Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Logicuser

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2018
Good to know - but I should still be able to boot from the external USB drive, no?

I needed to reset the PRAM on the Mac, otherwise it wouldn't boot at all - it seemed te keep waiting for the external drive to become available.

EDIT: Found out, after hours of troubleshooting, that in order to make this work with my graphics card (an ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024mb), I need to modify/flash that card as well. That needs to be done by putting it into a Windows computer with PCI-slot and flashing it, or from a Mac that runs windows.

Last edited:

haroldjohnson

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2006
Hi,

I successfully upgraded my MacBook 5,2 (mid 2009) to OS X Sierra a few days ago. My MacBook was unsupported so I used dosdude1's Patcher.(I upgraded from El Capitan) But I have a problem with Sierra. When I try to make the Brightness lower or higher it just stays the same Brightness.I also tried to change the Brightness in the Settings but it also does not work. I updated Sierra to 10.12.6. The Brightness works perfectly on El Capitan.Can someone please help me to fix it?
[doublepost=1517147900][/doublepost]

Guys I just found a solution. I went to the App Store and installed Brightness 2. Now I can change my Brightness. But the Brightness Control on my Keyboard still don't work. I don't understand it but now I CAN CHANGE MY BRIGHTNESS YAY!

On February 1 I installed Security Update 2018-001 from the App Store and now am finding that when I attempt to change my MacBook's display brightness using the keyboard, the brightness temporarily increases but reverts to (what appears to be) the dimmest setting after a second or two. It doesn't matter what I set the brightness level to; after one or two seconds it always reverts back to the dimmest setting. (It appears to be the lowest brightness setting, prior to which is complete darkness.) Is your experience the same?

haroldjohnson

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2006
(My apologies ahead for repeating much of the same post I made just prior to this one; I can't seem to figure out how to delete the post. In any case, I needed to include some more information about my situation and feel it warranted a separate post.)

Back in December I discovered my aging MacBook (Mid 2009, MacBook5,2), which had been running El Capitan, required Sierra in order to run some software I needed to use. After a bit of research I learned about dosdude1's patch (and subsequently, this forum thread) and after some trial and error I was soon running Sierra on the old 'Book. At first my system had some problems with setting and maintaining the display brightness but after running some procedure (which I'm now unable to remember the exact details of, though I recall using a script), I soon had that issue more or less resolved.

After a recent update, the brightness issue (or some variation of it) has returned. I believe it returned after I installed Security Update 2018-001 from the App Store (which I allowed on Feb. 1) but it's possible (though in my mind, doesn't seem likely) that it occurred as a result of one of the other two updates I applied about a week prior (Safari Version 11.0.3 and iTunes Version 12.7.3. As with the security update, both of these updates were installed from the App Store. Inexplicably -- and I don't know if this indicates anything -- the Safari update shows as having been installed twice, once on Jan. 23 and then again the following day.)

Immediately after one of the updates (and again, I believe it was the security update) I found that the brightness setting was dim. When I attempted to change my MacBook's display brightness using the keyboard, the brightness temporarily increased but reverted to (what appeared to be) the dimmest setting after a second or two. It doesn't matter what I set the brightness level to; after one or two seconds it always reverted back to the dimmest setting. (It appeared to be the lowest brightness setting, prior to which is complete darkness.) I remembered that back in December -- after having first installed Sierra and finding my MacBook keyboard unable to adjust the display brightness -- I had installed the Brightness menu bar item (provided by berg design, I believe). I hadn't needed to use the Brightness utility since running the procedure I'm not currently recalling the details of, but I've still had it installed on my system regardless. And I'm glad I kept it -- I tried using again it to adjust the brightness, and it worked, so now I am again able to adjust the brightness. That said, the brightness level now only maintains it's state until my MacBook is put into its sleep state (or until it is shut down or rebooted); at which point I must using the Brightness slider to readjust the brightness level again. This is the state of my MacBook today.

Any suggestions? My aim with this somewhat lengthy post is to help both myself and others discover how to get my MacBook's built-in display brightness setter to operate as it did prior to the recent updates -- that is, without having to use the Brightness app each and every time I use my Mac. Though the current state of my MacBook is certainly useable (and I've been thrilled that I've been able to run Sierra on this old 'Book at all), it a bit of a PITA to have to access the Brightness menu item each and every time I awaken my system. So if anyone else is experiencing (or has experienced) this after applying the recent update(s), what have you done to resolve the issue?

