Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rodti

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Scotland
So there was your intrepid reporter deciding to ditch his PC and 'think different'. I bought a white 2GHz Macbook on Monday 17th July. It was great! So great in fat that when it started to turn ORANGE on Saturday of that week I was more than just a little disappointed. The next day I went into my local Apple reseller and they feigned surprise. "I've never heard of this before!" they claim, despite the fact I'd been tripping over dozens of reports of this problem every time I'd fired up Camino. Eventually I managed to persuade him to swap it for a new MacBook.

Problem solved? Not quite.

On Friday 29th, only four days after I'd taken my second MacBook home, it starts turning that all too familiar orangy-pink. I took the machine into Scotsys the next day and was told that they'd try and source a new palmrest from Apple, that they'd call me on Monday (or possibly Tuesday morning), and that I could take the machine home with me. On Wednesday I called them, and was told that they couldn't do anything without leaving the machine with them. Helpful.

Yesterday the trackpad button itself started coming loose.

This evening I decided to make my first call to Apple support. After spending ten minutes trying to explain where the 'stain' was ("NO! Not ON the trackpad!") to the French tech support, ten more minutes listening to him repeat the details to me in excrutiating detail, and five minutes on hold, he said I should send the machine to them for repair.

Now maybe I'm setting my expectations too high, but I really don't want a repair. Three weeks ago I spent £1000 on a new computer, and I expect it to work. I don't expect it to change colour. I don't expect bits to start falling off of it. I certainly don't expect this to happen TWICE. I asked to speak to Customer Relations.

After another ten minutes on my mobile phone (no, they won't call you back) with another French person whose English was mercifully a little better than that of her colleague it was suggested that I take it back and buy a black one. "But that's £150 more!" I said. I was reassured that it also had extra capacity. GREAT! SOLD!

Hmm, NO. I asked if Apple would provide a guarantee on any repairs they did, so I'd be safe in the knowledge that any replacement palmrest wouldn't have the same problems. They couldn't do this, apparently. The upshot of this epic and horrifyingly expensive phone call is that if I don't want to have this second defective machine repaired I have to take it back to my local Apple shop for a refund. As far as I know the machines there are all from affected batches, so there's no point in another swap.

And so here sits yours truly, thinking different. I'm thinking of going back to my nice and reliable Toshiba, spending my thousand refunded pounds on gin, then getting drunk as hell and starting fires. Or just demanding I have my machine swapped for a BlackBook for free, even though I prefer white.

Is this what Apple is all about? Is this the kind of customer experience any company would want posted on a public forum? I very much doubt it, althought they're not doing a great deal to sort it out.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
I'd demand you get a BlackBook, sell it on eBay, and then go buy another WhiteBook from Apple.com so you get a new one ;)

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
I love Apple and I used to speak really highly of its customer support and product quality, but seriously, these new MB and MBP lines are really making me question my faith...

What is it? Is it Apple trying to gain marketshare and sell more laptops, and in the process forfeiting quality and customer care?

Was it Apple rushing to get these machines into production before thoroughly addressing any problems?

Is there a bigger demand than before, and as such, proper QC is traded for faster output?

Come on Apple - I know not EVERYONE is upset with their purchases, but I'm sick of reading so many "Apple sucks!" posts.. :rolleyes:

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
rodti said:
... I'm thinking of going back to my nice and reliable Toshiba,...

Haha....thanks, I needed a laugh this morning.

After the way Toshiba treated me, and how poor their laptop was, I vow to never give them another cent as long as I live.

rodti

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Scotland
xfiftyfour said:
I'm sick of reading so many "Apple sucks!" posts.. :rolleyes:

I really don't want to have to say "Apple sucks!", but right now they're not giving me much of a choice!

I'm going to the Apple shop now. I think I might take a bag of guns with me...

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Yet another "newbie" MacBook saga. I suggest using your refund on a purchase from Apple.com and forget about resellers. I have bought all (including my current white MacBook) but one of my Macs from Apple.com and the only one I had issues with was the G4 iBook I bought from a reseller.

If you want a white MacBook then you should buy one and stop stressing over it just get it direct from Apple.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
I vote that you spend the money on Gin. You won't even notice the color change of your macbook after the first bottle. :rolleyes:

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I thought I liked the white MacBook more, and bought one on the first day of release. In less than 24 hours, the deck was turning orange, at which time I realized that I would be better off with black even though I preferred the white, so by Thursday I was down on Regent Street swapping.

Honestly, in the interim, I have come to love the black Mac, and now far prefer it. She is an absolute stunner.

weewee

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2005
i suggest you buy a macbook from amazon.com, its $100 cheeper then apple and they have a 30 day return policy unlike apples measle 15 days.

rodti

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Scotland
mkrishnan said:
Okay, erm, I'll be the guinea pig. :( So your MacBooks....two of them... are changing color on the wrist rest... what's going on with your hands? :eek:

Well that's the thing, while I might be Scottish and so spend most of my time drunk and rolling around in the mud and filth, I do make a point of washing my hands before using a matt white laptop. Certainly more than I would have with my glossy silver Toshiba! I can rule out dirt, and certainly the stain is some sort of reaction _in_ the plastic, I even wondered if perhaps it was being caused by residual detergent on my hands after washing them!

Good news though, picked up another white MacBook yesterday and it's from week 30. Word on the street is that anything after week 27 of manufacture is largely okay, so I'll rub my manky Highland hands all over it for a few days and give you an update.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
mkrishnan said:
Okay, erm, I'll be the guinea pig. :( So your MacBooks....two of them... are changing color on the wrist rest... what's going on with your hands? :eek:

It has nothing to with each individual's way of washing, using or not washing/using his/her hands. The material from one of the batches of Macbooks was simply inferior and thus could not sustain the kind of oils hands have. The problem has been acknowledged by Apple.

rodti

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Scotland
Jiddick ExRex said:
The problem has been acknowledged by Apple.

