Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
How is macOS Mojave Security Update 2021-005 on

- 2006 MBP 15"
- 2007 iMac 20"
- 2008 MBP 15"
- 2010 MBP 13"
- 2011 MBP 13"
Mojave will not run at all (despite OCL/dosdude) on 2007 and most '08 "blackback" imacs, and you wouldn't want to anyway, as these machines are generally too slow (with a pair of 2gb DDR2 ram generally being about the best you can hope for when finding one of these for sale). In my experience, 07s and 8s are able to run El Capitan, but probably should stick with Yosemite if possessing only 2gb of ram. As always, do not run APFS boot-volumes off rotational drives (so use CCC5 to clone Mojave installs into regular MacOS extended-journaled partitions).

Reactions: sack_peak

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Mojave will not run at all (despite OCL/dosdude) on 2007 and most '08 "blackback" imacs, and you wouldn't want to anyway, as these machines are generally too slow (with a pair of 2gb DDR2 ram generally being about the best you can hope for when finding one of these for sale). In my experience, 07s and 8s are able to run El Capitan, but probably should stick with Yosemite if possessing only 2gb of ram. As always, do not run APFS boot-volumes off rotational drives (so use CCC5 to clone Mojave installs into regular MacOS extended-journaled partitions).
Thank you for feedback on quality of life experience of using Mojave on 2007 & 2008 Macs.

Back in the 90s PC games stated min requrements for games was a 486 + 8MB RAM but the experience was junkie.

boninmi

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2011
Ardèche
I installed Mojave with the dosedude patch on my early 2009 iMac 20" NVDIA GeForce 9400 graphic card on an external disk.
The backlight is a little too dark, and the Monitor Panel has luminosity at the max and does not change anything anyway.
I tried to force rebuilding the patches, but it is no way. No Backlight Control Patch seems avalaible.
Trying to use OCLP, I got a message of corrupted installer while using a new USB drive 32 GB and the installer obtained withe dosedude patcher. Mojave is not avalaible on OCLP patcher.
Is there something else to do or do I accept the situation as it is ? Sorry if the issue as been already mentioned in a post up there.

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I tried to force rebuilding the patches, but it is no way.
Force rebuilding the caches?

I have to say that my Late 2008 unibody MacBook with the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M is just keep getting better running Mojave on HDD(HFS+). Recently I was even able to watch a YouTube video at 1080p60. Unfortunately I don't have experience with an Early 2009 iMac but it should have similar hardware.

boninmi

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2011
Ardèche
Force rebuilding the caches?

I have to say that my Late 2008 unibody MacBook with the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M is just keep getting better running Mojave on HDD(HFS+). Recently I was even able to watch a YouTube video at 1080p60. Unfortunately I don't have experience with an Early 2009 iMac but it should have similar hardware.
Rebuilding the patches (not the caches) is said in the dosedude document in case of incorrect working .
Mojave works correctly on my iMac, it is only this luminosity issue that is not well. It seems there was a patch for it in the High Sierra version, there is none in the Mojave version.

Mad Kat

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
Italia
guys a courtesy
why after installing mojave + patch, when I restart it returns me to USB mode instead of the OS configuration startup screen?
If I'm not mistaken I had changed something in terminal but I don't remember how to reset the boot mode

if I inserted a USB as priority try to go to external not to installed SSD...
I explained myself very badly but I'm sure you understood

thank you so much

Mad Kat

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
Italia
I also wanted to ask you two things, in addition to the problem of automatic startup first from USB if inserted instead of the internal SSD

regarding updates it tells me that there is: safari 14.1.2 and security 2021-05, in the case of both, then do I have to reinstall patches from USB with cache forcing?

I should then upgrade to Sonora (since it offers it to me or I'll stop)

p.s. imac 24 from 2008 with ssd and 4gb ram, 3.06 duo processor, geforce 8800 gs

thank you with all my heart

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
To this day, I have yet to find a way to adequately install (or, ideally, clone from a kosher external drive) Mojave onto a "silverback"-era (2009-2011) dvd-model iMac, and by "adequately", I mean that ALL of the following have to work or be satisfied:

* audio enabled
* wifi enabled
* hardware-acceleration enabled
* video drivers work w/correct colors
* at-rest memory usage not greater than 3gb ram
* machine doesn't run hot

-- If anyone has discovered a procedure for these specific machines that doesn't require upgrading hardware, please post it.

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
p.s. imac 24 from 2008 with ssd and 4gb ram, 3.06 duo processor, geforce 8800 gs
thank you with all my heart
That's a decent machine, and everytime a user kills off mountains of fantastic 32bit legacy software in order to stuff on Apple's latest 24/7 telemetry OS -- a demon gets its wings.