I'm thinking of tracking down the procedure I initially ran back in December to resolve the brightness issue then and reapplying it to see if it corrects the issue again but this is a production system (well, for a class I'm taking, anyway) so I can't/won't take the chance of potentially disabling the system by running any scripts on it just yet. (Perhaps next week, once I've completed the course I'm using the MacBook for. In the meantime I'm looking for any suggestions.)

Okay, thanks for your time. Hopefully others who stumble upon my post will find it helpful in some way, either through the details I've presented or from the replies that follow as a result of this post. Regardless, thank you to everyone who has worked on this project (that of enabling unsupported Macs to run Sierra) -- it truly helps out those of us who, for one reason or another, want or need to keep our aging Macs running!

Last edited:

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
(My apologies ahead for repeating much of the same post I made just prior to this one; I can't seem to figure out how to delete the post. In any case, I needed to include some more information about my situation and feel it warranted a separate post.)

Back in December I discovered my aging MacBook (Mid 2009, MacBook5,2), which had been running El Capitan, required Sierra in order to run some software I needed to use. After a bit of research I learned about dosdude1's patch (and subsequently, this forum thread) and after some trial and error I was soon running Sierra on the old 'Book. At first my system had some problems with setting and maintaining the display brightness but after running some procedure (which I'm now unable to remember the exact details of, though I recall using a script), I soon had that issue more or less resolved.

After a recent update, the brightness issue (or some variation of it) has returned. I believe it returned after I installed Security Update 2018-001 from the App Store (which I allowed on Feb. 1) but it's possible (though in my mind, doesn't seem likely) that it occurred as a result of one of the other two updates I applied about a week prior (Safari Version 11.0.3 and iTunes Version 12.7.3. As with the security update, both of these updates were installed from the App Store. Inexplicably -- and I don't know if this indicates anything -- the Safari update shows as having been installed twice, once on Jan. 23 and then again the following day.)

Immediately after one of the updates (and again, I believe it was the security update) I found that the brightness setting was dim. When I attempted to change my MacBook's display brightness using the keyboard, the brightness temporarily increased but reverted to (what appeared to be) the dimmest setting after a second or two. It doesn't matter what I set the brightness level to; after one or two seconds it always reverted back to the dimmest setting. (It appeared to be the lowest brightness setting, prior to which is complete darkness.) I remembered that back in December -- after having first installed Sierra and finding my MacBook keyboard unable to adjust the display brightness -- I had installed the Brightness menu bar item (provided by berg design, I believe). I hadn't needed to use the Brightness utility since running the procedure I'm not currently recalling the details of, but I've still had it installed on my system regardless. And I'm glad I kept it -- I tried using again it to adjust the brightness, and it worked, so now I am again able to adjust the brightness. That said, the brightness level now only maintains it's state until my MacBook is put into its sleep state (or until it is shut down or rebooted); at which point I must using the Brightness slider to readjust the brightness level again. This is the state of my MacBook today.

Any suggestions? My aim with this somewhat lengthy post is to help both myself and others discover how to get my MacBook's built-in display brightness setter to operate as it did prior to the recent updates -- that is, without having to use the Brightness app each and every time I use my Mac. Though the current state of my MacBook is certainly useable (and I've been thrilled that I've been able to run Sierra on this old 'Book at all), it a bit of a PITA to have to access the Brightness menu item each and every time I awaken my system. So if anyone else is experiencing (or has experienced) this after applying the recent update(s), what have you done to resolve the issue?

I'm thinking of tracking down the procedure I initially ran back in December to resolve the brightness issue then and reapplying it to see if it corrects the issue again but this is a production system (well, for a class I'm taking, anyway) so I can't/won't take the chance of potentially disabling the system by running any scripts on it just yet. (Perhaps next week, once I've completed the course I'm using the MacBook for. In the meantime I'm looking for any suggestions.)

Okay, thanks for your time. Hopefully others who stumble upon my post will find it helpful in some way, either through the details I've presented or from the replies that follow as a result of this post. Regardless, thank you to everyone who has worked on this project (that of enabling unsupported Macs to run Sierra) -- it truly helps out those of us who, for one reason or another, want or need to keep our aging Macs running!
Ah, yeah, some of the patches get overwritten during system updates. To re-apply the backlight control patch, you can simply download and run the script found here. There is a Patch Updater/Manager included with High Sierra Patcher, which provides a more automated and easier to use approach to overwritten patches, by allowing you to re-install them.

haroldjohnson

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2006
Ah, yeah, some of the patches get overwritten during system updates. To re-apply the backlight control patch, you can simply download and run the script found here. There is a Patch Updater/Manager included with High Sierra Patcher, which provides a more automated and easier to use approach to overwritten patches, by allowing you to re-install them.

