Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PimpIntInxs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
What kind of cases/sleeves are people using? Are there any new ones out with the newmacbook air/new line of laptops? Thanks.

redcrow240

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
dont laugh but i got a sleeve from incase (white) at marshals for $12.99. I dont have a macbook air yet, but I had credit at the store and there were only two left. I suggest checking out stores like that (tjmaxx or Ross as well) first, or maybe amazon.com. Amazon sells a couple of sleeves that look like manila folders that im very interested in.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
I use an Incipio Orion slipcase (Asphalt color) for moving around my house/hotel room. For outdoors, I put the whole slipcased MBA in an STM Small Alley messenger bag. Works great!

jrabbit

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
St. Louis, MO
MBA Case

WaterField Designs SleeveCase (http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleevecases/sleevecases.htm); size 13-2. I got mine with the flap, shoulder strap, and piggyback. The shoulder strap and piggyback are removable, and then the whole case can be slipped into a normal backpack (or other larger case) when desired.

Most of the time, I just carry the SleeveCase on it's own, though.

It's held up really well, and is small enough most people don't even know there's a computer inside.

Maks

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
I use an Incase neoprene sleeve. I travel all the time and the MBA hasn't suffered any damage even while going through airport security.

PimpIntInxs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Thanks for all your input everyone, i got a neoprene incase sleeve but I dont feel that it fits perfectly? like there is about an inch of laptop i see with the flap over it? is that right?

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Thanks for all your input everyone, i got a neoprene incase sleeve but I dont feel that it fits perfectly? like there is about an inch of laptop i see with the flap over it? is that right?

uhh..is the flap closed? Mine fits fine.

iaymnu

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
I also have the SF waterfield, but now I am using this. The picture doesn't do it justice. It is actually very protective.

PimpIntInxs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Ohh nice... you like the way it looks... its very intersting... i'm all about having an inteseting case since I dont move around with my air too much (I know pseudo defeats its purpose - I move around my apartment?) I want it to be in something interesting... I saw this on a really old forum.. little too over the top for me but still intersting none the less:

Attachments

• pimage.jpg
    pimage.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 4,034

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
WaterField Designs SleeveCase (http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleevecases/sleevecases.htm); size 13-2. I got mine with the flap, shoulder strap, and piggyback. The shoulder strap and piggyback are removable, and then the whole case can be slipped into a normal backpack (or other larger case) when desired.

Most of the time, I just carry the SleeveCase on it's own, though.

It's held up really well, and is small enough most people don't even know there's a computer inside.

I have been toying with the idea of getting this case with idea of using it in place of my back pack (currently shoving my Air into an old 15" neoprene sleeve). I was wondering how the sleeve case + piggyback protected things in the event of rain. I pinged "gary" in an email and he said the flap covered unit and should protect it mostly, but it was designed to be water resistant at best. Then I got thinking about the cargo + sleeve combo and mixing and matching depending on weather, etc.

jrabbit

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
St. Louis, MO
WaterField Sleeve

I have been toying with the idea of getting this case with idea of using it in place of my back pack (currently shoving my Air into an old 15" neoprene sleeve). I was wondering how the sleeve case + piggyback protected things in the event of rain. I pinged "gary" in an email and he said the flap covered unit and should protect it mostly, but it was designed to be water resistant at best. Then I got thinking about the cargo + sleeve combo and mixing and matching depending on weather, etc.

Gary is right; the flap covers the top well, and the case is water resistant. I've never had any concern about carrying the bag in the rain, but I don't think I'd trust it to a long time in the rain without at least an umbrella or a cargo case.

