Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Bill Forest

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2019
Hi @Bill Forest,

Copy "bkltpatch10.14.2.zip" ON YOUR DESKTOP and unziped it
You have now on your desktop a folder named bkltpatch10.14.2 with 4 files inside
Open Terminal and write (or copy) this:

Code:
cd desktop/bkltpatch10.14.2;
install.sh

This should work properly

On iMac7,1 and iMac8,1 (I have not tested on iMac 9.1) this does not work and gives Kernel Panic, 2 files should not be replaced but only "DisplayServices.framework"
Take a look at this:

Thanks, Alphascorp. After reading your post, I tried installing your "Fix Backlight control with F1-F2 keys for iMac 7,1 & 8,1" However, that did not work for me. So, I went back to try installing "bkltpatch10.14.2". However, I am still running into problems trying to install. I assume that the problem is the way I am writing.copying into Terminal. I noticed that there was a slight difference in what you wrote vs. what dosdude wrote. For example, Alphascord said to copy the zipped file to the desktop and upzip it. Then, to use this:
install.sh

But dosdude said to use this:
cd /path/to/bkltpatch10.14.2
./install.sh

When I paste in dosdude lines from above, I get this:
[iMac:~] name% cd desktop/bkltpatch10.14.2;
install.sh[iMac:~/desktop/bkltpatch10.14.2] name% install.sh
install.sh: Command not found.
[iMac:~/desktop/bkltpatch10.14.2]

Again, I am sure that it is a simple error that I am making, but since I am new to Terminal, can anyone tell if there is a syntax (or other obvious) problem that keeps this from installing correctly?
Thanks,
Bill

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I too have an issue where my iMac Late 2009 will NOT boot after converting a spinning HFS formatted drive, to APFS. Seems like a convergence of issues because everything was running perfectly fine until I applied the most recent Mojave 10.14.6 update AND my internal power supply died. After replacing the internal Power supply with a good working one, the machine will not boot no matter how many times I reinstalled Mojave and applied post install patches. Then I thought converting the HFS to APFS might help. Needless to say, I am hosed cause it will not boot and creating this Pre-boot container seems to be a lot of work and beyond my knowledge.

At any rate,
here is my proposed solution but I want to make sure everything will be done correctly. I pulled out the internal MacintoshHD (that will not boot) and replaced it with a brand new 1TB Samsung SSD. I also have an up to date time machine backup of that internal HD.

1) Using Dosdude's v1.3.5 patcher with Mojave 10.14.6, I plan to format that SSD as APFS.
then
2) I will do a restore from Time Machine backup

Is there anything I need to do to the SSD so it will boot up after the restore from TM Backup?

Or
if possible, can someone please share the exact steps to take?
Thank you

As jackluke mentioned Apple did not intend "convert to APFS" to be used with Mojave. It only works for High Sierra. I guess it is cool that it has nothing to do with the "unsupported" thing.

BuffyzDead

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
As jackluke mentioned Apple did not intend "convert to APFS" to be used with Mojave. It only works for High Sierra. I guess it is cool that it has nothing to do with the "unsupported" thing.

Please forgive me. I don't know how to use your comment

I need to know the exact steps For an iMac 10,1

So, Using Patcher v1.3.5
1) Format SSD as APFS
2) Install Mojave 10.14.6 on SSD
3) THEN do a restore from Time Machine Backup
OR
would it be better to do a Migration Assistant, to Pull 100% of the User Data, applications & settings,
off that TM backup?

I do not need to do anything special to that SSD for it to boot?

Again, specific step by step would be very helpful.
Thank you.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Please forgive me. I don't know how to use your comment

I need to know the exact steps For an iMac 10,1

So, Using Patcher v1.3.5
1) Format SSD as APFS
2) Install Mojave 10.14.6 on SSD
3) THEN do a restore from Time Machine Backup
OR
would it be better to do a Migration Assistant, to Pull 100% of the User Data, applications & settings,
off that TM backup?

I do not need to do anything special to that SSD for it to boot?

