Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Jesse_Bassett

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2021
Inver Grove Heights, MN
problems are often weird :)
I suggest you use the 'modern' way of patching with opncore legacy patcher.
I am running Ventura on a 9.1
@Hugosnel ,
That is my ultimate goal with this imac. However I keep running into a strange problem when trying to install windows 10 from a USB drive. It pops out a "DriverPNPWatchdog" error message. I do not know what to do to get around it? The reason I am asking for a little advice on this is because before I go to setting up ventura on my imac 9,1 I want to have windows10 installed dual-boot

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Hoping someone might have correct information for me regarding Time Machine & Recovery Partition on my 2010 Macbook Pro 17" i7. MBP6,1. I'm not new to this, however I may have had been confused in the past regarding what is what in relation to Rcvoery and Backup on these machines. After reading @dosdude1 Mojave page, I believe this machine can use the recovery partition on APFS as intended from the factory. Is this assumption correct? I use this machine almost daily, but mostly in Windows Bootcamp.

With that being said;

Will the recovery partition function as intended?
Will Time Machine function as intended?
Will my Bootcamp partition function as intended?

Basically, I want this machine to function as intended after installing the Mojave update by Dosdude. I have installed just Mojave on this machine in the past and that worked fine, albeit slightly warmer than usual (I use macfancontrol to help with that). Should something happen, I want to use time machine to revert. If that can't fix something, I want to be able to use the recovery partition.

Thank you!

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Hoping someone might have correct information for me regarding Time Machine & Recovery Partition on my 2010 Macbook Pro 17" i7. MBP6,1. I'm not new to this, however I may have had been confused in the past regarding what is what in relation to Rcvoery and Backup on these machines. After reading @dosdude1 Mojave page, I believe this machine can use the recovery partition on APFS as intended from the factory. Is this assumption correct? I use this machine almost daily, but mostly in Windows Bootcamp.

With that being said;

Will the recovery partition function as intended?
Will Time Machine function as intended?
Will my Bootcamp partition function as intended?

Basically, I want this machine to function as intended after installing the Mojave update by Dosdude. I have installed just Mojave on this machine in the past and that worked fine, albeit slightly warmer than usual (I use macfancontrol to help with that). Should something happen, I want to use time machine to revert. If that can't fix something, I want to be able to use the recovery partition.

Thank you!
You will have to follow manual guide by jackluke on page 415 of this thread to fix the APFS recovery. I can boot into Mojave APFS recovery on my MacBook5,1 and believe Time Machine and Bootcamp should work as expected but I haven't used them that much to be honest.

zntxrr

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2023
Hey folks,

I am about to install Mojave on my iMac Early 2008 (2,8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 8800).

Would Mojave be my best choice of OS, compared with Catalina and High Sierra? The iMac will mainly be used for web browsing and watching streamed video.

Will the internal Wifi (AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x8C)) work? Else, what wifi usb dongle would work?

Thanks a lot, looking forward to get this going!

Perezx

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2019
Moscow, Russia
With only 4Gb of RAM I advice you to stay on El Capitan. Especially if you have HDD. Otherwise, choose Monterey or even Ventura. I've tried Monterey on 6Gb RAM and SSD - works pretty fine, although the fresh-loaded OS consumes 4.5Gb (as well as Mojave)

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Hey folks,

I am about to install Mojave on my iMac Early 2008 (2,8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 8800).

Would Mojave be my best choice of OS, compared with Catalina and High Sierra? The iMac will mainly be used for web browsing and watching streamed video.

Will the internal Wifi (AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x8C)) work? Else, what wifi usb dongle would work?

Thanks a lot, looking forward to get this going!
I ran Mojave on my MacBook Air 2010 (with a patcher) from 2019 to late 2022
the reason I went back to the ElCaps and Sierra was the internets was slowing down the MBA
seems to me that web developers are designing for later OS and I noticed this last autumn.
Mojave is still great and I prefer that OS over Monterey which I love as well on the other MacBook a Pro.

High Sierra is okay but has annoying reminders such as "You Have Not Time Machined this in 10 Days"
were I need to dig up how to turn that off, and photo™ is just a memory hogger on HSierra.
there are other annoyances with high Sierra and this OS also drains battery life more than the previous 2 OSxs

My advice is just find an OS that works well with the MacBook.
But El Captain and even Sierra are losing any luster to run websites in 2023
I know Firefox and other browsers may bee better but we do prefer safari over these.