Thank you -- I just ran the script and it appears to be back to normal. Thanks again!
[doublepost=1517897241][/doublepost]Has anyone with a 2009 MacBook (Mid 2009 MacBook5,2) found Night Shift available? I feel like it showed up in the Display system preferences when I originally installed Sierra but it's no longer available. Perhaps it was also obliterated by the recent security update (Security Update 2018-001)...

mackie861

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2018
Germany

The Dock and all Apps don´t start anymore
- Sierra Patch not usable for me !

Dear user, dear dosdude1

Always the same for me:

Sierra Patch 10.12.6 with all SecUpdates installed with no problems.
Then setting up an admin and a standard user account.
Configuring the standard user, installing apps, set up system preferences ....

Then the day is coming when unexpectly no app will start and the dock is also not working anymore ! Impossible to work further ...

New start, safe mode, restarting the post install tool including force cache rebuild, clear finder and docks plist files - nothing helps !

Only way: the admin account is still working normal

start erasing the "defect" standard user account

I set up a new, fresh standard account and start configuring the mac again ....

till the day comes again, when the dock and all of the apps will not start anymore (screen goes dark for less then a second during trying to start an app or something from the dock and nothing more happens) !

I´m very sad because I have lost much time searching for the mistake in this forum and the whole net and maybe I should give up now and install El Capitan ...

Can somebody help me or having the same problem ?

imac 9,1
early 2009
3,06 GHz
8GB RAM
normal HD, orig. Hardware

jackoverfull

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Berlin, Germany
I get this "not found" error while trying to update safari. any suggestion?

Attachments

• Schermata 2018-02-06 alle 12.37.23.png
    Schermata 2018-02-06 alle 12.37.23.png
    202.1 KB · Views: 435

Kuba77

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2010
I had exactly the same issue after installing security update. This script solved it 100%. Thanks, dosdude1

Reactions: dysamoria

MDangerous

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
Correct. Yes D instead of d, but I just drag the distribution file into the Terminal window.
Good, excellent and great.
You seem to be doing everything correctly, so I am at a bit of a loss as to why that dialogue is coming up.
I am going to download the update again and then go through the procedure again just to make sure.
Will get back to you.
[doublepost=1517336572][/doublepost]O

Ok so I have just downloaded the security update and then gone through the instructions to modify the distribution file. And everything went according to plan, so I can't see why you are getting that dialogue. The only thing that I can only think of is if at some stage you were running a Beta version of macOS Sierra at some point.

It turned out that SIP somehow got re-enabled. That is what was stopping me from getting the update. Everything is up-to-date now. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Reactions: dysamoria

MikB

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
these will not install unless you replace the Distribution file contained in the .pkg. Instructions below.
Thanks for those instructions that I modified.

I did these steps (Italics parts also include the " ' " as well as the "," for edits):

1. Downloaded and opened "SecUpd2018-001Sierra.dmg".
  2. Copied SecUpd2018-001Sierra.pkg to Desktop.
  3. In Terminal ran command pkgutil --expand ~/Desktop/SecUpd2018-001Sierra.pkg ~/Desktop/Expanded
  4. Ran the command ioreg -lp IOService | grep board-id to get my board-Id that I copied
  5. Opened the Command Line Editor Pico with pico ~/Desktop/Expanded/Distribution
  6. Found line 21 with "var boardIds" and added mine as 'Mac-F22587C8', just after var boardIds = [
  7. Found line 29 and removed my model 'MacBookPro5,3', from the array.
  8. Wrote out this edit to ~/Desktop/Distribution
  9. Ran the command chmod 755 ~/Desktop/Distribution (+x refused to work)
  10. Copied over the file with mv -f ~/Desktop/Distribution ~/Desktop/Expanded/Distribution
  11. ran pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/Expanded ~/Desktop/SecUpd2018-001Sierra_patched.pkg
This installed fine and I didn't even have to disable SIP again.

Last edited:

nealnt

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2013
macOS Sierra on unsupported Macs
View attachment 637083
Introduction

For the first time since OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) in 2012, macOS Sierra (10.12) has changed the official minimum requirements needed for installation, leaving many older (but still perfectly capable) Macs behind.

