Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonhcox

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
North Carolina
I know the consensus is that hard shells are not good for the hinges but I bought one anyways for a 2018 NTB 13" MacBook Pro. Not exactly sure why as I bought AC+ and a skin from dbrand. I always get this knee-jerk reaction to cover all my new stuff and then end up taking the cases off after 4-5 months. I worked in Apple Retail for 4 years then as a MacOS T2 Team Manager. Honestly we saw many machines come into the store with hard shells and the Geniuses generally didn't frown on them. They had to remove them before leaving them, but no one got a lecture about wear to the hinge.

zshane1125

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2018
Hey guys received my special all black leather sleeve order from Picasco lab today, and I am extremely satisfied. The leather is very thick and high quality, my MacBook fits extremely snug, and will loosen to perfect fit once it breaks in more.

It is probably the highest quality sleeve I ve seen on the market.

B6A6F244-D926-4118-9C20-0DE3F9CFEFD5.jpeg
D7F5AAB7-868D-43B2-9C1F-48730BD723B0.jpeg

Reactions: johnnyapples33d

PVDHell

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2018
PVD
Hey guys received my special all black leather sleeve order from Picasco lab today, and I am extremely satisfied. The leather is very thick and high quality, my MacBook fits extremely snug, and will loosen to perfect fit once it breaks in more.

View attachment 825048 View attachment 825049

Looks nice, I just couldn’t get past not having the ports exposed to charge while in the sleeve. Which is why I chose woolnut over Picasso lab.

Attachments

• 61BE2269-7770-4F12-A0AE-60C85CE81F5F.jpeg
    61BE2269-7770-4F12-A0AE-60C85CE81F5F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 423
  • 0E9FA29A-98AC-4AD5-B086-05162458F8E6.jpeg
    0E9FA29A-98AC-4AD5-B086-05162458F8E6.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 467

zshane1125

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2018
Yes, I tried that case as well, did not like it as much, the leather is thinner and not as sturdy / nice. Plus not a fan of the logo. Don’t care about charging while in sleeve

The stitching and leather on this sleeve are substantial, this thing will last for life.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008

View attachment 825048 View attachment 825049

Was the black leather with black stitching a special order? Was there an additional charge for this? I've looked at their products before and I always prefer black on black, but never saw this combination on their site.

Is the sleeve tight enough where you have any concerns of the keys leaving an impression on the screen or any other negative side effects?

EDIT: Forgot to ask... Is the leather very shiny in person?

Thanks!

zshane1125

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2018
Was the black leather with black stitching a special order? Was there an additional charge for this? I've looked at their products before and I always prefer black on black, but never saw this combination on their site.

Is the sleeve tight enough where you have any concerns of the keys leaving an impression on the screen or any other negative side effects?

EDIT: Forgot to ask... Is the leather very shiny in person?

Thanks!

Yes, it's a special order, you have to text him privately, his number is found on the bottom of the site. No additional charge. The leather is black, the stitching is black, and the inner lining is black / gray felt, looks sick.

The sleeve is extremely tight at first, you have to exert a lot of force to push it all the way in. He provides instructions on how to form the sleeve to your MacBook. I ve taken out it in and out 2-3 times now, it's getting better and better each time, it would be a perfect fit once completely breaks in. I have not noticed any key foot print issues so far.

The leather is not very shiny, it's "normal".

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Anyone here who has the tomtoc 360 protrctive sleeve for mbp 2018 15? Seems to have good reviews but want to get any firsthand experience.

I've just picked one up for my 2018 MacBook Pro (13inch), link below. Once the laptop is in the bag there is a big lip on both sides of the zip opening and it is impossible for the zip to come into contact with the laptop. Nice soft inner to protect the laptop and the pockets are enough to store charger or, a couple of Anker 20100 power banks plus other bits and bobs. Feels good quality and only £25 from Amazon at the moment.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077D3ZL7P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Has Anyone tried the Woolnut sleeve for a MacBook Pro? Everyone seems to say that it is an amazing sleeve so I just wanted to see if anyone else out there has tried it or has one.

PVDHell

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2018
PVD
Has Anyone tried the Woolnut sleeve for a MacBook Pro? Everyone seems to say that it is an amazing sleeve so I just wanted to see if anyone else out there has tried it or has one.

Look 5 posts up, I have one, I love it to death

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Look 5 posts up, I have one, I love it to death

Well look at that lol. I just figured this thread was years deep that I wasn't sure if anyone even heard of it but wow nice. I think I'm going to buy one. How long have you had yours and what is your recommendation Black or Brown? I personally was thinking Brown but the black does look nice.

Last edited:

jeremydc

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2013
I really wanted to get the woolnut but the Uppercase slimsleeve is a better deal imo
[doublepost=1552528278][/doublepost]
I've just picked one up for my 2018 MacBook Pro (13inch), link below. Once the laptop is in the bag there is a big lip on both sides of the zip opening and it is impossible for the zip to come into contact with the laptop. Nice soft inner to protect the laptop and the pockets are enough to store charger or, a couple of Anker 20100 power banks plus other bits and bobs. Feels good quality and only £25 from Amazon at the moment.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077D3ZL7P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I ordered this as well

PVDHell

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2018
PVD
Well look at that lol. I just figured this thread was years deep that I wasn't sure if anyone even heard of it but wow nice. I think I'm going to buy one. How long have you had yours and what is your recommendation Black or Brown? I personally was thinking Brown but the black does look nice.

I’ve had mine for a couple of weeks. I like black, but most of my stuff is black and/or gray. The cognac color looked nice too, and people seem to like it.

I have the opposite take as the Picasso labs guy above, I prefer the soft supple feel of the woolnut leather. And I’m also not worried about durability at all.

So far I’m extremely pleased with the product, and would 100% buy again.

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
I’ve had mine for a couple of weeks. I like black, but most of my stuff is black and/or gray. The cognac color looked nice too, and people seem to like it.

I have the opposite take as the Picasso labs guy above, I prefer the soft supple feel of the woolnut leather. And I’m also not worried about durability at all.

So far I’m extremely pleased with the product, and would 100% buy again.

I just ordered the Black one as well and it should be here tomorrow via Amazon. $89 dollars seems very expensive for this so Im taking your word on it and hoping that it is worth the steep price. Everyone else seems to justify the price so Im assuming everyone is correct with this.

PVDHell

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2018
PVD
I just ordered the Black one as well and it should be here tomorrow via Amazon. $89 dollars seems very expensive for this so Im taking your word on it and hoping that it is worth the steep price. Everyone else seems to justify the price so Im assuming everyone is correct with this.

I really think you’ll like it. I very much prefer the way you place the computer in from the end rather than the front. Seems a lot more secure in addition to leaving one side of ports open for charging if needed.

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
I really think you’ll like it. I very much prefer the way you place the computer in from the end rather than the front. Seems a lot more secure in addition to leaving one side of ports open for charging if needed.

For sure that was my thought process as well. Much appreciated for your feedback on it though!

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
I just got the Woolnut in and I could not be happier! Thanks again for the great recommendation!

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Does anybody use the Incase Compact sleeve for MBP? I'm tempted to try one instead of my usual Icon sleeve, but I'm wondering if having a less-snug fit means there's a risk of the MBP getting damaged by the zip? I occasionally have to run with my laptop in a backpack, so am thinking of the "jiggling"!

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.