Now I need to know why my beloved MacBook 2010 is not waking up after a nice sleep-ful night today.

madmac66

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2013
Hi folks. I’m currently trying to install Mohave onto my MacPro 3,1. Downloaded the latest patcher and OS and built the patched USB installer all as described on the webpage and the YouTube instructional video.

MacPro 3,1 2x2.8ghz quad Xeon, El Cap 10.11.6 on SSD, blank SSD partition ready for Mohave, 32BG RAM, ATI XT stock GPU, GTX760 non-flashed GPU

I’m booting from the usb patched installer and it’s taking a REALLY long time - 30 mins for progress bar to get to end - then it just sits there for another 30 mins and does nothing. Forced shut down once, cleared NVRAM and tried again. Same result.

Is this normal, should I just wait it out. Otherwise, what went wrong, how to troubleshoot?

madmac66

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2013
hi,

i have a Mac Pro 3,1 with a maybe unusual GPU configuration of GTX 760 (non Mac ROM) + HD 2600 XT (Apple), which worked fine in Sierra.

i installed Mojave with dosdude1's patcher. i included the legacy video card patch, because without it the system would hang on the boot progress bar and i read that the HD 2600 XT needs it.

now i am able to boot just fine, but i get no video out of the GTX 760. if i understood correctly, this card should be supported... is it not? or is the legacy video card patch interfering with it?

edit:
reinstalled without the legacy video card patch, removed the HD 2600 XT from the machine and now it's working. no boot menu of course but that's ok :)
Thanks for posting that. I have the exact same set up you. I leave my XT in for whenever I might need Recovery Mode or something. Otherwise it is disconnected from monitors. Did you have to do a complete reinstall or could you just remove the legacy video card patch?

I’m trying to get Mohave installed for two days now. Did you install with the XT to get to the boot picker, then remove after install completes?

Thanks

junoreactor

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2019
Very frequent crashes on 10.14.6
Code:
Identifier:            softwareupdated
Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries
DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES=/usr/local/lib/SUVMMFaker.dylib
Dyld Error Message:
  could not load inserted library '/usr/local/lib/SUVMMFaker.dylib' because image not found
Help?

Along with this in system.log. again and again...
Code:
Mar 24 08:50:27 Junos-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.softwareupdated): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.
Mar 24 08:50:37 Junos-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: Host-level exception raised: pid = 11900, thread = 0xbfc2f, exception type = 0xd, codes = { 25769803785 }, states = { 0 }
Mar 24 08:50:37 Junos-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.softwareupdated): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.
Mar 24 08:50:47 Junos-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: Host-level exception raised: pid = 11902, thread = 0xbfc33, exception type = 0xd, codes = { 25769803785 }, states = { 0 }
Mar 24 08:50:47 Junos-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.softwareupdated): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.
Mar 24 08:50:57 Junos-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: Host-level exception raised: pid = 11904, thread = 0xa9787, exception type = 0xd, codes = { 25769803785 }, states = { 0 }

ReportCrash was running so much, eating CPU, possibly every time after this crashed, that I had to disable it, but the underlying issue remains.

Last edited:

jabbo5150

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2012
I have a late 2011 MackBook Pro I-5 that I just got a SSD for and a new battery. Have not installed either yet. It runs pretty great on High Sierra. Just trying to extend its life (I am typing this message on a Mac Pro 1,1 running El Capitan...) I have maxed out the memory at 16GB. is it worth going to Mojave? it is my understanding that it is the last OS that will support my 32-bit applications, some of which I still have and would not like to lose functionality for.

madmac66

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2013
I have a late 2011 MackBook Pro I-5 that I just got a SSD for and a new battery. Have not installed either yet. It runs pretty great on High Sierra. Just trying to extend its life (I am typing this message on a Mac Pro 1,1 running El Capitan...) I have maxed out the memory at 16GB. is it worth going to Mojave? it is my understanding that it is the last OS that will support my 32-bit applications, some of which I still have and would not like to lose functionality for.
From the little experience I've had with a patched Mojave its pretty great. I like it a lot. Like you I'm trying to squeeze a little more life out of my MacPro before I'm forced to put it out to pasture. I was hoping to have a dual boot system Mojave/Big Sur.

The biggest issue I'm running into is finding software that will run on it. Unless you have installers from that era it seems things get very unreliable. I guess understandably so. I have yet to get any available Adobe CC apps to install properly. There are no offline installers available from that era and the current ones wont work, so its a huge grey area. Cubase seems to work so far and most VSTs. Like you I have a lot of 32bit apps I still rely on, mostly VSTs that my music depends on. At some point it will all have to come to an end but like you just trying to hold onto the glory days with my fingertips.

