Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Ennev72

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2019
Installed it today. Running beautifully on my late 2008 macbook. Thank you to everyone involved! We just saved another mac from the dumpster

Update: Spoke too soon :( It's pretty slow and sluggish. Some programs take about 20-25 seconds to launch. This is with 5 gigs of ram. If you must have Mojave it will work. If you are just using your computer for basic tasks I would recommend sticking to El Capitan.

do you have an SSD? i have your same mac with 8 giga and an ssd and it is quite fast

daralathas

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2019
Its better to re install Mojave and select 4.1.

Maybe you think about patching the Firmware of your Mac to 5.1 to be more compatible.

I have considered it... but I have Gainstown Dual Quad 2.26s and these have audio stuttering when 4,1->5,1 firmware updated. If I can get some delidded Xeons I will revisit the suggestions. Thanks!

I rebooted into the USB doddude installer and ran the correct patches for 4,1.. and have seen no changes or regressions. The only thing I can't do is boot from a Carbon Copy Cloner'd second HDD with an identical install upon it.

apom7

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2019
do you have an SSD? i have your same mac with 8 giga and an ssd and it is quite fast

hmm. No I don't. Just a 7200 rpm drive. Do you think the drive would make that big of a difference? It's super fast on El Capitan. Mojave seems to freeze up a lot during basic tasks too. Seeing way too much of that spinning wheel!

For mojave I just did an upgrade on top of a fresh install of El Capitan so wondering if that would slow it down. (other people have said that's fine but who knows)

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
hmm. No I don't. Just a 7200 rpm drive. Do you think the drive would make that big of a difference? It's super fast on El Capitan. Mojave seems to freeze up a lot during basic tasks too. Seeing way too much of that spinning wheel!

For mojave I just did an upgrade on top of a fresh install of El Capitan so wondering if that would slow it down. (other people have said that's fine but who knows)

Mojave was designed with SSD and APFS in mind. It is very important to maintain that software/hardware optimisation for best results. In my experience any Mac OS after Mavericks requires SSD.

Val981

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2019
Hello everyone,

I just bought an old late 2011 15 inch macbook. I installed mojave sucessfully with the non official patch.

Btw it works fine but i have no 3D Acceleration. I want to play old games like Wow 2.4.3 or emulators.

Is there a way to get 3D acceleration please ? Or should i go back to high sierra ?

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2019-12-28 à 13.26.29.png
    Capture d’écran 2019-12-28 à 13.26.29.png
    85.1 KB · Views: 234
Reactions: TimothyR734

Ennev72

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2019

Surely. With an SSD you will see improvements greater than you will get with memory expansion. My Late 2008 in daily use is not slow at all.

Lardyboy999

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2019
mojave works great until I update the latest security patch. It messed up my MacBook Pro 5,3 with slow, sluggish behaviour. Was on Catalina but decide to come back an OS but this update seriously affects it. Anyone else had this?

groverb

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2015
Hi ! I am currently writing from my Early 2008 Black MacBook (4,1). I am pretty surprised how usable it is even without full QE/CI !

I think i have to max out the ram and change thermal paste because the CPU is getting pretty hot ;)
View attachment 856405

Thanks guys for your amazing work !

@Yojx21,

That's great! How did you get the usb installer to launch the actual installer? I'm trying to update a MB 4,1 Early 2008, 2.1Ghz C2D, 4GB of memory and an SSD. The GPU is an Intel GMa x3100 just like yours. I get the apple logo and a progress bar, and after about 30 minutes the progress bar completes but it just sits there. No installer desktop is launched. I've let it sit over night and still no installer desktop launches.

My steps (from a 2010 MB) included using the "macOs Downloader.sh" to grab Mojave, and then "macOS Patcher.sh -legacy-prelinkedkernel" (version 3.0) to patch the downloaded installer app and create the installer usb.

