Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
So, I don´t have to install the Siri patch, just like the post install suggests?

Correct. Keep in mind that as macOS updates roll in, the post install tool can't possibly determine what is now working OOB and what is not, it is just telling you that a particular patch is not installed. As I was saying previously, most patches do become obsolete eventually, as Apple(willingly or by pure accident) makes things work OOB on unsupported Macs.

carlcaulkett

macrumors member
May 13, 2017
London, England
I´m using a GTX 680 in my Mac Pro 3.1 and runs like a charm in Mojave.

On my Mac Pro 5.1 im using a Radeon 7950 3GB, two 27" monitors, and runs perfect.

My machine is a Mac Pro (early 2009) and started life as a 4,1 but I did the firmware flash upgrade to 5,1. I also used the DosDude1 patch to enable Mojave. I'm a little confused because of this page which says that the "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition" can be used with mid-2010 and mid-2012 models.

Presumably, this info is based on the official Apple info which doesn't take account of the DosDude factor!

What I'm trying to establish in my round-about way is whether my Mac Pro (early 2009) can be used with the GTX 680 and whether this will make it a fully Metal-Compatible machine.

Hope that all makes sense! It is late here in London, England and I am quite tired!

Reactions: TimothyR734

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
My machine is a Mac Pro (early 2009) and started life as a 4,1 but I did the firmware flash upgrade to 5,1. I also used the DosDude1 patch to enable Mojave. I'm a little confused because of this page which says that the "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition" can be used with mid-2010 and mid-2012 models.

Presumably, this info is based on the official Apple info which doesn't take account of the DosDude factor!

What I'm trying to establish in my round-about way is whether my Mac Pro (early 2009) can be used with the GTX 680 and whether this will make it a fully Metal-Compatible machine.

Hope that all makes sense! It is late here in London, England and I am quite tired!
Mac Pro 5.1 supports Mojave out of the box.

GTX 680 is full metal compatible with 3.1 , 4.1 and 5.1

Last edited:

Flacko

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2018
UK

I have a similar setup as you and have run the GTX680 on the cMP4.1>5.1 with no problems. I would use Apple’s installer (from the App Store) for Mojave. No need to use the patcher. However, there are some configurations that can cause issues so let us know your actual configuration - cpu, Rom etc. Have a look at this thread:

Tyke666

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
As mentioned a few posts earlier, I have installed 10.14.6 using patcher version 1.3.7 on a Macbook Pro 5,2
Its *almost* running perfectly now. I have a couple of minor issues and one major issue - all seem to be around power management.
The one major issue I have: The machine instantly shuts down on occasion. This is an instant shutdown from fully working to completely off.
I have done the usual PRAM and SMC resets, re-applied patches etc but the problem persists. Also seen a couple of threads suggesting turning off power nap.
It seems to be much more common a short while after waking up from sleep.
While on the subject of sleep, I used to press the power button for a second and get a popup with shutdown options. This seems to disappear after first usage and when I press the sleep button on the popupthe machine starts to sleep and wakes instantly. The power button then no longer produces the popup options, but puts the machine to sleep instantly (or attempts to). Then I have to use the Apple menu to sleep the machine. It often wakes up instantly after pressing sleep (The screen goes black for a second then immediately comes back on - still logged in). It can take 2 or 3 attempts to get it to sleep properly.
That I can live with, but the full shutdowns are a real pain. The most annoying thing about this reset is that Spotlight sometimes seems to lose its index, including Outlook search so that I can't search my emails for hours till the index is rebuilt.

