Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Having installed an SSD in my MacBookPro5,1 last week, together with the apfs post-install patch, I've now upgraded it from High Sierra to Mojave. The installation was uneventful. I also installed the latest security update without issue and then re-installed the post-install patches.

I have a couple of issues though:

1. Sleep/wake - the laptop doesn't seem to sleep correctly. It will correctly turn on the screensaver, but later, when it should be going sleep the screen just goes black but the LED on the front doesn't pulse - it stays steady. It can't be woken from this state, so I have to do a hard shutdown. I've also seen at least one random shutdown, and a shutdown from "sleep".

2. When I click the APFS Boot prefpane icon, it first shrinks then crashes i.e. the whole System Preferences app crashes. The error is an uncaught exception
com.dosdude1.APFS-Boot-Selector v.1.1.0 (APFS Boot Selector)
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSRangeException', reason: '*** -[__NSCFConstantString substringFromIndex:]: Index 4 out of bounds; string length 0'
abort() called
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

I've seen other reports of sleep/wake issues - is there a consensus as to what the problem/fix is?

Maybe @dosdude1 could comment on the prefpane crash?

I've tried various things - resetting NVRAM, re-installing post-install patches, selecting the only internal bootable partition (EFI Boot) via the option key (although there's only one choice), selecting the startup disk in the startup disk prefpane. Incidentally, why is the startup disk displayed as Macintosh HD in the startup disk prefpane, but as EFI Boot when starting up with the option key?

Reactions: TimothyR734

shirsch

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2011
Burlington, VT
Incidentally, why is the startup disk displayed as Macintosh HD in the startup disk prefpane, but as EFI Boot when starting up with the option key?

Can't help you with the misbehavior, but I have been experiencing a similar name mismatch when starting with my Mojave patcher USB stick. When I build the stick on a current Macbook Pro it's called 'MojavePatcher137', but the EFI option boot screen insists on showing it as 'BaseSystem'. Where is that name coming from?

Tyke666

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
I have just noticed another issue with my Macbook Pro (5,2) 17":
It has dual GPUs (NVIDIA GeForce 9400M and NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT). I used to be able to switch between them in the energy saving preferences. It would need a logoff/logon to actually make the swap. Currently, if I logoff/logon the active GPU does not change. It does change however if I restart the machine completely. This is more inconvenient than anything serious. I can make the change if I need to use whichever GPU.

I looked back in this thread and saw some similar issues and fixes involving copying kexts from another version of the OS and setting the correct permissions. Would anyone be able to do a step-by-step process for doing this, saying where to find the kext files for the above GPUs. Note: I am happy to switch GPU by logging off and on again. I am not bothered about being able to do an immediate switch without logging out - I rarely use the higher performance GPU.

Shadow Demon

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2018
Having installed an SSD in my MacBookPro5,1 last week, together with the apfs post-install patch, I've now upgraded it from High Sierra to Mojave. The installation was uneventful. I also installed the latest security update without issue and then re-installed the post-install patches.

I have a couple of issues though:

1. Sleep/wake - the laptop doesn't seem to sleep correctly. It will correctly turn on the screensaver, but later, when it should be going sleep the screen just goes black but the LED on the front doesn't pulse - it stays steady. It can't be woken from this state, so I have to do a hard shutdown. I've also seen at least one random shutdown, and a shutdown from "sleep".

2. When I click the APFS Boot prefpane icon, it first shrinks then crashes i.e. the whole System Preferences app crashes. The error is an uncaught exception
com.dosdude1.APFS-Boot-Selector v.1.1.0 (APFS Boot Selector)
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSRangeException', reason: '*** -[__NSCFConstantString substringFromIndex:]: Index 4 out of bounds; string length 0'
abort() called
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

I've seen other reports of sleep/wake issues - is there a consensus as to what the problem/fix is?

Maybe @dosdude1 could comment on the prefpane crash?

I've tried various things - resetting NVRAM, re-installing post-install patches, selecting the only internal bootable partition (EFI Boot) via the option key (although there's only one choice), selecting the startup disk in the startup disk prefpane. Incidentally, why is the startup disk displayed as Macintosh HD in the startup disk prefpane, but as EFI Boot when starting up with the option key?

