Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I'm replacing a 16" MBP and 27" iMac with this thing. Most of the time, this thing is going to be docked to multiple displays. When I do use it as a laptop, I want it to be as portable as possible for travel and for general comfort. Before now, it wasn't possible to have something that is essentially as powerful as a Mac Pro in a 14" laptop, so it works great as a desktop most of the time, and gives me great battery life, portability, and power on the go.
That was my thinking also. My 14" is docked the vast majority of the time. I like the better portability of the 14" and I don't mind the smaller screen. Now it would be totally different story if I was not docked most of the time.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Since black friday sales just kicked in today at best buy and I live in a no tax state, I cant resist the 16 at this point...its relly like getting $460 off..

milkaCH

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2023
Since black friday sales just kicked in today at best buy and I live in a no tax state, I cant resist the 16 at this point...its relly like getting $460 off..
Same, just ordered mine with 15% discount online in my country (16 max 14/30). About 620$ off

milkaCH

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2023
Congrats! where did you get yours through?
Fnac (large distribution brand in Europe) there is currently a private sale for members. Yes space black.
Prices are a little bit higher here (Switzerland).
I was torn between sizes and colors but that suddenly removed all my doubts :)

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Fnac (large distribution brand in Europe) there is currently a private sale for members. Yes space black.
Prices are a little bit higher here (Switzerland).
I was torn between sizes and colors but that suddenly removed all my doubts :)
haha nice, I like the size most folks in coffee shops here still have 15 and 16 pros anyway.. i ended up getting silver tho :) (work computer is black)...

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Personally I have chosen the 16" (silver), I love the screen size and the cooling is better. But it was the M2 Pro at discount.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
I've had both and while I absolutely love the screen real estate of the 16" it's way more bothersome to carry IMO. Not mainly due to its weight but much more due to its form factor which requires an overall bigger backpack, etc.

So if you plan on using an external monitor I'd go for the 14" and call it a day. If not it's really up to you and if you're willing to carry the massive size of the bigger one with you all-day everyday.
Second this and just sold off my 16" M1 Max and going to a 14" M3 Max. I had an M1 Air before and prefer the smaller footprint and couch-ability.

The 16" was mostly docked on my desk connected to a 43" 4K display. The laptop took up a lot of desk space when opened and was mildly annoying to carry around the house. Also, I find it less comfortable to type on because I feel like I have to stretch my hands more to reach the keys or angle my wrists to avoid the TouchPad when typing. The 16" stays nice and quiet but I miss having a more portable laptop. To each their own.

Last edited:

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
From what I understand (barely), the 16" M3 Pro is unbinned while the
14" model of the same is binned.

I am sure there will be comments like they are both same and you can tell the difference.

Noted.

But I prefer the sound of unbinned so I will be going for a 16" M3Pro with 12/18 processor and 36GB RAM.

Mega ST

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2021
Europe
I would go for the bigger screen estate and the 16. This will come in handy every second you use it. Only in case you permanently need to carry it around I would opt for the smaller, lighter 14.

Reactions: YonTom

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Just got my 16" silver looks better than I thought it would! Big decision not to keep or keep the 14"!
IMG_0004.jpeg

Reactions: AVBeatMan

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
16” is better in many ways, but man is it HEAVIER and LARGE.. I can’t imagine it being my daily driver carrying back and forth to client sites.. We’ll see. coming from 2019 16”, intel of course I know it’s only like ~ 1lb, but feels and seems much more than that. Why do they have to make them so much larger and heavier? Is it just cooling or need to dramatically increase physical battery size?

Last edited:
Reactions: kp98077

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
16” is better in many ways, but man is it HEAVIER and LARGE.. I can’t imagine it being my daily driver carrying back and forth to client sites.. We’ll see. coming from 2019 16”, intel of course I know it’s only like ~ 1lb, but feels and seems much more than that. Why do they have to make them so much larger and heavier? Is it just cooling or need to dramatically increase physical battery size?
Obviously it depends on your work environment/etc, but I thought the big iPhone was far too big to carry around and now I can't imagine using a small phone. Took a while to get used to, had to realize it just won't be as easy to use with one hand ever again, but the bigger screen is very useful same as with the MBP.

Reactions: YonTom and kp98077

mdhaus72

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2018
Yes, the 16” is a bit bigger when you‘re carrying it around. But like anything else, you get used to it. For me, the benefit you get with the extra screen real estate and better cooling make the trade off completely worth it.

Like the poster above said, the same thing happened for me when I got my iPhone Pro Max. It seemed huge at the time….But now, I never think about the size and I could never go back to a smaller phone. I love it.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Yes, the 16” is a bit bigger when you‘re carrying it around. But like anything else, you get used to it. For me, the benefit you get with the extra screen real estate and better cooling make the trade off completely worth it.

Like the poster above said, the same thing happened for me when I got my iPhone Pro Max. It seemed huge at the time….But now, I never think about the size and I could never go back to a smaller phone. I love it.
and something about the black version makes it seem smaller - kinda weird..

mdhaus72

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2018
and something about the black version makes it seem smaller - kinda weird..
Black, and other darker colors, tend to make items look smaller than they actually are. My amateur guess as to why is that the decreased amount of reflected light (which is what we use to “see“ items) makes it harder for our brain to get a good sense of an item‘s size relative to what is around it.

feelyat

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2023
From what I understand (barely), the 16" M3 Pro is unbinned while the
14" model of the same is binned.

I am sure there will be comments like they are both same and you can tell the difference.

Noted.

But I prefer the sound of unbinned so I will be going for a 16" M3Pro with 12/18 processor and 36GB RAM.
The 14" can be ordered in the 12/18/36 configuration. It might not be a common configuration in retail stores, but it certainly can be obtained from Apple that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.