Last edited:

GillesVilleneuve

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2019
Italy
Hi, I've just used for the first time your patcher and installed 10.14.6 on to a MacBook5,2 of a friend. Almost everything went fine but the trackpad: it simply does not open the preference panel where I needed to enable touch for clicking.
It just tries to find external BT trackpads instead of loading the usual panel.
I had hoped that, after a patcher update where was mentioned something about trackpad issue, it would be solved, but it wasn't.
Is there anything I can try?

Attachments

• Schermata 2019-12-30 alle 15.00.51.png
    Schermata 2019-12-30 alle 15.00.51.png
    222.7 KB · Views: 175

apom7

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2019
Surely. With an SSD you will see improvements greater than you will get with memory expansion. My Late 2008 in daily use is not slow at all.

Thanks. Are you running the latest version? I'm wondering if the latest version is slowing things down. Lardyboy999 says the update slowed his down
[automerge]1577746419[/automerge]
mojave works great until I update the latest security patch. It messed up my MacBook Pro 5,3 with slow, sluggish behaviour. Was on Catalina but decide to come back an OS but this update seriously affects it. Anyone else had this?

My late 2008 macbook crawls with this latest release too. Maybe it's just this version

Last edited:

Ennev72

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2019
Thanks. Are you running the latest version? I'm wondering if the latest version is slowing things down. Lardyboy999 says the update slowed his down
[automerge]1577746419[/automerge]

My late 2008 macbook crawls with this latest release too. Maybe it's just this version

This is my Mojave version number:

Attachments

• Schermata 2019-12-31 alle 16.48.28.png
    Schermata 2019-12-31 alle 16.48.28.png
    111.5 KB · Views: 235

Shortadvice

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2019
The Netherlands
Maybe the question already raised, but how do I recognise if the installation is done via dosdude installation, or via the normal installation.
I having a Mac Pro 5.1 with Metal GPU, and did the installation by the dosdude installation, unknown to the fact the Mac Pro 5.1 is officialy supported by Apple. I always could update by the normal software update, and not by the Patch Updater. No problem with the system, but just curious.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Maybe the question already raised, but how do I recognise if the installation is done via dosdude installation, or via the normal installation.
I having a Mac Pro 5.1 with Metal GPU, and did the installation by the dosdude installation, unknown to the fact the Mac Pro 5.1 is officialy supported by Apple. I always could update by the normal software update, and not by the Patch Updater. No problem with the system, but just curious.
In the Utilities folder is the Patch Updater.app. Run that to view the installed patches. The source code for the Catalina Patcher is available. The Mojave one is probably similar. It can be used to see how the patch is installed. There's usually two versions of each patch. One in the post installer (in the source code) and the other is downloaded from dosdude1's website by the Patch Updater.app.

The patches in the post updater use Objective-C code. Find them in the source code by searching for
self setID.

The online patches used by the Updater use shell scripts. You can download the online patches with this:
Code:
[[ -d ~/Downloads/dosdude1patches ]] || mkdir ~/Downloads/dosdude1patches
cd ~/Downloads/dosdude1patches
for theos in mojave catalina; do
    curl -s "http://dosdude1.com/${theos}/patchupdates/updates.plist" > ${theos}updates.plist
    [[ -d ${theos}updatepatches ]] || mkdir ${theos}updatepatches
    for theurl in $(plutil -p ${theos}updates.plist | sed -nE '/^ +"patchURL" => "(.*)"$/s//\1/p'); do
        echo $theurl
        thezip="${theurl##*/}"
        thefile="${thezip%.zip}"
        [[ -d $thefile ]] || mkdir "${theos}updatepatches/$thefile"
        curl -s "$theurl" > "${theos}updatepatches/$thefile/$thezip"
        open "${theos}updatepatches/$thefile/$thezip"
    done
done

The list of installed patches is stored at
"/Library/Application\ Support/High Sierra\ Patcher/installedPatches.plist"
"/Library/Application\ Support/macOS Mojave\ Patcher/installedPatches.plist"
"/Library/Application\ Support/macOS Catalina\ Patcher/installedPatches.plist"
depending on your macOS version.

