Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
I can try that. One of the few remaining issues I have detailed a bit earlier in this thread is that I cannot switch to the better performance GPU by selecting it and logging out, like is supposed to happen. It only switches if I completely reboot the machine. I haven't had a suggested fix for that yet. Did you find the same or did yours switch properly on logoff without a full restart?
I don't honestly know the answer, because after I'd logged out and back in, it still had the warning triangle saying I had to log out for the change to take effect. But I rebooted anyway.

Ennev72

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2019
Weird just built a dosdude mojave usb patch stick this morning and it just re-installed version 10.14.6 (18G103) again. I thought a couple newer versions are out already.

It is the version of September 29th

Reactions: VaZ

hvds

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2017
Switzerland
I can try that. One of the few remaining issues I have detailed a bit earlier in this thread is that I cannot switch to the better performance GPU by selecting it and logging out, like is supposed to happen. It only switches if I completely reboot the machine. I haven't had a suggested fix for that yet. Did you find the same or did yours switch properly on logoff without a full restart?
Now that you both mention it, that rings a bell. Thank you for the information.
At the time I was having the sleep/wake failure too frequently to continue working, I was trying out Catalina betas and switched often between Mojave and Catalina. Some relief came from resetting NVRAM and then switching to the 9600M GT GPU again (logout/login AND reboot required also in my case).
But after a while, often days, the problem came back.
Since Catalina release 10.15.0 I now use only Catalina. Also I'm always running with the 9600 GPU.
A little later I disconnected the magnet sensor cable mentioned earlier, because it still initiated hibernation for very short duration (seconds), which was also disturbing.
Anyway I didn't have any sleep/wake failure since almost two months now. Frankly I'm not 100% sure if that is due to Catalina or the disconnected faulty sensor.

(MBP5,2 17" mid 2009, 2.8GHz T9600, 8GB, APFS ROM patch applied, Samsung SSD 860 EVO with APFS. Catalina 10.15.2.)

fhturner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2007
Birmingham, AL & Atlanta, GA
Radeon HD 5xxx and 6xxx series cards don't work under Mojave (not to mention they are some defective garbage). Either get a Radeon HD 4xxx series iMac video card, or get a better nVidia PC MXM card to upgrade with.

Perhaps a dumb question here, but...

Since the patched installer and post-install tool is a critical part of the upgrade process, and since MXM card upgrades don't show the Boot Picker to choose the correct patched installer boot drive, what is the best/preferred method for getting both an MXM (say GTX 765M, since I've done those before) and Mojave (or Catalina for that matter) installed together on a 2011 iMac, short of just taking shots "in the dark"?

philk34

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2019
Hello, last security update installed without problem on Macpro 3.1 and after reinstalling Dosdude1 patches. Now running on Mojave 10.4.6 (18G2022) :)

Reactions: Argyboy

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
In the absence of a reply from @dosdude1 as to why my APFS Boot prefpane is crashing, maybe someone else can help shed some light. I've had a look at the source code for the Catalina version on his gitbub repo - the Mojave version isn't on github. Assuming they are similar, what it appears to be doing is simply parsing the output from /usr/sbin/diskutil, so it should be fairly easy, for someone who knows what to look for, to figure out why mine fails. It may be that there's something amiss with my disk layout. As I've said before, the reason it crashes is due to an unhandled exception when trying to extract a substring of an empty string.

Here's the output from diskutil list:
Code:
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk1         499.9 GB   disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +499.9 GB   disk1
                                 Physical Store disk0s2
   1:                APFS Volume Macintosh HD            198.3 GB   disk1s1
   2:                APFS Volume Preboot                 41.8 MB    disk1s2
   3:                APFS Volume Recovery                510.4 MB   disk1s3
   4:                APFS Volume VM                      5.4 GB     disk1s4

And here's the output from diskutil info /
Code:
   Device Identifier:         disk1s1
   Device Node:               /dev/disk1s1
   Whole:                     No
   Part of Whole:             disk1

Volume Name:               Macintosh HD
   Mounted:                   Yes
   Mount Point:               /

Partition Type:            XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX
   File System Personality:   APFS
   Type (Bundle):             apfs
   Name (User Visible):       APFS
   Owners:                    Enabled

OS Can Be Installed:       Yes
   Booter Disk:               disk1s2
   Recovery Disk:             disk1s3
   Media Type:                Generic
   Protocol:                  SATA
   SMART Status:              Verified
   Volume UUID:               XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX
   Disk / Partition UUID:     XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX

Disk Size:                 499.9 GB (499898105856 Bytes) (exactly 976363488 512-Byte-Units)
   Device Block Size:         4096 Bytes

