Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jeffhalmos

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2002
Same issue here.

SIP disabled when checking status with csrutil status.

Tried applying "sudo nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check"" from the machine booted into my admin user to no avail.

Still restarts to the login screen and nothing updated after checking About This Mac.

We need to know what's happening when this happens (goes through the machinations, but then simply reboots with 10.15.1 installed) and how we might fix this. I get an error when clicking on install new OS when using the USB stick option. Stalemate for me.

eVasilis

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2010
I don't use DisplayPort myself but I would be surprised if it were fixed since the MacPro 5,1 is now unsupported.

My screen is connected through DisplayPort. No problems and with the rx 580 in my 5.1 colors look richer even though the screen is an 8-bit one.

Reactions: TimothyR734

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
We need to know what's happening when this happens (goes through the machinations, but then simply reboots with 10.15.1 installed) and how we might fix this. I get an error when clicking on install new OS when using the USB stick option. Stalemate for me.

Similar situ here - "Install to machine" failed to clean install into an APFS container. After failing at the install step, after everything was built . . . . it looks like, here is what remained on both the source and target partitions. Patcher 1.3.0 and installer 10.15.2.02. The two screenshots are titled.

ss1 - what remained on installer source.png

Attachments

• ss2 - what was installed on target disk.png
    ss2 - what was installed on target disk.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

jhowarth

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2017
My screen is connected through DisplayPort. No problems and with the rx 580 in my 5.1 colors look richer even though the screen is an 8-bit one.

Not surprised as that is an ATI card instead of a Nvidia one. The Kepler drivers have had broken DisplayPort on the GTX 680 since the beginning under Catalina.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Still have problems! I did follow the link to the new patcher, but when I downloaded it, it STILL says the version is 15.1.02. From what was stated above by jhowarth via post #7,264:

"The 10.15.2 full installer should show a version number of 15.2.02."

Well, it does not. What gives?

Has ANYONE been able to use the new version of the patcher, and obtain the full installer for OS 10.15.2?
[automerge]1576044589[/automerge]

Did you actually try it? I am STILL having issues.

Actually, when I click on the link in your post, which takes me to the site, it says the version is 1.2.3, not 1.3.

working fine here.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
I have successfully installed 10.15.2 on MBP 8,2 (15" 2011) using dosdude's 1.3.0 patcher although will need to reinstall Airdrop via @jackluke instruction. Thanks again for all the work and update capabilities @dosdude1 and all the "usual suspects" provide to enable us to successfully and efficiently use our vintage Macs.

I have messaged Dosdude but if someone can also give their perspective regarding the necessity of disabling of the infamous dGPU (mine is dead) via the process as outlined in post thread #875 or just installing Catalina with latest Dosdude patcher that on it own (for now) seems to skirt the need to disable dGPU thru the instructions of thread #875? I know dosdude created a disabler executable but I had tried a while ago to implement but system crashed to reboot to blank screen and therefore reverted back to thread #875 process.

the only thing that won’t work is night shift - every time I try to install it it breaks the Siri preference pane and keyboard preference pane.
[automerge]1576109547[/automerge]
Remove the GT120.
[automerge]1576084424[/automerge]

You need to re-install the Night Shift Patch using Patch Updater.

night shift under Catalina breaks preference panes Siri and keyboard.

eddiek2000

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2019
Dosdude - any chance I can enable logging on the cat patcher? Trying to figure out why I get the "An error occurred while attempting to save the BaseSystem image. Ensure that there is at least 10GB of free space on your Startup Disk, then try again." error. 2 systems, both Cat .1 different usb drives and even get the error on an inlace upgrade.

BigSmileMan

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2018
Let me tell some about my MBA4.2 update road from 10.15.1 to 10.15.2 ....
First time tried to "install to this machine" method. Before always did by recovery USB stick method
So... ALL OK! Siri, continuity, night shift and all other patches works well.
Have 2 propositions to @dosdude1
1. Will be good to see in future auto Airdrop installation in update sequence. I think if we can do so, will be no need to relogin to iCloud account after every update to have a full working continuity.
2. This guy @fabioroberto did a great thing to correct interface in some places in this post. It still works but need to install it manually. Maybe you can add it to the patcher?

And BIG BIG thanks for updating us! ))

nibbl3r

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2019
hello guys,
newbie here ... so as a newbie I'm going to ask a newbie question. make sense :)

I have installed Catalina on a MacBookPro mid 2010 (MBP 7.1). Installation was simple and smooth.

However, my system is staying at 10.15 it's not updating to 10.15.X , and when i try to look for updates none are found.

it's my understanding that if I download the latest dosdude patcher, it will also download the latest package available from Apple servers.