To undo a patch you might just need to remove it. If the patch affects system files, then maybe they can be replaced. Use Pacifist.app to extract the system file from a macOS installer or updater (same version as was installed).

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia

As far as supported machines are concerned there is NO DIFFERENCE between patcher installation and normal installation. A lot of people with supported machines use dosdude1's patcher to install the OS as it is faster than a normal installation.

Ennev72

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2019
Thanks! That's great that it's working well for you. Maybe I will try it with an SSD drive. I am running the 2 Ghz cpu vs your 2.4 Ghz and I have 3 less gigs of ram.
I think the real bottleneck is the hard drive. The difference in cpu is not that important and the ram you have may be enough.

nanni61

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2020
I apologize if someone has already mentioned it but it is impossible for me to read 719 pages ...
I have a MacPro 3.1 (2008) on which I installed 10.14.6 with the dosdude1 patch.
I have a big problem with VLC that I can't use, instead of videos it shows me black blocks of different sizes that move on the monitor. I think it's a compatibility issue with the video card (ATI Radeon HD 2600).
Has anyone had the same problem and is there any way to solve it? Thank you

Yojx21

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2017
Dijon, France
@Yojx21,

That's great! How did you get the usb installer to launch the actual installer? I'm trying to update a MB 4,1 Early 2008, 2.1Ghz C2D, 4GB of memory and an SSD. The GPU is an Intel GMa x3100 just like yours. I get the apple logo and a progress bar, and after about 30 minutes the progress bar completes but it just sits there. No installer desktop is launched. I've let it sit over night and still no installer desktop launches.

My steps (from a 2010 MB) included using the "macOs Downloader.sh" to grab Mojave, and then "macOS Patcher.sh -legacy-prelinkedkernel" (version 3.0) to patch the downloaded installer app and create the installer usb.

When i did it, there was no "legacy-prelinkedkernel" option. In my opinion you should try with an older version of the script.
When i used it, the installer booted straight without any problem.

Rob Z.

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2020
Hello @ im new to here. Found the way through Google by searching for dosdude.

Well Ive done installing by Mojave Patcher.
All worked fine and so a biiig tyvm to @dosdude1
Regards from germany
Rob

Last edited:

Mistic00

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2020
Hi to all ! I have iMac 12.2 (27 "Mid 2011). Everything works very well after applying Patch. The problem appears, however, when running Final Cut Pro X version 10.4.8. After starting the application I get the information" This graphic configuration does not support hardware acceleration, which is required to run Final Cut Pro ". Version 10.4.6 works normally under High Sierra - this is the last system that works by default on this computer. Unfortunately, after applying Patch, even 10.4.6 won't start. You may have some ideas on how to work around it and cheat information about the graphics card? Pixelmator, Motion also give the same message despite the fact that these are applications located on the second partition from High Sierra and normally worked earlier.

Yojx21

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2017
Dijon, France
Hi to all ! I have iMac 12.2 (27 "Mid 2011). Everything works very well after applying Patch. The problem appears, however, when running Final Cut Pro X version 10.4.8. After starting the application I get the information" This graphic configuration does not support hardware acceleration, which is required to run Final Cut Pro ". Version 10.4.6 works normally under High Sierra - this is the last system that works by default on this computer. Unfortunately, after applying Patch, even 10.4.6 won't start. You may have some ideas on how to work around it and cheat information about the graphics card? Pixelmator, Motion also give the same message despite the fact that these are applications located on the second partition from High Sierra and normally worked earlier.

The iMac12,2 is basicaly not supported under Mojave because of it's AMD Radeon HD 6xxx...
If you still have the stock GPU you should stick with High Sierra.

Reactions: VaZ

der_don

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2020
Installed today the latest updates in Mojave. Now am stuck in a boot loop. Also can not select a Catalina boot USB again, because I applied the APFS patches. Help would be greatly appreciated. Currently I just want to roll back to Catalina and keep everything running smoothly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.