Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
My predictions:

-1,1/2,1 Mac Pros: These will be once-again resurrected by way of their usual boot.efi workaround.

-3,1 Mac Pros: I am not sure. It wouldn't be a matter of the boot.efi, so I'm guessing some sort of other trickery will need to be used. That being said, it actually remains the most questionable one of the lot.

-4,1 Mac Pros: These will likely be flashed to 5,1 so that they can possibly trick the new Sierra. There could be a workaround that doesn't require a firmware upgrade, but a firmware upgrade may be easier and is also required if one wants to upgrade their CPUs.

-2009 MacBook Pros/Mac Minis: Not sure about 2008 and 2007 MacBook Pros, but they may be able to receive similar methods of upgrade, since something like a 2007 17" MBP has a better CPU and GPU than my 2009 MacBook Pro. But, anyway, the 2009 MacBook Pro and Mac Mini (and possibly 2007/2008 MacBook Pros - and 2008 Mac Mini[?]) can likely receive a quick little fix to get Sierra to run, being that they all have the same GPUs or better than that of the white 2009 MacBook. Not sure what the fix could entail, but it could just be a matter of eliminating their model IDs from the internal list of unsupported ones, etc.

-2009 MacBook Air: A given 2008 model won't be able to (that is, the earlier 2008 model), but perhaps a late 2008 and a 2009 model may be able to push through. It DOES have a 9400M GPU as well, so there should be a quick fix for that. Granted, it only can support up to 2GB of RAM, so updating is pushing it.

-2007/2008 iMacs: These - mostly the 24" models - have the capacity to run El Cap, and therefore should be able to run Sierra, with a necessary workaround. Now, these don't have the 9400M, so more trickery may need to be involved, but it should be possible. Heck, I know someone who got Yosemite on a 2006 iMac.

-Aluminum MacBook: (Making this separate because it's an odd-ball machine.) It can run El Capitan and has a 9400M, so it should be able to deal with Sierra, with the necessary tweaking.

All in all, Apple is basically screwing us over by - yet again - taking capable machines and tossing them aside. This time, they've done worse by making machines, whose GPUs are identical to those of supported machines, unsupported for Sierra. Good thing that we won't take kindly to this. Give praise to those who will soon be working on solutions to get our favorite machines up and running again.

Last edited:

ferretex

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Spain
24" Early 2008 iMac Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz 6GB RAM OWC 240GB SSD and 13" Late 2008 MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz 8GB RAM OWC 240GB SSD. This is the end...:(

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
-2009 MacBook Air: A 2008 model won't be able to, but perhaps a 2009 model may be able to push through. It DOES have a 9400M GPU as well, so there should be a quick fix for that. Granted, it only can support up to 2GB of RAM, so updating is pushing it.
The late 2008 and mid 2009 models are almost identical. The only difference is a minor CPU bump in the 2009.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
My mini chugs along for one more MacOS, er...macOS.

I can only hope there are definite speed improvements to make me use it over Windows 10. I'm sorry, but Win10 is a damn good OS and makes El Cap look like El Crap on this system.

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
There's going to be ways to get Sierra on older Macs. I wouldn't be afraid to bet money on that. The hardware is still capable, and so are the patchers ;)

Reactions: voblak2

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Downloading the OS as we speak. I won't be able to dissect it until later tonight though. Anyone already found changes in the installer? PlatformSupport.plist still in the OSInstall.mpkg?

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Downloading the OS as we speak. I won't be able to dissect it until later tonight though. Anyone already found changes in the installer? PlatformSupport.plist still in the OSInstall.mpkg?

Let me guess... there's gonna be some internal list within Sierra that shows, in plain sight, models with 9400Ms that are deemed unsupported. I'll bet that those models can simply be erased from the code (or O.K.'d) and the installer can be saved and used for said machines :D.
[doublepost=1465850708][/doublepost]
24" Early 2008 iMac Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz 6GB RAM OWC 240GB SSD 13" Late 2008 MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz 8GB RAM OWC 240GB SSD. This is the end...:(

Sadly, things won't be so easy... but I have hope that there will be a workaround for your machine.
[doublepost=1465850793][/doublepost]
The late 2008 and mid 2009 models are almost identical. The only difference is a minor CPU bump in the 2009.

