Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
OK, so, I've got a bit of an interesting problem here. One that I hope doesn't require a wipe, reinstall, and recover.

I was running Mojave on a 2011 MBP, and yesterday I finally got a new 2019 iMac, also running Mojave. I turned on my iMac, ran a migration from my Time Machine backup, chose to bring over my apps and user data, but not system settings, and let it run.

Well, it seemed to have migrated the patches over as well, and they remained even after upgrading to Catalina. I tried to remove them as best I could, but now USB is running at an extremely pitiful speed, and I think Metal is also compromised at some level.

Am I gonna need to do and reinstall, bring user data over only? (I don't want to waste my Saturday doing that.) Or is there a way I can manually unpatch things?

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
OK, so, I've got a bit of an interesting problem here. One that I hope doesn't require a wipe, reinstall, and recover.

I was running Mojave on a 2011 MBP, and yesterday I finally got a new 2019 iMac, also running Mojave. I turned on my iMac, ran a migration from my Time Machine backup, chose to bring over my apps and user data, but not system settings, and let it run.

Well, it seemed to have migrated the patches over as well, and they remained even after upgrading to Catalina. I tried to remove them as best I could, but now USB is running at an extremely pitiful speed, and I think Metal is also compromised at some level.

Am I gonna need to do and reinstall, bring user data over only? (I don't want to waste my Saturday doing that.) Or is there a way I can manually unpatch things?
Do a re-install, but don't erase the drive. That will overwrite any patched files.

Reactions: TimothyR734

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Do a re-install, but don't erase the drive. That will overwrite any patched files.
It still tries to run things like the Patch Updater, and I had to manually re-enable SIP. I'm wondering what else may still be leftover.

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: 'launch path not accessible'
*** First throw call stack:
(
0 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff3627ff53 __exceptionPreprocess + 250
1 libobjc.A.dylib 0x00007fff6c1ac835 objc_exception_throw + 48
2 Foundation 0x00007fff388b90b1 -[NSConcreteTask launchWithDictionary:error:] + 5234
3 patchupdaterd 0x00000001044d5ded patchupdaterd + 3565
4 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff6d4be583 _dispatch_call_block_and_release + 12
5 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff6d4bf50e _dispatch_client_callout + 8
6 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff6d4cd933 _dispatch_root_queue_drain + 663
7 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff6d4cdf22 _dispatch_worker_thread2 + 92
8 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff6d7186d5 _pthread_wqthread + 220
9 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007ff<…>

Pralaya

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2019
Finally dug into this issue this week and have come up with a working solution that does not require an in-place install. The issue is you have a working HFS+ bootable partition with Mojave 10.14 installed. You want to convert to APFS. Booting to a patched installer, running disk utility, unmount the volume to be converted, then choosing convert to APFS from the Edit menu will convert your drive to APFS successfully, but will result in a non-bootable system. This occurs because the Preboot container is not created during a conversion, but is needed for proper booting of the APFS container as a whole. We need to manually create the Preboot volume, copy a few system files over, and re-bless the container for booting.

View attachment 875872

If you want a working Recovery partition, I suggest doing it BEFORE the APFS conversion, I had zero success getting it to work once the drive was converted. What did work for me was using the script here :
https://github.com/rtrouton/create_macos_recovery to create the Recovery partition, then boot to the patched Mojave installer, choose post-install, and ONLY check the box that says "Recovery Partition Patch". Reboot and verify your Recovery partition is working properly. Note - The script above requires a full installer app as an argument for the script, it also downloads a .pkg file with a High Sierra Recovery image. When it actually builds the recovery partition, it puts whatever version is in the installer app you provide, NOT the High Sierra one it downloads. I fed it my 10.14.3 Mojave app and that's what the Recovery partition had when it got done. I simply dragged the script to a terminal window and then dragged the App to the same terminal window and hit enter.

Now for the magic-

1. Boot to your Recovery Partition / Patched USB Installer

2. Open a Terminal Window

3. Check disk numbers - type the following command and press enter

diskutil apfs list

4. Find the APFS Container Reference disk# - We will need this disk#. We will also need the UUID of the main partition, in my case it was disk1s1 (No Specific Role) with a Mount Point of / (easiest way is to highlight and copy with the trackpad then paste later when we need it.) In the picture below the disk# is disk1 and the UUID is 3E57DC70-8876-3F79-9AE0-FEC3D7A49BF3, the volume name is Untitled

View attachment 875879

5. Create the Preboot volume manually - type the following command and press enter

diskutil apfs addVolume disk(Put your correct disk # from above here) apfs Preboot -role B

*The B must be capitalized at the end

6. Mount the Preboot folder so we can copy files to it - type the following command and press enter

diskutil apfs list

Find the disk# for the Preboot volume to mount then type the following command and press enter

diskutil mount disk#(put the correct one from above)
example diskutil mount disk1s2

7. CD into the Preboot volume - type the following command and press enter

cd /Volumes/Preboot

8. Create a folder with the same name as the UUID you copied earlier - type the following command and press enter

mkdir 3E57DC70-8876-3F79-9AE0-FEC3D7A49BF3

9. Copy files from the attached High Sierra Preboot Folder zip file to the newly created folder on the Preboot drive - type the following command and press enter

cp -R '/Volumes/Untitled/High Sierra Preboot Folder/' /Volumes/Preboot/3E57DC70-8876-3F79-9AE0-FEC3D7A49BF3

10. Re-bless the APFS container to allow booting - type the following command and press enter

bless --folder '/Volumes/Untitled/System/Library/CoreServices' --bootefi --verbose

11. Now simply reboot and your APFS drive should be visible and boot normally, you will need to choose it from the Startup Drive preferences pane once it boots to remove the 30 second default boot delay.

