Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MTBnBeer

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2015
If it's working for everyone, I may just release it via Patch Updater.

Backlight control patch (bkltpatch10.14.2) works perfectly on my 17" MacBookPro4,1 for its unique CCFL-based display system.

All of us using these "vintage" Macs will really appreciate it if you'd add this to macOS Mojave Patcher:
  • MacBook5,2
  • iMac7,1
  • iMac8,1
  • iMac9,1
  • MacBookPro4,1 (17" model only)

Last edited:

philk34

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2019
hi, I have a bug with my desktop background on my MP 3.1... I explain my JPG pictures that I chose is no longer displayed and are replaced by the background of mojave. When I open "Preferences system desktop /wallpaper" I have a question mark in the left square at the top ? i have the same problem with High Sierra… any issues ? Thanks

Reactions: TimothyR734

bluicebank

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
Southern California
Without much trouble I upgraded on my 3,1 from H-Sierra to Mojave. I really appreciate DosDude's considerable contribution, without which I'd still be on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 (which I still have, the most stable OS evah!).

However, as noted in this long thread, Nvidia's GeForce GT 120, 512 MB, flashed for the Mac, is glitchy. On my Mac, it's only problem seems to be flickering between red and blue, or rather magenta and cyan. That seems to be a simple fix, but I wouldn't know how. Switching the desktop picture to gray helps on the eyes.

But here's something strange: The original ATI Radeon HD 5000 works perfectly. I've kept this throughout the upgrades for its startup screen. I was under the impression that such an ancient, pre-metal card, would not work with Mojave. And since I no longer use graphics-heavy apps, I'm wondering why I even need bother replacing the GT120.

Flacko

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2018
UK
Without much trouble I upgraded on my 3,1 from H-Sierra to Mojave. I really appreciate DosDude's considerable contribution, without which I'd still be on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 (which I still have, the most stable OS evah!).

However, as noted in this long thread, Nvidia's GeForce GT 120, 512 MB, flashed for the Mac, is glitchy. On my Mac, it's only problem seems to be flickering between red and blue, or rather magenta and cyan. That seems to be a simple fix, but I wouldn't know how. Switching the desktop picture to gray helps on the eyes.

But here's something strange: The original ATI Radeon HD 5000 works perfectly. I've kept this throughout the upgrades for its startup screen. I was under the impression that such an ancient, pre-metal card, would not work with Mojave. And since I no longer use graphics-heavy apps, I'm wondering why I even need bother replacing the GT120.
Neither of these cards is a good fit for Mojave. The ATI HD5xxx series is a faster and more powerful card than the GT120 but if you look on page 1 it is not recommended by dosdude1 for Mojave. It will work sort of but there will be no acceleration. The GT120 may work better if you have applied the legacy video patch. However, my recommendation is to get yourself a metal capable card for the cMP3.1. The GTX680 is an excellent choice and there are many around with the Mac efi so you can get the boot screen. If you decide to go for this then do not apply the legacy video patch - the GTX680 will not like it!

mongorhead

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
hi all
tnx dosdude for the patch.

I got a problem and I don't recall when it started (I had it perfect, no issues at all and suddenly it all messed up. don't know why nor when...)

the problem: all ProRes videos appear with green glitches (in preview / quicktime but not on vlc - here it is perfect). all other codecs (h264, etc..) are ok. so this is something related to apple Pro codecs. (it even happens before any pro codec sys update)

Mac Pro 3.1, 28gb ram, Ati Radeon HD 2600.

I´ve already tried a fresh install and the problem persists.
am I doing something wrong? (all patches updated correctly, no issues. I enabled legacy video card patch)
all videos are fine on other Macs. so the problem is in my machine.

help anyone?
tnx in adv.

ps - img attached > screenshot quicktime player of a ProRes LT video. (as I said in vlc it appears perfect...)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 14.31.33.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 14.31.33.png
    729.8 KB · Views: 100

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
Re. preventing the red badge from appearing in software update, alphascorp wrote here:

>>In order to permanently prevent the red badge from coming back after each update search (automatic and/or manual)
Just add the following line to others:

Code:
defaults delete com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate LatestMajorOSSeenByUserBundleIdentifier

I would like to prevent the red badge returning when there is no real update available -- and you seem to be saying this is the case -- but just to confirm, will running that last line, as quoted, permanently disable any genuine automatic Software Update notifications? If so, that is something I wouldn't want.

