Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JCT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2004
Tucson, AZ
I predict the MBAs date of ideath being....July of this year...don't expect this thing to survive through the summer. Sure they made this convienent little laptop, but we're still in the age of DVDs, people aren't ready to buy something that only deals with digital information. How is having to upload all your dvds and **** onto the small*** HD convenient?

And why would anyone contemplating digitizing their DVDs buy a MBA for their sole computer? Hell, it never even occurred to me to keep my iTunes library on my laptop -- it lives on the Quad G5 and my iPod, both have tons of space compared to the MBPs HDD.

And really, "people aren't ready to buy something that only deals with digital information" ? Doubtful.

JT

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
It takes companies like Apple to pioneer the way of change in technology. This could be the way of the future.
Apple has been pretty innovative and successful in this light.

This is exactly what I was thinking about the MBA, it's not about where the laptop is today, it's the first view of what the laptop may be in 5-10 years. This is forward looking,"think different" stuff. Not everyone gets it. :p
I would agree.

And why would anyone contemplating digitizing their DVDs buy a MBA for their sole computer? Hell, it never even occurred to me to keep my iTunes library on my laptop -- it lives on the Quad G5 and my iPod, both have tons of space compared to the MBPs HDD.
I have a PB15. I carry a small sized external HD with the movies that I want to watch on business trips. The external also serves as my backup HD. Sweet.

As for the MBA month and year date of death. Indefinite.

Mantasis

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2007

And really, "people aren't ready to buy something that only deals with digital information" ? Doubtful.

JT

What I meant was videos and programs... Making the shift could be a hassle. It seems out of place, on the other side we have this whole hi def revolution occuring, and here we have a top of the line laptop that is drastically underpowered, expected to rent movies at a sad resolution(can you even get through a whole movie??).

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
It takes companies like Apple to pioneer the way of change in technology. This could be the way of the future. It could be risky and not pay off, and it could be something in 3 years that we look back on and wonder why?

This is exactly what I was thinking about the MBA, it's not about where the laptop is today, it's the first view of what the laptop may be in 5-10 years. This is forward looking,"think different" stuff. Not everyone gets it. :p
Well you two have just been pawned by Apple marketing ROFL. What has Apple pioneered with the MBA exactly? No Disc Drive? No ethernet port? No firewire port? ONE USB port? Dog slow processor? Users unable to have multiple batteries? OMFG! That is sooooooo forward thinking! Now if every manufacturer would leave out all these bits the world can FINALLY move forward with this revolutionary technology! :rolleyes:

My prediction is that the MBA will get 'revised' with backwards technology that is actually useful - Fall 2008

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
Well you two have just been pawned by Apple marketing ROFL. What has Apple pioneered with the MBA exactly? No Disc Drive? No ethernet port? No firewire port? ONE USB port? Dog slow processor? Users unable to have multiple batteries? OMFG! That is sooooooo forward thinking! Now if every manufacturer would leave out all these bits the world can FINALLY move forward with this revolutionary technology! :rolleyes:

Bloody clueless.

Please visit this post 5 years from now.

elcid

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2007
They have 18 billion in cash on hand. They are a successful company no matter how they market. Its amazing how many of you seem to think that Apple sits in a room and comes up with an idea with no input.

I agree with whoever said that they will make this a great platform for everything they are doing with the new itunes.

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
For what? In 5 years there may be computer implants in my head... The MBA leaves things out that most folks need NOW. Ever heard of a DVD? I will not buy my movies or music via iTunes TYVM.

So just because it doesn't work for you, then it is doomed to fail?:rolleyes:

JCT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2004
Tucson, AZ
Apple has been pretty innovative and successful in this light.

I would agree.

I have a PB15. I carry a small sized external HD with the movies that I want to watch on business trips. The external also serves as my backup HD. Sweet.

As for the MBA month and year date of death. Indefinite.

I do the same actually -- a very light little WD Passport. Partitioned with a bootable clone and a full data backup. Saved my ass once. I carry it with my MBP and will do it with the MBA. Hmmm, I think there is enough room for some movies on that "Data" partition...;)

JT

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata

My prediction is that the MBA will get 'revised' with backwards technology that is actually useful - Fall 2008

Yeah, moving backwards, that's what vision is all about.

We are moving into the digital age. An age of wireless connectivity. This new day is just now dawning, but it IS coming. You cannot stop it. All you can do is huddle in your cave as the new world marches by, clutching your physical media to your chest, and murmur "my precious, my precious". (Apologies to Tolkien)

In 5 years there may be computer implants in my head...

You'd never accept that, no room for a DVD player! :eek: (Sorry, couldn't resist)

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
nikhsub1, I see your point as to why you don't think the MBA will be successful. But I also think that what you consider impossible to deal with, or inconvenient do to the lack of certain ports, dvd drive, ect., others won't mind a bit.

Firewire port? Generally used for uploading digital video content, some external hard drives... maybe an older gen iPod? Personally, if I were on a video shoot, I'd bring my MBP, not the MBA. And I can load my music into the MBA easily as well?

As far as the DVD issue? I would have no problem ripping a DVD or 2, or downloading one from iTunes for commuter viewing, travel. I wouldn't expect it to be the absolute highest quality HD, nor would I need to put several on the smallish hard drive at the same time? It's easy enough to either throw a portable hard drive in my bag, or just swap them out on the hard drive as I go.

