Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Thank mate. I like the look of it so think I’ll just order it. Shame I don’t get the ouch though!

Any chance you can put up a few picks of yours with shot of the inside and fit with the mbp please?
Definitely a little bit of play in there.

Edit: 16' MBP.

Attachments

• IMG_0062.jpeg
    IMG_0062.jpeg
    425.7 KB · Views: 568
  • IMG_0061.jpeg
    IMG_0061.jpeg
    427.7 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0063.jpeg
    IMG_0063.jpeg
    382.4 KB · Views: 286

iAdamator

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2013
South San Francisco, CA
I recently got my first ever Mac, a MacBook Pro 16 and I got to thinking I should get a sleeve for it. I want something minimal that will fit in the laptop pocket of my timbuk2 messenger bag. One of my finalists is the Tomtoc 360. I really like the price and design, but I have read/heard of some instances of it leaving marks on the aluminum that doesn’t come off. The product has over 14,000 reviews on Amazon so the issues seems pretty like it isn’t very widespread. But does anyone have that case and has it caused you and trouble?

marshallbedsaul

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Utah
Tomtoc's 16" MBP sleeve has served me well so far. Good build quality, well padded, reasonable price.

How are the zipper holding up? That is the only compliant I’ve heard about.

Reactions: arefbe

M-X

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2006
Hi has anyone tried the official 15” leather sleeve from Apple on the 14” M1 pro? I know it will be too big but thinking with the thickness it might work ok and there are some good deals out on them now. Thanks

elmarjazz

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
I don’t carry my MBP M1pro 14" every day, but do move it every week from one house to another. Just putting it loosely in a large bag not well protected along with adapters, cables, and portable SSDs was getting tiresome, and a bit disorganized.

I wanted a hard case that everything could fit in, but also not so big. Enter... The RETOO hard case. I haven’t seen anyone else with this case so I thought it could use a heads-up. (I have nothing to do with the company, paid full price for it, and this is just a review)

As you can see from the photos, the MBP 14” (or a 16”) fits into it with the charger, a few SSDs, cables, an Ethernet adapter, and even my iPad Pro 11’ in between with the padded ‘separator’ (mouse trackpad) that comes with it. It’s made with a semi-hard polycarbonate (airline quality) outer shell with a durable diamond pattern. Inside the lining is a soft bubble texture to give some cushion protection. Some pockets and stretch bands for storage (the newest version adds a few more). A quality two-way zipper, and it fully opens to lay flat. A nice well made padded handle, and shoulder strap too. It looks very nice too.

It’s the perfect case for me, and I thought maybe some others could find it useful.

Attachments

• BD1789E1-907F-4207-9A4D-B1095D54CC8E.jpeg
    BD1789E1-907F-4207-9A4D-B1095D54CC8E.jpeg
    816.3 KB · Views: 327
  • 6B868F02-C5FC-40B5-8FD8-70E255085724.jpeg
    6B868F02-C5FC-40B5-8FD8-70E255085724.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 293
Reactions: Odessa and wildaman

BaddAdvice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2016
I just picked up one of those Fjallraven Kanken Laptop 17s for my 16 and I'm surprised at how much I like it. The 16 fits just fine (with some room to spare) even with the Incase dot case I have on it. There's not much in the way of bells and whistles with the bag in terms of extra pockets - one padded, zippered sleeve/pocket for the laptop; a main, zippered compartment with a document sleeve (that also holds a seat pad!); a front, zippered pouch; and a smaller, zippered pocket on the inside of the main compartment -- more than enough for my needs. I'm really digging the look of the bag too -- sort of retro and old school (like me!). The company's got a pretty cool backstory too. All and all, I'm pleasantly surprised how much I like this thing.

Reactions: Burnincoco

antmit

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
I appreciate that there are 248 pages of this thread, and I’ve read the last 10 or so.

To give a bit of background: I do most of my work at home, but I do have the need to go out 2-3x a week and I normally take my laptop with me. I have a lot of cables (Lightning, USB-C, watch etc) and the power brick, and over time that plus the weight of the plugs etc have made my existing bag quite misshapen and baggy. The existing bag is an Incase - pic attached.

I want a horizontal (ideally but vertical is fine) shoulder bag for my MBP (2021 M1 PM) that protects it nicely, as well as has space for my 12.9 iPad Pro (with Magic Keyboard), but crucially keeps the cables and plugs in a neat order without it becoming a free-for-all at the bottom of that compartment. Does anyone have any suggestions? I’m thinking something like the Tomtoc 360 Sleeve as it has the separate, presumably reinforced compartments for cables and bricks, but then it doesn’t seem to have a space for the iPad.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    797.6 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

GrandCiel

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
The size specifications are the same for the 16-inch M1 Max MacBook Pro and 2023 16-inch M2 Max MacBook Pro. Are all the ports, fan locations and other areas requiring clearance the same as well? Should a 2021 16-inch M1 Max MacBook Pro protective case fit a 2023 16-inch M2 Max MacBook Pro?

