Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

massimiliano_mr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2021
It's two days I am using my new MacBook Pro 14". It's great! But today, roughly 48 hours after unboxing it, I've noticed some of the key buttons have started to wear off. One has like a dent on it on its side. Another has a little mark on its angle. How is it possible that this machine is wearing off so quickly?

You can see some pictures attached. Note: the defects are minimal, but consider that this machine is brand new! What is it going to happen after a one year use? Also, if you're wondering, my fingernails are short, and nothing similar happened using my 2017 MacBook Pro.

The letter D is the one that bothers me the most because you can feel the defect while typing.

IMG_0185.jpeg
IMG_0186.jpeg
IMG_0187.jpeg

Last edited:

SirKeldon

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2021
Barcelona, Spain
It seems QA team missed to examine thoroughly that keyboard, at least with the "D" and the "F11" keys (I can see the damage on "F9" but doesn't appear to be as dramatic as the other two) and you're not the first person to complain regarding this. Since it's brand new, I'll contact Apple and examine my options, maybe you're referred to an Apple Store to replace the keycaps if they have it available, or more than likely, they'll offer to replace that unit (read in another post a mate that had a mushy key and they couldn't offer the repair since keyboards are so brand new and they hadn't parts to fix it, so a replacement was offered to him)

Being on the return period, I wouldn't accept those defects, specially the letter "D", it even would be hard for me if I created those scars, but that's not your case. If your machine is a configured/personalized order, you can try to replace that unit w/o having to give yours till the new one arrives (talk to Apple regarding this)

Best of lucks!

PS: Been using mine for a couple of weeks and no tear-down appeared in any key, so I'll definitely ask for a replacement, or at least, those keycaps changed

Reactions: massimiliano_mr

yitwail

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2011
I don't own one of these so just asking out of curiosity, but they make them with light color keys? Every photo I've seen of the MBP 14 & 16 shows black keys. ?‍♂️

massimiliano_mr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2021
It seems QA team missed to examine thoroughly that keyboard, at least with the "D" and the "F11" keys (I can see the damage on "F9" but doesn't appear to be as dramatic as the other two) and you're not the first person to complain regarding this. Since it's brand new, I'll contact Apple and examine my options, maybe you're referred to an Apple Store to replace the keycaps if they have it available, or more than likely, they'll offer to replace that unit (read in another post a mate that had a mushy key and they couldn't offer the repair since keyboards are so brand new and they hadn't parts to fix it, so a replacement was offered to him)

Being on the return period, I wouldn't accept those defects, specially the letter "D", it even would be hard for me if I created those scars, but that's not your case. If your machine is a configured/personalized order, you can try to replace that unit w/o having to give yours till the new one arrives (talk to Apple regarding this)

Best of lucks!

PS: Been using mine for a couple of weeks and no tear-down appeared in any key, so I'll definitely ask for a replacement, or at least, those keycaps changed
Thanks for your answer! I've booked an appointment for today at the apple store.

Even though I am from Europe, my MacBook Pro has a US keyboard. I ordered it on the online apple store because they don't keep in stock MacBooks with the US keyboard layout.

I truly hope I won't have to give up my new MacBook while waiting for a replacement!

Best of lucks!

They basically gave me two options: (1) I return the MacBook and wait up to the 16 Jan to get a new back (2) the replace the key button with the defects.

Not sure on what I should do.. repairing a brand new MacBook sound bad, and getting a new one implies waiting a month..

Edit: my problem has been escalated, and they allowed me to receive a new one without having to return mine before it arrives! This is exactly what they do when the MacBook is not personalised. I’m happy they made an exception for me, but I really think this how it should work even for personalised MacBooks!

Last edited:

SirKeldon

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2021
Barcelona, Spain
Edit: my problem has been escalated, and they allowed me to receive a new one without having to return mine before it arrives! This is exactly what they do when the MacBook is not personalised. I’m happy they made an exception for me, but I really think this how it should work even for personalised MacBooks!
I think maybe you misplaced the words, that's exactly the procedure they do when it is a personalized/custom order, as they offered with mine since it was 32GB, and yours, since you also customized the keyboard, should be eligible too.