It never did this before the OS upgrade (From Sierra), but I realise it could be coincidental timing and may not be OS related.
Any suggestions very welcome.

hvds

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2017
Switzerland
As mentioned a few posts earlier, I have installed 10.14.6 using patcher version 1.3.7 on a Macbook Pro 5,2
Its *almost* running perfectly now. I have a couple of minor issues and one major issue - all seem to be around power management.
The one major issue I have: The machine instantly shuts down on occasion. This is an instant shutdown from fully working to completely off.
I have done the usual PRAM and SMC resets, re-applied patches etc but the problem persists. Also seen a couple of threads suggesting turning off power nap.
It seems to be much more common a short while after waking up from sleep.
While on the subject of sleep, I used to press the power button for a second and get a popup with shutdown options. This seems to disappear after first usage and when I press the sleep button on the popupthe machine starts to sleep and wakes instantly. The power button then no longer produces the popup options, but puts the machine to sleep instantly (or attempts to). Then I have to use the Apple menu to sleep the machine. It often wakes up instantly after pressing sleep (The screen goes black for a second then immediately comes back on - still logged in). It can take 2 or 3 attempts to get it to sleep properly.
That I can live with, but the full shutdowns are a real pain. The most annoying thing about this reset is that Spotlight sometimes seems to lose its index, including Outlook search so that I can't search my emails for hours till the index is rebuilt.

It never did this before the OS upgrade (From Sierra), but I realise it could be coincidental timing and may not be OS related.
Any suggestions very welcome.
I had these spontaneous shutdowns a while ago on my MBP5,2 17“.
Turned out to be a hardware fault: capacitor C7771 on the flip side of the logic board was broken, a common fault on that machine. Replaced it with @dosdude1‘s great help (he is very skilled in hardware AND software).
See post #11995.

Last edited:

Tyke666

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
I had these spontaneous shutdowns a while ago on my MBP5,2 17“.
Turned out to be a hardware fault: capacitor C7771 on the flip side of the logic board was broken. Replaced it with @dosdude1‘s great help (he is very skilled in hardware AND software).
See post (#11995).
I must admit, it does "feel" more like a hardware fault than a software fault. I'll start looking at whats involved in replacing C7771. Interestingly, the post number you put on your reply doesn't show to me, but pasting your quote here has revealed it as #11995 :)
Thanks again.

piimacmn

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2017
My iMac is a late 2009 11,1 with the HD replaced long ago with an SSD formatted to APFS. Been running HighSierra since it came out. About 2 weeks ago I decided to finally try to get to Mojave after following this forum since it started! All went well and system is 10.14.6 (18G1012). I'm happy with my system which has great features like an easy-to-get-to SD card slot, a DVD, and I can use my old Firewire disks ?. However, I noticed today that my ethernet isn't working and maybe hasn't for quite a while since I have been using wi-fi. I tested the cable and the ethernet port on my TC2 to my old white plastic macBook so I know the connection up to my iMac is good. I don't remember reading about ethernet problems, but this forum has a lot of entries! Anyone else with an 11,1 iMac or anyone who has had ethernet problems have any solutions/suggestions?

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
My iMac is a late 2009 11,1 with the HD replaced long ago with an SSD formatted to APFS. Been running HighSierra since it came out. About 2 weeks ago I decided to finally try to get to Mojave after following this forum since it started! All went well and system is 10.14.6 (18G1012). I'm happy with my system which has great features like an easy-to-get-to SD card slot, a DVD, and I can use my old Firewire disks ?. However, I noticed today that my ethernet isn't working and maybe hasn't for quite a while since I have been using wi-fi. I tested the cable and the ethernet port on my TC2 to my old white plastic macBook so I know the connection up to my iMac is good. I don't remember reading about ethernet problems, but this forum has a lot of entries! Anyone else with an 11,1 iMac or anyone who has had ethernet problems have any solutions/suggestions?

Since you haven't used your ethernet for a while it most likely the hardware issue. Can be just a corrosion from the moisture in the air. Unplug/Plug back in your cable a few times and try again.

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
Late '09 iMac 10,1 here. I only use Ethernet (WiFi turned off), which works fine with 10.14. Apart from cleaning cable contacts and iMac and router ports with power off (I use CRC Contact Cleaner on QTip not sprayed directly taking care not to snag the cotton. 91% Isopropyl alcohol will do also, giving it a little time to dry completely. But definitely don't use the 70%, as it contains too much water), have you tried an SMC Reset? (Original instructions for Macs of this vintage said to hold power button in for 15 seconds during unplugged part of sequence, which I still like to do.)