Volume Total Space:        499.9 GB (499898105856 Bytes) (exactly 976363488 512-Byte-Units)
   Volume Used Space:         204.1 GB (204112875520 Bytes) (exactly 398657960 512-Byte-Units) (40.8%)
   Volume Free Space:         295.8 GB (295785230336 Bytes) (exactly 577705528 512-Byte-Units) (59.2%)
   Allocation Block Size:     4096 Bytes

Read-Only Media:           No
   Read-Only Volume:          No

Device Location:           Internal
   Removable Media:           Fixed

Solid State:               Yes
   Hardware AES Support:      No

I don't know if the alphanumeric strings are sensitive, so I've obfuscated them.

gbecattini

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
Hello,
at the end of the day, does a solution exist to fix Powerpoint crash on slideshow launch with HD 2600 XT and legacy patch?
Thanks

gbecattini

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
Thanks for replying. I believe it is not necessary a sample file: just create a single slide presentation (even empty, i.e. with a blank page) and when you press "Start presentation" the application crashes with a message Apologize... etc EXC_BAD_ACCESS. It is systematic.

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2018
In the absence of a reply from @dosdude1 as to why my APFS Boot prefpane is crashing, maybe someone else can help shed some light. I've had a look at the source code for the Catalina version on his gitbub repo - the Mojave version isn't on github. Assuming they are similar, what it appears to be doing is simply parsing the output from /usr/sbin/diskutil, so it should be fairly easy, for someone who knows what to look for, to figure out why mine fails. It may be that there's something amiss with my disk layout. As I've said before, the reason it crashes is due to an unhandled exception when trying to extract a substring of an empty string.

Here's the output from diskutil list:
Code:
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk1         499.9 GB   disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +499.9 GB   disk1
                                 Physical Store disk0s2
   1:                APFS Volume Macintosh HD            198.3 GB   disk1s1
   2:                APFS Volume Preboot                 41.8 MB    disk1s2
   3:                APFS Volume Recovery                510.4 MB   disk1s3
   4:                APFS Volume VM                      5.4 GB     disk1s4

And here's the output from diskutil info /
Code:
   Device Identifier:         disk1s1
   Device Node:               /dev/disk1s1
   Whole:                     No
   Part of Whole:             disk1

Volume Name:               Macintosh HD
   Mounted:                   Yes
   Mount Point:               /

Partition Type:            XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX
   File System Personality:   APFS
   Type (Bundle):             apfs
   Name (User Visible):       APFS
   Owners:                    Enabled

OS Can Be Installed:       Yes
   Booter Disk:               disk1s2
   Recovery Disk:             disk1s3
   Media Type:                Generic
   Protocol:                  SATA
   SMART Status:              Verified
   Volume UUID:               XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX
   Disk / Partition UUID:     XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX

Disk Size:                 499.9 GB (499898105856 Bytes) (exactly 976363488 512-Byte-Units)
   Device Block Size:         4096 Bytes

Volume Total Space:        499.9 GB (499898105856 Bytes) (exactly 976363488 512-Byte-Units)
   Volume Used Space:         204.1 GB (204112875520 Bytes) (exactly 398657960 512-Byte-Units) (40.8%)
   Volume Free Space:         295.8 GB (295785230336 Bytes) (exactly 577705528 512-Byte-Units) (59.2%)
   Allocation Block Size:     4096 Bytes

Read-Only Media:           No
   Read-Only Volume:          No

Device Location:           Internal
   Removable Media:           Fixed

Solid State:               Yes
   Hardware AES Support:      No

I don't know if the alphanumeric strings are sensitive, so I've obfuscated them.
They’re not sensitive at all. I believe the preference pane is just crashing because it’s a mess. There’s no way to tell from any of that output.

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
They’re not sensitive at all. I believe the preference pane is just crashing because it’s a mess. There’s no way to tell from any of that output.
Maybe it is, but can you be more specific? I haven't seen the source code for the Mojave version - unless it's exactly the same as the Catalina version. One thing I would say is, from a defensive programming point of view, that if there's a chance of an exception being thrown, you (not you, obvs) should either guard against it (in this case, check whether the string is empty first), or handle the exception. I realise this isn't mission critical software, but it's good practice anyway.

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Maybe it is, but can you be more specific? I haven't seen the source code for the Mojave version - unless it's exactly the same as the Catalina version. One thing I would say is, from a defensive programming point of view, that if there's a chance of an exception being thrown, you (not you, obvs) should either guard against it (in this case, check whether the string is empty first), or handle the exception. I realise this isn't mission critical software, but it's good practice anyway.