Again, specific step by step would be very helpful.
Thank you.

I guess the best way to use my comment is to realise that Mojave was MEANT to be installed on APFS formatted SSD. With that in mind, yes, finally you are doing it the right way, just don't forget to apply post install patches for your model.
I usually copy my apps and data/settings manually so not sure about the Migration Assistant.

alphascorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2018
Brest, France
Thanks, Alphascorp. After reading your post, I tried installing your "Fix Backlight control with F1-F2 keys for iMac 7,1 & 8,1" However, that did not work for me. So, I went back to try installing "bkltpatch10.14.2". However, I am still running into problems trying to install. I assume that the problem is the way I am writing.copying into Terminal. I noticed that there was a slight difference in what you wrote vs. what dosdude wrote. For example, Alphascord said to copy the zipped file to the desktop and upzip it. Then, to use this:
install.sh

But dosdude said to use this:
cd /path/to/bkltpatch10.14.2
./install.sh

When I paste in dosdude lines from above, I get this:
[iMac:~] name% cd desktop/bkltpatch10.14.2;
install.sh[iMac:~/desktop/bkltpatch10.14.2] name% install.sh
install.sh: Command not found.
[iMac:~/desktop/bkltpatch10.14.2]

Again, I am sure that it is a simple error that I am making, but since I am new to Terminal, can anyone tell if there is a syntax (or other obvious) problem that keeps this from installing correctly?
Thanks,
Bill

Hi @Bill Forest
What did not work, did you have any errors like: "No such file or directory"
Using the Terminal can seem complicated even with simple commands...

That's right, Dosdude1 wrote "cd /path/to/bkltpatch10.14.2" ("/path/to/" corresponds to the path where the folder bkltpatch10.14.2 is located) because it is imperative that the Terminal "be" in the folder where are contained the file (s) to copy (the command "cd" means "Change Directory").

In order to simplify I copy and unzip the archive on the desktop, so you get on the desktop a folder named: "Fix Backlight control with F1-F2 keys for iMac 7.1 & 8.1"

In the Terminal you have to write "cd" (with a space after) and by dragging the folder "Fix Backlight control with F1-F2 keys for iMac 7.1 & 8.1" from the desktop to the Terminal you get something like this:

"cd /Users/USERNAME/Desktop/Fix\ Backlight\ control\ with\ F1-F2\ keys\ for\ iMac\ 7\,1\ \&\ 8\,1"

(for info USERNAME will be your username, the same name of your Home folder)

and after pressing Enter we obtains something like this:

"Fix Backlight control with F1-F2 keys for iMac 7.1 & 8.1 USERNAME $"

(for info USERNAME will be your usetname)

you can see that the Terminal is in the folder because the name of the folder is just before "USERNAME $"
(at Terminal launch and before running the commade "cd" there was nothing in front of "USERNAME $")

After checking that the Terminal is in the right folder then you can write "sudo" (with a space after) and drag the file "install.sh" in the Terminal next to "sudo "
You get something like this:

"sudo /Users/USERNAME/Desktop/Fix\ Backlight\ control\ with\ F1-F2\ keys\ for\ iMac\ 7\,1\ \&\ 8\,1/install.sh"

(as previously USERNAME will be your username)

Then you can press Enter.

If you do not enter the command "cd" but you run the command "sudo install.sh" the Terminal will indicate errors: "No such file or directory"

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill Forest

TBrownJr

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2019
I haven't tried installing an update over a previous version, I just downloaded the new InstallESD.dmg (from a URL I found in the software catalog) and redid the process outlined in my manual patch tutorial completely from scratch.
[doublepost=1531355146][/doublepost]I fixed iSight camera on MacBook7,1.

As well as replacing IOUSBHostFamily.kext, you need to also replace IOUSBFamily.kext.

There may be other fallout from this, nothing that I've seen yet but backup the old file & be careful!
[doublepost=1531355203][/doublepost]@netsrot39 ^^^

:)

Hey there,

Do you have a fix for the iSight camera on MacBook Pro 8,1?

