Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Netbooks are not computers. They run on the puny 1.6 GHZ Atom processor that powers many smartphones. The MBA has an Intel dual core 2 computer processor. All the netbook can do is websurf, check email and do light wordprocessing, all things I do with my iPhone. The MBA is capable of doing any computing tasks its larger siblings do. Not to mention the build quality, screen and keyboards on netbooks is crappy - they feel like toys. The MBA looks, acts and feels like a business computer. This is one instance where you truly do get what you pay for.

Um...what smartphone runs a 1.6ghz atom processor???? They may be underspecced, but there's no smartphone using the same processor.

Don't get netbooks and smartbooks mixed up. There's another class of small computer-ish devices called smartbooks that intel is pushing that use ARM processors similar to smartphone ones. The Atom netbooks are a different beast.

cwfrederick

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2008
MBA will be around for a long time

apple will add 15" and 17" MBAs, soon i think. when apple eventually takes the optical drives out of the MBPs and makes them thinner they will transition the MBAs to carbon fiber, to differentiate them further (while cutting their weight in half) and keep them high-end. they are geniuses. i wish i had more money i could put into their stock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.