Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

@ioith

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2019
i have a macbook 4,1 i have had mojave on this machine but went back to lion which was last supported os on my computer
i have now decided to put mojave back on but now i m having this problem after repairing permissions using mac os patcher 3.0 from RMC i m getting
chown: /Volumes/Untitled 1/usr/patch: No such file or directory
where Untitled 1 was the name of the drive i was using
and the bootloader is getting stuck after the bar fills up completely at the apple logo
@0403979 pls help

Last edited:
Reactions: TimothyR734

VaZ

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2012
Yes it did. Haven't you tried yet?
I'll try it a 3rd time doing that.
Yes it did. Haven't you tried yet?
I didn't want to try a 3rd time and have it fail..but it worked.
[automerge]1576944500[/automerge]
Hard disk is failing, it can't complete fsck. Get a new hard disk or SSD, preferably.
Haha Where did you even come up with that logic Colin!? Thats Hilarious !

Instead you should make your usb creator include older amd kext files so we don't have to boot blindly with pc cards how about that logic for ya. Thats what i have to do manually and it works.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
I'll try it a 3rd time doing that.

I didn't want to try a 3rd time and have it fail..but it worked.
[automerge]1576944500[/automerge]

Haha Where did you even come up with that logic Colin!? Thats Hilarious !

Instead you should make your usb creator include older amd kext files so we don't have to boot blindly with pc cards how about that logic for ya. Thats what i have to do manually and it works.
Come up with that logic? I didn't. When OS X shows the thick progress bar on boot like that, it either means it's updating firmware, or running fsck. If it fails and cannot complete fsck successfully, it will stop and shut the system off. As for your other rude and ignorant statement, I actually DID have the legacy video drivers included in very early versions of Mojave Patcher, but they were causing issues for a lot of people in the installation environment, so I removed them. Also, unless a video card has an EFI-compatible ROM, you WILL NOT get a boot screen, regardless of what drivers are present in the OS.

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
Come up with that logic? I didn't. When OS X shows the thick progress bar on boot like that, it either means it's updating firmware, or running fsck. If it fails and cannot complete fsck successfully, it will stop and shut the system off. As for your other rude and ignorant statement, I actually DID have the legacy video drivers included in very early versions of Mojave Patcher, but they were causing issues for a lot of people in the installation environment, so I removed them. Also, unless a video card has an EFI-compatible ROM, you WILL NOT get a boot screen, regardless of what drivers are present in the OS.
?

VaZ

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2012
Ya ok totally NOT the case though. I remember your early builds and they worked perfect for me. Also, unless a video card has an EFI-compatible ROM, you WILL NOT get a boot screen, regardless of what drivers are present in the OS. What i'm talking about is the actual system installer being visible once it's done booting.

Shadow Demon

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2018
What i'm talking about is the actual system installer being visible once it's done booting.

Unless you have EFI-compatible video card, the system installer after the initial boot screen won't be visible either. I have MacPro 3,1 with non-EFI but metal-compatible video card, the system installer was hidden completely during my Catalina installation using the Install to Machine method. Nothing was visible until the login screen and that will continue to be case for each system update going forward unless I upgrade the video. For Mojave, I had to use MacBook Pro 5,1(with its EFI compatible but non-metal video card) along with a boot USB drive and Firewire in order to install the system on the MacPro 3,1.

It is simple you want to see the system installer, get a EFI-compatible video card. What occurred in a earlier build due to the presence of legacy video driver in the installer is immaterial. This is the status quo moving forward.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Ya ok totally NOT the case though. I remember your early builds and they worked perfect for me. Also, unless a video card has an EFI-compatible ROM, you WILL NOT get a boot screen, regardless of what drivers are present in the OS. What i'm talking about is the actual system installer being visible once it's done booting.

If you are so smart, why don't you create your own Mojave patcher that will work great on unsupported Macs as well as your dumb hackies. Then you should provide your patcher for free to everybody and answer a billion of dumb questions. Do you think you can handle this?

P.S. You gotta love that kick you get from the coffee. Helps me make my posts short and to the point.

Last edited:

KaaJi Oi

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2019
hi buddy im a beginner here . i have MB 5,1 Running this mojave , i have question when i do downgrade my iphone i got an error say " system_profiler[98471:176192] SPUSBDevice: IOCreatePlugInInterfaceForService failed 0xe00002be" either say " usb.core.error " in terminal , that not detect my device properly. wht should i can do ?

Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 11.13.17 AM.png

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Guess what VaZ wanted to say ina little not so diplomatic way:

The Mojave usb installer wont give a picture thru some GPUs without EFI - tho the installed system gives.

So some were urged to swap GPUs for installing / booting the USB Installer. Even if the used GPU gives a picture when the driver kicks in.

VaZ

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2012
Unless you have EFI-compatible video card, the system installer after the initial boot screen won't be visible either. I have MacPro 3,1 with non-EFI but metal-compatible video card, the system installer was hidden completely during my Catalina installation using the Install to Machine method. Nothing was visible until the login screen and that will continue to be case for each system update going forward unless I upgrade the video. For Mojave, I had to use MacBook Pro 5,1(with its EFI compatible but non-metal video card) along with a boot USB drive and Firewire in order to install the system on the MacPro 3,1.

