don't remember which page it was in but they did talk about the Sintech adapter and the 960PRO having issues coming out of deep sleep so I decided to go with the 950PRO and so far have not had any issues. I know saying this won't help you but may I suggest you peal thru that discossion (link provided) perhaps you might find an answer that may help...
[doublepost=1528149657][/doublepost]
Macdctr, thank you for this reply and thank you for so much other helpful comments about NVMe! I 'took the plunge' last week and so far so good. This thread motivated me to attempt the upgrade and it helped me do planning for each stage of the upgrade.

I'm glad to hear some of my comments helped!

Questions:

(a) Macdctr, your posts in this thread contain links to more than one eBay page... One link points to the small green adapter that you bought. One other link points to a different small green adapter, which is the product you recommend in response to someone's questions... The description for **your recommended** adapter states the product is compatible with Samsung 950 Pro. However the description for **your own** adapter does not assert compatibility with Samsung 950 Pro -- and yet that's the setup you've gotten to work. The page for your adapter makes no claims of 950Pro compatibility even though it is indeed compatible with 950Pro. Do you any opinions/interpretations?

I have a few adapters as a result of going down the path of using an M.2 NVMe SSD over Apple's much slower SSD. The one I would recommend going with is the Sintech adapter which is what I now have inside my MBA. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused... not intentional.

(b) Ya think Apple would refuse to replace a MBA battery if the MBA contains NVMe storage?

I wouldn't even waste my time going to Apple to have them replace your battery when you can easily do this yourself. 5 screws hold the battery in place and then you unplug the battery and take it out. It is simple as that. On a scale of 1 to 10 on a difficulty scale with 10 being the hardest I would rate this an easy 1. If you have never done this before then may I suggest you go to the ifixit web site and look at their repair guides for your computer and review the replacing battery guide. It is very straight forward and easy to follow. It also lists the recommended tools needed to do this job. If you don't have the tools then you can easily buy them from ifixit as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: TokMok3

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I had the current High Sierra before I swapped drives. I installed the new drive, booted from a bootable usb with the High Sierra on it (not sure which version, i think it was older), reformatted, then did clean install. I have been updated to the current High Sierra.
Is the air running a .176 (from 10.13.4) or .177 (from 10.13.5) bootrom?

dudaslaszlo

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2018
Hungary
Hi everyone! I have some questions about NVMe SSDs.... I found a new Samsung 970 EVO drive and it looks so amazing, the price is quite good and does it compatible with Macbook Air 13 2015 Early version? Did anyone try?
I have read the PM981 version is not compatible with Macbooks...
Thanks ;)

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sierra and High Sierra support third-party nvme drives.

If the drives can only be formatted in 512 byte clusters, HS must be used. Drives that can be formatted in 4k clusters can use Sierra or High Sierra.

Reactions: uehithneu

dudaslaszlo

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2018
Hungary
Sierra and High Sierra support third-party nvme drives.

If the drives can only be formatted in 512 byte clusters, HS must be used. Drives that can be formatted in 4k clusters can use Sierra or High Sierra.

Okay. Thank you so much :D I hope it will works fine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.