I doubt that there is a "Mojave version" per se as I don't remember anybody discussing APFS boot selector preference pane in Mojave thread. It is actually originated way back in High Sierra thread and came back to life in Catalina thread. I believe dosdude1 just added it later to Mojave patcher as well.

I fail to understand your issue as APFS boot selector only makes any sense for somebody who have multiple bootable APFS partitions. Since you only have one APFS disk, you can just delete APFS boot selector preference pane and enjoy your Mac.

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt that there is a "Mojave version" per se as I don't remember anybody discussing APFS boot selector preference pane in Mojave thread. It is actually originated way back in High Sierra thread and came back to life in Catalina thread. I believe dosdude1 just added it later to Mojave patcher as well.

I fail to understand your issue as APFS boot selector only makes any sense for somebody who have multiple bootable APFS partitions. Since you only have one APFS disk, you can just delete APFS boot selector preference pane and enjoy your Mac.
That's true but my main concern (apart from the fact that software shouldn't crash, regardless) is that, although my system seems to be running OK, I possibly ended up with a non-standard filesystem layout when doing my installation - because after my first attempt I was getting the prohibit symbol at startup. Don't worry, I'm not losing sleep over it.

jowaju

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2019
Thanks for replying. I believe it is not necessary a sample file: just create a single slide presentation (even empty, i.e. with a blank page) and when you press "Start presentation" the application crashes with a message Apologize... etc EXC_BAD_ACCESS. It is systematic.

I just tried this on a 2008 iMac with the 256MB Ati Radeon HD 2600 Pro with Office 2011 Mac and 10.14.3, no issues at all. Played a slideshow correctly. Can you be more specific as to your configuration?

gbecattini

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
Hello,
at the end of the day, does a solution exist to fix Powerpoint crash on slideshow launch with HD 2600 XT and legacy patch?
Thanks
This is an auto-reply that, I hope, can help somebody else to avoid all the time I lost for this topic. After a lot of tries, that is my personal truth regarding Powerpoint with Mac Pro 3,1 and Radeon HD 2600 XT (with video legacy patch):
  • with Mojave: both Powerpoint 16.15 and 16.32 (the current version from Apple Store) work correctly in slideshow (and the rest)
  • with Catalina 15.1 and 15.2: Powerpoint 16.15 works correctly in slideshow but 16.32 always crashes, not only when you start a slideshow but also in some other circumstances (e.g. testing transitions)
I repeated more times the tests also with fresh installs and I am rather sure of what above. I did not find any workaround. I will keep on using 16.15 that can be easily found on Internet.

Reactions: TimothyR734

whynotj

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2019
Hey guys, apologies if this has been covered, did a good bit of searching on this thread. I successfully ran an earlier version of Mojave on my 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, 56GB RAM) for the past year or so, and just did a clean install, which updated my Mojave version to 10.14.6. Getting some buggy behavior right off the bat -- News.app is slow to the point of being completely unusable, Maps.app doesn't load any maps, some graphics tracing on certain websites in Safari. I ran all the suggested post-install patches, as well as the recommended Onyx routines... any other suggestions? Revert back to 10.14.3?

Tyke666

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
Did you try re-running the patcher from within a fully booted system? That solved a lot of the graphics glitches for me. Different machine etc. but doesn't harm to try it.

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2019
This is an auto-reply that, I hope, can help somebody else to avoid all the time I lost for this topic. After a lot of tries, that is my personal truth regarding Powerpoint with Mac Pro 3,1 and Radeon HD 2600 XT (with video legacy patch):
  • with Mojave: both Powerpoint 16.15 and 16.32 (the current version from Apple Store) work correctly in slideshow (and the rest)
  • with Catalina 15.1 and 15.2: Powerpoint 16.15 works correctly in slideshow but 16.32 always crashes, not only when you start a slideshow but also in some other circumstances (e.g. testing transitions)
I repeated more times the tests also with fresh installs and I am rather sure of what above. I did not find any workaround. I will keep on using 16.15 that can be easily found on Internet.
Please clarify a few things for me:
  1. When you say "crash," do you mean the application crashes (but the system keeps running), or MacOS crashes (freezes/goes to black screen/reboots)?
  2. Your video card is ATI2600XT, and your Mac does not contain any newer ATI/AMD video card, correct?
  3. Did the installer/patcher (or you) install the "SSE 4.2 Emulation" patch?
The only known issue with the SSE 4.2 Emulator is a weird interaction with certain Microsoft products. It's not clear what's happening or what causes it, but since your issue involves a MP3,1 and a Microsoft product, it might be worth investigating.

So, if the answers to #2 and #3 above are "yes," try removing the SSE 4.2 Emulator patch and rebooting. And please let me know if that actually helped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.