Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scoot65

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2017
England, United Kingdom
Many thanks for the reply. I'm a complete novice at this sort of thing.... so in the link you gave, the command that the poster gave "sudo plutil ... etc etc" his this what need to be pasted into terminal?

You mention using the El cap. command as adjusted, what do you mean by that?

Sorry if my questions are sound stupid, it's just that I have no experience with this.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hi Scoot

I must apologise, I accidentally linked to a particular post in that thread, not the thread as such. The information is elsewhere in the thread. Really sorry.

What I meant by using the El Cap command is that for Sierra and earlier you will need to add the tail-end of the command, as shown in the El Cap example on Apple's page. There's a tiny footnote about this, in barely legible grey font, just above the heading Use the Bootable Installer. It also took me a while to find this info.

The tail-end part is this, which needs to be adjusted for Sierra:

Code:
 --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app

I believe the Sierra command should look like this:

Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Sierra.app

Remember to replace MyVolume by the name of your USB disk and make sure that the Install macOS Sierra.app is in your Applications folder.

Does that work when you try?

cheers
Philip

Many thanks for the reply. I'm a complete novice at this sort of thing.... so in the link you gave, the command that the poster gave "sudo plutil ... etc etc" his this what need to be pasted into terminal?

You mention using the El cap. command as adjusted, what do you mean by that?

Sorry if my questions are sound stupid, it's just that I have no experience with this.

Reactions: Scoot65

Scoot65

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2017
England, United Kingdom
Thanks for the clarification pullman / Philip. Much appreciated!

I'm pleased you pointed out the small grey font footnote. I completely missed that.

I'll read through the whole thread you linked to.

I've not got a USB thumb drive at the moment. I'll be getting one soon. I was just wanting to get everything sorted ready for it.

At least it gives me time to do some reading on the subject.

I'll probably be back seeking more help.....

Reactions: pullman

Scoot65

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2017
England, United Kingdom
Well, my USB thumb drive arrived today (SanDisk Ultra 16GB USB3)

After doing a bit of research, I found that MacWorld UK did an article on how to create a bootable macOS installer on an external drive, back in October 2019.

One of the createinstallmedia commands they listed was the one for Sierra which I've pasted here:-

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app

So this must be the correct command line to use (not forgetting to change 'MyVolume' for the name of my USB thumb drive).

Hi Scoot

I must apologise, I accidentally linked to a particular post in that thread, not the thread as such. The information is elsewhere in the thread. Really sorry.

What I meant by using the El Cap command is that for Sierra and earlier you will need to add the tail-end of the command, as shown in the El Cap example on Apple's page. There's a tiny footnote about this, in barely legible grey font, just above the heading Use the Bootable Installer. It also took me a while to find this info.

The tail-end part is this, which needs to be adjusted for Sierra:

Code:
 --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app

I believe the Sierra command should look like this:

Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Sierra.app

Remember to replace MyVolume by the name of your USB disk and make sure that the Install macOS Sierra.app is in your Applications folder.

Does that work when you try?

cheers
Philip

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hi Scoot
Great that the USB arrived. Yes that looks right to me. Sierra is macOS. Do post back how it went.
Cheers
Philip

Well, my USB thumb drive arrived today (SanDisk Ultra 16GB USB3)

After doing a bit of research, I found that MacWorld UK did an article on how to create a bootable macOS installer on an external drive, back in October 2019.

One of the createinstallmedia commands they listed was the one for Sierra which I've pasted here:-

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app

So this must be the correct command line to use (not forgetting to change 'MyVolume' for the name of my USB thumb drive).

Scoot65

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2017
England, United Kingdom
I managed to get as far as step 8 of ianfcampbell's #16 post ......but now I've hit a snag. When tried to eject the thumb drive, I got a message that it could not be ejected because one or more items are being used (or a similar phrase).

The MacBook Pro I'm using has two accounts, the admin account which my wife's account and the second account is mine. throughout this process I'm been logged into the admin account.

When I got the warning message mentioned above, I logged out of the admin account and then logged into my own user account because I was going to post on here. For some reason I logged back into the admin account and saw that thumb dive had been ejected.

Does this mean that I could have damaged the software I'd just put on the thumb drive?

Last edited:

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I wouldn't think so. What happens when you insert it in the target machine and boot up?

I managed to get as far as step 8 of ianfcampbell's #16 post ......but now I've hit a snag. When tried to eject the thumb drive, I got a message that it could not be ejected because one or more items are being used (similar a phrase).

The MacBook Pro I'm using has two accounts, the admin account which my wife's account and the second account is mine. throughout this process I'm been logged into the admin account.

When I got the warning message mentioned above, I logged out of the admin account and then logged into my own user account because I was going to post on here. For some reason I logged back into the admin account and saw that thumb dive had been ejected.

Does this mean that I could have damaged the software I'd just put on the thumb drive?

Scoot65

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2017
England, United Kingdom
Success!! I've now got a shiny new, factory fresh macOS Sierra installed on my 2012 MacBook Pro.

Many thanks to ianfcampbell's step by step guide in his #16 post ..which was on the back of Prometeus's informative #4 post, so thanks to Prometeus too.