I think it's perfect for road warriors who aren't needing to do anything that requires a lot of ports/resources. For a business commuter, using it for email and Office would be perfect. With the added perk of having your music and a movie or 2 in such a compact space with a larger screen than comes on a portable DVD player or Touch.

The person who needs all the ports and power can opt for a MB or MBP depending on their needs, instead of a MBA. You'd be suprised how many don't really need much power from a laptop, but just the portability, basic functions, and a keyboard they can comfortably type on, (LCD that is easily viewed). I don't think anyone who is buying the MBA is using it as their sole computer.

Clearly, it's not meant for everyone. But for those who have a use for it? It's an awesome alternative to the MB or MBP. I think I just talked myself into buying one! ;)

BTW: The beast is freakin' awesome!!!

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Yeah, moving backwards, that's what vision is all about.

Sarcasm aside, it's very hard to argue making computers less accessible is what vision is all about. Apple's decision to finally get on board with 90% of other computer manufacturers and make RAM replacement something that didn't require professional training to accomplish wasn't a step backwards, it was a step forwards. User-replaceable batteries, hard drives, and memory are progressive measures. Taking those options away from computer users isn't vision, it's just bad business. A laptop isn't an iPod.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004

How is a Dual Core 1.6 or 1.8 Ghz dog slow? My 1 Ghz single core G4 is still pretty fast. It isn't blazing fast anymore, but still plenty fast enough for me. Now I do plan to replace it soon with a 17" MBP as my main computer, but if I needed a secondary computer, the MBA would be my first choice. It is thin and portable. But, it can not serve as a main computer nor was it designed to be a sole main computer. The faster you realize that the faster you might see the market for this kind of computer. That is why ultra portables exist.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I do the same actually -- a very light little WD Passport. Partitioned with a bootable clone and a full data backup. Saved my ass once.
I have no idea why you would do this. It seems so much easier to carry all your install disks, CD backups of your presentation, and of course a brand new HD and tools so you can replace the HD while on the go! ;) :p :D

Hmmm, I think there is enough room for some movies on that "Data" partition...;)
You think! :)

Sarcasm aside, it's very hard to argue making computers less accessible is what vision is all about.
This is where you completely miss the point.

Apple is not doing what you say. They still offer the MB and MBP lines which have all kinds of features.

The MBA is an addition and is focused on a different market sector.

Apple is not eliminating (or limiting as you might say) their offerings, but rather adding to them.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
Taking those options away from computer users isn't vision, it's just bad business. A laptop isn't an iPod.

I would argue that the future of the computer is more likely to be as a consumer level appliance rather than something user-customizable. I realize that would be considered a bad thing by most of the people who post here.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Apple is not eliminating (or limiting as you might say) their offerings, but rather adding to them.

If you look at the MBA as part of the MB and MBP, sure. If you look at the MBA as an item by itself, however, it inarguably features regressive design parts, along with its steps forward. You can look at the Mac Mini as part of the iMac and Mac Pro and cheer Apple for adding to their desktop line, but if you look at the Mini on its own, it's hard to make the argument that it's a step forward, and not backward, for Apple. Now triple the price of the Mini so it's halfway between the Mac Pro and the iMac, and it gets even harder...

diabolic said:
I would argue that the future of the computer is more likely to be as a consumer level appliance rather than something user-customizable. I realize that would be considered a bad thing by most of the people who post here.

I agree with you; the goal seems to tend toward "locked" devices more than toward tweakable ones. Unfortunately, that also leads to disposable devices over long-lasting ones (which, I imagine, is the ultimate goal). Just look at how many people simply sell or throw away iPods and buy new ones instead of bothering to replace the batteries themselves. It's good for the manufacturer, but bad for the consumer, and bad for the Earth (if anyone cares about that).

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Who wants to take bets that the OP will buy a Air after a few revisions?

Dude, the idiot already placed the order. :D He just created this thread to see who else likes it so he'll feel good about himself for placing the order.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
For what? In 5 years there may be computer implants in my head... The MBA leaves things out that most folks need NOW. Ever heard of a DVD? I will not buy my movies or music via iTunes TYVM.

I think the point is that the MBA carries Apple's vision for the future like the iMac did. The iMac did away with the floppy and legacy ports and used pretty colors. And everyone else followed, causing a technology shift. Technology is currently shifting as we speak. USB and SDHC-based (thereby relying on USB card readers) are being introduced and, as they develop, have the potential to succeed current FireWire-based DV camcorders. Content is moving online as people (legally or illegally) download or stream movies and TV studios either sell shows or have the shows online for streaming. Burning music CDs? Flash drives, iPods, and the internet makes the need to burn songs to CDs increasingly a thing of the past. Newer airplanes have power ports. Virgin America has full 110v ports and most modern business classes do as well (most modern Economy classes either don't have any power ports or use EmPower). Wi-Fi, while not quite widespread enough, is increasingly being widespread. AT&T announced that their broadband subscribers would get free access to AT&T hotspots. If other ISPs announce similar deals and hotspots increasingly blanket the world, the lack of an ethernet port becomes less of a problem.

Whether or not the MBA is a step forwards or a step backwards really depends on your perception.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California

Sadly to say I'm too young (I think, LOL) and also too new to the Mac community to have ever seen this on TV, but I just watched the 60 second version of the commercial on YouTube and got chills it was so awesome and brilliant. Fricken fantastic ad. I kinda wish that we had super classy ads like this now instead of the pseudo-funny tongue-in-cheek ads that we currently have. Would it be stupid if Apple did a couple updated ads with this theme? Would that be lame? I think it'd be pretty cool...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.