Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
So would I. So please explain how that could happen except in our dreams. Economic realities are what they are. Labor costs are what they are. How much more would you be willing to pay for that MacBook if it were assembled in the U.S. by union workers making $35/hr with healthcare, 401K, profit sharing, and all the other perks that are now considered entitlements here.

Why worry? We are told by the $15-$25 minimum wage folks that labor costs don't really contribute to retail costs so......

On topic though... glad to see a diversification of the supply chain and I still would be very happy to pay extra for products made in the US.

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
Assembled in the USA!

At some point the cost of doing final assembly in the US will be worth it, just to offset the launch day shipping costs. Even if it's a 20% savings the political benefits could be worth it.

At least all those people who were all "it's impossible to make XX outside of China because there aren't enough skilled people required" have been quieted. Let's face it, FoxConn used to hire kids to assemble iPhones. You need skills, but it's not like you need years of experience in micro-lithography to assemble things.

Thanks Trump! Before the Don the thought of leaving the People's Republic was considered insanity. Now it's a trend.

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
Why is this political? :(

(I know why, I’m just asking a rhetorical question. Just because China is mentioned doesn’t mean it automatically has to be political. Man, the current public landscape is ridiculous. Pretty soon just saying “I like well designed and manufactured Apple products” will be political.)
The article mentions diversifying production locations in order to avoid tariffs. That's fairly political.

Also, even if the mere mention of China is worth garnering the political and social flag, that's nobody's fault but China's. It has nothing to do with the "current public landscape". China is brazenly trampling on human rights on a scale the world has seldom seen before. Acting like China is just another country would be irresponsible.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Why is this political? :(

(I know why, I’m just asking a rhetorical question. Just because China is mentioned doesn’t mean it automatically has to be political. Man, the current public landscape is ridiculous. Pretty soon just saying “I like well designed and manufactured Apple products” will be political.)
Because CCP shills throw a fit, so to curb the influx of new account trolls they restrict it to established accounts with this mechanism.

brucewayne

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
None of these alternate assemble sites are located in particularly stable democracies. It wasn’t that long ago that Thailand suffered a military coup.

Also not immune to natural disaster - there was a flood there about 10 years ago that caused a massive shortage on hard drives.

That said, glad Apple is moving away from its dependence on China. I would prefer (and pay more) for built in USA.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
I would guess that means that Foxconn expects to be in Thailand in 3-5 years? ‘Cause it’s not like Apple’s going to be building a factory.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I guess Tim is becoming more worried about getting a call someday from whoever happens to be the US president at the time and being told that because China attacked Taiwan, any product manufactured in China will be subject to a significant tariff or banned totally from being imported into the US. Samsung moved all smartphone production out of China because of this increasing risk in addition to rising labor costs in China.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
None of these alternate assemble sites are located in particularly stable democracies. It wasn’t that long ago that Thailand suffered a military coup.

Manufacturing in USA is hardly profitable for Apple (Unions alone would force Apple to double its costs).

As an alternative I was hoping they would relocate to Central American republics... Guatemala, Honduras, Bitcoin-loving El Salvador, even Costa Rica, which is welcoming of American tourists.

I'd imagine it would be reciprocal... Apple factories would provide thousands of skilled jobs for those impoverished Central American nations, and hugely raise their standards of living. Also, Apple factories in Costa Rica is a very low geopolitical risk, since Costa Rica cannot militarily threaten the USA or Apple.... whereas China is a nuclear threat to the USA, and China has the easy ability to sink US Aircraft Carriers in the Pacific, and China can easily seize (nationalize) Apple factories in the event of a Pacific confrontation.

Lastly: if Apple provided thousands of skilled stable jobs to Central American republics, that means thousands upon thousands of families that will actually have less impetus to immigrate to the US illegally.

It's a win-win-win situation for the USA, Apple, and Central America, if you think about it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.