Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irideti

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
I've never carried the machine in the backpack nor I've ever left heavy items on top of the lid. The marks on the screen can be wiped off with cloth but I'm afraid one day they will become permanent. Anyone else is experiencing the same problem? I'm planning to take the machine to Apple Store and see what they say.

IMG_8421.jpeg

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I guess my answer won’t help you, but I’m experiencing the same with an iPad Pro with the Smart Keyboard Folio. But I do transport my iPad with the SKF folded, on my bag, every day. I have similar marks on the screen, they go away if I clean the screen, but over time, they are getting more persistent.

If some day I get a new iPad, I will probably put a clear glass over the screen. Or put a thin cloth between the screen and the keyboard.

Reactions: Reggaenald

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The tolerances in the machine are very tight. Apple will say that it's perfectly normal for the keys to leave marks on the screen. To prevent marks, I use a RadTech screen protector on my keyboard. You don't have to, but it does help keep the screen clean. If you wipe the marks, don't use solvent, don't do it often, and don't wipe hard. You risk damaging the anti-glare coating.

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
Looks like your keys have left a ghost imprint onto the screen. Unfortunately, It's a design flaw. The screen doesn't have enough clearance, is in contact with the keyboard when closed, and gets marked. Over time the key marks may became permanent, as sweat, debris, oils, etc on my hands would have degraded the screen coating over time.
As suggested above, this will help but for a $3000+ laptop Apple should of fixed this flaw by now!?

I've never carried the machine in the backpack nor I've ever left heavy items on top of the lid. The marks on the screen can be wiped off with cloth but I'm afraid one day they will become permanent. Anyone else is experiencing the same problem? I'm planning to take the machine to Apple Store and see what they say.

View attachment 2002690

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Looks like your keys have left a ghost imprint onto the screen. Unfortunately, It's a design flaw. The screen doesn't have enough clearance, is in contact with the keyboard when closed, and gets marked. Over time the key marks may became permanent, as sweat, debris, oils, etc on my hands would have degraded the screen coating over time.
As suggested above, this will help but for a $3000+ laptop Apple should of fixed this flaw by now!?
That cloth looks awesome.

i1280

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2012
Shaggymax Laptop Screen Protector. Microfiber that lies over keyboard in between uses.

Reactions: EdwardC

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
It's ridiculous that this problem still persists. I guess these notebooks are still designed by morons.

Hadron

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
Every Macbook I've used in the last 12 years has had this. If anything I'm surprised I don't see it on my 14" yet, but it is only a few weeks old so I expect it will come in due course.

But then my 2010 15" matte display visibly degraded after about 18 months, I had it replaced once and the second did the same. So compared to that a few keyboard smudges are nothing.

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
Every Macbook I've used in the last 12 years has had this. If anything I'm surprised I don't see it on my 14" yet, but it is only a few weeks old so I expect it will come in due course.

But then my 2010 15" matte display visibly degraded after about 18 months, I had it replaced once and the second did the same. So compared to that a few keyboard smudges are nothing.
The MacBook Pro’s new price is too high for simple issue like this to be fixed.

AthenaNoctua

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
The tolerances in the machine are very tight. Apple will say that it's perfectly normal for the keys to leave marks on the screen. To prevent marks, I use a RadTech screen protector on my keyboard. You don't have to, but it does help keep the screen clean. If you wipe the marks, don't use solvent, don't do it often, and don't wipe hard. You risk damaging the anti-glare coating.

Anyone know if there's anything similar in the UK? Once shipping's been added it's a rather dear do. I could do with this for my M1 Max.

irideti

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
I did not have this problem with the two previous MacBook Pro models I owned for years. I'm still wondering if my local Apple Store would do something about it. It seems to me they have to change the keyboard or the display. Maybe both. But I think too-tall keyboard is the prime suspect.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Give it time.
There are a couple of reason why I may not.

The thicker 16" might have a little more space between the lid and top plate.
The plastic hard case I use prevents the rubber screen gasket from compressing to the degree needed to have the keys touch the screen.
The matte finish of the plastic hard case its easier to grip and lets me hold it as securely while using a lighter grip and therefore not compressing the line when it is closed.

Last edited:

Big Jobs

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2021
that's GREASE transferring from your fingers to the keys and then to the screen when MacBook Pro lid is closed >

I have a 14" which i use a silicon skin on the keyboard when in use,
i remove the silicon skin when closing MacBook Pro lid and have not experienced any such grease transference "marks" on my screen>

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
@irideti Based which keys are touching the screen, only the ones which are in the middle towards the hinge, it looks like you are gripping your MBP too firmly, and therefore compressing the part of the lid back at the hinge. I think this tendency is cause by the metal surface being very slick.

Try a different way of removing/putting it in your bag, but if you don't want to change the way you lift and carry your MBP you can add a skin to the lid and bottom plate; this would let you use a lighter grip while still holding it securely.

irideti

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
@irideti Based which keys are touching the screen, only the ones which are in the middle towards the hinge, it looks like you are gripping your MBP too firmly, and therefore compressing the part of the lid back at the hinge. I think this tendency is cause by the metal surface being very slick.

Try a different way of removing/putting it in your bag, but if you don't want to change the way you lift and carry your MBP you can add a skin to the lid and bottom plate; this would let you use a lighter grip while still holding it securely.
My MBP 14 sits on my desk 24/7. It has never been in a bag since new......

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
If the tolerances are so close that the keys touch the screen when closed, I don't think I'd be comfortable sandwiching even a thin cloth between the keys and screen when closed.
And I only have key prints on the screen from the bottom two rows of keys, ie center of screen.

Reactions: JudithMacBookPro

irideti

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
Rice is the worst

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 7.02.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 7.02.45 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,640
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.