Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drumstr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2016
I am wondering if others are having issues with their 16 " MacBook Pro. My touch Bar goes unresponsive and will not register anything and a few times my computer has froze. I also have a 2016 MacBook Pro and didn't experience these issues. I wonder if its because of Catalina 10.15.1. I also have the annoying popping and crackling speaker issue that comes and goes. I have a base model i7 with nothing upgraded and it also runs very hot. The Touch Bar and keyboard get very warm at times and wondering if I have a dud of a unit or if other spec models are better in this regard.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I have a 16" and today noticed the crackling speakers and then at Starbucks with the sun shinning (yes in Seattle!) the screen kept flickering up and then down and up and down, which I am sure is due to auto dimming, but this seemed odd! and then yesterday my Touch Bar was frozen too.. hmmmmm beginning to wonder anyone experience similar issues?

Reactions: g75d3

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
I have a 16" and today noticed the crackling speakers and then at Starbucks with the sun shinning (yes in Seattle!) the screen kept flickering up and then down and up and down, which I am sure is due to auto dimming, but this seemed odd! and then yesterday my Touch Bar was frozen too.. hmmmmm beginning to wonder anyone experience similar issues?
“and then at Starbucks”... I smiled at this part :)

Reactions: kp98077

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
Why don't you try a clean install?
I think these are all within the realm of what other people have observed with the machine, so I don’t think that would help. We probably just need to wait for some software updates. I have had the Touch Bar freeze a number of times on my 2016 13” MacBook Pro (and that was under Mojave) but not yet on the new one, so this isn’t unique to the 16” either.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
yes the guy at the apple store said it is a common issue that will be handled in an update, but seems like this has been going for a lot of people for a while.....

americo

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
i have the same issue. but my Mbp 16 has the issue on he dx side of the bar only. the side with volume and brightness.

EFS

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
I am wondering if others are having issues with their 16 " MacBook Pro. My touch Bar goes unresponsive and will not register anything and a few times my computer has froze. I also have a 2016 MacBook Pro and didn't experience these issues. I wonder if its because of Catalina 10.15.1. I also have the annoying popping and crackling speaker issue that comes and goes. I have a base model i7 with nothing upgraded and it also runs very hot. The Touch Bar and keyboard get very warm at times and wondering if I have a dud of a unit or if other spec models are better in this regard.
I am also having a lot of issues too. So far my speakers have not worked, but I have not had time to look into that. My #1 issue is that the WIFI works at best intermittently, and then it is slow. Mostly it does not work at all. I have tried every hack I can find online - so far no lasting success. I am going to schedule a call with Apple today. If we can't get to the bottom of this I plan to return the machine and sit tight with my 2014 MBP for six months until they can resolve the hardware and/or software issues.

Whackman

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
No issues yet. Well, one actually: Adobe Illustrator sometimes just stops if don't use it for a while. If i use it then nothing happens. Weird issue that i don't really have a problem with (as it works perfectly fine when i need it) but it's weird as to why it happens.

Oh, and the pop sound from the speakers when scrolling through a video.

Last edited:

PROFESS0R

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2017
Did you happen to use Migration Assistant when you set up your computer?

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2017
Backlight bleeding at 3 points on upper line of screen. İgnore mouse cursor
6B7E20D9-68C9-4726-8295-9C5C4EC1E777.jpeg

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I am also having a lot of issues too. So far my speakers have not worked, but I have not had time to look into that. My #1 issue is that the WIFI works at best intermittently, and then it is slow. Mostly it does not work at all. I have tried every hack I can find online - so far no lasting success. I am going to schedule a call with Apple today. If we can't get to the bottom of this I plan to return the machine and sit tight with my 2014 MBP for six months until they can resolve the hardware and/or software issues.
Do I understand that your speakers literally don't work at all? If that's the case, I would return it immediately and not worry about trying to troubleshoot wifi.

Glenny2lappies

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2006
Brighton, UK
My 16"...
  • Intermittent nightshift-like hue changes
  • Intermittent panel contrast - "washed out", needs a sleep and restore
  • Intermittent lock up of keyboard and mouse on wakeup
  • The thing is warm after leaving it in my bag overnight - power at 37% this morning, so it doesn't sleep (I feel this is dangerous)
  • Scratch-tastic case; anodising isn't very resistant to scratches like every other Mac I've owned
  • Sound popping
  • Not easy to use as a laptop due to the oversize trackpad
  • Lots of Cortana^H^H^H Catalina issues - seems like a beta version
Getting less happy about this machine.

Agreed, these are all hygiene factors and -- aside from the sleep -- aren't serious. They are annoying especially for a £5000/$5000 machine (inc warranty)

Reactions: Arise2B and g75d3

Collywobbles

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2017
Bluetooth devices are randomly disconnecting, Apple keyboards and trackpads.
I have a locking issue when connected to external screens and I've been presented with this lovely display extra.... Not something I was expecting to ever see...

And you get all this for 4 grand or more!! (in whatever currency!)

Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 19.46.17.png

dingobiatch

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2009
Haven't had this issue at all. Actually, aside from a few plugin installers for Logic being broken with Catalina, this computer is running amazingly well. I feel like every bought-on-release computer I've had prior (2015 mbp, 2014mbp, 2012mbp) have had weird issues.

Whackman

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Haven't had this issue at all. Actually, aside from a few plugin installers for Logic being broken with Catalina, this computer is running amazingly well. I feel like every bought-on-release computer I've had prior (2015 mbp, 2014mbp, 2012mbp) have had weird issues.
Yeah i also had some 3d party plugins not working anymore but they're slowly starting to bring out new versions. So it will be allright.

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
I have had keyboard disconnect once during my 1,5 week use. In my case I suspect it may be related to VMWare Fusion.

Collywobbles

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2017
well, I'm not actually trying to get it to fail; it just does. and it's happened more than once; several times more than it should have, for it to be a coincidence.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.