Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Since I've been lookin into buying a new laptop soon, insuring my purchase has become more of a concern. I've never bought exteneded warranties or insurance for my many dektops, but laptops are more susceptable to theft, and damage (or so I've read), so I decided to start a thread about it since I'm sure a lot of others are thinking about the same thing (especially since the awesome release of the MacBook :D ). So these are the ones I've been lookin' at.

The obvious warranty for us Apple people is AppleCare. But is it really worth it?

AppleCare
2+ Years
MacBook/iBook - $249
MacBook Pro/PowerBook - $349

AppleCare Protection Plan extends your computer’s 90 days of complimentary support and one-year warranty to up to three years of world-class support — and provides you with long-term peace of mind. mind.

AppleCare Support

It's basicaly what it says it is, an extended warranty. I couldn't find any official documentation about what it actually covers on the Apple's website so if anyones find any please post.

CompUSA was another that i've read about

CompUSA Technology Assurance Program (TAP)
2 - 3 years
$159.99 - $349.99

For the cheapest plan you get:

-Component Replacement Guarantee
-Parts and Labor Protection
-Power Surge Protection - Up to $1000
-24/7 Technical Support
-Transferable to New Owner
-Carry-In Repair Service

CompUSA TAP

And what I'm most impressed by is Safeware

Safeware

Designed to cover laptops, desktops, tablets, PDAs, peripherals, and other portable devices against accidental physical loss, which can easily render a system inoperable. Also covers software included with the purchase of your system. Equipment is covered against the perils of Accidental Damage, Theft, Vandalism, Power Surge, and Natural Disasters at any location within the United States, Canada, and while in transit.

You can get an estimate on how much it costs here

SafeWare Quote

Mine came out to be $45/yr for a $1400 investment.

---------

I hope this helps out people, and hopefully I'll get some more feedback about these policies and others. What do you guys suggest? I was really set on AppleCare, but after reading through the forums, it seems like there's better options out there. I want to hear some experiences with different policies. :) Here's a good thread that was previously made.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
celebrian23 said:
Safeware seems really interesting- it came to $120 for $2000 insurance in the state of Ohio. I'd like to know if anyone's used it.

I've seen a few people talk about it in this forum, so hopefully they'll see this thread and share their thoughts. :D

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
AppleCare is always worth it.. ESPECIALLY on a laptop. Particuarly when you face the possibility of a mobo or LCD replacement after your 1 year warranty expires. The bill will easily be nearly as much (if not more) than a new laptop.

Let's jsut say if you don't buy it, and you need it, you'll REALLY wish you had bought it.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Just be wary of CompUSA, some of them are horror stories in wait.

Check your credit cards, some of them may offer some of what you want for free.

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
Safeware intrigues me because as I'll be starting college in the fall I'm more concerned about theft and accidental damage than anything else.

captainbeefheat

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2006
UK
I'm not sure if it is worth it or not. As long as you exercise common sense with the thing it's unlikely you will need it. But then if something does happen you would probably wish you had it....

Applecare probably a good idea, I have never bought it but I have a feeling my cheapness will come back to haunt me one of these days...Then again if it doesn't think of all the money I saved! It's a gamble I guess!

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
captainbeefheat said:
I'm not sure if it is worth it or not. As long as you exercise common sense with the thing it's unlikely you will need it. But then if something does happen you would probably wish you had it....

Applecare probably a good idea, I have never bought it but I have a feeling my cheapness will come back to haunt me one of these days...Then again if it doesn't think of all the money I saved! It's a gamble I guess!

Do you have a laptop? Common sense doesn't include other people's negligence.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
yellow said:
AppleCare is always worth it.. ESPECIALLY on a laptop. Particuarly when you face the possibility of a mobo or LCD replacement after your 1 year warranty expires. The bill will easily be nearly as much (if not more) than a new laptop.

Let's jsut say if you don't buy it, and you need it, you'll REALLY wish you had bought it.