I have seen this behavior with my 5,1 when using 9400M (better battery life) with sleep/wake. The problem disappeared by switching to 9600M GT (better performance) using Energy Saver. So, I never went back as the problem also persists in Catalina. If you reset the PRAM, the video will revert back to the 9400M.

No problem with APFS since I upgraded the BootROM to boot natively.

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
I have seen this behavior with my 5,1 when using 9400M (better battery life) with sleep/wake. The problem disappeared by switching to 9600M GT (better performance) using Energy Saver. So, I never went back as the problem also persists in Catalina. If you reset the PRAM, the video will revert back to the 9400M.

No problem with APFS since I upgraded the BootROM to boot natively.
I've avoided the better performance setting in the past because it tended to ramp up my fans when doing the simplest things. I may give it another try.

I wasn't brave enough to try the BootROM flash once @dosdude1 said that it was likely to brick my laptop because it has an MCP79. Do you see the APFS Boot prefpane in SysPrefs? And, if so, what happens when you click it? I'm not even sure what it's for.

Shadow Demon

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2018
I've avoided the better performance setting in the past because it tended to ramp up my fans when doing the simplest things. I may give it another try.

I wasn't brave enough to try the BootROM flash once @dosdude1 said that it was likely to brick my laptop because it has an MCP79. Do you see the APFS Boot prefpane in SysPrefs? And, if so, what happens when you click it? I'm not even sure what it's for.
The pref pane is only installed with the post-install APFS patch so I always unselect it. Without the updated ROM. this pref pane replaces the Startup Disk pane.

The fans haven’t been too extreme but are going to run higher more often. Battery life is terrible due to both the operating system and the video. I only use the 5,1 plugged-in at home.

Reactions: TimothyR734 and avz

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
The pref pane is only installed with the post-install APFS patch so I always unselect it. Without the updated ROM. this pref pane replaces the Startup Disk pane.

The fans haven’t been too extreme but are going to run higher more often. Battery life is terrible due to both the operating system and the video. I only use the 5,1 plugged-in at home.

Yes, as much as I like the late-2008 aluminum 5,1 model, the rigid wall that separates hdd and user replaceable battery compartments severely reduce the air circulation inside the machine and makes it run very hot. My 2GHz MacBook5,1 runs much, much hotter than my 2,4GHz mid-2010 MacBookPro7,1. It seems that the internal layout of the aluminum enclosure is much more important for cool operation than merely CPU speed alone.

Shadow Demon

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2018
Yes, as much as I like the late-2008 aluminum 5,1 model, the rigid wall that separates hdd and user replaceable battery compartments severely reduce the air circulation inside the machine and makes it run very hot. My 2GHz MacBook5,1 runs much, much hotter than my 2,4GHz mid-2010 MacBookPro7,1. It seems that the internal layout of the aluminum enclosure is much more important for cool operation than merely CPU speed alone.
My MacBookPro 5,1 does seem to run cooler since I removed the DVD Drive and replaced with another SSD drive.

Reactions: TimothyR734 and avz

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Can't help you with the misbehavior, but I have been experiencing a similar name mismatch when starting with my Mojave patcher USB stick. When I build the stick on a current Macbook Pro it's called 'MojavePatcher137', but the EFI option boot screen insists on showing it as 'BaseSystem'. Where is that name coming from?
The EFI option boot screen (Startup Manager - when you hold option key at boot) can use an invisible file called .disk_label to change the name it shows for a boot option. The name you see could come from there.

The file can be created using the bless command with the -label option. It also creates a retina version called .disk_label_2x