• MacBook (late 2009 or later)
  • iMac (late 2009 or later)
  • MacBook Air (2010 or later)
  • MacBook Pro (2010 or later)
  • Mac mini (2010 or later)
  • Mac Pro (2010 or later)

This is a thread for people to discuss and offer solutions for newly unsupported Macs in macOS Sierra. This post will be updated with solutions as they become available.

macOS History

OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) was the first version of OS X with support for 64-bit kernels, allowing booting with either a 32-bit or 64-bit kernel. However, Apple did not support booting the 64-bit kernel in Macs that shipped with EFI32 firmware, even if they had 64-bit processors capable of running the 64-bit kernel. When Apple dropped the 32-bit kernel entirely in OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), EFI32 Macs no longer had an Apple-supported mechanism to boot newer versions of OS X.

OS X El Capitan (10.11) includes SIP (System Integrity Protection/Rootless). It makes sure that system files and their permissions are automatically protected, and also updated during Software Updates. The Repair Permissions function is no longer available and access to system files that need to be changed may require disabling it.

Known Issues:
  • macOS Sierra dropped support for Wi-Fi cards (BCM4321) used in most 2008 and some 2009 Macs. A hardware upgrade is required to get Wi-Fi functionality on those models.
  • iMac8,1 - Volume control for the Built-In Audio device may work improperly or not at all.
  • Macbook5,2 - The trackpad is not configurable, it is detected as a regular mouse instead.
Models Tested:

kb3QFjw.png

Older Legacy Macs not in this table (including the MacBook2,1, MacBook3,1 and iMac5,1) can install Mountain Lion (10.8), Mavericks (10.9), and Yosemite (10.10) with MacPostFactor or OS X Extractor (noted in the spoiler below), but are not supported by OS X El Capitan (10.11) or later.

MacPro1,1 and 2,1 can run OS X El Capitan with the methods noted in the spoiler below, but are currently not supported by macOS Sierra due to a lack of SSE 4 support (the CPU can be upgraded but its firmware does not support newer SSE 4-compatible CPUs).

Legacy Development Files:

Kexts:
Legacy USB Injector Kext
OS X Extractor - Beta USB Kexts.zip (depreciated)

PlatformSupport.plist / InstallableMachines.plist:
Download Zip

Known Patching Methods (the important bit):
Automatic tools that can be used to install macOS Sierra onto an unsupported Mac.

Using @dosdude1's Patcher Tool:
Main Page/Instructions: MacOS Sierra Patcher Tool for Unsupported Macs
Download: [Direct Download]

Enabling Updates:
Sierra does not allow updating to minor versions (such as 10.12.1) without modification.

Using @foxlet's AUSEnabler:
Main Page: AUSEnabler - FurCode

Using dylib injection to fake out system checks (@Czo patch). Download script and execute
Download: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/5129cdb72d19a5eee68383c88082bd43
Download: http://dosdude1.com/sierra/swupatch.sh.zip
Source: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/96tg06ys1pyem8v/AAAw0Gc4nlxK2OmXn4zFG-H6a?dl=0

Other OS patching threads:

macOS Sierra (10.12)
2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and macOS Sierra - Mr. Zarniwoop

OS X El Capitan (10.11)
OS X El Capitan on Unsupported Macs - TMRJIJ
2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and El Capitan - Mr. Zarniwoop

OS X Yosemite (10.10)
OS X Yosemite on Unsupported Macs - TMRJIJ
2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and OS X Yosemite - Mr. Zarniwoop

OS X Mavericks (10.9)
[Guide] Installing 10.9 Mavericks on older Macs. - HackerWayne
Mac Pro 2,1 and OS X Mavericks - 5050

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)
Success! Install 10.8 on old unsupported Mac - HackerWayne

nealnt

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2013
macOS Sierra on unsupported Macs
View attachment 637083
Introduction

For the first time since OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) in 2012, macOS Sierra (10.12) has changed the official minimum requirements needed for installation, leaving many older (but still perfectly capable) Macs behind.