Always?? ALWAYS??? hmmmm...it's certainly "always" good for Apple if you buy it, but the majority of Mac owners are never going to need it. Is the likelihood of having to replace a mobo or LCD really high enough to justify increasing the cost of a Macbook or a Mini by 20% to 25% ??

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
After my experiences with a 3rd party warranty company (it was included with the price of my iBook...should have bought AppleCare too anyway, but oh well)...I will never ever buy anything other than 1st party coverage...

The company that "covered" my iBook still owes me $200...and it looks like they won't ever pay (the coverage ended in Feb, but they claim they are still going to pay...even though it has taken them over 10 months so far and still no cheques).

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
mmmcheese said:
After my experiences with a 3rd party warranty company (it was included with the price of my iBook...should have bought AppleCare too anyway, but oh well)...I will never ever buy anything other than 1st party coverage...
Keep trying to say something but ShortCircuit, Worst Buy, and CrapUSA all foist of reasonable sounding 3rd party coverage -- until you try to use it.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Macky-Mac said:
Always?? ALWAYS??? hmmmm...it's certainly "always" good for Apple if you buy it, but the majority of Mac owners are never going to need it. Is the likelihood of having to replace a mobo or LCD really high enough to justify increasing the cost of a Macbook or a Mini by 20% to 25% ??

I don't know where you live, but here it's ~10% the cost.. and yes, it's ALWAYS worth it. It's a gamble. I'd rather spend $250 and never need it, than be cheap and run the risk of having to spend $800 or $900 after a year because I was too damn cheap.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
yellow said:
I don't know where you live, but here it's ~10% the cost.. and yes, it's ALWAYS worth it. It's a gamble. I'd rather spend $250 and never need it, than be cheap and run the risk of having to spend $800 or $900 after a year because I was too damn cheap.

only 10% ?? that's cheap!! You're lucky. Where do you live that you get Applecare so cheap???

At the Apple USA online store, the price for Applecare for the Macbook is $249. For the base configuration, that's an additional 22% you pay on top of the computer's price......and on a $599 Mini you'll have to pay $149 which is over 24% more.

I think buying Applecare or not is about being a smart consumer. Like insurance, buying an extended warranty is about weighing the risks against the cost of the coverage. If the potential for a $800 or $900 repair is a major threat to your financial well being, and if you think the likelihood of such repairs is high, then buy Applecare.

Yellow, how much have you spent on Applecare over the years, and how many of those $800 to $900 repairs have you had to have done to your Macs??

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I guess the difference is I don't shoot for the baseline product. I end up BTOing a MBP (for example) into the $2500 range, and then the AppleCare is 10% of that.

Macky-Mac said:
Yellow, how much have you spent on Applecare over the years, and how many of those $800 to $900 repairs have you had to have done to your Macs??

Personally? I've spent ~$450 in the last 5 years. How much have I saved? I have no idea.. but I've had to take both the desktop and the laptop in several times for several hardware issues. Not one of which cost me anything more then the gas to take it to the shop.

Vocationally? Probably we've spent more on AppleCare then we've used, but in my business there's no question that you spend on the warranty. Downtime goes against business continuity. I have had several problem Macs over there years (mostly PBs, but 2 G4 iMacs), as I remember, I've had double digit logic board replacements (~$700? a piece), 4 LCD replacements (~$800? a piece), and countless hard drive/video card/etc stuff replaced. All that adds up.

Apparently you're willing to risk it. I'm not. My luck isn't that good. ;)

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
yellow said:
AppleCare is always worth it..

3 laptops, one desktop, 8 years in my teenage life I never got applecare. However that was when apple stuff was good. Now I would buy the applecare and sometimes the stores give discounts if you buy applecare. Last time I was offered $50 off a base station if I got the applecare.

SJK123

macrumors member
May 4, 2006
Macky-Mac said:
only 10% ?? that's cheap!! You're lucky. Where do you live that you get Applecare so cheap???

At the Apple USA online store, the price for Applecare for the Macbook is $249. For the base configuration, that's an additional 22% you pay on top of the computer's price......and on a $599 Mini you'll have to pay $149 which is over 24% more.