The following function can show the contents of the .disk_label file (it's a grayscale bit map)
Code:
dump_label () { local contents=$(xxd -p -c99999 $1); echo ${contents:10} | perl -pe "s/(..)/\1 /g;s/00/../g;s/ //g;s/(.{$((0x${contents:2:4}*2))})/\1\n/g" ; }
Use it like this:
Code:
dump_label /Volumes/Catalina\ Boot/macOSCatalinaPatcher/.disk_label
It produces output like this:
Code:
................................................................................
................................................................................
........fa80faf7..............................2af9f6fa..........................
......feff80fcd6f9............8080............fafdf7fc..........................
....faff......55fb..fcffabf92ad6d6f9f9abfffc..fafd2aab..fefdffabf6..fcffabf9....
....fcfc..........55fff880fe..fdfdf6ff80f8d6f9fafdf8d6..d6abf9fffa55fff880fe....
....fcfd........f6f6fafbfeff..8080..f8fbfcd655fafdf8d6..d62a..fc80f6fafbfeff....
....fbd6......fbfefbd680fdff..8080..d6abfbd655fafdf8d6..d6f7..fc80fbd680fdff....
....2ad680f6f8d655fdfd..abff..80fc2ad62af9d655fafdf8d6..d6f7..fc80fdfd..abff....
......55fed6d6fc..f9d6d6fed6fa55d6faabd6d6fed6fafdf8ff..d6f7..fcfbf9d6d6fed6fa..
..........f7f6........f6..............f7....f6........................f6........
The result using the .disk_label_2x file is more easy to read:
Code:
................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................
....................2a2a2af6....................................................................................................................................
..............f7abd6d6d6d6d6fef8..............................................................fed6f9..fad6ab....................................................
............f8d6d6d6d6d6d6d6d6d655..........................f6d6d6f7..........................d6d655..fbd6ff....................................................
..........f6d6d6d6fc2a..f6fbd6d6d6f7........................f7d6d62a..........................d6d655..f8fcfb....................................................
..........fcd6d6fb..........80d6d6fb........f7f8f6..........2ad6d6f8..........f7f8f6..........d6d655....................f7f8f6..............f7f8f6..............
..........d6d6ff............f6ffd6fc....80ffd6d6d6ff80....fbd6d6d6d6fe....80ffd6d6d6ff80......d6d655..fad6fe....d6d6fbffd6d6d6fef6......80ffd6d6d6ff80..........
........2ad6d6fa......................fad6d6d6ffd6d6d6fb..fbd6d6d6d6fe..fad6d6d6ffd6d6d6fb....d6d655..fbd6ff....d6d6d6d6d6d6d6d6fd....fad6d6d6ffd6d6d6fb........
........f9d6d6f9......................fed6ab....f6ffd6ab....f7d6d62a....fed6ab....f6ffd6ab....d6d655..fbd6ff....d6d6d680..f6fed6ff....fed6ab....f6ffd6ab........
........55d6d62a......................80fdf8......abd6fe....f7d6d62a....80fdf8......abd6fe....d6d655..fbd6ff....d6d6fd......fad6d6f6..80fdf8......abd6fe........
........f8d6d6f8........................2afbfcabd6d6d6fe....f7d6d62a......2afbfcabd6d6d6fe....d6d655..fbd6ff....d6d655......f8d6d6f6....2afbfcabd6d6d6fe........
........f7d6d6fa..............fcfefd..fbd6d6d6d6d6d6d6fe....f7d6d62a....fbd6d6d6d6d6d6d6fe....d6d655..fbd6ff....d6d6f9......f8d6d6f6..fbd6d6d6d6d6d6d6fe........
..........d6d6fe............f7d6d6fdf6d6d6fffbf9f780d6fe....f7d6d62a..f6d6d6fffbf9f780d6fe....d6d655..fbd6ff....d6d6f9......f8d6d6f6f6d6d6fffbf9f780d6fe........
..........fdd6d6fa..........fcd6d655fad6d6f7......abd6fe....f7d6d62a..fad6d6f7......abd6fe....d6d655..fbd6ff....d6d6f9......f8d6d6f6fad6d6f7......abd6fe........
..........f7d6d6d6802a..2afcd6d6fe..fad6d655....80d6d6fe....f7d6d655..fad6d655....80d6d6fe....d6d655..fbd6ff....d6d6f9......f8d6d6f6fad6d655....80d6d6fe........
............55d6d6d6d6d6d6d6d6ff2a..2ad6d6d6ffd6d6d6d6d6fe....d6d6d6ab2ad6d6d6ffd6d6d6d6d6fe..d6d655..fbd6ff....d6d6f9......f8d6d6f62ad6d6d6ffd6d6d6d6d6fe......
..............f8fed6d6d6d6d6fdf6......fad6d6d6d6fef9fed6d6....fbd6d6ff..fad6d6d6d6fef9fed6d6..ffd6f9..fad6fe....d6d6f8......2ad6d6f6..fad6d6d6d6fef9fed6d6......
..................f6f8f92a..............f6f8f8f6......2af7......f6f6f6....f6f8f8f6......2af7............................................f6f8f8f6......2af7......
Of course, the dump_label function could be modified to create a bit map file (png or tiff) to view in Preview.app.