That's the only things not working on my Mac right now.

Reactions: TimothyR734

ASentientBot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2018
SkyLight.framework
Hey there,

I don't own that machine, but iSight actually started to work out of the box (with no USB modifications) on my machine in more recent Mojave/Catalina builds, so you could try updating to 10.14.6 if you haven't yet. Beyond that, you'd have to ask someone like @dosdude1 who has the hardware to test on.

philk34

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2019
Hello, I have just released my MP 2008 3.1 to Mojave. I have a GTX 680 but at each boot I have system preferences that tell me that Nvidia drivers are not good (version 418.163). A solution ?

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Hello, I have just released my MP 2008 3.1 to Mojave. I have a GTX 680 but at each boot I have system preferences that tell me that Nvidia drivers are not good (version 418.163). A solution ?
Remove nVidia web drivers, as they are not compatible with Mojave, and are unnecessary with the GTX680.

Tyke666

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
Hi All,
I have installed 10.14.6 on my Macbook Pro (5,2). Everything seems to work perfectly apart from one issue.
Several apps crash with the error shown below. In particular, mdworker but several others (Adobe products). I have seen the error mentioned elsewhere but cannot see what the solution was so I was hoping someone could let me know (I admit I have not read all 708 pages in this thread).
I can use my system fine with Spotlight indexing disabled but it is unusable with Spotlight enabled as I get an mdworker crash every few seconds.
Here is the start of a typical crash report:

Process: mdworker32 [886]
Path: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Metadata.framework/Versions/A/Support/mdworker32
Identifier: mdworker32
Version: 1191.57
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: mdworker32 [886]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2019-11-14 22:38:50.777 +0000
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14.6 (18G103)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: EC5A5427-EFCB-311F-A246-D17E775DDB1F

Time Awake Since Boot: 1400 seconds

System Integrity Protection: disabled

Crashed Thread: 0

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x2] Wrong architecture

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SkyLight.framework/Versions/A/SkyLight
Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/CoreGraphics
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SkyLight.framework/Versions/A/SkyLight: mach-o, but wrong architecture
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SkyLight.framework/Versions/A/SkyLight: stat() failed with errno=1
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SkyLight.framework/Versions/A/SkyLight: mach-o, but wrong architecture

Thanks in anticipation.

alphascorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2018
Brest, France
But note that you'll continue to see the annoying little '1' badge on the settings and update icons.

you're right, that did it but the red "1" is still there.

Hi @shirsch, Hi @jasoncarle,

I already gave the solution in message #17 376 on page #696
In order to prevent the update of Catalina but also to permanently avoid that the red badge comes back after each search for update (automatic or manual), here is the solution:
For simplicity execute all these commands at once by copying all this code (rather than copying and executing it line by line) and paste it into the Terminal:

Code:
sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina";
defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist LastRecommendedMajorOSBundleIdentifier;
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0;
killall Dock;
defaults delete com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate LatestMajorOSSeenByUserBundleIdentifier;
softwareupdate --list

EDIT

The first line disables the update proposal to Catalina.
The second and third lines remove the red badge of "Software Update" icon into system preferences.
The fourth line relaunch the Dock in order to remove the red badge from the Dock's system Preferences icon.
The fifth line prevents major updates to the OS (this is the line that will prevent the red badge coming back after next updates searches)
The last line is optional, it launch an update search to verify that the upgrade proposal to Catalina is properly disabled and that the red badge does not come back.

Last edited:

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Hi All,
I have installed 10.14.6 on my Macbook Pro (5,2). Everything seems to work perfectly apart from one issue.
Several apps crash with the error shown below. In particular, mdworker but several others (Adobe products). I have seen the error mentioned elsewhere but cannot see what the solution was so I was hoping someone could let me know (I admit I have not read all 708 pages in this thread).
I can use my system fine with Spotlight indexing disabled but it is unusable with Spotlight enabled as I get an mdworker crash every few seconds.

