Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I'd ask for a refund from the reseller and get one from the online store. At least Apple has acknowleged the problem (there was a news item about it a while ago), and they won't send you one which could have the problem...

rodti

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Scotland
Killyp said:
I'd ask for a refund from the reseller and get one from the online store. At least Apple has acknowleged the problem (there was a news item about it a while ago), and they won't send you one which could have the problem...

I think I'm too late to take it back - isn't that only an option within two weeks of purchase?

Both the reseller and me are tired of swapping machines anyway, I'm sure they'd be really pleased if I turn up asking for a refund. This is Apple's problem and I'm going to give them hell for it tomorrow :cool:

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
rodti said:
I think I'm too late to take it back - isn't that only an option within two weeks of purchase?

Both the reseller and me are tired of swapping machines anyway, I'm sure they'd be really pleased if I turn up asking for a refund. This is Apple's problem and I'm going to give them hell for it tomorrow :cool:

No, you're not too late to ask for the machine to be changed or to demand a refund. The machine is faulty and has been acknowledged as being defective by the manufacturer. If they (the reseller or the Apple) don't treat you satisfactorily, give them 'hell' until they do. Remember, you have rights as a consumer, so don't be afraid to use them! :)

williamsfunk

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Replacing the palmrest on the MacBook - Sydney, Australia

Hi all,

Now, like any computer user, I use my computer. I really cannot not go without it for more than a day without really digging into study and other purposes that I compute (MacBook).

Does anyone know anywhere in Sydney where they (Apple Tech support) will replace the 'coloured' area on my MacBook, there and then? We don't have genius bars and have only ever been let down by any Apple representative in Australia!

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Sorry to come in late and lame here - but are the White MB's still turning yellow!!!??? I was just about to buy - Monday probably- but I have enough stress in my life....

c'mon apple, get with the ballgame! I'm not going to buy a windows machine, but I'll wait and be grumpy...

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2004
Are there any pictures? I'm interested in seeing the damage. I've been walking in and out of different apple stores and their display macbooks are very white. And so many people touch them with various degrees of clean or dirty hands.

rodti

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Scotland
dorqiekat said:
Are there any pictures? I'm interested in seeing the damage. I've been walking in and out of different apple stores and their display macbooks are very white. And so many people touch them with various degrees of clean or dirty hands.

I'll try and take some pics of the yellowing tonight. I wish I'd taken pictures of the pink on my previous two, that was much more impressive!

In other news my machine boots to a black screen when it boots up unless I do a PRAM reset. I like doing PRAM resets. Like every time I start the machine. Urgh.

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
How old are these macbooks? Apple HAS to be doing something about this! Where are all the yellow macbooks going? You would think there would be 29482349384934839 refurbs on the apple site for sale if EVERYONE was returning them for one reason or another? Anyways..I want one. Not a yellow, or pink, or orange or whatever one. A WHITE ONE. I plan on ordering SOON. Hopefully, with all of the students and things like that buying them and making the shipping times take longer they are manufacturing A LOT more. HOPEFULLY without this problem! :cool:

rodti

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Scotland
JMies419 said:
How old are these macbooks?

Manufactured in week 23, 26 and 30. The first two changed colour in a matter of days, the week 30 took longer but is just as bad.

inlimbo

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2005
Sydney, Australia
rodti sorry your experience with Apple has been so bad. Its bloody awful! I can understand why u are pissed off.

If I were you I would consider the following options.
1) If you want a NEW machine buy either a black macbook (from what I read they have no problems) or upgrade to a Macbook Pro (I know it costs more but I guarantee you will be happy with the purchase)
2) buy a second hand iBook or PB.
3) all orange/yellow/pink macbook owners take out a class action :) Fight the power!

Though it seems that people who have got their machines from the online store have had no problems? :confused: is that right?

It really doesn't do much for Apple's advertising trying to convice people to switch does it? Im imagine those new Apple ads with Justin Long in orange 'Hey Im a mac and I can change colour!'

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
brbubba said:
After the first time I would have told my friend, "get yo sweaty palms off of my macbook!"

Probably connected to diet and biochemistry. Similar to the garlic effect,

Of course. I was curious and mildly annoyed at the same time, I'm sure you can understand.

All the same, I'm glad I've got rid of the POS laptops and replaced it with something of actual quality from Sony. The ironic thing is, Sony can't build **** worth a damn these days... yet even then, they can out-build Apple.

rodti

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Scotland
inlimbo said:
rodti sorry your experience with Apple has been so bad. Its bloody awful! I can understand why u are pissed off.

I had a good old go at Apple Customer Relations last night and despite the language barrier (French last time I called, this time they sounded vaguely African) and after refusing their offer of a fix for the PRAM issue "I don't want to fix a yellow laptop!" I repeatedly stated that I wanted them to send me a new machine with a guarantee.

Well, I don't know how far I'll get with the guarantee, but they're going to pick up my YellowBrokeBook by courier and send a brand spanking new one back. Rather miffed they didn't offer to do a straight swap at the door, as per mobile phone exchanges, but it's good enough for me. Well, as long as it does only take the day or two they promised.

Hopefully this one will be one of those 'good' MacBooks from the Apple store that never fail!

fallacy

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2006
White mac

Holy hell.. I just finished reading about your experience Rodti and feel pretty horrible for you. And me. Christ man, i just bought one 2 weeks ago! I just found this post today. I'm screwed if this happens as I ordered it over the phone.. could i ask you to quote a reference # for your experience with the mac exchange should this same problem happen for me.. I'm thinking I'll have a better time convincing them of a situation that's already happened to somebody else..

thx and let us know how it works out for you..

rodti

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Scotland
fallacy said:
Holy hell.. I just finished reading about your experience Rodti and feel pretty horrible for you. And me. Christ man, i just bought one 2 weeks ago! I just found this post today. I'm screwed if this happens as I ordered it over the phone.. could i ask you to quote a reference # for your experience with the mac exchange should this same problem happen for me.. I'm thinking I'll have a better time convincing them of a situation that's already happened to somebody else..

thx and let us know how it works out for you..

Whatever you do, DON'T... TOUCH... THE MACBOOK. If you obey this one simple rule you should be okay. Seriously though, if you experience similar problems get in touch and I'll send you the case reference.

Meanwhile, two days later I've still not heard from Apple/TNT regarding collection....

rodti

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Scotland
rodti said:
Meanwhile, two days later I've still not heard from Apple/TNT regarding collection....

Dud machine finally picked up by TNT on Monday. Phoned Apple to get an expectation for when I might get the new machine, as the customer relations person I'd spoken to said it should be sent 'straight away'. Apparently 'straight away' means some time next week at the earliest. This is completely unacceptable, time to go ballistic at Apple and demand compensation. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.