Ennev72

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2019
Installed the last update. After rebooting, I used the USB stick to install the dosdude post patcher. The system is restarted and now everything is OK.
Schermata 2019-12-12 alle 07.51.26.png

Dilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
Since all have already used the @dosdude1 patch to install Mojave previously in unsupported Macs. This time to update the security updates and safari update in Mojave ,just run software update and install these updates.
After the computer boots you may loose Siri, sound card for some. Don't panic do the following.

1. You should run the @dosdude1 patch updater which may be in your utilities folder.
2. Select re install all patches
3. Restart you Pc and you should get back your sound and Siri.
4. For any reason you don't get Siri,
replace Siri.app (by v146.15.3 of 18G103) in / System/ Library/ CoreServices and
replace SiriUI.Framework in /S/L/PrivateFrameworks/SiriUI.framework (by v146.12.3 of 18G103)
5. You may locate these in Catalina thread after doing a search.

You are good to go after that. ;)

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017

I've now switched to higher performance graphics and my system sleeps/wakes correctly. I suppose for completeness I should switch back to better battery life and see whether the problem returns. I rarely run on battery so may stick with higher performance. So far, my fans haven't ramped up at all but I haven't played any videos or anything graphics intensive.

@dosdude1's APFS Boot prefpane still crashes. I don't know what it's for but I would imagine it would be easy to fix, or at least prevent from crashing - it looks like it's trying to extract a substring from an empty string. Is it intended to list all bootable APFS partitions, a bit like Startup Disk does? If so, I'm not sure why it doesn't find my one and only internal APFS partition. My system boots perfectly from that using the apfs post-install patch.

shirsch

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2011
Burlington, VT
The EFI option boot screen (Startup Manager - when you hold option key at boot) can use an invisible file called .disk_label to change the name it shows for a boot option. The name you see could come from there.

The file can be created using the bless command with the -label option. It also creates a retina version called .disk_label_2x

