Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
Try Waterfield bags. They are expensive but built like a tank and hand made in SF. sfbags.com

I have a few of their bags.

Big fan of their Outback Solo. Good protection for a sleeve, light weight, relatively inexpensive, and holds a surprising amount of extra stuff. Only knock is the lack of a handle which would be nice given your carry weight could top 10 pounds of so.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Try Waterfield bags. They are expensive but built like a tank and hand made in SF. sfbags.com

I have a few of their bags.
Waterfield makes great bags. I have used the Racer-X bag since 2008-ish? It predates the unibody MBP and while I bought other bags. none have been able to replace the quality, utility and just great nature of this bag. Hell, I'm using it today as I travel.

(not my picture but it shows the style/type)
1675960687643.png

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I've been using Booq Mamba and Taipan Spacesuit for as long as I can remember, and discovered today that they're gone. Anything similar on the market?
Tomtoc defender looks cool but extremely bulky and the 16" is already bulky on its own

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
I've been using Booq Mamba and Taipan Spacesuit for as long as I can remember, and discovered today that they're gone. Anything similar on the market?
Tomtoc defender looks cool but extremely bulky and the 16" is already bulky on its own

Would be curious to hear if the Booq Superslim 15" works for the 16". Obviously would be a bit snug, but I prefer that to having the laptop move around a bit.

I've experienced 2 instances where technically undersized cases worked just fine - used a Waterfield Outback Solo 15" w/ a 16" intel MBP for years, and I have an Incase Slim Sleeve Deluxe 13" for my 14" that I've also used for the past 1.5 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ploki

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Would be curious to hear if the Booq Superslim 15" works for the 16". Obviously would be a bit snug, but I prefer that to having the laptop move around a bit.

I've experienced 2 instances where technically undersized cases worked just fine - used a Waterfield Outback Solo 15" w/ a 16" intel MBP for years, and I have an Incase Slim Sleeve Deluxe 13" for my 14" that I've also used for the past 1.5 years.
i have an old booq mamba 15" for retina. gotta try if it works.

i bought Tomtoc in the meantime

it's fat as f. It's like FAT. insanely fat.
pretty snug but SO FAT.

mathematiques

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2014
Have just purchased an Apple (branded) MacBook Pro Brown Leather Sleeve for 16 inch MBP. I'm sure it's authentic as it came in the Apple branded packaging however it's described as: "high-quality French leather with a soft microfibre lining"
– what surprised me is the microfibre lining is only found on the inside back face of the lining - the inside front face in lined in the same leather found on the outside, this seems strange as you'd expect the microfibre to line both the front and back of the interior. Anyone else own one of these sleeves either in 16" or other size that can comment; I have nothing to compare it to.

Have I received an incorrectly manufactured product? Apple are no longer selling the 16" leather sleeve on their website but there are plenty of them on eBay NIB through different sellers, maybe this is the reason why.

• Wow
Reactions: decypher44

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Have just purchased an Apple (branded) MacBook Pro Brown Leather Sleeve for 16 inch MBP. I'm sure it's authentic as it came in the Apple branded packaging however it's described as: "high-quality French leather with a soft microfibre lining"
– what surprised me is the microfibre lining is only found on the inside back face of the lining - the inside front face in lined in the same leather found on the outside, this seems strange as you'd expect the microfibre to line both the front and back of the interior. Anyone else own one of these sleeves either in 16" or other size that can comment; I have nothing to compare it to.

Have I received an incorrectly manufactured product? Apple are no longer selling the 16" leather sleeve on their website but there are plenty of them on eBay NIB through different sellers, maybe this is the reason why.

Microfiber lining is a nice idea to remove finger oils from the surface though you'd probably want to be able to take it out for cleaning.

Not having the lining on one side might be due to the rubber feet which could eventually tear the lining. My backpack has a slippery compartment so that the laptop slides easily in and out.

mathematiques

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2014
Microfiber lining is a nice idea to remove finger oils from the surface though you'd probably want to be able to take it out for cleaning.

Not having the lining on one side might be due to the rubber feet which could eventually tear the lining. My backpack has a slippery compartment so that the laptop slides easily in and out.
Actually, that's not what the micro-fibre lining is for – it's to reduce the chances of scratching the MBP's case. You can not remove the micro-fibre lining.

This sleeve has 4 x round embossings in the leather to accommodate the feet. I've since found out elsewhere that the sleeve should have the lining on both interior faces so this appears to be a production mistake – it's a moot point though as it's become apparent that the sleeve is designed for pre-M1 (2019) MBP 16" and not the current M1/M2 (2021) MBP 16" model – they have different sized feet with the latter having larger feet that are not accommodated by this sleeve. It appears Apple have not produced a leather sleeve specifically for the M1/M2 16" MBPs.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Actually, that's not what the micro-fibre lining is for – it's to reduce the chances of scratching the MBP's case. You can not remove the micro-fibre lining.

This sleeve has 4 x round embossings in the leather to accommodate the feet. I've since found out elsewhere that the sleeve should have the lining on both interior faces so this appears to be a production mistake – it's a moot point though as it's become apparent that the sleeve is designed for pre-M1 (2019) MBP 16" and not the current M1/M2 (2021) MBP 16" model – they have different sized feet with the latter having larger feet that are not accommodated by this sleeve. It appears Apple have not produced a leather sleeve specifically for the M1/M2 16" MBPs.

Sounds like it should go back then.