Note that the piggyback is fairly small (as is the sleeve), so if you need to carry much beyond your MBA and the necessary accessories, something larger may be in order. I have room in my piggyback for the power adapter, video cables, headphones, pen/paper, sunglasses & keys. The pocket on the outside of the sleeve will hold a slim folder or two.

uniforms

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
South Orange NJ
I like the incase design. However, I recommend getting a screen protector to use with the air. When you travel the mouse button can rub and make marks at the top of the screen bezel. The marks don't come out. When my screen was replaced I found this. It's very good. I'm gonna order one for my new MBP 13. Here is the link. Good luck with the air, it's an awsome machine! I just wish it had a bigger hard drive.

http://www.shaggymac.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_4&products_id=119

Thorbjorn

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
I have the Incase neoprene sleeve, and it works great as protection for the Air inside another bag. I've used it a lot that way. But recently I've been craving a stripped-down backpack for the Air, so I can tromp into the woods with it. What I found--and love--is Higher Ground's Shuttle (http://www.highergroundgear.com/shuttle.html). It's wonderfully minimalist, but can be less so if you order Higher Ground's Laptrap. I ordered the backpack attachment with it. They claim the bag is waterproof, but I haven't tested it in rain yet. Inside, the laptop rests on a couple of pads, so the bag can be unzipped and used as is as a lap desk. The top is tethered to the bottom so that the case only opens partway, and adds a bit of protection to the Air's rumored-to-be-wobbly top. (My hinges aren't loose yet.) I love the overall quality of the Shuttle, and it provides plenty of room for what I need. (I use a different backpack if I want to cart along books and water bottle and other gear.) I'm very impressed with this minimalist case/bag/backpack. Only caveats here are 1) that the backpack attachment is a little broad for this small woman's back, and 2) that the attachment, although attached at the top by terrific strong clips, is attached at the bottom by simple snaps which I suspect will become weaker with use. I'd love it if Higher Ground were to correct that--I'd be the first in line to buy a sturdier backpack attachment. I may meanwhile make my own sturdier rigging with carabiners.

Anyway, give it a look-see. I think it's fabulous gear.

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
I like the incase design. However, I recommend getting a screen protector to use with the air. When you travel the mouse button can rub and make marks at the top of the screen bezel. The marks don't come out. When my screen was replaced I found this. It's very good. I'm gonna order one for my new MBP 13. Here is the link. Good luck with the air, it's an awsome machine! I just wish it had a bigger hard drive.

http://www.shaggymac.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_4&products_id=119

I am currently using the temporary screen protector that came with the unit. It has held up pretty well, but I could definitely see the need for a more substantial and permanent solutions.

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Gary is right; the flap covers the top well, and the case is water resistant. I've never had any concern about carrying the bag in the rain, but I don't think I'd trust it to a long time in the rain without at least an umbrella or a cargo case.

Note that the piggyback is fairly small (as is the sleeve), so if you need to carry much beyond your MBA and the necessary accessories, something larger may be in order. I have room in my piggyback for the power adapter, video cables, headphones, pen/paper, sunglasses & keys. The pocket on the outside of the sleeve will hold a slim folder or two.

Thanks for the confirmation. Not that I didn't believe him, it's just nice to hear it from someone who actually has one in the wild. The rain here in the bay area is generally fairly predictable, so it shouldn't be too hard to determine when one can and cannot get away with traveling light. I think I would use a second bag of some sort .. I hate dealing with umbrellas esp since rain worthy of umbrellas usually come hand in hand with high enough wind gusts which makes all but the sturdiest umbrellas useless.

Joe23

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
I use the "Thinvelope" - it's quite pricey but it looks fantastic and protects the MBA exceptionally well due to the snug fit.

PimpIntInxs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Good stuff guys Definitely a few here I didnt see when i tried googling for a case. appreciate it.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
i use a super nice white canvas one with nice microfiber lining that looks/closes just like a manilla envelope, but i think it might only be available in japan

a.d.m.

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2009
Incase Sleeve

Just checking... but did you remove the foam pad that was in the inside of the case?

RSW

macrumors member
May 13, 2009
dont laugh but i got a sleeve from incase (white) at marshals for $12.99. I dont have a macbook air yet, but I had credit at the store and there were only two left. I suggest checking out stores like that (tjmaxx or Ross as well) first, or maybe amazon.com. Amazon sells a couple of sleeves that look like manila folders that im very interested in.

I got an excellent backpack from Eddie Bauer, and only paid around $15 for it. It was the only case that would not let my Air "rattle" around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.