I think buying Applecare or not is about being a smart consumer. Like insurance, buying an extended warranty is about weighing the risks against the cost of the coverage. If the potential for a $800 or $900 repair is a major threat to your financial well being, and if you think the likelihood of such repairs is high, then buy Applecare.

I disagree. I just purchased a refurb iMac from Apple with Applecare (it should arrive tomorrow). For me it is more about piece of mind. For the same price as a new machine - I now don’t have to worry about tech support or hardware failure for 3 years. For me that was worth $50 per year.

lezer23

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2005
CompUSA

Sun Baked said:
Just be wary of CompUSA, some of them are horror stories in wait.

Agreed. Compusa has got be the worst warranty vector you could use. I have a TAP for my Toshiba Satellite Pro, and they have given us the worst support possible. If you want specifics, PM me.

i would personally go the Applecare or Safeware routes (I currently just use safeware for my theft protection, and I use Applecare as well.)

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
lezer23 said:
Agreed. Compusa has got be the worst warranty vector you could use. I have a TAP for my Toshiba Satellite Pro, and they have given us the worst support possible. If you want specifics, PM me.

i would personally go the Applecare or Safeware routes (I currently just use safeware for my theft protection, and I use Applecare as well.)

Wow, you have both? Is that really necessary? Doesn't Safeware cover everything ApplCare does?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I just went to the Safeware site, and something bugs me about them... maybe it's the fact that neither the BBBonline insignia nor the verisign insignia actually work. I even looked Safeware up on the actual BBB site, and they have no record of the company. :shrug:

Planner Dude

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
State Farm has article insurance that will insure your laptop, ipod, etc for around $100 per year.

This includes malfunctions:mad: , negligence (oops, I dropped it in the bathtub!:eek: ), and theft.:(

I still need to read the fine print, but it sounds like a pretty good deal since it will cover multiple electronics.:D

coal

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
Portland, OR
Great thread, OP!

To add to the debate about whether the purchase of Applecare is a good choice, there has been some talk of the extended warranty provided by various credit card issuers.

Specifically with American Express, if you purchase a computer and an extended warranty package directly from the manufacturer for the computer, then the American Express Buyer's Assurance plan will take effect following the conclusion of the extended warranty.

Essentially, you're looking at 3 years with Applecare followed by a fourth year of coverage that mirrors the original warranty provided by the card issuer.

That fact made it much easier to purchase Applecare as I didn't feel that I was wasting my card's benefits.

This may be applicable for Visa and Mastercard as well, and I would check with your card issuer to be sure.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
coal said:
Great thread, OP!

To add to the debate about whether the purchase of Applecare is a good choice, there has been some talk of the extended warranty provided by various credit card issuers.

Specifically with American Express, if you purchase a computer and an extended warranty package directly from the manufacturer for the computer, then the American Express Buyer's Assurance plan will take effect following the conclusion of the extended warranty.

Essentially, you're looking at 3 years with Applecare followed by a fourth year of coverage that mirrors the original warranty provided by the card issuer.

That fact made it much easier to purchase Applecare as I didn't feel that I was wasting my card's benefits.

This may be applicable for Visa and Mastercard as well, and I would check with your card issuer to be sure.

that's very good info for people who decide applecare is the right choice for them....Props to COAL for pointing it out

Mpulsive81

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
McKinney, TX
well since this is my first mac product i definitely plan on getting it in the near future. So far it's great, but ya never know what'll happen. Better safe than sorry...

joebells

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
I'm on the fence about safeware I really want theft and accidental damage coverage but I see people reccomend(I have also but always state I've never used them) and talk about them but I've not heard from anyone who actually filed a claim with them.

Does anyone know if a USAA mastercard provides the extended warranty, do they all? How does one find out?

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
joebells said:
I'm on the fence about safeware I really want theft and accidental damage coverage but I see people reccomend(I have also but always state I've never used them) and talk about them but I've not heard from anyone who actually filed a claim with them.

Does anyone know if a USAA mastercard provides the extended warranty, do they all? How does one find out?

Yea I'm waiting for some safewar users to comment, I know I've seen a few on here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.