Last edited:

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Security updates are never a part of the full installer. They must be installed separately.
I got it figured out, SU wasn’t working because if the Raid I think, I setup a usb SSD got it up to date and then cloned it to my HFS Raid 0. I’m getting 350 Write and 490 Reads with this raid pretty consistently. I’m happy with it. I’ve recently discovered the joys of Raid 0. Really put a half step extra in this Mid 2010 MB.

hvds

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2017
Switzerland
On my MPB5,2 (mid 2009) quite a while ago Ethernet stopped working. I vaguely recall it was after our Internet provider gave us a new router, but may also have been after a macOS upgrade.
I had to change as follows in system settings -> network -> ethernet -> further options -> hardware: away from automatic, to manual, 100baseTX, half duplex. Apparently the cabling in our house, or the ethernet interface in the old MBP, is not good enough for higher speed.

jdmc

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2018
I noticed today that my ethernet isn't working and maybe hasn't for quite a while since I have been using wi-fi. [...] anyone who has had ethernet problems have any solutions/suggestions?
Open Terminal and try this command:

/usr/libexec/firmwarecheckers/ethcheck/ethcheck --integrity-check

If it results in an error message, try taking the unit to a Genius Bar and having them re-flash the Ethernet driver firmware.

AlexK1954

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2018
But note that you'll continue to see the annoying little '1' badge on the settings and update icons.

Hi try this : defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0

It works for me. Of course if you run the software update which will search for updates the "badge" will come back. You run again the command and that's it.

Cheers Alex

Thanks to @dosdude1 we have our rather old machines working......

alphascorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2018
Brest, France
Hi try this : defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0

It works for me. Of course if you run the software update which will search for updates the "badge" will come back. You run again the command and that's it.

Cheers Alex

Thanks to @dosdude1 we have our rather old machines working......

Hi @AlexK1954
In order to prevent the red badge coming back after next updates searches (automatic or manual) try this:

Code:
defaults delete com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate LatestMajorOSSeenByUserBundleIdentifier

For those who still have the red badge and have not read my message #17718 here is the complete code to copy/paste:

Code:
sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina";
defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist LastRecommendedMajorOSBundleIdentifier;
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0;
killall Dock;
defaults delete com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate LatestMajorOSSeenByUserBundleIdentifier;
softwareupdate --list

Last edited:

Argyboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Apologies for this lazy post, but I'm sitting looking at the security update 2019-001 and wondering if anyone running a Mac Pro 3,1 on Mojave had any issues with installing this update. Any pitfalls to be aware of? Thanks in advance!

Flacko

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2018
UK
Apologies for this lazy post, but I'm sitting looking at the security update 2019-001 and wondering if anyone running a Mac Pro 3,1 on Mojave had any issues with installing this update. Any pitfalls to be aware of? Thanks in advance!
No problem on my cMP3.1. However, you will have to be prepared to patch afterwards so have the latest USB Patcher to hand.

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
Reposting from post of 11/18, which produced no replies. Basically want to know if the completely non-functioning Recovery Mode center panel is normal, and perhaps an explanation (please see the EDIT) as to why tmutil listlocalsnapshots / returns "command not found." (Likewise, no output from recovery partition mounted (but not booted to) with diskutil mount /dev/disk/2s3 (the APFS recovery partition):

>>"Re. booting to the Recovery Partition: First, I realize that booting to the USB Installer makes getting to the recovery partition mostly unnecessary. (Mostly unnecessary, since, if I use Terminal in the USB Installer, how can I point commands to the appropriate Mojave volume? I would assume that running Terminal from the recovery partition of a particular volume does this automatically.)

I have installed the MojaveRecoveryFix.sh, kindly provided by TimothyR734, here, which works for the APFS volume I use for updates, and the Recovery Partition Patch for the HFS+ volume I mostly rely on.

However, when I boot to recovery mode for either of these volumes, I find that the main window (center), which includes MacOS Utilites, Restore TM Backup, Reinstall, Get Help Online, and DU, are all non-functional. Clicking on any of them does nothing at all, including the red close button. Only Startup Security Utility, Network Utility, and Terminal are available and functioning. (Restart and select startup drive appear to be working as well.)

