Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angelbur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
To start off I've gone and read all about prohibited "do not enter" symbol problems around. Here's whats different that doesn't seem to work for me.

Macbook pro 2011 15 inch
- I don't get a apple logo at the start, just right to the symbol after 10-15seconds
- touched harddrive as it booted but didn't feel it spin
- donggled the hard drive on usb and hit cmd + R to change the drive
- held cmd+R and it does not send me to the boot menu.
- saw that fans not working could give that symbol but they both turned on

hit shft+V at start up and got this:
"efiboot loaded from device: Acpi (PNP0A03,0)/Pci(BIO)/SATA(0.0)/HD(Part2,SigCS5FE9AC1-773A-4C23-ADF0-A8B252EE34C7)
efiboot file path: \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
Start OpenVolume
End OpenVolume
Start ProcessOptions
End ProcessOptions

This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform!
Reason: Mac-F22587C8

So I thought maybe the OS I had on the hard drive was wrong but dont know how if I didn't feel the harddrive spin and dont even get a loading apple logo.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
CMD + R would not give you a boot menu. That's for booting to your Recovery system.
If the hard drive has failed (or as suggested above, the hard drive cable (SATA cable) has somehow failed) then you probably won't be able to boot to the Recovery system, either (It's on the same hard drive)

Try booting while holding the Option/Alt key.
That should bring up a boot drive screen, and should show most any drive that you might have connected that might possibly boot on your Mac.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Try an NVRAM reset, but wait until you hear the chime for the 3rd time before releasing the keys. This was the most common thing I had to do for macs at ESPN when I worked there.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Try an NVRAM reset, but wait until you hear the chime for the 3rd time before releasing the keys. This was the most common thing I had to do for macs at ESPN when I worked there.
Good tip!
Don't forget to re-select the default boot drive in System Preferences/Startup Disk pane.
The NVRAM reset will clear out the boot drive setting.
If the default drive is not selected, that can add to boot times, too.

Reactions: NT1440
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.