My backpack was custom for a 2008 MacBook Pro 17 and it will hold just about any laptop since around 2000. It can even hold two of them. I used to regularly carry 2014 and 2015 MacBook Pro 15s.

Haminski

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2022
Is there a case that fits a 16” M2 MacBook Pro that has the same or similar features to the Incase ICON sleeve?

I’m talking:
  • Magnetic closure
  • Solid bumper around the edges
  • Fabric material
  • Minimalist design
  • A perfect fit
The Bellroy laptop sleeve is almost exactly what I’m looking for, however from reading reviews, the fit is apparently too snug and is hard to close.

Haminski

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2022
Is there a case that fits a 16” M2 MacBook Pro that has the same or similar features to the Incase ICON sleeve?

I’m talking:
  • Magnetic closure
  • Solid bumper around the edges
  • Fabric material
  • Minimalist design
  • A perfect fit
The Bellroy laptop sleeve is almost exactly what I’m looking for, however from reading reviews, the fit is apparently too snug and is hard to close.

Update: I went with the Stow Slim sleeve by Native Union. I had seen some reviews saying it didn’t fit, however they must have used the wrong sized case because it fits like a glove!

https://www.nativeunion.com/products/stow-slim-for-macbook-16-2021

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Any 16" MBP sleeves available with TWO zips?

(Seemingly most of these things are now stupidly coming with just one zip, meaning you can't just unzip either corner to access a port for charging.)

1madman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Richmond, BC, Canada
I'm trying to locate a friction fit leather sleeve for the 14" M1 similar to what Apple used to produce for the 12", 13" and 15". Absolutely no zippers, buckles, padding, flaps, or additional pockets permitted. Has anyone seen anything?

I have a jealous friend with a new 14" who is envious of my pair and we're not having any luck locating an equivalent.

The Apple Sleeve for my 12" Macbook has gone everywhere with me 5 days a week for almost 5 years and has held up great. Compared next to my barely touched 15" it's darkened a bit at the edges and collected a couple small water stains - but still friction fits great and has no signs of falling apart..

DSC00887.jpg

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I'm trying to locate a friction fit leather sleeve for the 14" M1 similar to what Apple used to produce for the 12", 13" and 15". Absolutely no zippers, buckles, padding, flaps, or additional pockets permitted. Has anyone seen anything?

I have a jealous friend with a new 14" who is envious of my pair and we're not having any luck locating an equivalent.

The Apple Sleeve for my 12" Macbook has gone everywhere with me 5 days a week for almost 5 years and has held up great. Compared next to my barely touched 15" it's darkened a bit at the edges and collected a couple small water stains - but still friction fits great and has no signs of falling apart..

View attachment 2235650
Try here. I have one for my 14" MBP. Great quality;

MacMandy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
Try here. I have one for my 14" MBP. Great quality;

Attachments

• IMG_0896.jpeg
    IMG_0896.jpeg
    307.4 KB · Views: 202

reserves

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Does anyone know where I can find a sleeve like this for the M2 MacBook Pro 14" ?

I loved this sleeve for the simplicity, I'd rather not have zips etc. this didn't have zips but still it felt like the laptop was protected.

IMG_2392.jpeg

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
I just got this one for my 14" Pro. I like it as it has a handle. My old Nixon sleeve that had a strap finally bit the dust and it's hard to find sleeves with straps to help when you are holding on to them (hand straps, not shoulder straps).

I really like this sleeve as it has a pouch for dongles etc.

calbear92

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2014
Still rocking my Moshi iVisor matte screen protector, iGlaze Hard case and Ghost keyboard cover for my 16" M1 Max Macbook Pro. All on Amazon Prime. Duration, high quality, well-fiting, and long warranty (registered items get 10 year- used to be Lifetime).

Quackington

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
Does anyone know where I can find a sleeve like this for the M2 MacBook Pro 14" ?

I loved this sleeve for the simplicity, I'd rather not have zips etc. this didn't have zips but still it felt like the laptop was protected.

View attachment 2237592
I have one from Bellroy, it’s pretty good. Had it for about 3 years now:

Reactions: reserves

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Waterfield has a handful of sleeves, bags, etc for MacBook/pros/etc. I have I think two of their bags, one of which is my primary travel bag which came with (or add-on) a sleeve with a few internal pockets, and another is more of my daily to/from office bag, but they also have some leather sleeves, e.g.

I'm pretty happy with their bags I have overall... and amusingly now am adding an M1 Max 14" MBP to the mix vs my 16" near-maxed Intel MBP so am back on the prowl for a sleeve myself..

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2012
Ordered the Naked series “Clear Matte” skin from Slickwraps, overall I’m pretty happy with it, I wanted something to look like nothing is there and only if you look up and close you will see the film. Install was pretty easy, just take your time to align the Apple cut off and go to each corner. I do wish it cover up a little more on the edges but not a deal breaker. The feel on the clear matte film is more gloss than matte, it has an Anti-fingerprint with oleophobic coating (oil repellent) so it’s a bit slicker than the natural aluminum. I think this will be a great option for those with the Midnight color and not have to deal with the fingerprints.

Attachments

• IMG_5545.jpeg
    IMG_5545.jpeg
    304.5 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_5541.jpeg
    IMG_5541.jpeg
    315.5 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_5543.jpeg
    IMG_5543.jpeg
    336.5 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_5542.jpeg
    IMG_5542.jpeg
    404.7 KB · Views: 149
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.