Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleincognito

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2014
It's two days I am using my new MacBook Pro 14". It's great! But today, roughly 48 hours after unboxing it, I've noticed some of the key buttons have started to wear off. One has like a dent on it on its side. Another has a little mark on its angle. How is it possible that this machine is wearing off so quickly?

You can see some pictures attached. Note: the defects are minimal, but consider that this machine is brand new! What is it going to happen after a one year use? Also, if you're wondering, my fingernails are short, and nothing similar happened using my 2017 MacBook Pro.

The letter D is the one that bothers me the most because you can feel the defect while typing.

View attachment 1929370 View attachment 1929371 View attachment 1929372

It's just under the W and P keys. I see the same problem developing in a few other areas of the keyboard now, too; it's under my 1 key, and just under my left Shift key, as well.

I'm actually just on the phone with Apple right now working on getting a replacement.

EDIT: Spoke with Apple advisor. They won't do a replacement on the laptop; they'll only repair it, and for that I have to bring it into a service centre, which is not at all convenient right now.

Hi,

my "W" key on my MBP 14 has something like this too, unfortunately my iPhone tries to change the form of it :D

It's like a grain of dust under paint which got caught during the painting process.

My MBP more than 2 months old but I have Apple Care. My problem is that I guess that the paint will come off after some time (think of a breaking surface or something like this when it is not solid)

What do you think? Should I bother going to a Genius Bar with this?

Please also check the below for me, it looks like all your keyboards aren't aligned vertically either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.