Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sumleilmus

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2011
/
Yes, it is a $3k notebook, but that does not make it perfect. In the photo can be seen the metal cake rack and chopsticks affair I made to keep it from burning my legs, complete with wooden positioning blocks. Across the keyboard is the cutdown rectangle with rounded corners I made from a manila folder. Closing the notebook with this leaf centered prevents the oils from your fingers from reaching the display. I've been using MacBooks Pro since they were called Powerbooks, and have always found such arrangements satisfactory. Aesthetes will want to make very much more costly arrangements, but aesthetes have a work area very different from mine indeed.
IMG_4608.jpg

Reactions: DeltaMac

Sumleilmus

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2011
/
Cook the rice and you'll be safe.

The material on the display is easily removed with a low lint cloth and, depending on where you live or how you like to look at things, surgical spirit, rubbing alcohol, or 2-propanol, usually 70-95%, inexpensive, easily obtained from a chemist or pharmacy. I consider it likely that "special notebook computer screen cleaner." a bottle of which contains the liquid I specified, can be purchased at a much higher price.

• Haha
Reactions: BGS

MarineBand5524

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2021
I've never had this issue on any of my laptops from acrylic to 2013 13" mbp, 2015 15" mbp, 2019 16" mbp. Only had my new 2021 since yesterday.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Cook the rice and you'll be safe.

The material on the display is easily removed with a low lint cloth and, depending on where you live or how you like to look at things, surgical spirit, rubbing alcohol, or 2-propanol, usually 70-95%, inexpensive, easily obtained from a chemist or pharmacy. I consider it likely that "special notebook computer screen cleaner." a bottle of which contains the liquid I specified, can be purchased at a much higher price.
rice hardens pretty quick :)

whizkid11

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
The tolerances in the machine are very tight. Apple will say that it's perfectly normal for the keys to leave marks on the screen. To prevent marks, I use a RadTech screen protector on my keyboard. You don't have to, but it does help keep the screen clean. If you wipe the marks, don't use solvent, don't do it often, and don't wipe hard. You risk damaging the anti-glare coating.

The Rad Tech keyboard cloth helps prevent the keys from marking the screen, but the cloth still leaves a mark on the screen. It just prevents it from scratches.

Reactions: chabig

Kafka

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
I suppose a sheet of paper would be the best option, being thinner than any microfiber cloth.

whizkid11

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
I suppose a sheet of paper would be the best option, being thinner than any microfiber cloth.
No. The sheet of paper is abrasive and won’t do anything. It’s only meant for packaging in original box, not for every day handling.

Reactions: VaruLV

arsradu

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2015
Yes, I've got the same issue. And in my case, it looks like the marks are permanent! WTF Apple! I've been using MacBooks for a long time now. NEVER have I ever had this issue.

Attachments

• IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 363
Reactions: JudithMacBookPro

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
So far, I don't have permanent keyboard marks but I do have permanent spots on the screen which don't come off with a microfiber cloth and isopropyl alcohol--I guess from the anti reflective coating degrading? Anyway, it's completely invisible under normal operating conditions. If I start seeing marks in day to day use I'll take it to the Genius Bar as I feel visible marks impact function and should in theory be covered.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
Guys, according to some of the Apple fanboys here, youre wrong, theres nothing wrong with current crop of Macbooks, they are all ROCK SOLID and perfect and your complaints are "FAKE".

Obviously it sucks to have keyboard marks on otherwise great laptop, not sure what will I do about it if I decide to buy myself one of the Macbooks, I know I might put some microfiber cloth between keyboard and display, but that would be ridiculous to do so! I would get tired of doing so and just simply stop doing so.

• Haha
Reactions: Unicycle Santa

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom
Don't leave crumbs of food on your keyboard it's dirty yet alone can scratch break...

Regardless, I've only noticed this issue on my 16" with the outline of the keys on screen but it was due to a full laptop bag potentially pushing down on the lid. Otherwise my keyboard is clean and I don't see any marks on it when carrying the laptop around.