(Q. What's the oldest version of the MacOS that will run all of: AdobeCS6, Final Cut 7, Logic Pro 9, LibreOffice, and Rosetta? ...because that's the one you really want on these machines, and it probably runs like greased lightning in 2gb of ram from a half-dead spinner drive.)

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
To this day, I have yet to find a way to adequately install (or, ideally, clone from a kosher external drive) Mojave onto a "silverback"-era (2009-2011) dvd-model iMac, and by "adequately", I mean that ALL of the following have to work or be satisfied:

* audio enabled
* wifi enabled

-- If anyone has discovered a procedure for these specific machines that doesn't require upgrading hardware, please post it.
I've used dosdude's patcher on some of these:
* audio enabled
> No problem with Audio for anything I've tried.
* wifi enabled
> No problem her either.
> Depends on the GPU.
> Depends on the GPU.
> I don't even get that on my Mac Studio. Mac OS has always been memory hungry. Every version requires more memory than the last (well, Snow Leopard may have been better than Leopard, but that's about it).
> I've never used any metal Intel iMac that didn't run super hot on the back. This is even more true for anything that's running an OS that wasn't made to support the hardware. However, one of the functions of the aluminum chassis on all Macs is to drawl out some of the heat. That being said, Metal Intel iMacs are like tiny space heaters.

I may not be trying the specific models you are, but the patcher has worked great for me. The only exception is the AMD 5xxx / 6xxx GPUs. This is due to the fact that these GPUs have a lot of physical issues, and their drivers were difficult to get working, so between both of those problems, dosdude didn't want to put the extended effort into getting them working (if you were even possible).

One of the important things you need to do is go back into the patched installer AFTER the OS finishes installing, then run all the proper patches.

Also, it would be impossible to clone a vanilla install of Mac OS onto an unsupported machine, and get it booted without running the patches, as the patched drivers need to be installed. I have, however, cloned one won identical machine to another, and had no issues booting it. I've also cloned a vanilla install, then booted it directly into the USB patcher, ran the appropriate patches, and was up and running. I used carbon copy cloner to do this, and made sure the options were said to make a bootable clone. I don't remember specifically which computers I did this on, other than I know I've done it with a 2011 MacBook Pro. So there may be some issues regarding booting APFS on machines that didn't support APFS in firmware. However, Mojave can still boot HFS+.

Not sure if any of this helps you.

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
I've used dosdude's patcher on some of these:
* audio enabled
> No problem with Audio for anything I've tried.
* wifi enabled
> No problem her either.
> Depends on the GPU.
* video drivers work w/correct colors....

....Not sure if any of this helps you.
To be more clear, I've yet to see or hear of Mojave working correctly (in all the ways I listed) on an unmodified silverback imac. Trying to upgrade a video-card on one of these things is cost-prohibitive at this point...and frankly I am a little disappointed at the apparent lack of interest in forking the MacOS (or a Linux chameleon geared to natively run Mac apps), especially now that Apple has artificially obsolescenced intel and32bit. (Can you imagine a debloated MacOS that ran in 1gb of ram? *Most* of MacOS's memory footprint these days is bloat and "telemetry" AKA spying.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Greetings everyone

I have just finished installing Mojave on a drive in my cMP3,1 and am confused by the list of patches in the Post Install tool. It's been several years since I installed a dosdude patched system so I've forgotten the details of how it works.

Is it correct that I can boot off the installer USB at a later point and run the Post Install tool to tick/untick patches not previously installed? Or is the selection of patches "fixed" at the time of installation so that I must choose wisely then?

Thank you immensely
Philip

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I will answer my own question. It seems possible to apply patches not previously installed by booting off the installer USB and running the Post Install tool. I say this because Collin @dosdude1 writes:

After applying ANY system update via Software Update, re-applying post-install patches using your Mojave Patcher installer volume will most likely be necessary. If you install a software update and the system fails to boot afterwards, this is what needs to be done.

I suppose this should mean that it would be possible also to tick patches which weren't installed at the time of installation.

Incidentally Mojave runs really well on a cMP3,1.

Greetings everyone

I have just finished installing Mojave on a drive in my cMP3,1 and am confused by the list of patches in the Post Install tool. It's been several years since I installed a dosdude patched system so I've forgotten the details of how it works.

Is it correct that I can boot off the installer USB at a later point and run the Post Install tool to tick/untick patches not previously installed? Or is the selection of patches "fixed" at the time of installation so that I must choose wisely then?

Thank you immensely
Philip

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.