Also thanks to pullman for his help too ....... thanks guys!!!!

I would never have been able to do it without all of this help....

Last edited:
Reactions: pullman

Scoot65

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2017
England, United Kingdom
I've got a question about my newly made macOS Sierra install USB drive....... will the installer always work or will the Sierra installer software become invalid / have an outdated certificate?

Bee Mash

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2020
To get bootable Sierra Installer you can:
1. Use old one "Install macOS Sierra.app", but!... when you boot from usb-drive, don't click to install macOS. Open Terminal from Utility menu and run this command:

date 1022100019

it will set the system date before the certificate expiration date. Now you can install macOS Sierra.

2. If you want new USB installer for macOS with new certificate you need to do more steps:
2.1. You need the old install (because in new one the execution file of createinstallmedia is not works... I don't know why)
2.2. You need new installer too. You can get it here:https://support.apple.com/HT208052
When you've got all, read next. Make backup of this two files (zip them all and save to another place).

2.3. Use old installer to create USB-installer according to this article: https://support.apple.com/HT201372
2.4. When you finish, delete "Install macOS Sierra.app" from USB drive and from the trash bin at all! It's important! It looks like empty USB, but it is NOT!
2.5. Then use InstallOS.dmg (new installer) to install new "Install macOS Sierra.app" in you Application folder. Just follow instruction. And when you'll done...
2.6. Copy new "Install macOS Sierra.app" to the USB drive you created before (step 2.3)
2.7. You are the KING! )) ... and ready to boot from new Sierra installer with new certificate.

Have fun!

p.s. Old installer is still available in Mac App Store. But only from older versions of macOS. It is not available from Mojave, Catalina... not sure, may be High Sierra too.
And don't forget, you can always install macOS which was shipped with your Mac from the Internet. Read this how: https://support.apple.com/HT201255, https://support.apple.com/HT204904

I am trying to do all this from El Capitan running on an Early 2009 iMac. The terminal code didnt work for me.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apologies for the delayed reply Scoot. I'm really happy that the installation worked well for you.

Afaik the installer should always work. I'm at least hanging on to mine just in case. And if it stops working hopefully there's some clever guy or gal out there to find a workaround :D

I've got a question about my newly made macOS Sierra install USB drive....... will the installer always work or will the Sierra installer software become invalid / have an outdated certificate?

daitya

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2021
Took me a long time to work this out but Prometeus's second solution on Nov 20, 2019 worked for me in the end and seems like the most elegant work round that uses the most recent files, if you want a clean install. Thanks Prometeus!

I've written some step-by-step instructions for the process which I hope are helpful for anyone that doesn't want to read through the whole context to Prometeus's version:

1) Download Sierra from the App Store using this link. This will take a while to download, it's a 5Gb file. It will download an application file to your Applications folder called "Install macOS Sierra". However, when the download completes you will get an error message saying it is damaged and can't be used, this is because the certificate has expired and so your computer thinks it is out of date. Only Apple know why they have left an expired product on their App Store.

2) Don't worry about it being expired, run the command on Terminal to create a bootable USB drive with it anyhow. Follow the instructions on Apple's website here under "Use the 'createinstallmedia' command in Terminal" to do this.

3) Rename the app file in your Applications folder from "Install macOS Sierra" to something else, such as "Install macOS Sierra - expired", you'll need admin password to do this. You shouldn't need it again and can delete it later, but keep it for now just in case.

4) Download the other, newer version of Sierra that Apple offer from their website under Step 4 here. This will take a while, it's a 5Gb file.

5) This version downloads as a disk image called InstallOS.dmg, not an app for some reason. So, when it is downloaded open it and then open the InstallOS.pkg file that is inside it. This will start an installer process, but don't worry, it is NOT going to install on the machine you're working on now. Just go through the process and at the end it will create another application file in your Applications folder called "Install macOS Sierra" and this version is NOT expired (if you check the file info you should see it's a more recent version than the one from the App Store). However, the command in it to make a bootable USB drive doesn't work (only Apple know why) so that's why you had to create the bootable USB with the expired version first.

6) Now, open the bootable USB drive you already created and delete the file "Install macOS Sierra" that's inside. Empty your trash too to make sure it's really gone. The USB drive will look like it's empty now, but all the special files it needs to be bootable are still there, they are just hidden.

7) Copy the new "Install macOS Sierra" file from your Applications folder to the USB drive (just copy and paste it, like any normal file). This will take a while, it's a 5Gb file.

8) Your bootable USB drive is now ready to use, eject it, put it in the target machine instead and follow the instructions under "Use the bootable installer" on Apple's website here to complete the process.

9) Once you've successfully installed Sierra on the target machine you can delete the files you downloaded before to the Applications folder on the other machine, but keep that bootable USB drive safe, you might need it again and you worked hard to create it.

10) Congratulate yourself on finding a way to use a version of OS that Apple apparently want to make obsolete, even though there's a lot of their hardware out there still that can't run anything newer. Shame on you Apple!
This worked beautifully for me, as of 18 March 2021!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.