Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple may expand MacBook production to Thailand in the future as the company continues to diversify its supply chain, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

14-16-inch-2021-mbps-back-to-back-feature.jpg

In a series of tweets today, Kuo said the main production location outside of China for Apple's future MacBooks may be Thailand. Kuo noted that Apple's entire range of MacBook Air and MacBook Pro models are currently assembled in Chinese factories.

Kuo said Apple plans to increase shipments of products to the U.S. from non-Chinese factories within the next 3-5 years, but it's unclear if this would include MacBooks assembled in Thailand within that timeframe. Apple's longtime MacBook supplier Quanta Computer has been expanding its operations in Thailand over the last few years.

Apple has expanded its supply chain beyond China over the past several years, with some production now occurring at factories in India and Vietnam. Kuo said this diversification helps Apple to avoid risks like U.S. tariffs on Chinese imports.

Article Link: MacBooks May Become 'Assembled in Thailand' as Apple Diversifies Supply Chain

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Why is this political? :(

(I know why, I’m just asking a rhetorical question. Just because China is mentioned doesn’t mean it automatically has to be political. Man, the current public landscape is ridiculous. Pretty soon just saying “I like well designed and manufactured Apple products” will be political.)

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
I'd love to see them being made in USA.
So would I. So please explain how that could happen except in our dreams. Economic realities are what they are. Labor costs are what they are. How much more would you be willing to pay for that MacBook if it were assembled in the U.S. by union workers making $35/hr with healthcare, 401K, profit sharing, and all the other perks that are now considered entitlements here.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
So would I. So please explain how that could happen except in our dreams. Economic realities are what they are. Labor costs are what they are. How much more would you be willing to pay for that MacBook if it were assembled in the U.S. by union workers making $35/hr with healthcare, 401K, profit sharing, and all the other perks that are now considered entitlements here.
The cost is not labor. The process is highly automated. The cost is regulations.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
It needs to happen. Ever since the Apple Silicon transition the Mac has been better than ever, surpassing the iPad in demand and completely disrupting the PC market. So many people want 14 inch Macbook Pros, but with only having one MBP plant, and said plant being in China, an area of China that was under heavy COVID lockdown at a draconian level...yeah...

Who remembers when Macbook Pros were on backorder for two months last Spring? Man that was bad. Thank god I got my 14 inch Macbook Pro before that happened.

boak

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2021
Good to see assembly being diversified. Hope Apple is planning the same for component production.

Reactions: Brad7

ajfahey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2001
Moorpark, CA
Tariffs aren’t a risk. They are an international trade reality designed to collect revenue and prevent full dependence on single nation corporations. It is economically and socially dangerous for any nation to be fully dependent on another nation for its national survival. Tariffs, used smartly, force diversification of supply as strategic support for national economic security.

TightLines

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2022
I'd love to see them being made in USA.
There are too many traitors in the USA to allow that to happen… If that assembly plant was only producing for that region of the world, it would be different, but its not… Those traitors mostly have their primary work offices in NYC, on a famous street where there is a statue of a Bull… they are so influential that Apple has given some of them part time employment and offices in the same suite that Tim Cook has his office… they had to wait until Steve Jobs passed away before they could get in, but they finally got in and are now leaving their mark…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.