The following function can show the contents of the .disk_label file (it's a grayscale bit map)
Code:
dump_label () { local contents=$(xxd -p -c99999 $1); echo ${contents:10} | perl -pe "s/(..)/\1 /g;s/00/../g;s/ //g;s/(.{$((0x${contents:2:4}*2))})/\1\n/g" ; }
Use it like this:
Code:
dump_label /Volumes/Catalina\ Boot/macOSCatalinaPatcher/.disk_label
It produces output like this:
Code:
........fa80faf7..............................2af9f6fa..........................
......feff80fcd6f9............8080............fafdf7fc..........................
....faff......55fb..fcffabf92ad6d6f9f9abfffc..fafd2aab..fefdffabf6..fcffabf9....
....fcfc..........55fff880fe..fdfdf6ff80f8d6f9fafdf8d6..d6abf9fffa55fff880fe....
....fcfd........f6f6fafbfeff..8080..f8fbfcd655fafdf8d6..d62a..fc80f6fafbfeff....
....fbd6......fbfefbd680fdff..8080..d6abfbd655fafdf8d6..d6f7..fc80fbd680fdff....
....2ad680f6f8d655fdfd..abff..80fc2ad62af9d655fafdf8d6..d6f7..fc80fdfd..abff....
......55fed6d6fc..f9d6d6fed6fa55d6faabd6d6fed6fafdf8ff..d6f7..fcfbf9d6d6fed6fa..
..........f7f6........f6..............f7....f6........................f6........
The result using the .disk_label_2x file is more easy to read:
Code:
....................2a2a2af6....................................................................................................................................
..............f7abd6d6d6d6d6fef8..............................................................fed6f9..fad6ab....................................................
............f8d6d6d6d6d6d6d6d6d655..........................f6d6d6f7..........................d6d655..fbd6ff....................................................
..........f6d6d6d6fc2a..f6fbd6d6d6f7........................f7d6d62a..........................d6d655..f8fcfb....................................................
..........fcd6d6fb..........80d6d6fb........f7f8f6..........2ad6d6f8..........f7f8f6..........d6d655....................f7f8f6..............f7f8f6..............
..........d6d6ff............f6ffd6fc....80ffd6d6d6ff80....fbd6d6d6d6fe....80ffd6d6d6ff80......d6d655..fad6fe....d6d6fbffd6d6d6fef6......80ffd6d6d6ff80..........
........2ad6d6fa......................fad6d6d6ffd6d6d6fb..fbd6d6d6d6fe..fad6d6d6ffd6d6d6fb....d6d655..fbd6ff....d6d6d6d6d6d6d6d6fd....fad6d6d6ffd6d6d6fb........
........f9d6d6f9......................fed6ab....f6ffd6ab....f7d6d62a....fed6ab....f6ffd6ab....d6d655..fbd6ff....d6d6d680..f6fed6ff....fed6ab....f6ffd6ab........
........55d6d62a......................80fdf8......abd6fe....f7d6d62a....80fdf8......abd6fe....d6d655..fbd6ff....d6d6fd......fad6d6f6..80fdf8......abd6fe........
........f8d6d6f8........................2afbfcabd6d6d6fe....f7d6d62a......2afbfcabd6d6d6fe....d6d655..fbd6ff....d6d655......f8d6d6f6....2afbfcabd6d6d6fe........
........f7d6d6fa..............fcfefd..fbd6d6d6d6d6d6d6fe....f7d6d62a....fbd6d6d6d6d6d6d6fe....d6d655..fbd6ff....d6d6f9......f8d6d6f6..fbd6d6d6d6d6d6d6fe........
..........d6d6fe............f7d6d6fdf6d6d6fffbf9f780d6fe....f7d6d62a..f6d6d6fffbf9f780d6fe....d6d655..fbd6ff....d6d6f9......f8d6d6f6f6d6d6fffbf9f780d6fe........
..........fdd6d6fa..........fcd6d655fad6d6f7......abd6fe....f7d6d62a..fad6d6f7......abd6fe....d6d655..fbd6ff....d6d6f9......f8d6d6f6fad6d6f7......abd6fe........
..........f7d6d6d6802a..2afcd6d6fe..fad6d655....80d6d6fe....f7d6d655..fad6d655....80d6d6fe....d6d655..fbd6ff....d6d6f9......f8d6d6f6fad6d655....80d6d6fe........
............55d6d6d6d6d6d6d6d6ff2a..2ad6d6d6ffd6d6d6d6d6fe....d6d6d6ab2ad6d6d6ffd6d6d6d6d6fe..d6d655..fbd6ff....d6d6f9......f8d6d6f62ad6d6d6ffd6d6d6d6d6fe......
..............f8fed6d6d6d6d6fdf6......fad6d6d6d6fef9fed6d6....fbd6d6ff..fad6d6d6d6fef9fed6d6..ffd6f9..fad6fe....d6d6f8......2ad6d6f6..fad6d6d6d6fef9fed6d6......
..................f6f8f92a..............f6f8f8f6......2af7......f6f6f6....f6f8f8f6......2af7............................................f6f8f8f6......2af7......
Of course, the dump_label function could be modified to create a bit map file (png or tiff) to view in Preview.app.

Thanks for the detailed explanation! But, that's more work than I'm interested in doing to fix a purely cosmetic issue. I may well have used 'BaseSystem' as the original volume name when I first installed the patcher (months back). Once set, it seems to remain permanent unless one wants to edit bitmap files.

rsmart111

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2019
I've tried methods here for Siri fixes and can't find one to work for my MacBook 5'2. please help I actually use Siri and I'm on the latest security update.

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
I've tried methods here for Siri fixes and can't find one to work for my MacBook 5'2. please help I actually use Siri and I'm on the latest security update.
Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 11.31.59 AM.png

[automerge]1576179506[/automerge]
! You need to disable Siri inSystem Preferences uncheck the box that's says enable Siri 2. Replace the Siri app in /System/Library/CoreServices folder. 3 Replace the SiriUI.framework in /System/Library/Private.frameworks folder. 4 Enable Sire in System Preferences

Attachments

• Siri.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 413
  • SiriUI.framework.zip
    8 MB · Views: 146
Last edited:

Tyke666

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
Same problem with Siri here. Running version 18G103. The files given are already in place on my system (17" Macbook Pro mid 2009 5,2) but Siri doesn't work (No animation and eventually says "Siri Audio Problem").

Last edited:

alphascorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2018
Brest, France
Same problem with Siri here. Running version 18G103. The files given are already in place on my system (17" Macbook Pro mid 2009 5,2) but Siri doesn't work (No animation and eventually says "Siri Audio Problem").