In addition, what would be the command to reverse this?

Anyone else who's tried this or knows, please feel free to answer.

Last edited:

aflito

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2019
Backlight control patch (bkltpatch10.14.2) works perfectly on my 17" MacBookPro4,1 for its unique CCFL-based display system.

All of us using these "vintage" Macs will really appreciate it if you'd add this to macOS Mojave Patcher:
  • MacBook5,2
  • iMac7,1
  • iMac8,1
  • iMac9,1
  • MacBookPro4,1 (17" model only)
Indeed we would.

Also, not sure if something updated, just did a new installation on my imac9,1 and the white theme is working from scratch. without the need of patches like bluesky

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Indeed we would.

Also, not sure if something updated, just did a new installation on my imac9,1 and the white theme is working from scratch. without the need of patches like bluesky
Yep, the patch for that was added to the latest release of Mojave Patcher. I'll have the backlight control patch up on Patch Updater soon.

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
Replying to myself re. preventing the red badge from appearing in software update, above:

Before running full command for com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate.plist, from alphascorp as linked here:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>LatestMajorOSSeenByUserBundleIdentifier</key>
    <string>com.apple.InstallAssistant.Catalina</string>
    <key>ProductKeysLastSeenByUser</key>
    <array>
        <string>061-27901</string>
    </array>
</dict>
</plist>

And after:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>ProductKeysLastSeenByUser</key>
    <array>
        <string>061-27901</string>
    </array>
</dict>
</plist>

Running full command works, as expected (and hoped) to prevent recurrence of very annoying, waste of time SU badge after a manual check, and a restart, (had already set SU to ignore Catalina). But will now wait and see if this modification will prevent the notification from appearing unprompted (desired) when there is a genuine update: If the badge doesn't appear unprompted for that one, I can always replace the modified with the original.

Last edited:

alphascorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2018
Brest, France
Re. preventing the red badge from appearing in software update, alphascorp wrote here:

>>In order to permanently prevent the red badge from coming back after each update search (automatic and/or manual)
Just add the following line to others:

Code:
defaults delete com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate LatestMajorOSSeenByUserBundleIdentifier

I would like to prevent the red badge returning when there is no real update available -- and you seem to be saying this is the case -- but just to confirm, will running that last line, as quoted, permanently disable any genuine automatic Software Update notifications? If so, that is something I wouldn't want.

In addition, what would be the command to reverse this?

Anyone else who's tried this or knows, please feel free to answer.

Hi @RK78
Sorry for the late response, the command to reverse this (which rewrite the line "LatestMajorOSSeenByUserBundleIdentifier" and the data: "com.apple.InstallAssistant.Catalina" in the file:
"~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate.plist")
Here is the command to simply copy/paste in Terminal
Code:
defaults write com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate LatestMajorOSSeenByUserBundleIdentifier com.apple.InstallAssistant.Catalina

Or do a Backup of the file: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate.plist in order to be able to restore it later

Last edited:

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
Thanks for this, salut et merci. Already did the backup, so have that ready to go if needed. But would still like to know if running the original commands, as you wrote them earlier, will permanently prevent notification of updates when they are genuinely available?

If this is the case, is it only possible to temporarily remove the very annoying red badge, which always reappears after a manual check, or restart, or certain amount of elapsed time (haven't yet determined how long)?

alphascorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2018
Brest, France
Thanks for this, salut et merci. Already did the backup, so have that ready to go if needed. But would still like to know if running the original commands, as you wrote them earlier, will permanently prevent notification of updates when they are genuinely available?

If this is the case, is it only possible to temporarily remove the very annoying red badge, which always reappears after a manual check, or restart, or certain amount of elapsed time (haven't yet determined how long)?