• MacBook (late 2009 or later)
  • iMac (late 2009 or later)
  • MacBook Air (2010 or later)
  • MacBook Pro (2010 or later)
  • Mac mini (2010 or later)
  • Mac Pro (2010 or later)

This is a thread for people to discuss and offer solutions for newly unsupported Macs in macOS Sierra. This post will be updated with solutions as they become available.

macOS History

OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) was the first version of OS X with support for 64-bit kernels, allowing booting with either a 32-bit or 64-bit kernel. However, Apple did not support booting the 64-bit kernel in Macs that shipped with EFI32 firmware, even if they had 64-bit processors capable of running the 64-bit kernel. When Apple dropped the 32-bit kernel entirely in OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), EFI32 Macs no longer had an Apple-supported mechanism to boot newer versions of OS X.

OS X El Capitan (10.11) includes SIP (System Integrity Protection/Rootless). It makes sure that system files and their permissions are automatically protected, and also updated during Software Updates. The Repair Permissions function is no longer available and access to system files that need to be changed may require disabling it.

Known Issues:
  • macOS Sierra dropped support for Wi-Fi cards (BCM4321) used in most 2008 and some 2009 Macs. A hardware upgrade is required to get Wi-Fi functionality on those models.
  • iMac8,1 - Volume control for the Built-In Audio device may work improperly or not at all.
  • Macbook5,2 - The trackpad is not configurable, it is detected as a regular mouse instead.
Models Tested:

kb3QFjw.png

Older Legacy Macs not in this table (including the MacBook2,1, MacBook3,1 and iMac5,1) can install Mountain Lion (10.8), Mavericks (10.9), and Yosemite (10.10) with MacPostFactor or OS X Extractor (noted in the spoiler below), but are not supported by OS X El Capitan (10.11) or later.

MacPro1,1 and 2,1 can run OS X El Capitan with the methods noted in the spoiler below, but are currently not supported by macOS Sierra due to a lack of SSE 4 support (the CPU can be upgraded but its firmware does not support newer SSE 4-compatible CPUs).

Legacy Development Files:

Kexts:
Legacy USB Injector Kext
OS X Extractor - Beta USB Kexts.zip (depreciated)

PlatformSupport.plist / InstallableMachines.plist:
Download Zip

Known Patching Methods (the important bit):
Automatic tools that can be used to install macOS Sierra onto an unsupported Mac.

Using @dosdude1's Patcher Tool:
Main Page/Instructions: MacOS Sierra Patcher Tool for Unsupported Macs

Enabling Updates:
Sierra does not allow updating to minor versions (such as 10.12.1) without modification.

Using @foxlet's AUSEnabler:
Main Page: AUSEnabler - FurCode

Using dylib injection to fake out system checks (@Czo patch). Download script and execute
Download: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/5129cdb72d19a5eee68383c88082bd43
Download: http://dosdude1.com/sierra/swupatch.sh.zip
Source: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/96tg06ys1pyem8v/AAAw0Gc4nlxK2OmXn4zFG-H6a?dl=0

Other OS patching threads:

macOS Sierra (10.12)
2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and macOS Sierra - Mr. Zarniwoop

OS X El Capitan (10.11)
OS X El Capitan on Unsupported Macs - TMRJIJ
2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and El Capitan - Mr. Zarniwoop

OS X Yosemite (10.10)
OS X Yosemite on Unsupported Macs - TMRJIJ
2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and OS X Yosemite - Mr. Zarniwoop

OS X Mavericks (10.9)
[Guide] Installing 10.9 Mavericks on older Macs. - HackerWayne
Mac Pro 2,1 and OS X Mavericks - 5050

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)
Success! Install 10.8 on old unsupported Mac - HackerWayne
[doublepost=1519158405][/doublepost]I followed the instructions carefully many times even in safe mode. When booting from the flash drive the progress bar comes to and end then nothing happens. I wailed as long as 8 hours. I have attached the console log. Any ideas?

Mac pro 3,1 18 gig memory

Attachments

• All Messages.txt
    568 KB · Views: 1,033

m030

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2018
Dear Guys...

I try to patch MacOs Sierra to install an a MacPro 3.1...

The DosDude Sierra Patcher shows allways error allert:

Could not copy files to your USB drive. Make sure your USB drive is formatted correctly, then try again.

I tried it on USB stick and also on a empty internal disk.
Of course... all media I tried are formatted in OSX extended journaled.

I don't understand the problem....

If u can help, it would be wonderful...

all the best
Marie

L Caputo

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
Dear Guys...

I try to patch MacOs Sierra to install an a MacPro 3.1...

The DosDude Sierra Patcher shows allways error allert:

Could not copy files to your USB drive. Make sure your USB drive is formatted correctly, then try again.