I am curious to know if this is normal behavior? If not, can anyone suggest a proper fix?

EDIT: just booted to the recovery partition of the APFS volume to run "tmutil listlocalsnapshots /" and was greeted by "command not found." Same for "man tmutil", which produces a "not found." Any possible explanation for this?"

Last edited:

wire_

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2019
I'm using latest (as of today) Mojave on a Mac Pro 3,1 with a GTX680 under APFS, and generally things work very well. I'm super grateful for the patcher and all the great work here.

I'm looking for clues about poor performance of Parallels 14 (14.1.3) virtual machines, both Linux and Windows, under this regime. My VMs are insanely compute bound and glacially slow, like a key operation is taking 10 or a 100 times as long as it should. I say compute bound, because the VM CPU indicator goes on full for minutes at a time when the system is just doing housekeeping, but I suspect the hangup is connected with I/O. E.g., after a boot, the VM crawls as the guest does its chores. After being allowed to rest, it becomes usable, barely. Simple GUI stuff has poor response, like how it feels when you use screen sharing over a slow connection.. Yet purely compute activities like a GIMP filter seem to run about normal.

I've scoured the Parallels forums, and the web in general for clues and coming up empty-handed. Seen some complaining about very poor Parallels performance on Mojave back around 10.14.3 or so, but no resolutions, as if maybe it go fixed by a MacOS point release?

Anyone else using Parallels on legacy Macs seeing bad performance?

Suggestions for how to investigate what's holding things up?

TIA

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Reposting from post of 11/18, which produced no replies. Basically want to know if the completely non-functioning Recovery Mode center panel is normal, and perhaps an explanation (please see the EDIT) as to why tmutil listlocalsnapshots / returns "command not found." (Likewise, no output from recovery partition mounted (but not booted to) with diskutil mount /dev/disk/2s3 (the APFS recovery partition):

>>"Re. booting to the Recovery Partition: First, I realize that booting to the USB Installer makes getting to the recovery partition mostly unnecessary. (Mostly unnecessary, since, if I use Terminal in the USB Installer, how can I point commands to the appropriate Mojave volume? I would assume that running Terminal from the recovery partition of a particular volume does this automatically.)

I have installed the MojaveRecoveryFix.sh, kindly provided by TimothyR734, here, which works for the APFS volume I use for updates, and the Recovery Partition Patch for the HFS+ volume I mostly rely on.

However, when I boot to recovery mode for either of these volumes, I find that the main window (center), which includes MacOS Utilites, Restore TM Backup, Reinstall, Get Help Online, and DU, are all non-functional. Clicking on any of them does nothing at all, including the red close button. Only Startup Security Utility, Network Utility, and Terminal are available and functioning. (Restart and select startup drive appear to be working as well.)

I am curious to know if this is normal behavior? If not, can anyone suggest a proper fix?

EDIT: just booted to the recovery partition of the APFS volume to run "tmutil listlocalsnapshots /" and was greeted by "command not found." Same for "man tmutil", which produces a "not found." Any possible explanation for this?"

Reveal to me your TM Preferences just like this:

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 10.04.37 am.png

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
Not using time machine: Maybe a case of my still limited understanding of APFS, but I thought that when using CCC (or perhaps not even CCC, but no time machine, that APFS inherently creates local snapshots.) But could be that CCC isn't creating snapshots -- if CCC is necessary for snapshot creation -- because it can see that this is a rotational disk, not an SSD. In any case still a bit puzzled that running "tmutil listlocalsnapshots /" produces command not found, as well as the recovery partition center panel missing any functional items. Wonder if the Patcher version of the recovery partition is limited in this regard, and this is to be expected.

And, even if there were no local snapshots present, would think that command would at least be recognized. But maybe that's not the case when no snapshots are present.

>>"CCC and Time Machine are both capable of creating snapshots on a given APFS volume."

https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/leveraging-snapshots-on-apfs-volumes

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.