Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joe_D

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2020
I need to research the value as this original model is definitely a collectors item! Going to enjoy it for a bit though!

Charles Littell

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2020
I am the original owner of a 128k Mac from my first year at Drexel University in 1985. I am trying to restore it back to operating condition. When I powered it up I got the Chime and then the Sad Mac Icon with code 040820 was displayed with a good quality screen picture. So I replaced RAM chips G8 and F10. After that I powered it up and got the Chime and then the Sad Mac Icon with code 020040 was displayed, also with a good quality screen picture. So I replaced RAM chip F11. Now when I power it up I no longer get a chime, the screen comes on with basically a white/black static display, and I get random static sounds out of the speaker. See two links to videos of the current symptoms. Any idea what might have gone wrong with my second RAM chip replacement, or other ideas of what could be wrong now?

I know this is late but take your analog board out and check the colder connections on the board, I would check the connectors especially and I would resolver them anyway. I went thru and desoldered those connections because there is some movement on them the could cause a problem after 30 years. On your ram if you are going to use sockets put all the ram on sockets not just a couple.

Joe_D

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2020
Thanks for the comments! I actually did exactly what you mentioned regarding replacing all the RAM with sockets and that solved the issue. Working great now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.