Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
I have a question. My iBook does not have Apple Care yet. It will be 1 year old in August. Anyhow, I bought it with my Amex card. I just wanted to know, I did not get Apple Care, If I choose not to extend with Apple care and something goes wrong in say 18 months, who would I call to get warranty work done. Would I call Amex or Apple?

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
It really depends..before purchasing any applecare or safeware, i'd call your CC company and ask..
I.E. i have visa, and my benefit is that, i get double the manufactors extended warrenty as long as the manufactors warrenty is not longer than 3 years... So for a apple notebook, you would get 2 years of coverage..

I did not have a CC back when my purchased my notebook, or else i would never consider applecare, because than i'm paying $249 for a whopping extra year of support...

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
devilot said:
Weird. Previously, when I went to the linked Safeware site (from the OP), the BBB verification and other one didn't work. Also, http://www.safeware.com seems to not work for me right now? :confused:
Not for me either -- but Safeware has been in business since -- I dunno, the early 90's anyway.

Caution, however: I don't believe Safeware offers a warranty for breakdowns at all --- I think (website unavailable so can't confirm) that they are more of a specified-perils insurer. That is if the logic board dies, its not covered, but if the machine is dropped or stolen, it is. So Safeware would be additional to AppleCare.

I checked the domain record for safeware.com, and it looks in order.

Administrative Contact :
Greathouse, Rob
robert_greathouse@safeware.com
6500 Busch BLVD suite 233
Columbus, OH 43229
US
Phone: 6147811492
Web Site Title: Laptop Insurance From Safeware
Meta Description: Safeware is the nations largest provider of specialized insurance programs designed to meet the demands of computer, electronics and high-tech equipment owners.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
CanadaRAM said:
I checked the domain record for safeware.com, and it looks in order. <snip>
Ah, there's the RAM we know and love. :D Thanks again for your invaluable detective work and input.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
bodeh6 said:
I have a question. My iBook does not have Apple Care yet. It will be 1 year old in August. Anyhow, I bought it with my Amex card. I just wanted to know, I did not get Apple Care, If I choose not to extend with Apple care and something goes wrong in say 18 months, who would I call to get warranty work done. Would I call Amex or Apple?

It depends on what policy Amex holds for you. I'll have to look into MasterCard if I consider.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
bodeh6 said:
I just wanted to know, I did not get Apple Care, If I choose not to extend with Apple care and something goes wrong in say 18 months, who would I call to get warranty work done. Would I call Amex or Apple?

You wouldn't call Apple.. you no longer have a warranty with them, so you'd have to 1) pay for the tech call, 2) pay for the tech service.

zigmund555

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2006
If you are out of warranty, and if you don't have Applecare, and if you don't have any damage to the laptop Apple will service it at a flat rate. If it looks like you may have damaged the machine through improper use they can refuse to repair it (when it is out of warranty).

I sent my PB in out of warranty with no Applecare and they replaced the logic board and top case assembly for around $300 (it was $249 or $299 for Applecare I think). My PB started to flake out 6 days after my 1-year warranty expired.

Still, I'd reccomend you buy Applecare. It is worth the piece of mind that if something happens Apple will take care of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.