Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Exodemia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
I've bought a 13.3" MacBook with Intel Core Duo 2.0GHZ, 1GB RAM and 80GB hard drive. I've not received it yet but I would like to know people's opinions and experiences with this particular Apple laptop, whether they've had any issues or problems with it, basically the overall picture. Anything that can contribute about this laptop would be great because it will then confirm what I think to be a great choice.

xpovos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
I've just bought a used 13" MacBook off eBay, what do people think of it? Is it good?

Kind of a poor choice of place to ask this question, assuming you want an unbiased opinion.

Given that the MacBook is Apple's highest-selling computer model and most popular laptop, along with the ground it's gaining in market share, I would say people think it's good.

It's also much less defect-ridden than the MacBook Pro, by all indications.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I'll say no.

Only because you didn't post any information about the specifications, the price, or if it arrived as presented.

In before "shoulda waited for Leopard".

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
This is easier to find.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 1,022

Exodemia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
I'm going to use an external SATA enclosure at the moment just whilst I get up and running with it then look forward to other accessories and extras :)

hidehide

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
I dont understand what you mean. There is a 13" macbook PRO??
And they are still selling core duo???

ale500

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
I got the MB C2D, with similar specs to yours. No problems. I got as of this week, 2 GB RAM. That seem to speed up quite a bit of things, especially Fusion !. I can only praise this little wonder.

Exodemia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Yeah I think it's going to be perfect for uni! Did you get a matched pair kit?

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
I have one as a secondary, portable Mac, and I have to say it's one nifty little computer. Good battery life, quality screen. I love it!

But personally I would never get the white one any more. It gets dirty pretty quickly.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I love my macbook, the only issue is that it is somewhat slow when I run parallels, but everything I've read says that is due to the 1gb of ram, I'm thinking of maxing it out (4 gigs, will only actually use 3.3 gigs however) to reduce the slugish parallels performance. The computer is very fast when just using Macintosh programs, however.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
I'm sure you can clean it though!

Well, yeah, you can clean the dirt. But bodily fluids such as sweat also seem to affect the material, making the trackpad and keys look greasy after a couple of weeks. I haven't been able to remove it, so it's something you'll have to live with.

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
I've bought a 13" MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo 2.0GHZ, 1GB RAM and 80GB hard drive. I've not received it yet but I would like to know people's opinions and experiences with this particular Apple laptop, whether they've had any issues or problems with it, basically the overall picture. Anything that can contribute about this laptop would be great because it will then confirm what I think to be a great choice.

13" MacBook Pro?

ale500

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
Yeah I think it's going to be perfect for uni! Did you get a matched pair kit?

I got a matched pair from Corsair, exactly : VS2GSDSKIT667D2, Value Select :).
It was only 3 Euro more than 2 single DIMMs.
There were reports of kernel panics with 4GB of physical. So be warned ! (search for the thread, I think was something like 4GB in a macbook).

Fusion (VMWare) was a bit sluggish to resume and suspend (320 MB allocated), now it just flies. But I only use that for 2 programs, Propeller Tool and Logic Port soft (Logic analyzer). Not very demanding at all.

Quiara

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
There's no such thing as a 13" MacBook pro.

Other than that, though, I think you'll like it. I have the 2.16GHz C2D model.

As far as the case issues/dirty whatever: I haven't had any problems with my case becoming dingy at all. It doesn't look grimy or greasy or anything. I don't know if it's because of the case change with the speed bump or what, but I haven't had any issues with it.

Like everyone has said: it depends on what you want to do with your computer whether you'll find it to be adequate or not, but for a lot of people, it's a really good choice.

Exodemia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Well 13" was just a rounding down of 13.3" but some people are quite pedantic lol. Oh right, how much was it for the matched pair? I can't wait to get it! I want to show it off even though it's a year old :p

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Well 13" was just a rounding down of 13.3" but some people are quite pedantic lol. Oh right, how much was it for the matched pair? I can't wait to get it! I want to show it off even though it's a year old :p

There's no such thing as a 13.3" MacBook Pro either.

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Why on Earth did my last post appear before yours, even though I quoted it?

Er. Whatever.

Exodemia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
I don't know :p another question, has anyone extensively modified an Apple laptop? If so where can I find pics etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.