Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should the new Mac OS be called 10.14 or something else?

Votes: 80 75.5%

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • Something else

Votes: 15 14.2%

• Total voters

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Their hardware seems to have issues, too. Ives really needs someone to keep him in check, otherwise you get sparkly and thin, but nothing that works reliably.

Ive should stick to his core competency, which is industrial design - which should dictate the direction of Apple's hardware design and product packaging. He should perhaps input into UI design, but certainly not be in charge of it.

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I'm a simple guy, I'm just hoping they finally fix the bug in Photos requiring a wifi connection. It annoys me having to use wifi when I have a perfectly good ethernet cable plugged in.
What bug? WiFi is turned off completely for me on my iMac and Photos works.

The bigger bug for me is turning on iCloud Photo Stream prevents Photos from saving Live Photos locally. This is moronic.

Jeff Flowerday

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
Calgary, AB
What bug? WiFi is turned off completely for me on my iMac and Photos works.

The bigger bug for me is turning on iCloud Photo Stream prevents Photos from saving Live Photos locally. This is moronic.

It doesn't work for me, I have to turn on wifi just for Photos.

It's related to a LAG connection.

Last edited:

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Hi,
I wonder if the new 10.14 will feature a new UI/UX, maybe an Aqua 2.0 design.

Why do I think this? The WWDC 2018 invitation is full of UI controls, and the windows buttons(red, yellow, green) keep me thinking. This gotta be something about macOS UI, an aqua v2.0, because It makes me want to lick the screen again.

What do you think?

ccsicecoke

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Hi,
I wonder if the new 10.14 will feature a new UI/UX, maybe an Aqua 2.0 design.

Why do I think this? The WWDC 2018 invitation is full of UI controls, and the windows buttons(red, yellow, green) keep me thinking. This gotta be something about macOS UI, an aqua v2.0, because It makes me want to lick the screen again.

What do you think?

Highly doubt they would slap their own face.

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
I wish they would do more with photos. I love having everything in one place with the non destructive editing. I have lightroom, but at times want simple editing and at the current moment it does work with photos. Pixelmator does work and I use it a lot. I love now how you can do the non destructive edits in other programs as well.
[doublepost=1523388499][/doublepost]
I want 3D non-flat look back. If not I'm sticking to 10.9 forever. No more new mac for me

It's not coming back. Guess no new mac.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
Hopefully it'll link to iOS better - as in apps will transfer between devices (I'm not paying $10 to run benchmarks on my Mac) and it'll have more of an iOS feeling.
With the iPad and iPhone X having a MacOS like dock Apple seems to be on a path of trying to do this.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
No. No hardware HDR HEVC support and no 4K DRM support.
Could you explain this? Apple gave the impression at WWDC that the only advantage to the Kabylake Macs was 10-bit encode.

Edit: I read some of your earlier posts on the subject. Questions: Couldn't the AMD GPUs get around this issue? And couldn't the DRM issue be solved in a different, less restrictive way?

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Could you explain this? Apple gave the impression at WWDC that the only advantage to the Kabylake Macs was 10-bit encode.
No 10-bit encode on any Mac via hardware. Just 8-bit encode, and that is supported on both the Skylake 6th gen and the Kaby Lake 7th gen machines. However, only Kaby Lake gets hardware 10-bit HEVC decode.

Kaby Lake CPUs actually do support 10-bit hardware encode, but not on Macs. Not sure why. Maybe they think the quality isn't good enough?

Edit: I read some of your earlier posts on the subject. Questions: Couldn't the AMD GPUs get around this issue? And couldn't the DRM issue be solved in a different, less restrictive way?
Apple is only supporting AMD's hardware HEVC decode on the iMac Pro. In Windows the AMD-based MacBook Pros can do hardware decode for 10-bit HEVC, but not in macOS.

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
If the Marzipan thing happens, I want all the iOS app on macOS: Home, Music, Health, News, Activity etc.

Also bring watchOS complications to macOS as menu bar items.

Bring some of the iOS 11 Dock actions to macOS Dock, like the document previews when press and holding.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
10.14 will be another gimmicky, buggy and uninspiring release, just like every single macOS release since 10.6.

This doesn't reflect reality. Try using 10.6 today. macOS has come on leaps and bounds since then.

It's like the way people think of Windows XP as some glorious standard in their head. Using XP for 10 minutes today quickly crushes any notions of nostalgia you could have for it.

Modern macOS is hands down the best operating system for daily use on the market in my opinion.

RandomDSdevel

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
Kokomo, IN
I hope the Dashboard finally gets removed from macOS. Death to cruft :p

I actually still use a couple of Dashboard widgets, thank you very much! (FYI, they're Dictionary, Stickies, Translation, and Unit Converter.) The widgets that have duplicate equivalents in Notification Center (Calculator, Calendar, Weather, World Clock, etc.) can go though; I'm actually surprised that there are still some that don't, honestly. Even if Dashboard itself has to say good-bye, however, I would like it if you could have a secondary, spill-over area for extra Today widgets you didn't want in your main Notification Center (pull again to expand/open that area.)

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I hope the Dashboard finally gets removed from macOS. Death to cruft :p

There's something very "Windows Vista" about Dashboard. It's an artefact of it's era, something that never really caught on.

I always disable it after a fresh install!

Reactions: lupinglade

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
AppleOS 1.0 ! To unite iPhones/iPads and Macs (as apps become cross platform) !
Haha nice! I had the same idea - an integrated, single Apple OS that'd be for all platforms, while keeping the current Mac interface for Macintoshes and (mobile)OS interface for all mobile devices.

I'd suggest they do this next year, when 10.15 is due and iOS 13 is also due - to avoid using 13 as an unlucky number, and also, suggesting a new start with ARM-equipped Macs.

RandomDSdevel

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
Kokomo, IN
There's something very "Windows Vista" about Dashboard. It's an artefact of it's era, something that never really caught on.

I always disable it after a fresh install!

Actually, doing a random Google search on how many people still use Dashboard turns up, among other things, a Reddit thread discussing Dashboard's age that's only half a year old, and one might be able to find something newer if that went digging further. She's not dead yet, folks! (Still, I do agree the thing could use some modernization. Also, it could, like I said, become a sort of overflow area for extra Notification Center Today widgets if Apple merged the two together.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.