I tried it on USB stick and also on a empty internal disk.
Of course... all media I tried are formatted in OSX extended journaled.

I don't understand the problem....

If u can help, it would be wonderful...

all the best
Marie
[doublepost=1519454652][/doublepost]Could be the USB you are using try another and make sure you format it correctly. Plug the USB stick in, open Disk Utility, select the Disk not the Volume in the sidebar click on Erase, choose a name for the Disk, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for the Format and then select GUID Partition Map for Scheme, click erase. Now follow the instructions here,
http://dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html

m030

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2018
[doublepost=1519454652][/doublepost]Could be the USB you are using try another and make sure you format it correctly. Plug the USB stick in, open Disk Utility, select the Disk not the Volume in the sidebar click on Erase, choose a name for the Disk, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for the Format and then select GUID Partition Map for Scheme, click erase. Now follow the instructions here,
http://dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html

hi caputo,
first... thanks for moving the thread....
I think, the reason was, to find versions of Sierra and dosdide patch that fits together...
now I have it on a usb stick...

the next massive problem is, the loading bar hangs at the end...the installation progress seams to stop.
did you or anyone know how to solve it? ( the mac is a MacPro 3,1 )
who can help ??

all the best marie

L Caputo

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
I never experienced the installation progress stalling, for me it reached the end and restarted, at that point you press and hold the option/ alt key and select the USB to boot back to so you can apply the post install patches.

Was your mac running ok before you tried to upgrade.

TheStork

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Returning Snowbird updated 2008 Mac Pro with the 2018-001 Security Update w/o a problem. Just like a Mac Pro update should be. :)

The Mac Pro had been updated with dual 3.2 GHz Quad Core Xeons (X5482), plus:
- PC 7950 graphics card with an EFI BIOS by MacVidCards,
- Apricorn Velocity Solo x2 SSD PCIe Adapter card with a Toshiba 120GB SSD and
- HighPoint RocketU 1144C USB 3.0 PCIe card.

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 1.00.41 PM.png

Last edited:

MacBeast

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2008
I have just updated my 2008 MacPro3,1 with the latest Sierra installer, which installed 10.12.6. All seems to be working fine (except the WiFi as expected).

The dosdude1 page on the patching procedure says that you should also run the swupatch.sh script to allow future updates. Of course there will be no more regular updates beyond 10.12.6, but is this script necessary to allow installation of security updates?

jackoverfull

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Berlin, Germany
Anyone having problems with FaceTime, lately?

When I try to call one particular person now it never works properly: she takes the call but everything locks up immediately until the call fails. It works fine with the other person I call, though.
Thing is, if I reboot in El Capitan everything works as usual.

L Caputo

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
I have just updated my 2008 MacPro3,1 with the latest Sierra installer, which installed 10.12.6. All seems to be working fine (except the WiFi as expected).

The dosdude1 page on the patching procedure says that you should also run the swupatch.sh script to allow future updates. Of course there will be no more regular updates beyond 10.12.6, but is this script necessary to allow installation of security updates?
No if you hear of any updates for Sierra and they aren't showing in the App Store the use the patcher app in your Utilities folder. Highlight the Software Update Patch, click the Control key then click re install. Restart your Mac and then relaunch App Store you should now see the updates available to you.

Last edited:

MacBeast

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2008
No if you hear of any updates for Sierra and they aren't showing in the App Store the use the patcher app in your Utilities folder. Highlight the Software Update Patch, click the Control key then click re install. Restart your Mac and then relaunch App Store you should now see the updates available to you.

OK, so the patch is to make the updates show up in the App Store, not for the actual installation. Thanks for clarifying that. I did see the 2018-001 security update and installed it, all seemed to proceed normally.

MacGarage

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2017
Ohio
I have the SIP warning popup on a supported MacPro that I transferred data from an unsupported one via Migration Assitant.

I could not find the com.dd1.SIPLD.plist in the LanuchAgents folder or through an overall search.

I am now running 10.13 on the supported MacPro.

Is there a way to remove the warning?

Thanks!

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
I have the SIP warning popup on a supported MacPro that I transferred data from an unsupported one via Migration Assitant.

I could not find the com.dd1.SIPLD.plist in the LanuchAgents folder or through an overall search.

I am now running 10.13 on the supported MacPro.

Is there a way to remove the warning?

Thanks!
Download and run the script found here to remove all patches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.