I was just unsure because I don't know whether or not someone has already tried El Cap on a 2008 model. The 2008 model's latest official version is Lion. However, I guess it could go past that; however, 2GB RAM is lame.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I was just unsure because I don't know whether or not someone has already tried El Cap on a 2008 model. The 2008 model's latest official version is Lion. However, I guess it could go past that; however, 2GB RAM is lame.
The early and late 2008 models are more different. I'm referring to the one I have, a late 2008, which has official El Capitan support.

philheaton

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2016
Scotland
my 2015 rMBP is obviously fine. Its my upgraded 2008 MP that I'm worried about. 22GB RAM, GTX 680 2GB, twin quad core 2.8GHz, upgraded Bluetooth module (handoff works seamlessly), 2GB Fusion Drive, is clearly not good enough for Sierra.

:(

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
xD Off-topic, but some Mac-hater told me I was stupid for spending "$2000" to upgrade an aging machine. I literally spent $100 on a GPU and $50 on 32GB of RAM for my 2009 Mac Pro. It's like they all assume that using a Mac (even a free, used Mac) requires that we pour money into it.
[doublepost=1465851244][/doublepost]
my 2015 rMBP is obviously fine. Its my upgraded 2008 MP that I'm worried about. 22GB RAM, GTX 680 2GB, twin quad core 2.8GHz, upgraded Bluetooth module (handoff works seamlessly), 2GB Fusion Drive, is clearly not good enough for Sierra.

:(

The 2008 one is iffy because it already has a 64-bit EFI and cannot be flashed to 5,1 like the 4,1 can, but know that there should be a workaround for it sooner or later.
[doublepost=1465851475][/doublepost]
The early and late 2008 models are more different. I'm referring to the one I have, a late 2008, which has official El Capitan support.

Oh, I didn't know about that. Thanks for clarifying.

curmudgeonette

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
California
Wonder why they struck the 2009 Mac mini off?

Especially as the 2010 is basically the identical hardware (mainly just the 320M in place of the 9400M,) though in the new unibody case.

However, my attempt to install El Cap on the neighbor's 2010 Mini was an unmitigated disaster, and thus perhaps even the 2010 should have been stricken from the list? Maybe 10.13 will have a serious reduction in supported systems and Apple is artificially rolling out the reduction in two steps.

An interesting observation: I think all the newly stricken machines can run Snow Leopard. Sort of like - if the machine can't run an OS with the latest modern features, it can instead run the OS without any of the modern features.

Nossie

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2006
I have a macmini 3,1 - I only use it as a server with the extension and access it via VNC - such a shame Apple doesn't just warn about ageing hardware rather than cutting it straight out.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
While I would have liked consistency (either all Late 2009 Macs or no Late 2009 Macs), it's still a much simpler list than the previous one (2007-2009 models, now just 2009-2010).

jwpoof

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
My predictions:

All in all, Apple is basically screwing us over by - yet again - taking capable machines and tossing them aside. This time, they've done worse by making machines, whose GPUs are identical to those of supported machines, unsupported for Sierra. Good thing that we won't take kindly to this. Give praise to those who will soon be working on solutions to get our favorite machines up and running again.

I have been and remain quite critical of Apple for a lot of reasons echoed elsewhere, but this is a ridiculous complaint. Do you really expect 7+ year old computers to get a free operating system upgrade? If they really wanted to "screw you over" they'd make it so you can't just continue to use El Capitan.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
I wonder if there are any changes in say.. the audio chip between the 09/10 models

i.e. ipad 2 no siri but ipad mini had siri. despite same CPU because of the microphone

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

ziggy29

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
Oregon North Coast
I have been and remain quite critical of Apple for a lot of reasons echoed elsewhere, but this is a ridiculous complaint. Do you really expect 7+ year old computers to get a free operating system upgrade? If they really wanted to "screw you over" they'd make it so you can't just continue to use El Capitan.
I think the criticism is based on drawing a line based on the age of the machine rather than some entirely unsupported CPU, GPU, CPU speed or installed RAM. In other words, it seems like the older machines are perfectly capable of running Sierra based on its hardware, but they decided they had to add a "time bomb" in addition to the usual and understandable hardware-based desupporting.