This only and permanently disables updates the Catalina upgrade notification. This will not prevent notification of Mojave updates when they become available. For proof, I made this manipulation in early October and this did not prevent to have the update notification to Safari 13.0.3 in October the 29.

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
This only and permanently disables updates the Catalina upgrade notification. This will not prevent notification of Mojave updates when they become available. For proof, I made this manipulation in early October and this did not prevent to have the update notification to Safari 13.0.3 in October the 29.
Excellent! Many thanks for this. Not only disables the Catalina notification (already set to ignore), but the red badge appearing after a manual check, or restart. Had already been using

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0; killall Dock

But this, being permanent, is much better.

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
At the risk of resurrecting an issue ... @ASentientBot, @dosdude1 and others. Did we ever get to the bottom of the double boot/double chime issue? It's not unique to Mojave. I'm running High Sierra unsupported and it's happening to me, but that thread has gone very quiet. I get the following: activate (empty) superdrive, chime, grey screen (no logo) for about 30secs, apfs patch scroll text, black screen again, superdrive, chime, grey screen no logo, apfs patch scroll text, grey screen with logo, then normal. Hard to tell when exactly it started - I started with Sierra unsupported, then through all the versions of High Sierra - sometime in there. As mentioned, it does eventually boot so it's more of a nuisance because booting takes about twice as long as it would otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: ASentientBot

Bruce Cassidy

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2019
Toronto
I have an early 2008 Mac Pro. I have been running dosdude1's patch for High Sierra for a year. Upon updating to Mohave today only one (my main) display shows up. The displays are identical and are fed by identical cables. Can't see the second display via the 'detect display' trick in system prefs. I need the second monitor for Logic. Ideas guys?

Do I need to go back to High Sierra? I have a Superduper backup but would like to avoid that if possible.

Mac Pro (Early 2008)
6 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 MB

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
I have an early 2008 Mac Pro. I have been running dosdude1's patch for High Sierra for a year. Upon updating to Mohave today only one (my main) display shows up. The displays are identical and are fed by identical cables. Can't see the second display via the 'detect display' trick in system prefs. I need the second monitor for Logic. Ideas guys?

Do I need to go back to High Sierra? I have a Superduper backup but would like to avoid that if possible.

Mac Pro (Early 2008)
6 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 MB
You need to upgrade the video card to a Metal-comaptible one (best option), or install the Legacy Video Card Patch.

Reactions: Bruce Cassidy

sgzadrian

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
Hi, I'm new on this but I was reading some post that it's not possible to use Mojave on the MBP 8,2 due to the AMD GPU, but mine it's still working perfectly and sadly I need the latest version on Xcode for some stuff, so... should I deactivate the GPU and update (Catalina is a option too in this case), stick to HS or go to Linux? Also if there's any option to don't fully deactivate the GPU but still update it will be nice to know

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Hi, I'm new on this but I was reading some post that it's not possible to use Mojave on the MBP 8,2 due to the AMD GPU, but mine it's still working perfectly and sadly I need the latest version on Xcode for some stuff, so... should I deactivate the GPU and update (Catalina is a option too in this case), stick to HS or go to Linux? Also if there's any option to don't fully deactivate the GPU but still update it will be nice to know
Is it possible to run a Catalina virtual machine in High Sierra?

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
At the risk of resurrecting an issue ... @ASentientBot, @dosdude1 and others. Did we ever get to the bottom of the double boot/double chime issue? It's not unique to Mojave. I'm running High Sierra unsupported and it's happening to me, but that thread has gone very quiet. I get the following: activate (empty) superdrive, chime, grey screen (no logo) for about 30secs, apfs patch scroll text, black screen again, superdrive, chime, grey screen no logo, apfs patch scroll text, grey screen with logo, then normal. Hard to tell when exactly it started - I started with Sierra unsupported, then through all the versions of High Sierra - sometime in there. As mentioned, it does eventually boot so it's more of a nuisance because booting takes about twice as long as it would otherwise.

What do you actually have selected in the System Preferences/Start-up Disk? Do you have only one partition?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.