But yes, IMHO you're correct that if it's a problem that opts for a replacement, you should keep your MBP till the new one arrives in case you can still use it for functional work regarding it's a custom order or not. I'm glad that they made the "exception" for you, though I'm not 100% sure it marks as such, of course, this last bit is just an opinion, don't know internal Apple policies regarding this.

Hope you get your replacement unit soon!

massimiliano_mr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2021
I think maybe you misplaced the words, that's exactly the procedure they do when it is a personalized/custom order, as they offered with mine since it was 32GB, and yours, since you also customized the keyboard, should be eligible too.

But yes, IMHO you're correct that if it's a problem that opts for a replacement, you should keep your MBP till the new one arrives in case you can still use it for functional work regarding it's a custom order or not. I'm glad that they made the "exception" for you, though I'm not 100% sure it marks as such, of course, this last bit is just an opinion, don't know internal Apple policies regarding this.

Hope you get your replacement unit soon!
Maybe you're right and it's not an exeption. But at the apple store they told me it was impossible to do so! They only gave me the two options I stated before, and told me no exception could be done. Only after having contacted the apple support via phone (and escalated the problem) I was offered this option.

MaximTV

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2016
Germany
Maybe you're right and it's not an exeption. But at the apple store they told me it was impossible to do so! They only gave me the two options I stated before, and told me no exception could be done. Only after having contacted the apple support via phone (and escalated the problem) I was offered this option.
It's most likely something they can't offer or aren't allowed to in stores. This exception is called 'advanced replacement' and has to be approved by a supervisor/higher-level CS Rep. from Apple's Cork Office in Ireland (when you're in Europe, I don't know about the US)

Glad to hear they approved it for you!

J.Gallardo

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2017
Spain
Strange keyboard!
Mine is black, made with some kind of plastic. And proportions of logo in function keys is not the same in the photo and in new 14” MacBook…
Did you buy from AliExpress?

massimiliano_mr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2021
Strange keyboard!
Mine is black, made with some kind of plastic. And proportions of logo in function keys is not the same in the photo and in new 14” MacBook…
Did you buy from AliExpress?
I bought the MacBook from the apple store online

SirKeldon

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2021
Barcelona, Spain
It's most likely something they can't offer or aren't allowed to in stores. This exception is called 'advanced replacement' and has to be approved by a supervisor/higher-level CS Rep. from Apple's Cork Office in Ireland (when you're in Europe, I don't know about the US)

Glad to hear they approved it for you!
I didn't know that regarding the stores. In my case, despite I was in return period, Apple Genius told me they weren't allowed to do it from there cause my order was performed online, but since it was custom w/32GB, I'd have no problem to get a replacement w/o having to deliver mine by calling them, but reading you, it seems that you have more insights, and it clearly needs Sales intervention, no matter if it's custom order or not. Thank you!

Reactions: MaximTV

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I just checked the keyboard on my M1 PRO MBP 16 and the keys are flawless. Is it possible that you got a refurb? I'm looking at my 2015 keyboard at it looks flawless as well (keycaps were replaced in May with battery replacement). I can't recall when I've ever had a problem with Apple keycaps and I've been using MacBook Pros since 2007.

I'd contact Apple about it.

massimiliano_mr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2021
I just checked the keyboard on my M1 PRO MBP 16 and the keys are flawless. Is it possible that you got a refurb? I'm looking at my 2015 keyboard at it looks flawless as well (keycaps were replaced in May with battery replacement). I can't recall when I've ever had a problem with Apple keycaps and I've been using MacBook Pros since 2007.

I'd contact Apple about it.
Apple already agreed to substitute my device with a new one.

I suppose Apple doesn’t sell refurbished products as if they where new! It’s probably a manufacturing defect.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Apple already agreed to substitute my device with a new one.

I suppose Apple doesn’t sell refurbished products as if they where new! It’s probably a manufacturing defect.