Please remember your machine must be able to boot APFS for this to work, install the Dosdude firmware update package to make sure it is up to date if you are unsure. Also the UUID, disk# and Volume name will all be different on your machine, this is just a guide, make sure you change the variables to your specific ones.

Rename High Sierra Preboot Folder001.zip to High Sierra Preboot Folder.zip.001 and
Rename High Sierra Preboot Folder002.zip to High Sierra Preboot Folder.zip.002

The archive was too big to upload here in one piece.

Thank you very much, that's quite work to get the Recovery Partition alive.
In a quiet moment I'll try this.

Question: Why are you talking about High Sierra, if it is about Mojave?

Last edited:

shirsch

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2011
Burlington, VT
Does the Mojave pre-boot environment use a hardware specific display driver for text output or is this handled by video card firmware? At the time I installed Mojave from the patcher (and thus created the pre-boot partition) the machine had a GeForce 8800GT video card. Text output during pre-boot was very fast and the entire process took only a seconds. After changing to a GTX780 (with UEFI firmware from MacVidCards) the pre-boot text output is slow as molasses. The entire process now takes almost a minute.

Is it possible I have a driver remaining in the pre-boot that is no longer appropriate for the display adapter? If so, is there any way to do an in-place modification without wiping and reinstalling everything? Alternately, is this sluggish console behavior a known or expected side effect of the GTX780?

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Does the Mojave pre-boot environment use a hardware specific display driver for text output or is this handled by video card firmware? At the time I installed Mojave from the patcher (and thus created the pre-boot partition) the machine had a GeForce 8800GT video card. Text output during pre-boot was very fast and the entire process took only a seconds. After changing to a GTX780 (with UEFI firmware from MacVidCards) the pre-boot text output is slow as molasses. The entire process now takes almost a minute.

Is it possible I have a driver remaining in the pre-boot that is no longer appropriate for the display adapter? If so, is there any way to do an in-place modification without wiping and reinstalling everything? Alternately, is this sluggish console behavior a known or expected side effect of the GTX780?

When you replace a video card you should do a clean install of the macOS. That's what I would do anyway.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Not. At. All.
If it is an Apple-supported machine: All drivers there for all cards.
If it is an unsupported machine: Just run the patches again (if you add some ATI/AMD card and had NVidia or internal Intel GPU before).

I guess there is only one more "if" left:
If it is a supported video card on an unsupported Mac.

shirsch

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2011
Burlington, VT
I guess there is only one more "if" left:
If it is a supported video card on an unsupported Mac.

This is a supported video card on an unsupported Mac. I have already reinstalled Mojave to gain an environment without the 'legacy GPU' patch (in other words: using the Apple metal driver). Once Mac OS is up, things run as expected. The slowness is evident only in the EFI pre-boot. I'd just like someone with knowledge of the environment to tell me whether the pre-boot (a) has a hardware specific video driver or (b) relies solely on the video adapter firmware. If it's (a), then clearly a complete reinstall is indicated (to end up with a driver for 'supported' adapters). If it's (b), then no amount of reinstallation is going to help and I'll have to either live with it or take a chance on reflashing the system firmware to get direct APFS bootstrap.

Yiorlis59

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2019
18G2007 installation brought back Siri.But installing the overwritten patches,1)night shift,2)Siri..I lost her again.So!!I restored with local snapshot, to a previous state, then I ignored the prompt to reinstall the overwritten patches..I open the Patch Updater App..R-clicked only the night shift patch and reinstalled it.
Ignore the prompts for reinstall Siri. Both work now.

Yipee2016

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2016
I have a problem with my MacPro 3.1 with a GTX 680 graphic card. My computer was working fine but I tried to do software update of Mojave. Everything was as usual but, when I rebooted the computer I was asked for an upgrade of the patches. I made it and now, when I try to boot my computer, I have the grey apple but when the grey boot screen used to turn to the black one with the white Apple I have nothing on my screen... The computer finish the boot as I can access to my files remotely.

I tried to update my USB key with the new version of the patcher and my new USB key have the same problem ; I have the grey boot screen and then nothing instead of the white Apple.

Anybody can help me...

Thanks.

shirsch

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2011
Burlington, VT
I have a problem with my MacPro 3.1 with a GTX 680 graphic card. My computer was working fine but I tried to do software update of Mojave. Everything was as usual but, when I rebooted the computer I was asked for an upgrade of the patches. I made it and now, when I try to boot my computer, I have the grey apple but when the grey boot screen used to turn to the black one with the white Apple I have nothing on my screen... The computer finish the boot as I can access to my files remotely.