So my question is ... do I need to do a full reinstall each time a new version 10.15.X comes out or is there a less time consuming and less extreme way to do updates?

on a side note, tumbs up to Dosdude for fighting obsolescene. I use the mac only for surfing / email I'm not exactly sure why a 8GB machine with a 64 bits dual core Intel and an Intel SSD should go to the trashcan :)

Dilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
hello guys,
newbie here ... so as a newbie I'm going to ask a newbie question. make sense :)

I have installed Catalina on a MacBookPro mid 2010 (MBP 7.1). Installation was simple and smooth.

However, my system is staying at 10.15 it's not updading, and when i try to look for updates none are found.

it's my understanding that if I download the latest dosdude patcher, it will also download the latest package available from Apple servers.

So my question is ... do I need to do a full reinstall each time a new version 10.15.X comes out or is there a less time consuming and less extreme way to do updates?

Since Catalina is being installed on unsupported macs direct downloading updates from apple will not work. So Dosdude1 has implemented software update patch in 1.3.0.
Yes when ever there is a major update you have to follow whole exercise again but you can select option "install on this machine" instead of making a bootable usb and the update will override over the old version of OS as less time consuming method. However, you can update directly the security updates, safari updates from software update in preference.
[automerge]1576123088[/automerge]
ok, where do I find the new night shift for Catalina ?

You must be having patch update in utilities. Run that and select reinstall all patches. On the list you can select nightshift patch and install it again.
[automerge]1576123258[/automerge]
Well, I've tried everything and can't get 10.15.2 to install with the Patcher. Just not happening this time.

I don't know what the issue is but download latest dosdude1 patch version 1.3.0. Run it and let it download latest OS 10.15.2. Select install on this disk instead of making a bootable usb and thats it it will install over your existing 10.15.1. All patches will auto install according to your machine.
[automerge]1576123501[/automerge]
Let me tell some about my MBA4.2 update road from 10.15.1 to 10.15.2 ....
First time tried to "install to this machine" method. Before always did by recovery USB stick method
So... ALL OK! Siri, continuity, night shift and all other patches works well.
Have 2 propositions to @dosdude1
1. Will be good to see in future auto Airdrop installation in update sequence. I think if we can do so, will be no need to relogin to iCloud account after every update to have a full working continuity.
2. This guy @fabioroberto did a great thing to correct interface in some places in this post. It still works but need to install it manually. Maybe you can add it to the patcher?

And BIG BIG thanks for updating us! ))
You are right I have MBA4,2 too. However all post patches of Siri,Airdrop, Continuity , handoff has to be re installed after updating to 10.15.2. @dosdude1 is aware and probably will introduce the same in his patch as every machine has a different requirement and some work and some don't so its a tedious process but my guess he is working on it. Cheers

Last edited:

dougg3

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I'm running 10.15.1 on my iMac8,1. Using the dosdude1 patcher version 1.3.0 to download a copy of 10.15.2 and "Install to This Machine" doesn't seem to work. The download completes, the installer gets patched, and the installer runs, but when the installer reboots after its progress bar completes, the iMac just boots back into 10.15.1. I had this exact same problem trying to install 10.15.1 over 10.15 and ended up creating a USB drive to do the installation instead. I'm guessing the same thing will work this time too, but it's inconvenient. Any ideas? I've seen a lot of people in this thread report success with using the "Install to This Machine" option. Is there something special about the iMac8,1 that makes it incompatible with this approach?

Dilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
I'm running 10.15.1 on my iMac8,1. Using the dosdude1 patcher version 1.3.0 to download a copy of 10.15.2 and "Install to This Machine" doesn't seem to work. The download completes, the installer gets patched, and the installer runs, but when the installer reboots after its progress bar completes, the iMac just boots back into 10.15.1. I had this exact same problem trying to install 10.15.1 over 10.15 and ended up creating a USB drive to do the installation instead. I'm guessing the same thing will work this time too, but it's inconvenient. Any ideas? I've seen a lot of people in this thread report success with using the "Install to This Machine" option. Is there something special about the iMac8,1 that makes it incompatible with this approach?
My suggestion do the install using the usb bootable patched OS method. Its safer and may take a bit of time but it works.

cb4ii

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2019
Mac Mini5,1 up and running 10.15.2 without any pain from 10.15.1 via Dosdude's patcher 1.3.0 "Install on this machine".

Awesome!

Yiorlis59

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2019
Can someone please summarize how I can update my machine (MBP Mid 2009)? Can I just update via the native MacOS update system? Or do I have to install a new version of the patch updater? Do I have to completely download the current version and install it over the version I'm having right now? Thanks in advance!
I do have an mbps 5,5 myself!! Be more clear!! What is your current version?
I'm afraid you have to make a new installer
With the latest patcher! Unsupported macs
Can't update through sysprefs!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.