As others have said though, might be worth investing in that microfibre cloth thing to put in between when closing the lid/travelling.

rddt

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2024
I've never carried the machine in the backpack nor I've ever left heavy items on top of the lid. The marks on the screen can be wiped off with cloth but I'm afraid one day they will become permanent. Anyone else is experiencing the same problem? I'm planning to take the machine to Apple Store and see what they say.

View attachment 2002690
I've been seeing this issue on all MacBook Pro's since 2013 and I'm sick of it. But instead of all the other microfiber solutions I see below, I'm thinking the best approach is the cellphone screen protector approach: use a full coverage clear screen protector.

Is there any reason NOT to use this strategy? Most laptop cases even come with free screen protectors.

Seems much easier to protect the screen this way vs trying to meticulously keep the keyboard clean. And once enough damage has accrued, reapply a new one. Thoughts?

One other idea, I saw that some cases like the Supcase Unicorn Beetle case adds a tiny bit of breathing room between the keys and screen. The two seem like a perfect combo IMHO.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
Hows everyone getting on 2 years later?

I’ve just mine in feb and it’s starting to show the marks and i rarely close mine as it lives at home.

Im quite gutted as ive really looked after it.

It’s made me realise the plus point for iPad is they are more robust

Reactions: arsradu

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
I've never carried the machine in the backpack nor I've ever left heavy items on top of the lid. The marks on the screen can be wiped off with cloth but I'm afraid one day they will become permanent. Anyone else is experiencing the same problem? I'm planning to take the machine to Apple Store and see what they say.

View attachment 2002690
Haha saw exactly this on my new MBA. You can put some cloth in between. What did they say at Apple Store? 😆

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Hows everyone getting on 2 years later?

I’ve just mine in feb and it’s starting to show the marks and i rarely close mine as it lives at home.

Im quite gutted as ive really looked after it.

It’s made me realise the plus point for iPad is they are more robust
Ipads are much much easier to handle and to clean. Wiping the glass -> finished 😁

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Every single MacBook I have ever owned has done this.

It's annoying, and I wish apple would fix it.

I don't clean mine very often and leave it for as long as I can before it gets too grubby to stand, luckily my 14" only has light marks, and I'm careful to carry it in a sleeve inside my bag to help reduce things pressing directly on the machine.

So far my anti-reflective coating is fine on my m1 pro, purchased month of release.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
Every single MacBook I have ever owned has done this.

It's annoying, and I wish apple would fix it.

I don't clean mine very often and leave it for as long as I can before it gets too grubby to stand, luckily my 14" only has light marks, and I'm careful to carry it in a sleeve inside my bag to help reduce things pressing directly on the machine.

So far my anti-reflective coating is fine on my m1 pro, purchased month of release.
I've only closed the lid twice on my mine in 2 months and use microfibre to remove the dust. I can't really see the marks unless I put the flashlight on from my phone which I did by accident as I was too lazy to put the light on when entering card details at night..

I suppose it is what it is and it's tough to keep something like that immaculate.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Ipads are much much easier to handle and to clean. Wiping the glass -> finished 😁
To be fair, and even if some won’t believe me (I have no proof because I sold it), on my first iPad Pro, the 2018 one, I had the exact same problem, because I used the Smart Keyboard Folio. The keys of that keyboard, after rubbing on the screen glass, ended up leaving squared marks on the screen (on the coating, I guess).

I have to say that this happened after several years of usage, but still, it’s been one of the reasons why for my M2 iPad Pro, instead of getting the Smart Keyboard Folio, I just purchased a regular case and use an external keyboard instead.

EDIT: Grammar

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Torty

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I've only closed the lid twice on my mine in 2 months and use microfibre to remove the dust. I can't really see the marks unless I put the flashlight on from my phone which I did by accident as I was too lazy to put the light on when entering card details at night..

I suppose it is what it is and it's tough to keep something like that immaculate.

Mine goes into a backpack twice every weekday to travel to and from work. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.