Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YonTom

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2019
Yes, the 16” is a bit bigger when you‘re carrying it around. But like anything else, you get used to it. For me, the benefit you get with the extra screen real estate and better cooling make the trade off completely worth it.

Like the poster above said, the same thing happened for me when I got my iPhone Pro Max. It seemed huge at the time….But now, I never think about the size and I could never go back to a smaller phone. I love it.
Same! I swore I would never have a big phone again when I got the iPhone 12 mini three years ago… I’m typing this from my iPhone 15 Pro Max and I couldn’t be happier.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
I'm kinda in the same boat. I was going to get the 14" one. But as I am getting older my eyes probably would like to gaze upon a larger screen. Just trying to convince myself the extra $$ will be worth it.

One thing that does attract me to the larger machine is that I hear it has better thermals. Like if I play Baldur's Gate 3, maybe performance might be slightly better due to better thermals. Though it's also moving more pixels around since it is a larger screen, so who knows if that will have any effect on performance as well. But I am not a real big gamer. Just occasionally dabble in a game or two like BG3.

I don't necessarily need great portability. It will stay put 90% of the time -- wouldn't really travel much with it unless it's the occasional trip. I've travelled with big chunky Alienware machines before, so I don't think it will be that big of a deal.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
I'm kinda in the same boat. I was going to get the 14" one. But as I am getting older my eyes probably would like to gaze upon a larger screen. Just trying to convince myself the extra $$ will be worth it.

One thing that does attract me to the larger machine is that I hear it has better thermals. Like if I play Baldur's Gate 3, maybe performance might be slightly better due to better thermals. Though it's also moving more pixels around since it is a larger screen, so who knows if that will have any effect on performance as well. But I am not a real big gamer. Just occasionally dabble in a game or two like BG3.

I don't necessarily need great portability. It will stay put 90% of the time -- wouldn't really travel much with it unless it's the occasional trip. I've travelled with big chunky Alienware machines before, so I don't think it will be that big of a deal.

Every test I've seen the 16" seems to be like 10-15 degrees cooler than the 14", or the software shows all green bars on the 16" but yellow or red on the 14" model. If you want the full experience from the chips seems like the 16" is the way to go, 14" you're gonna start making much more of a concession in noise/fans/heat and see throttling much like an Air for that smaller footprint.

Reactions: brgjoe

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
16" has bigger screen and cooling (also has high performance mode).
14" fits in backpacks better and is lighter.

choose what matters to you

As far as performance goes, my 14" M1 Pro is still faster than any other PC based portable machine I've ever used in the real world.

newton4000

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
16" has bigger screen and cooling (also has high performance mode).
14" fits in backpacks better and is lighter.

choose what matters to you

As far as performance goes, my 14" M1 Pro is still faster than any other PC based portable machine I've ever used in the real world.
Don't forget battery - 16" comparable model will always be better.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I guess one thing I am trying to decide between keeping 14 vs 16 is I noticed on the 15, the sides are almost always white/blank as though the laptop is not even utilizing the side margins. Sure you can use the trackpad to enlarge the font (which I don't need to do), but just find this a little odd?

wayne905

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Maple, Ontario, Canada
I guess one thing I am trying to decide between keeping 14 vs 16 is I noticed on the 15, the sides are almost always white/blank as though the laptop is not even utilizing the side margins. Sure you can use the trackpad to enlarge the font (which I don't need to do), but just find this a little odd?
did you decide between the 14 and 16 yet?

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 10.51.55 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 10.51.55 AM.png
    890.8 KB · Views: 149

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
here is the screenshot and as you will see, there are large white boarders, not the case on my 14 for example..
Dave's Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 3.09.01 PM.png

This is from my 16" MacBook Pro M1 with this website in dark mode, so they'd be white in light mode.

Dave's Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 3.11.24 PM.png

The screen has more resolution than the 14" so websites are going to have lots of space on the sides dependent on how the site's formatted. I hope this helps?!?!

Reactions: kp98077

Micka88

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2019
I agree for TVs, not so much for laptops or phones. Looking forward to downsizing my MBP 16 to a 14. To each their own.
For me the same much ... I can see more things on bigger display and more easy than on a small one ... when working, watching etc.

RoadCyclistID

Contributor
Oct 18, 2007
Idaho
I agree for TVs, not so much for laptops or phones. Looking forward to downsizing my MBP 16 to a 14. To each their own.
Agreed 100%. Used to always carry the ProMax, went back to the pro and loving it. Had the 15" Air M2 and now typing on a 14" MBP M3. Now my TVs on the other hand.... 83" of Sony OLED glory!

• Haha
Reactions: Surfsalot

Appletoni

Suspended
Mar 26, 2021
Hi,

I am either getting the M3 Pro 14" or the 16" and am wondering what tradeoffs there are to consider. 1Tb storage, 18gb ram most likely as I am not doing extremely heavy duty work but use to do Telehealth as a therapist, zooms, multitasking a bit in that sense.

thank you,

Peter

p.s. I currently have 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro and it's great but I am open to maybe going smaller...maybe. has battery improved on 14"?
You have already the 16" M1 MAX MacBook Pro. It would make sense to go for the 16" M3 MAX MacBook Pro with 32 GB RAM and probably 2 TB SSD for your work.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Didn't you just flip flop between MacBook Air models? You didn't keep one at al

just checking you are staying in the 14 day window for Mac,iphones etc lol
no wonder we are all paying through the nose, serial returners haha
hmm stang attitude .. not sure where you are from, but..... WE have holiday return policy which is like 8 weeks.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
just checking you are staying in the 14 day window for Mac,iphones etc lol
no wonder we are all paying through the nose, serial returners haha
oh yes, my returns and everyone else on here really influences a multi billion dollar company.. come on dude.. lol..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.