Time for a cheap ass mac mini, the new pros are stupid money.

good luck

madmac66

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2013
Very frequent crashes on 10.14.6
Code:
Identifier:            softwareupdated
Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries
DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES=/usr/local/lib/SUVMMFaker.dylib
Dyld Error Message:
  could not load inserted library '/usr/local/lib/SUVMMFaker.dylib' because image not found
Help?

Along with this in system.log. again and again...
Code:
Mar 24 08:50:27 Junos-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.softwareupdated): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.
Mar 24 08:50:37 Junos-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: Host-level exception raised: pid = 11900, thread = 0xbfc2f, exception type = 0xd, codes = { 25769803785 }, states = { 0 }
Mar 24 08:50:37 Junos-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.softwareupdated): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.
Mar 24 08:50:47 Junos-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: Host-level exception raised: pid = 11902, thread = 0xbfc33, exception type = 0xd, codes = { 25769803785 }, states = { 0 }
Mar 24 08:50:47 Junos-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.softwareupdated): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.
Mar 24 08:50:57 Junos-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: Host-level exception raised: pid = 11904, thread = 0xa9787, exception type = 0xd, codes = { 25769803785 }, states = { 0 }

ReportCrash was running so much, eating CPU, possibly every time after this crashed, that I had to disable it, but the underlying issue remains.
Did you find a solution?

I had the same thing recently I tracked it down to Adobe DesktopSync. I deleted all instances to that and ReportCrash stopped eating CPU.

Yours looks like SoftwareUpdate, can you disable that in preferences?

ahihi

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2020
Thanks for posting that. I have the exact same set up you. I leave my XT in for whenever I might need Recovery Mode or something. Otherwise it is disconnected from monitors. Did you have to do a complete reinstall or could you just remove the legacy video card patch?

I’m trying to get Mohave installed for two days now. Did you install with the XT to get to the boot picker, then remove after install completes?

Thanks
im afraid i do not remember the details anymore. i am still running Mojave but have since switched to the RefindPlus/OpenCore setup described here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/refindplus-opencore-by-mybootmgr.2231693/

Reactions: madmac66

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I just experimented with a MacBook Air mid 2011 stopped at High Sierra, which runs ok after a new install some months back. It tried DosDude Catalina and it had issues with app signing and crashing. I went to Monterey using OCLP and that actually worked ok, but suffered from memory pressure due to only having 4GB of RAM.

I would certainly try the OCLP/Monterey on an add-on volume on your machine. With 16GB it should run well.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
HFS+ and APFS are different in terms of Recovery. I don't think dosdude1 have ever implemented a patch for an APFS recovery in his patcher, however a patch for the HFS+ has existed since Sierra patcher.
Both Mojave and Catalina use an AFS volume for recovery. The DosDude patch removes the boot check to allow it to booth without the NVRAM setting nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check" by patching one of the plists defining OS and board compatibility.
I am not sure, he add the Post Install patch app.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Ok, after Catalina failed on my MacBook Air Mid 2011 11", I built a DosDude Mojave installer and tried that. Its too nice to throw away and makes a for super-small machine. On first block, Mojave works as fast as High Sierra.
I have been trying to install the MacIOS 10.14.6 Supplemental and the SecUpd2021-005Mojave. but other fail - they do not apply to this machine.
Any suggestions on how to update?

--> Fixed!
I installed OCLP 0.4.3 and booted into the patched Mojave. The downloaded installers still showed the error, but the System Updater proceeded and installed the latest patch. It did hang on reboot. I tried rebooting without OCLP, but that also hung. I then reinstalled the patches from the DosDude USB installer and all was well. It showed the last Mojave rev matching the natively installed Mojave on my cMPro.

Last edited:

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Both Mojave and Catalina use an AFS volume for recovery. The DosDude patch removes the boot check to allow it to booth without the NVRAM setting nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check" by patching one of the plists defining OS and board compatibility.
I am not sure, he add the Post Install patch app.
Yes I believe that you are correct and the HFS+ Recovery patch also includes a part which is dealing with copying a prelinked kernel.
Dosdude has decided against implementing the APFS Recovery patch in his patchers and this is why I suggested to follow a manual guide which was kindly provided by jackluke.