Hi,
Try this SiriUI.framework with Siri.app from @TimothyR734 #17,866
Please note, when copying select replace files, do not merge
Do not forget to modify the permissions with the Terminal commands "chmod" and "chown"

Code:
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/CorreServices/Siri.app
sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/CorreServices/Siri.app
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SiriUI.framework
sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SiriUI.framework

After rebooting, Siri should work with waveform

Attachments

• SiriUI.framework.zip
    7.8 MB · Views: 220

Tyke666

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
Thanks hvds, I'll give it a go. I had already found that post and entered the command, but not done a sleep just yet. I'll report if it works or not after some reasonable testing.
The note about the lid sensor was interesting, although if that's part of the problem it is on both the 5,2 Macbooks I have, as well as yours.

Regarding workround / fix:
sudo pmset -a darkwakes 0

I was optimistic that ths was working. Put the machine to sleep and waited a while. It woke up fine. However, leaving it asleep overnight didn't work. It had shut down with the usual message:
Stackshot Reason: Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while entering darkwake on way to sleep. Suspected bundle: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily. Thread 0x74.

I see threads on the Apple support forums that have mentioned this bug since the release of Mojave, and in some cases since High Sierra - on supported machines. I don't see a resolution on those threads for affected people. Very annoying for me but I would be really put out if my machine was supported!
(BTW: Also tried another workround - Notifications > Do Not Disturb > When Display Sleeping - which also made no difference in my case)

Just noticed another extremely irritating symptom of this bug. It appears that spotlight loses its index and starts again. This means I cant search in spotlight or (more annoyingly for me) Outlook mail messages. This doesn't happen on every crash as far as I can tell. I guess it just depends what the machine is really doing instead of sleeping when the crash occurs.

Ah well, I guess I will go back to shutting the machine down completely between uses and running Amphetamine to keep awake when in use. There is always the option of going back to Sierra, where none of this happens.

Last edited:

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Playing YT videos was causing my fans to ramp up so I've now switched back to better battery life on my MBP5,1 and it sleeps/wakes correctly. Go figure!

Still have the crashing APFS Boot prefpane though.

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding workround / fix:
sudo pmset -a darkwakes 0

I was optimistic that ths was working. Put the machine to sleep and waited a while. It woke up fine. However, leaving it asleep overnight didn't work. It had shut down with the usual message:
Stackshot Reason: Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while entering darkwake on way to sleep. Suspected bundle: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily. Thread 0x74.

I see threads on the Apple support forums that have mentioned this bug since the release of Mojave, and in some cases since High Sierra - on supported machines. I don't see a resolution on those threads for affected people. Very annoying for me but I would be really put out if my machine was supported!
(BTW: Also tried another workround - Notifications > Do Not Disturb > When Display Sleeping - which also made no difference in my case)

Just noticed another extremely irritating symptom of this bug. It appears that spotlight loses its index and starts again. This means I cant search in spotlight or (more annoyingly for me) Outlook mail messages. This doesn't happen on every crash as far as I can tell. I guess it just depends what the machine is really doing instead of sleeping when the crash occurs.

Ah well, I guess I will go back to shutting the machine down completely between uses and running Amphetamine to keep awake when in use. There is always the option of going back to Sierra, where none of this happens.
FYI, the issues I had with sleep/wake when I first upgraded to Mojave sound very similar - Stackshot Reason was the same. As I mentioned earlier, my issues resolved when I switched to better performance in the energy saver prefpane - and were still resolved when I switched back to better battery life. YMMV of course.

Tyke666

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
FYI, the issues I had with sleep/wake when I first upgraded to Mojave sound very similar - Stackshot Reason was the same. As I mentioned earlier, my issues resolved when I switched to better performance in the energy saver prefpane - and were still resolved when I switched back to better battery life. YMMV of course.
I can try that. One of the few remaining issues I have detailed a bit earlier in this thread is that I cannot switch to the better performance GPU by selecting it and logging out, like is supposed to happen. It only switches if I completely reboot the machine. I haven't had a suggested fix for that yet. Did you find the same or did yours switch properly on logoff without a full restart?

Reactions: hvds

VaZ

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2012
Weird just built a dosdude mojave usb patch stick this morning and it just re-installed version 10.14.6 (18G103) again. I thought a couple newer versions are out already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.