Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should the new Mac OS be called 10.14 or something else?

Votes: 80 75.5%

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • Something else

Votes: 15 14.2%

• Total voters

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I was genuinely surprised to find the Dashboard was still there. I thought it had already been removed. I remember using it a lot back when I got my first Lion Mac. But it seems like a relic of that era.

One feature I'd really like to see in macOS is an ability, when saving a file, to see similarly-named files. I realize it's niche, but it bugs me that it's not there. This is something that would benefit my own OCD (I name a lot of documents and images with numbers and I can never remember what number I'm on--this feature would help with that) more than it would benefit most Mac users, but it's a feature that Windows has had since the beginning of time and it'd be nice to see it on Mac.

Also I'm tired of the Mail app taking like an hour to close (I'm exaggerating, but it often holds up shutting down my computer). I never understood why it still does that after all this time.

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

Bob1985

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2015
Running iOS apps on macOS would be extremely useful. Looking forward to that coming in some future release.

I'd also like to see the Keychain Access app completely redesigned. It's clunky and unpleasant whenever I have to go in there.

Stability. Stability. Stability.

tnicely83

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2017
I have read that the early 2011 MacBook Pro might be the last model supported. I hope so because I still have one, and I must say that this model has done me well. Its still really fast, which it has 16 gb of ram, ssd, and the hi res anti glare screen, and I will not give my machine up!!! I keep new thermal paste in this machine, and I have never had one issue out of it; no graphic glitches. I just can't seem to give in, and buy a new machine. I am crossing my fingers that its supported. My wife has the good ol MD101, but I still love mine better. USB 3 would be great, but thunderbolt to USB 3 works just fine. I use my machine out in the sun all day long, and love having the anti glare. Don't get me wrong those "stain gate" screens sure are nice, but I have a Big Bad Hackintosh with 2 4k screens, 1 2k screen, 8 tb of drive space, 4790k, 16gb ram, GTX 980 ti, Apple Magic Mouse, Apple Keyboard, Apple Magic Trackpad, plus a custom machined case I made on a plasma cutter, but somehow I always pickup my MacBook Pro. Long story short, Im going for the Early 2011 MacBook Pro with thunderbolt for compatibility. If they don't support it I won't be upset, but I really would not understand why???? I know the AMD 6750m 1gb card does not support metal, but my machine blows away my wife`s that has the integrated hd 4000 that supports metal. I am curious if that is going to be the decision maker because Apple is so crazy about metal nowadays. I know that metal is better than OpenGL, but the AMD 6750m can hang pretty good still! Just keep her cool, or she might exploded!!!!! I am pretty sure thats why everyone had their 2011 MacBook Pro GPU issues because I have never had that issue. I keep Arctic Silver on supply tho.... :) Don't let my GPU go over 75 Degrees. I think Apple is trying to get rid of OpenGL tho... If that is the case, then I understand my old MacBook Pro might get the boot.

mithion

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2016
Reno, NV
Simply put, they need to go back to a 2 year release cycle. With how complex software is becoming, each new release of macOS is now requiring more point releases to get to the level of quality expected. And somehow, even though each yearly release is very incremental, they manage to break things. And if they insist on keeping their yearly release, they should at least support the previous release with point releases for a second year. They have huge amounts of resources so they can easily offer this support model.

Rivvvers

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
The Shire
Simply put, they need to go back to a 2 year release cycle. With how complex software is becoming, each new release of macOS is now requiring more point releases to get to the level of quality expected. And somehow, even though each yearly release is very incremental, they manage to break things. And if they insist on keeping their yearly release, they should at least support the previous release with point releases for a second year. They have huge amounts of resources so they can easily offer this support model.

Couldn’t agree more with you to be honest, 2 year should be the minimum and during that period incremental releases could happen throughout.
The inconsistency all started around the tome lion was introduced and even then they had a longer cycle if I recall correctly

KRBM

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Wishlist for simple fixes:
  • Preview.app: back to Mountain Lion (e.g. pre blurry PDFs, pre dimmed highlight colors)
  • iTunes.app: split or keep, anything to speed it up (e.g. window resizing)
  • Pages.app: default indent distance is equal to tab distance
  • revert function of play/pause key
  • Dashboard: improve or remove the Safari snippet widget
Wishlist for features:
  • real dark mode, or "smart invert" mode
  • improved general performance, e.g. in opening apps & lagless scrolling
  • more use of smooth animations like when resizing iBooks.app

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.