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia

alphabeta997

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2023
Just recently used the Mojave Patcher on a Mac Mini 3,1 Late 2009 Model that I have upgraded, but Garageband Input will not work. I have tried the following:
-Selected My USB Audio Interface as the audio input and output in both the sound panel in System Preferences, and in Garageband Preferences Panel.
-Tried reinstalling the Legacy Audio Patch, as well as all the patches.
-Tried reinstalling Mojave again.
-Restarting the machine.
-Unplugging and replugging in my Audio Interface.

Is there any fix? It seems like I cannot find anything. I really want to use it, as El Capitan is not supported by modern apps. I mostly just use Garageband on my Mac, and that is my only mac at the moment.

The Audio output is working, because synth instruments work. And both audio and Input seem to be detected on the mac. But Garageband won't grab my input signal, so I can't play my guitar's or bass'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as Mojave is my favorite macOS, and I'd really like to keep using it.

paridedamessina

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2019
Just recently used the Mojave Patcher on a Mac Mini 3,1 Late 2009 Model that I have upgraded, but Garageband Input will not work. I have tried the following:
-Selected My USB Audio Interface as the audio input and output in both the sound panel in System Preferences, and in Garageband Preferences Panel.
-Tried reinstalling the Legacy Audio Patch, as well as all the patches.
-Tried reinstalling Mojave again.
-Restarting the machine.
-Unplugging and replugging in my Audio Interface.

Is there any fix? It seems like I cannot find anything. I really want to use it, as El Capitan is not supported by modern apps. I mostly just use Garageband on my Mac, and that is my only mac at the moment.

The Audio output is working, because synth instruments work. And both audio and Input seem to be detected on the mac. But Garageband won't grab my input signal, so I can't play my guitar's or bass'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as Mojave is my favorite macOS, and I'd really like to keep using it.
I don't know if this is the correct fix (so many variables with this problem) but here is a link of "non metal" apps including Garage Band version fully compatible with Mojave: https://archive.org/details/apple-apps-for-non-metal-macs I would give it a try...

dowser

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2008
Hi there, fellow obsolescence fighters.

First of all : thanks to Dosdude1 for building and updating this patch and to every one who contributed to the patch updating process.

Thanks to this thread, i managed put back to life a Macbook Pro 8,2 aka 15" early 2011 w/AMD RADEON HD 6490M.
I believe i allready have been thru more than 75% of the 122 pages of the thread about this models hacks to boot w/iGPU only.

I now have the last High Sierra build installed on a freshly unboxed SSD (ROM as been updated for APFS). MBP can’t shutdown/reboot, but it wakes from sleep.

Then i also read approximatively the same amount of stuff in this very thread and searched with various key words.
It seems that most people kept Mojave running non-final versions on the MBP2011 models.
My only option was to install Mojave 10.4.6 directly (on another SSD).

I now have all 4 backlight control buttons working, proper transparency, NighShift Enabled, DarkBoot tweak for reverse black & white Apple boot screen. No overheating whatsoever.

Sometimes, however, the system fails to reboot and i have to go thru SU mode to re-run the force-iGPU-boot script. Then before i type reboot, i can see some line appearing, about the Skylight framework (bla... bla... "ad-hoc signed").
On proper boot I can also see this line appearing in the middle of the verbose log (when it’s not going too fast). So i suspect this framework to be the problem leading to this failed boots.

Is there something i should do to definitely fix that framework ?

Last edited:

l008com

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
Perfect, page 794 of this thread, just where I wanted this post to go!!

So I've got me a Late 2009 iMac that's actually pretty peppy, so I'm trying to get it to a point where I can actually use it to do some web dev work. It can run BBEdit and a web browser very well. SSD, 10 GB of RAM, nvidia graphics etc etc.

So long story short, I was content running the latest supported OS on this Mac (10.13) but it was giving me never ending iCloud Keychain problems, and without my saved passwords, a computer is useless to me.

So I used Dosdude's hack and got 10.14 running on the iMac. It runs well. Exceptionally well in fact. You'd never know this were so old, except it's only dual core and it does often get CPU bottlenecked. I've been thinking about upgrading it to a Core2Quad but at the same time, it's probably not worth the effort.

ANWAY here is the problem. As well as this machine runs, it has one flaw. All audio coming out of it sounds like it's coming out of a 1970's clockradio. Minus the faux wood paneling. It's truly awful sounding. But this iMac has decent speakers. I rebooted into 10.10 just to make sure I wasn't imagining things and yup, music sounds fantastic on this Machine under normal circumstances. It's just in 10.14.6 that it sounds like pure garbage.

Is this just some random dosdude hack glitch? Is there any fix for it? Playing music is one of this machine's few duties in it's retirement, it would be nice if it worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.