Although despite being the top troubleshooting entry in the MacBook KBs, trying to get any of their call handlers, customer relations managers or Apple resellers to actually accept it is like screening 'Schindler's List' to a room full of Holocaust deniers.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I got a white macbook exactly same day as u, July 17th, been 3 weeks so far, mine still looks good, but i m still worried, and although I don't blame apple for the discoloration since I don't have one, but I certainly blame apple for this "worrisome" that I shouldn't be thinking at all.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Jiddick ExRex said:
It has nothing to with each individual's way of washing, using or not washing/using his/her hands. The material from one of the batches of Macbooks was simply inferior and thus could not sustain the kind of oils hands have. The problem has been acknowledged by Apple.

Mmmm, sorry, I thought the replacement would've been too new for that. And plus they got dirty, but I forgot the orange part....

rodti

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Scotland
Update: MacBook #3, the week 30 one, is turning YELLOW. Well, at least it's not pink this time. I've tried iKlear and it won't shift it. Again it seems to be a change in the plastic.

I'm utterly fed up now, as since it's over two weeks this time I don't think I can return it to the reseller. I actually feel really sorry for the reseller having to swap all these machines. As AppleCare were unhelpful almost to the point of being rude last time I dealt with them, I'm going to make this a highest-level complaint with Apple in the hope that SOMETHING actually gets done. :mad:

brbubba

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Jiddick ExRex said:

Its quite clear that some people have more of the chemical in their sweat that reacts with the plastic. The fact that it takes months for some, weeks for others, and others none at all, indicates that some people are more susceptible to this issue than others.

If OP is still having issues he might want to check out sheildzone, hopefully that would stop the discoloring issue.

rodti

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Scotland
brbubba said:
Its quite clear that some people have more of the chemical in their sweat that reacts with the plastic. The fact that it takes months for some, weeks for others, and others none at all, indicates that some people are more susceptible to this issue than others.

Why then did it take less than five days with my first two machines, then three weeks with the third? If it is caused by sweat then I'm fairly sure I'm sweating the same sweat as I was with the other MBs. I have incredibly consistent sweat.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
That seems to be the case - chemicals in the sweat on the palms. Both of my Macbooks were fine with me, but when I lent one to a friend it came back stained. I sent that off for repair and being curious, when the MB came back I lent my friend the other one. Stained. Sent that off for repair, came back, lent him the other one, no more staining. Didn't have both repaired machines long enough to experience yellowing. However when more important things started going wrong Apple did eventually take back all the iMacs / Macbooks after I was forceful about sending them back.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
rodti said:
Update: MacBook #3, the week 30 one, is turning YELLOW. Well, at least it's not pink this time. I've tried iKlear and it won't shift it. Again it seems to be a change in the plastic.

I'm utterly fed up now, as since it's over two weeks this time I don't think I can return it to the reseller. I actually feel really sorry for the reseller having to swap all these machines. As AppleCare were unhelpful almost to the point of being rude last time I dealt with them, I'm going to make this a highest-level complaint with Apple in the hope that SOMETHING actually gets done. :mad:

:( Get a black Macbook.. or give up. But first complain to Apple, sometimes people complain enough and they get upgraded machines for the same price or $50 coupons and stuff like that. Tell us how it goes!

Why then did it take less than five days with my first two machines, then three weeks with the third? If it is caused by sweat then I'm fairly sure I'm sweating the same sweat as I was with the other MBs. I have incredibly consistent sweat.

Maybe, the first two were the laptops that didn't have the newer plastic, so they got stained faster. The third one had the new plastic that wasn't supposed to stain but somehow your sweat still managed to affect it (it only took longer because the new plastic is more resistant). Or something, lol. Totally bogus, I know. Just complain to Apple.

brbubba

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Sesshi said:
That seems to be the case - chemicals in the sweat on the palms. Both of my Macbooks were fine with me, but when I lent one to a friend it came back stained. I sent that off for repair and being curious, when the MB came back I lent my friend the other one. Stained. Sent that off for repair, came back, lent him the other one, no more staining. Didn't have both repaired machines long enough to experience yellowing. However when more important things started going wrong Apple did eventually take back all the iMacs / Macbooks after I was forceful about sending them back.

After the first time I would have told my friend, "get yo sweaty palms off of my macbook!"

rodti said:

Probably connected to diet and biochemistry. Similar to the garlic effect,
from wikipedia:
When eaten in quantity, garlic may be strongly evident in the diner's sweat and breath the following day. This is because garlic's strong smelling sulfur compounds are metabolized forming allyl methyl sulfide. Allyl methyl sulfide (AMS) cannot be digested and is passed into the blood. It is carried to the lungs and the skin where it is excreted. Since digestion takes several hours, and release of AMS several hours more, the effect of eating garlic may be present for a long time.

emotistically

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2006
My macbook looks great. Been using it for weeks now, and I am a hard user on it. My hands are usually always covered with... But no colour change to speak of. I suggest water based over oil based, maybe that will help.;)

rodti

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Scotland
brbubba said:
Probably connected to diet and biochemistry. Similar to the garlic effect,

Garlic? I'm not FRENCH!

My MacBook inexplicably refused to turn on this morning. Finally got it working by resetting the PRAM. If you listen carefully you may soon hear a MacBook being thrown out of a fourth floor window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.