Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rozovici

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2021
Hello,

As the title implies I was shocked last night to find out that a pixel just died on my 7-month-old 14-inch Macbook Pro. After the mini heart attack, I relaxed knowing that I have a 2 years warranty offered by my official Apple reseller from which I bought the laptop; but surprise struck when I took the laptop today to their service to let it for repair.

I was told that there is a very low chance the screen will be replaced because there should be 3 or more dead pixels for it to be eligible for a replacement. Nevertheless, I insisted on leaving the laptop there for an official answer that should come in a max of 5 days.

I tried contacting apple to see if there is any official policy on how many dead pixels the warranty covers but they didn't know (i find this odd, to say the least). Also, in my country, there is no Apple Store I can take it to, only authorized 3rd party apple stores.

My question is: Anybody had similar experiences and can advise me on how I can solve this problem without spending 500$ for a brand new display in case they don't replace it? Is it any other official leverage I have in this situation? I find it so annoying that my 3000$ machine might not be repaired under warranty.

Many many thanks in advance!

• Sad
Reactions: khaihoan2711

Rozovici

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2021
A picture with the dead pixel/s.

Also, from what you can see in this picture is it 1 dead pixel or more?

20220719_190501018_iOS.jpg
20220720_084440000_iOS.png

Attachments

• 20220720_084440000_iOS.png
    20220720_084440000_iOS.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 138

Rozovici

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2021
Doesn’t look like a pixel to me… looks more like a bug got in there…
Really? Didn't think of this possibility. I am pretty sure this is impossible, as there is almost no space between the glass and the pannel itself. Also this is somewhere in the middle of the screen, not on the edge.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Really? Didn't think of this possibility. I am pretty sure this is impossible, as there is almost no space between the glass and the pannel itself. Also this is somewhere in the middle of the screen, not on the edge.
Stuck/dead pixels don’t look like that, at least not as the photo is portrayed (unless it’s just a weirdly shaped cluster…). If you turn the laptop off and shine a light in that area, can you still see the anomaly? That would help rule out a foreign entity.

Rozovici

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2021
Stuck/dead pixels don’t look like that, at least not as the photo is portrayed (unless it’s just a weirdly shaped cluster…). If you turn the laptop off and shine a light in that area, can you still see the anomaly? That would help rule out a foreign entity.
I will test that out. At the moment the laptop is in service and i'm praying they will change the display. I will find out in a few days.

Reactions: WilliamG

khaihoan2711

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2022
I actually have a 2 years warranty coverage issue by the reseller. I really hope the universe is listening to you. I will come back with updates as soon as I hear from the service.

I have the same problem with my 7-month-old "Macbook Pro M1 14" 2022"
How about your Mac? Did Apple repair or replace your screen?

Attachments

• IMG_4643.jpeg
    IMG_4643.jpeg
    838.5 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_0173.jpeg
    IMG_0173.jpeg
    341.1 KB · Views: 171

Rozovici

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2021
Hello,

It was actually a dead pixel and I got the whole display assembly replaced under warranty.

I hope you will get the same.

khaihoan2711

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2022
Hello,

It was actually a dead pixel and I got the whole display assembly replaced under warranty.

I hope you will get the same.
Thank you so much!

I will bring my MacBook to a nearby Apple Service Provider to check and will post the result to this thread to let you know.

Reactions: Rozovici

anonymousbrowsing

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2021

I got a launch day (Oct 26) 16 inch Max, turned it on a few weeks ago and had some dead pixels right in the middle of the screen
Took it to the Apple store on Friday, they had to ship it for a screen replacement and it arrived for repairs Monday, done the same day. Got it back on Wednesday I believe
Was covered by AppleCare, but without it the quote was almost around $800 which was pretty crazy I imagine the 14 would be less though
Made me really consider buying the extended warranty

khaihoan2711

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2022
Thank you so much!

I will bring my MacBook to a nearby Apple Service Provider to check and will post the result to this thread to let you know.
Hello all,

I brought my Mac to the nearby Apple Authorised Service Provider, it took a week to replace my screen. It's longer than I expected but finally, everything is okay now.

sol_music

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2022
Mumbai, India.
I had this exact same issue. I got the entire display assembly replaced for free since mine was under warranty. Took 3 days from the Authorised Service Provider to do the job. I hope this doesnt happen again lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.