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2018
The Incase flight nylon sleeve, available from Apple, is great.

Bought one for my Air, and liked it so much I ordered another with my Pro.

Got the blue one for my Air & black one for my Pro.

Didn't like the blue one at first (no black in stock) but now I really like it.

Reactions: rmadsen3

GrandCiel

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
The Incase flight nylon sleeve, available from Apple, is great.

Bought one for my Air, and liked it so much I ordered another with my Pro.

Got the blue one for my Air & black one for my Pro.

Didn't like the blue one at first (no black in stock) but now I really like it.
Thanks. My main question was , are the ports, fans, speakers and other cutouts the same on the 16" M1 and M2 MBP's. I expect they are. I used a protective hard case for my 15.4" mid-2017 MBP and it has worked well. I'm debating if I want or need a case now that I'm not doing as much off-site editing.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2018
Thanks. My main question was , are the ports, fans, speakers and other cutouts the same on the 16" M1 and M2 MBP's. I expect they are. I used a protective hard case for my 15.4" mid-2017 MBP and it has worked well. I'm debating if I want or need a case now that I'm not doing as much off-site editing.
I think the ports & such are the same.

However, with a sleeve it doesn’t really matter.

I put cases on my phones/tablets, but not my laptops.

Hope this helps.

GrandCiel

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
I think the ports & such are the same.

However, with a sleeve it doesn’t really matter.

I put cases on my phones/tablets, but not my laptops.

Hope this helps.
Thanks but my question has nothing to do with sleeves? I have one and there is plenty of information on them and obviously ports and cutouts don't matter.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2018
IMG_2750.jpeg

The Incase Flight Nylon sleeves, for 13" & 16" MacBooks.

I almost never bought the first one, because black was out of stock and I didn't think I'd like the blue. However, I now like the blue one, much more.

Not only is it a nice shade of blue, but the contrast with the zips (which I initially didn't think I'd like) just gives it a bit more oomph. Also, the black one shows up all little particles of dust, whereas the blue one doesn't.

Great sleeves, and I recommend the blue one, if you're going for it.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
What would be a good brand to look at for the 14” MBP? Looking for one with at least a handle, but a shoulder strap would be nice. I don’t need a huge bag, just a laptop sleeve.

GrandCiel

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
What would be a good brand to look at for the 14” MBP? Looking for one with at least a handle, but a shoulder strap would be nice. I don’t need a huge bag, just a laptop sleeve.

I ordered a tomtoc sleeve without handle or shoulder strap for my 16" but considered the model with handle and optional, but included, strap. I have a couple more robust Tumi briefcase style laptop bags if I need to carry more but still might get the 16" version of this. Seems the tomtoc page and Amazon have different model names for the same sleeves?

Here are some of tomtoc's 14" options.

Reactions: arefbe

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
I ordered a tomtoc sleeve without handle or shoulder strap for my 16" but considered the model with handle and optional, but included, strap. I have a couple more robust Tumi briefcase style laptop bags if I need to carry more but still might get the 16" version of this. Seems the tomtoc page and Amazon have different model names for the same sleeves?

Here are some of tomtoc's 14" options.

I came across them in my search! Definitely leaning toward that green handbag style they have. It helps that I am a woman haha

TheRdungeon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2011
Anyone know if its possible to buy just a hard case for the top/screen? Just want something to click on when I'm going in a plane in order to protect the screen from damage, not worried about the base bit

Reactions: Burnincoco

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Anyone know if its possible to buy just a hard case for the top/screen? Just want something to click on when I'm going in a plane in order to protect the screen from damage, not worried about the base bit

I'm not sure on that, but the thing you also have to be concerned with is if the case you get just to protect the screen damages the keyboard. There have been reports of that as well as the opposite (keyboard protectors damaging the screen) in the past, so you may have to take that also into consideration.

BL.

TheRdungeon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2011
I'm not sure on that, but the thing you also have to be concerned with is if the case you get just to protect the screen damages the keyboard. There have been reports of that as well as the opposite (keyboard protectors damaging the screen) in the past, so you may have to take that also into consideration.

BL.
Oh yeah for sure I agree, not a chance I'm putting one of those things on the keyboard, just meant for outside just as another layer of protection

SpartaMAC

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2021
NJ
Try Waterfield bags. They are expensive but built like a tank and hand made in SF. sfbags.com

I have a few of their bags.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.