Glad to hear that it worked out.

Apple Computers go through a long sequence of events to get to us and it's possible that something goes wrong. I'd guess that Apple will try to figure out what happened so that it doesn't happen again.

Reactions: massimiliano_mr

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
I just noticed that the black anodized area under the W and P keys of my 16" M1 Max has "missing paint"; it looks like little tiny squares have flaked off.

At first I thought it was oil from my finger tips typing on the keys, but when I went to clean it I couldn't remove these marks.

Last edited:

massimiliano_mr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2021
I just noticed that the black anodized area under the W and P keys of my 16" M1 Max has "missing paint"; it looks like little tiny squares have flaked off.

At first I thought it was oil from my finger tips typing on the keys, but then went I went to clean it I couldn't remove these marks.
Can you post a picture?

Reactions: Redneck1089

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
Can you post a picture?

It's just under the W and P keys. I see the same problem developing in a few other areas of the keyboard now, too; it's under my 1 key, and just under my left Shift key, as well.

I'm actually just on the phone with Apple right now working on getting a replacement.

EDIT: Spoke with Apple advisor. They won't do a replacement on the laptop; they'll only repair it, and for that I have to bring it into a service centre, which is not at all convenient right now.

Attachments

• tempImageZnANZ4.png
    tempImageZnANZ4.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 654
  • tempImagecEQhcr.png
    tempImagecEQhcr.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 368
Last edited:

isaactanjs

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2014
now this is concerning.. the durability of the keys. I noticed they're of a matte material. will it flake off with use? Only on my 2nd day with the 14 inch pro.. hoping this doesn't happen to my keys.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
now this is concerning.. the durability of the keys. I noticed they're of a matte material. will it flake off with use? Only on my 2nd day with the 14 inch pro.. hoping this doesn't happen to my keys.
See my post above yours. The answer is: yes.

• Sad
Reactions: isaactanjs

brokenpc

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2019
Hi,

my "W" key on my MBP 14 has something like this too, unfortunately my iPhone tries to change the form of it :D

It's like a grain of dust under paint which got caught during the painting process.

My MBP more than 2 months old but I have Apple Care. My problem is that I guess that the paint will come off after some time (think of a breaking surface or something like this when it is not solid)

What do you think? Should I bother going to a Genius Bar with this?

Attachments

• tempImage75TwOR.png
    tempImage75TwOR.png
    2 MB · Views: 198
  • tempImageAvWvNt.png
    tempImageAvWvNt.png
    2 MB · Views: 266

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Hi,

my "W" key on my MBP 14 has something like this too, unfortunately my iPhone tries to change the form of it :D

It's like a grain of dust under paint which got caught during the painting process.

My MBP more than 2 months old but I have Apple Care. My problem is that I guess that the paint will come off after some time (think of a breaking surface or something like this when it is not solid)

I got a new keycaps on my 2015 when the Apple Store replaced the battery. Will Apple do the same with these models?

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Hi,

I noticed similar "grain of dust under paint" in one of my keyboard keys (it is on the top side of the key but not in the middle but close to the edge of the key) like in you photo of W key lower left side. In my MBP is looks pretty much the same as if you grain of dust was under the paint. My MBP 14" is a week old. I'm not sure if it was there in the begin with but I'm pretty sure I would have noticed it. I cannot see any other damage on that key and I have not used any chemicals or dirty hands on it, it has no finger oils or such.

Not really an issue but I was wondering are these keyboards prone to develop these or is it just that I did not notice it right away?

I have been using my MBP 14" in clamshell mode and it has not gotten very hot or anything. One thing just popped my mind is that I have my MBP on the table near the window with Venetian blinds closed all the time but I guess some sunlight get thru the gaps but there has not been very warm or sunny days in my location within a week and I don't know if sun really could do such thing when the blinds are closed and why it would be only in this one key. Also my display lid has been closed so even it sun would shine on it, it would be shining one the silver color lid.

Did your keyboard develop more of these and did W key start to peel of the paint or something like that? Did you have it serviced?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.