For example, my Unibody (Late 2008) MacBook. I wasn't sure I was planning to upgrade that one anyway (and have been considering going back to Mavericks), but just the same... it has enough RAM (8 GB), it has the same CPU (2.0/2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo) as some supported models, has the same 9400M graphics as some supported models, so the code will be there to allow it to work... but they have (presumably) specifically coded *in* the disabling of installation on this model and others that would also be able to run it. There are probably others, too. It's not that I don't think I got a good long run of running the latest supported OS and apps, but the reason for excluding it seems not based on its lack of capability.

Yes, 7+ years of being supported by the latest software is longer than usual, but maybe the changes to system requirements based on age rather than hardware specifics is an acknowledgement that Moore's Law is definitely slowing down and it's harder to get people to buy new computers as a result.

Last edited:

Isaiah56man

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2015
A Place
My predictions:

-1,1/2,1 Mac Pros: These will be once-again resurrected by way of their usual boot.efi workaround.

-3,1 Mac Pros: I am not sure. It wouldn't be a matter of the boot.efi, so I'm guessing some sort of other trickery will need to be used. That being said, it actually remains the most questionable one of the lot.

-4,1 Mac Pros: These will likely be flashed to 5,1 so that they can possibly trick the new Sierra. There could be a workaround that doesn't require a firmware upgrade, but a firmware upgrade may be easier and is also required if one wants to upgrade their CPUs.

-2009 MacBook Pros/Mac Minis: Not sure about 2008 and 2007 MacBook Pros, but they may be able to receive similar methods of upgrade, since something like a 2007 17" MBP has a better CPU and GPU than my 2009 MacBook Pro. But, anyway, the 2009 MacBook Pro and Mac Mini (and possibly 2007/2008 MacBook Pros - and 2008 Mac Mini[?]) can likely receive a quick little fix to get Sierra to run, being that they all have the same GPUs or better than that of the white 2009 MacBook. Not sure what the fix could entail, but it could just be a matter of eliminating their model IDs from the internal list of unsupported ones, etc.

-2009 MacBook Air: A given 2008 model won't be able to (that is, the earlier 2008 model), but perhaps a late 2008 and a 2009 model may be able to push through. It DOES have a 9400M GPU as well, so there should be a quick fix for that. Granted, it only can support up to 2GB of RAM, so updating is pushing it.

-2007/2008 iMacs: These - mostly the 24" models - have the capacity to run El Cap, and therefore should be able to run Sierra, with a necessary workaround. Now, these don't have the 9400M, so more trickery may need to be involved, but it should be possible. Heck, I know someone who got Yosemite on a 2006 iMac.

-Aluminum MacBook: (Making this separate because it's an odd-ball machine.) It can run El Capitan and has a 9400M, so it should be able to deal with Sierra, with the necessary tweaking.

[doublepost=1465862381][/doublepost]Thank you hard working developers that will be working to bring our computers to the latest version of Mac os stupid.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Quick update on the Mac mini. Installed it on to an external drive via the rMBP, then had a play with the Platform Support.plist and substituted the one from 10.11. That gets past the prohibited symbol, but it won't load the GUI...

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
24" Early 2008 iMac Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz 6GB RAM OWC 240GB SSD and 13" Late 2008 MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz 8GB RAM OWC 240GB SSD. This is the end...:(

Same here. The unibody MacBook was one of a kind and has no equals among Apple’s current lineup, especially with Apple’s trend in preventing upgradeability. If I cannot get this to work, I’ll probably abandon OS X.

Reactions: nt5672 and Lolito
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.