It is simple you want to see the system installer, get a EFI-compatible video card. What occurred in a earlier build due to the presence of legacy video driver in the installer is immaterial. This is the status quo moving forward.
What i'm talking about is the actual system installer being visible once it's done booting. It used to work before but Colin removed it, like he said.

jotka

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2019
Hey there,

I am still struggling with myself if and how I want to move on with my early 2009 macpro 5.1.
at the moment I am running my mac with the Os 10.11.6.
I have two questions can I directly setup Mojave with the mojave patcher.
And secondly will Adobe Indesign work as I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 graficscard.

thank you in advance for any help.

Flacko

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2018
UK
Hey there,

I am still struggling with myself if and how I want to move on with my early 2009 macpro 5.1.
And secondly will Adobe Indesign work as I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 graficscard.

Your cMP5.1 will run Mojave natively ( so no patching) if you fit a METAL graphics card like the GTX680. Have a good read of this thread as it is also best to update the ROM to 144.0.0.0.0.

If you want to keep the GT120 then you can of course use the patcher but remember to apply the legacy video patch.
Not sure about Indesign as I do not use it. However, would expect the first option as the best in terms of performance.

apom7

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2019
I'm running El Capitan on extended journal. I want to update it to Mojave, but I'm concerned about future updates since I'm on extended journal.

How would updates work?

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
Hey there,

Mac Pro 5,1 is supported by Mojave. No need for patches

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I'm running El Capitan on extended journal. I want to update it to Mojave, but I'm concerned about future updates since I'm on extended journal.

How would updates work?

This has nothing to do with the unsupported Macs or this thread. Search other threads as you will have same problems as people with supported machines.

apom7

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2019
Installed it today. Running beautifully on my late 2008 macbook. Thank you to everyone involved! We just saved another mac from the dumpster

Update: Spoke too soon :( It's pretty slow and sluggish. Some programs take about 20-25 seconds to launch. This is with 5 gigs of ram. If you must have Mojave it will work. If you are just using your computer for basic tasks I would recommend sticking to El Capitan.

Last edited:

daralathas

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2019
Hey,

Just 'successfully' updated a Mac Pro 4,1 to Mojave.... many thanks to the OP for the Christmas Miracle.

I am however a noob, and was convinced this was a Mac Pro 3,1 and so chose that for the Post Install patches in error... is there a way to re-choose the model safely? Do I just reboot from the USB stick and rechoose? Or are the 3,1 and 4,1 close enough for government work? ><

Last edited:

jotka

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2019
Mac Pro 5,1 is supported by Mojave. No need for patches
Does this also apply to a Late 2009 macpro 4.1?
I have installed 5.1 just recently at the Moment i can Not Upgrade to Sierra or high Sierra. I suppose than that I will have to Exchange my gpu to Nvidia gtx 680, is this the right way? Und

macinfo

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
Merry Christmas to all, supported or unsupported system users alike. ;)

And now to something completely different …

I just can’t get that stubborn keyboard backlight on a MacBookPro4,1 to stay turned off. After every reboot it will be turned on at half-way brightness. I tried almost every possible solution known to mankind, but nothing seems to have it stick turned off, ok I can use the app "Lab Tick" or turn it off via the standard keyboard keys after loging in.

What makes this behaviour look even stranger:

I have one older Mojave installation partition where I upgraded from 10.14.2 to 10.14.6 (just installed full patched usb-drive-installer over old one) and on that very system the keyboard backlight stays turned off.

I’ve tried to replicate all installation steps I have done there, but to no avail so far.
Btw, all dosdude’s Patcher modules are up to date and re-installed again, etc.

Does anyone know of a 'defaults write…' command, Plist or anything to read out the current settings (or write them) of the ambient light sensor for instance. Or what else could I try?

Ah … and one thing that’s possibly connected to this:

At the system where the keyboard backlight stays turned off,
the system preferences for Displays is set to: automatic brightness = *off*.
(While automatic keyboard backlighting is set to *on*?!)

On the system where it’s on after every reboot,
the Display setting always reverts back to: automatic brightness = *on*,
no matter what I manually set it to. (although it actually doesn’t change the Displays brightness automatically, which I am glad for).

EDIT:
After replacing a heap of various system files (/S*/L*/Extensions, PrivateFrameworks, PreferencesPanes and the whole /L* folder) on the new system with ones from the older system partition, I finally got the desired behaviour, meaning keyboard backlight *off* after a reboot (but can still be activated manually, how I prefer it).

Now I just have to isolate the one or more files (out of a million, or so) that make this happen.

UPDATE:
The hunt was successful, the file is 'com.apple.iokit.AmbientLightSensor.plist' which should be located inside '/L*/Preferences/', but in the case of my freshly installed Mojave 10.14.6 system that file was not created.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.