Path: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Metadata.framework/Versions/A/Support/mdworker32

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SkyLight.framework/Versions/A/SkyLight
Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/CoreGraphics
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SkyLight.framework/Versions/A/SkyLight: stat() failed with errno=1

Thanks in anticipation.
you using the latest macOS Mojave Patcher 1.3.5

Tyke666

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
Yes, 1.3.5 for patcher and 14.6.06 for the Installer.
One other thing, I deleted the Spotlight root index and restarted Spotlight. mdworker seemed to work ok for quite a while and the index was being built. But then the errors returned.
I am still using extended journalled file system rather than APFS as I wanted to retain the recovery partition, and rely on the patcher for updates.

MBP22

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2015
Yes, 1.3.5 for patcher and 14.6.06 for the Installer.
One other thing, I deleted the Spotlight root index and restarted Spotlight. mdworker seemed to work ok for quite a while and the index was being built. But then the errors returned.
I am still using extended journalled file system rather than APFS as I wanted to retain the recovery partition, and rely on the patcher for updates.

I have used 1.3.6 for the patcher and had the same errors: created new patched mojave installer... Booted into the Patched Mojave Install partition and reinstalled all the patches available for my macbookpro8,3 (17" with broken AMD chip).

Btw tip to bring back brightness control etc. on mbp 8,3: use AppleMuxControlKext 3.13.74 (Sierra version) as written here (sorry: bit off-topic in your case): https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...i-variable-fix.2037591/page-104#post-27530879

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Hi All,

Dyld Error Message:

Thanks in anticipation.
the newest patcher is 1.3.6

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Hey there,

These are from macOS Mojave 10.14.3 use kextutility to install these see if these work

Attachments

• IOUSBFamily.kext.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 94
  • IOUSBHostFamily.kext.zip
    1 MB · Views: 110
  • Kext Utility.zip
    286 KB · Views: 96

Tyke666

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
the newest patcher is 1.3.6
Ahh right. Must have got an older version a few days ago.
Anyway, downloaded the 1.3.6 and rebuilt the Installer. Then I re-installed the OS from the new build.
Here are the results:
Note: on the previous installation I only got crashes as described previously.
New Build:
1) I ran the post-install patcher and UNCHECKED the legacy video patch. This resulted in a few changes from the previous installation:
a) The crashes appear to have gone,
b) There were graphical glitches
c) A process that crashed previously with the same problem as mdworker now reported legacy java was required (so it was probably working)
d) The brightness function keys alt-F1 and alt-F2 previously worked OK and now do not.

Because of b) above I re-ran the post installation patcher, now enabling the legacy video patch. The results were as follows:
a) The crashes returned - exactly as before. The process that notified of legacy java requirement now didn't get that far and crashed.
b) Annoyingly, the brightness function keys still didn't work.

So the net result was the installation using 1.3.6 patcher was actually worse than under 1.3.5.

One other thing I noticed: when I did the re-installation of the OS, I was not prompted for light/dark theme etc. which I was when I overwrote the previous OS (Sierra).

The crashes appear to be something to do with the legacy video patch from the observations above.
Any help would be appreciated in resolving both the crashes and the lack of functionality of the brightness function keys.

Just noticed also:
the sleep button (from the options that appear when the power key is held a second or 2) is not working.
When I swipe to other desktops the icons are all upside down for a fraction of a second then flip the right way up.

Last edited:

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
Hello all,

Regarding a backup of Mojave 10.14.3 formate APFS , I had one duplicated with Super Duper and put the SSD in another laptop. At boot, it didn't load the Mojave system OS with the black screen and code flying by. Instead it just loaded normally and went straight to the startup options of repair and install new OS, etc.

I did try the disk repair and rebooted after it completed. It sees the SSD, allowed me to select it for startup but no luck.

So I had two SSDs with the same Mojave startup and one works but the backed up version does not. Any ideas or thoughts on this.

(I've run versions of DosDude's loader on earlier OS version and have no issues with Mojave 10.14.4.3 on two different laptops, MacBook Pro 4,1)

Thanks much and thanks everyone for this forum with DosDude!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.