I tried to update my USB key with the new version of the patcher and my new USB key have the same problem ; I have the grey boot screen and then nothing instead of the white Apple.

Anybody can help me...

Thanks.

If the GTX 680 is directly supported by Mojave then you do NOT want the legacy GPU patch applied. Try doing a complete system reinstall from your USB key but ensure that the legacy video support is not checked when the post-install patch is run. The re-install will replace the legacy GPU driver with the official one and should not damage user files or settings. If this gets you back to an operational state, look for my posting above where I explain how to update the patcher inventory plist file to avoid being prompted for the video patch. If the GTX 680 is NOT a 'metal' capable adapter (i.e. needs the legacy support) then I'm not sure what the issue is.

Update: According to this source:

The GTX680 IS 'metal compatible'. So it does look like an OS reinstall without the legacy GPU patch will do the trick.

Last edited:

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
SIP needs to be off when doing so. If not, you'll receive errors most likely.
Thanks, things seem to be mostly working now. My main issues at this point boil down to the i/o being terrible because of the Fusion Drive in this machine being significantly weaker than the custom one I had in my MBP, and it's still in the what-goes-where training phase. Fun times with a 5400 rpm drive.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
This is a supported video card on an unsupported Mac. I have already reinstalled Mojave to gain an environment without the 'legacy GPU' patch (in other words: using the Apple metal driver). Once Mac OS is up, things run as expected. The slowness is evident only in the EFI pre-boot. I'd just like someone with knowledge of the environment to tell me whether the pre-boot (a) has a hardware specific video driver or (b) relies solely on the video adapter firmware. If it's (a), then clearly a complete reinstall is indicated (to end up with a driver for 'supported' adapters). If it's (b), then no amount of reinstallation is going to help and I'll have to either live with it or take a chance on reflashing the system firmware to get direct APFS bootstrap.

Another thing to consider is that a video card that was "flashed for Mac" will always have some limitations in its performance and will never be as good as native Apple one.

shirsch

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2011
Burlington, VT
Another thing to consider is that a video card that was "flashed for Mac" will always have some limitations in its performance and will never be as good as native Apple one.

Ok, that's the information I was trying to find. If sluggish EFI performance is due to MacVidCards custom firmware then there isn't much I can do about it. I wish they would be more forthcoming about this on their web site.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Ok, that's the information I was trying to find. If sluggish EFI performance is due to MacVidCards custom firmware then there isn't much I can do about it. I wish they would be more forthcoming about this on their web site.

But hey, this issue might go away if you take a chance with an APFS ROM patch. It is less risky than it was flashing my MacBook5,1.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
I do this with all MP3,1 I work on.

But there is always a chance of a brick.

And with this special spi flash in the 3,1 a brick is really the end of the logic board in this machine.

shirsch

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2011
Burlington, VT
But hey, this issue might go away if you take a chance with an APFS ROM patch. It is less risky than it was flashing my MacBook5,1.

I would rather not throw the dice on a re-flash. If the machine takes almost a minute to chew its way through the EFI console output I'll just learn to live with it.

Farmboy1962

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2019
Seattle
I've installed 10.14.6 on my early 2011 MBP and it works great. My problem is I can't use ANY updater (Dosdude's or Apple's). Both updaters lock up during the update install. I can't get the latest dd patch updater as it locks up during the update. The boot drive is APFS.

dd patch updater 1.2.0:

1573430022894.png

BuffyzDead

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
Finally dug into this issue this week and have come up with a working solution that does not require an in-place install. The issue is you have a working HFS+ bootable partition with Mojave 10.14 installed. You want to convert to APFS. Booting to a patched installer, running disk utility, unmount the volume to be converted, then choosing convert to APFS from the Edit menu will convert your drive to APFS successfully, but will result in a non-bootable system. This occurs because the Preboot container is not created during a conversion, but is needed for proper booting of the APFS container as a whole.

I too have an issue where my iMac Late 2009 will NOT boot after converting a spinning HFS formatted drive, to APFS. Seems like a convergence of issues because everything was running perfectly fine until I applied the most recent Mojave 10.14.6 update AND my internal power supply died. After replacing the internal Power supply with a good working one, the machine will not boot no matter how many times I reinstalled Mojave and applied post install patches. Then I thought converting the HFS to APFS might help. Needless to say, I am hosed cause it will not boot and creating this Pre-boot container seems to be a lot of work and beyond my knowledge.

At any rate,
here is my proposed solution but I want to make sure everything will be done correctly. I pulled out the internal MacintoshHD (that will not boot) and replaced it with a brand new 1TB Samsung SSD. I also have an up to date time machine backup of that internal HD.

1) Using Dosdude's v1.3.5 patcher with Mojave 10.14.6, I plan to format that SSD as APFS.
then
2) I will do a restore from Time Machine backup

Is there anything I need to do to the SSD so it will boot up after the restore from TM Backup?

Or
if possible, can someone please share the exact steps to take?
Thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.